Day of the SB - Reflections

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

BB3_Oregon_Steel #1 Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:03 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1307 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

Ok, as the resident biplane noob girl here, I usually don't have much to add about gameplay or whether it's makes sense to trick out your F-86 because I don't play in those tiers, have no aircraft in those tiers and therefor have little to add.  I also don't crow too much about my exploits in my beloved biplanes because ... well, pretty much all of you have moved on well beyond that.  

However, last night something unusual happened and I have a couple of observations that I kind of would like to share just in case anyone cares to listen. 

Let's call this first part "Me and My SB".  The SB was my very first bomber sort of where I cut my teeth on "how to bom bom bom".  It's tier III so nothing earth shattering about it but she's fast, responsive and I have gleefully used her to sow destruction and confusion amongst the red planes.  

Normally, I don't have to overly worry about enemy fighters, you fly her up to about 2,000 meters and most of the fighters in the tiers she flies in really have to work to get up to her and would rather chase GAA's down closer to the ground. But last night was different. 

On three occasions, red enemy heavy fighters made determined efforts to knock my poor beloved SB out of the sky and her peaceful efforts to bomb red bases out of existence.

My first contestant in the "Let's shoot down my SB" club was a very persistent Fw 57.  I wasn't going to outrun her and she'd have cut me to ribbons if I ignored her so I scrambled back to my MG position put my plane in a tight left hand turn, hit the boost and started shooting away with my single 30 caliber.  

Normally that's not an effective reply to a aircraft packing a couple of 20mm's but the altitude was high enough that the SB could turn sharply enough to throw off his aim.  He'd swing around, fire some rounds, boom and zoom by me but I think what threw him off the most is that I'd continue my turn so that when he was turning back to me, I was facing him and chewing away at his plane with the two 30 caliber mgs in the SB's nose.  

Before long, the roles had actually reversed, I in my SB was actually chasing the Fw 57 around the sky.  It must have been very embarrassing for a mighty Heavy Fighter to actually be chased by a bomber  but I have to admit, it was awfully fun for me. :teethhappy:

After chasing the FW 57 off, I then had two Ao 192's try the same thing with similar results.  It did keep me off my bomb runs for a bit, but it also kept me alive and did significant damage to the planes I was shooting at.  

After the battle, I sat down and tried to figure out how this unusual fight had actually worked in my favor and I came up with the following. 

1) The Heavy fighters at low tiers aren't that much more maneuverable or a great deal faster than the SB which means maneuvering with the SB isn't just a waste of time.  She can make herself a harder target and even be the aggressor at high altitudes. 

2) She only has three MG's  but this is partially offset by the extended firing arcs of these weapons.  The Heavy Fighter has to be pointing it's nose at you to hit you most of the time but the SB doesn't.   Further, if you are in a sharp turn, this significant increases the utility of the rear gunners firing arc since the tilt of the airframe now allows it to fire at elevations both above and below your plane.  This makes the tactic of approaching a bomber from the rear and below far less effective. 

3) The two MG's in the SB's nose actually allows her to be aggressive in her reactions giving her at least the firepower of a light fighter and those guns ability to fire both above and below the bomber's altitude can make things a bit miserable for a heavy fighter attempting to maneuver around her for a better engagement angle. 

Yep, it was only one battle and it was an SB which means it might not be as applicable with other bombers and it's likely that a really skilled Heavy Fighter pilot could counter the tactic. But it was kind of fun chasing heavy fighters around and shooing them downward searching for less frustrating prey leaving me to bomb once again in peace. 

Now if they would only introduce biplane bombers to the game, my life would be complete!!!

BIPLANE BOMBERS AWAY!!!  :izmena:

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel, 18 July 2019 - 10:10 PM.

"Don't mess with me because I can squish you like a bug, that is If I should decide to notice your existence in the first place".  

Yes, it's haughty and its arrogant but you're a battleship with 16 inch guns and Britannia Rules the Waves.  Maybe a bit of arrogance in this case is appropriate.  

Captain_Underpants53 #2 Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:02 PM

Captain

• 24093 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

Cool  The Ar-2 is quite similar.

:medal:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

comtedumas #3 Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6887 battles
  • [FK] FK
Spend the $7 to get the Blenheim, its well worth the money.  

Dell Inspiron 5675 Ryzen 1700X

32 GB Ram

500Gb Samsung Evo 960 game drive

Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD - CT250MX500SSD4

AMD RX 580 8GB video card.  

Captain_Underpants53 #4 Posted 19 July 2019 - 12:02 AM

Captain

• 24093 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Postcomtedumas, on 18 July 2019 - 06:10 PM, said:

Yes.   Makes getting silver look easy.

:medal:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

BB3_Oregon_Steel #5 Posted 19 July 2019 - 12:04 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1307 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Postcomtedumas, on 18 July 2019 - 03:10 PM, said:

Thanks guys, I actually have both along with the Do-17 Z and the HE-111 H-2.  I've just never had the experience of actually chasing heavy fighters around the sky in one of those ... yet.  :playing:

It's kind of hard to be a biplane girl in a bomber is this game so I do need to delve into the monoplane waters a bit to bom bom bom stuffs. It is indeed a trial and tribulation but one must endure.  :P  

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel, 19 July 2019 - 12:05 AM.

"Don't mess with me because I can squish you like a bug, that is If I should decide to notice your existence in the first place".  

Yes, it's haughty and its arrogant but you're a battleship with 16 inch guns and Britannia Rules the Waves.  Maybe a bit of arrogance in this case is appropriate.  

Captain_Underpants53 #6 Posted 19 July 2019 - 12:12 AM

Captain

• 24093 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostBB3_Oregon_Steel, on 18 July 2019 - 07:04 PM, said:

Thanks guys, I actually have both along with the Do-17 Z and the HE-111 H-2.  I've just never had the experience of actually chasing heavy fighters around the sky in one of those ... yet.  :playing:

It's kind of hard to be a biplane girl in a bomber is this game so I do need to delve into the monoplane waters a bit to bom bom bom stuffs. It is indeed a trial and tribulation but one must endure.  :P  

LOL.  Keep on keeping on!

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

jonnymule74 #7 Posted 19 July 2019 - 12:19 AM

Master Sergeant

• 5518 battles

Great story, actually felt like I was there!

:izmena:

Ask me if I GAF.......

CorvusCorvax #8 Posted 19 July 2019 - 12:21 AM

Captain

• 4278 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostBB3_Oregon_Steel, on 18 July 2019 - 08:03 PM, said:

Normally, I don't have to overly worry about enemy fighters, you fly her up to about 2,000 meters and most of the fighters in the tiers she flies in really have to work to get up to her and would rather chase GAA's down closer to the ground. But last night was different. 

No kidding on that work part.  The FW-57 is a great plane but climbing up to 2k meters is NOT what that plane does best.  It used to be much better in the 1.x game where altitude really did make a big difference.  These days, hunting anything at 2k meters would be a VERY serious chore.

I liked the SB, but I didn't like the Ar-2 very much.  THe SB felt decent at T3, but the Ar-2 felt like wet dog poo at T4.  The He-111 and Blenheim are SOOOOOO much better at T4.  And the comment about the silver production is spot-on.

trikke #9 Posted 19 July 2019 - 01:06 AM

Captain

• 3626 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
great idea for a thread, BB3
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

comtedumas #10 Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6887 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostBB3_Oregon_Steel, on 18 July 2019 - 07:04 PM, said:

wait until you get A26 then.  Some call it a heavy fighter.

Dell Inspiron 5675 Ryzen 1700X

32 GB Ram

500Gb Samsung Evo 960 game drive

Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD - CT250MX500SSD4

AMD RX 580 8GB video card.  

hoom #11 Posted 19 July 2019 - 03:32 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10203 battles

Welcome to the world of Player Bomber seeking Missiles aka bot Heavies.

In SB you can fight the Heavies it sees or drag out the chase long enough for the game to end.

In AR-2 & subsequent tiers you're up against much faster, more deadly Heavies with higher altitude caps than you -> when they want you dead you are.

Edited by hoom, 19 July 2019 - 03:33 AM.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users