Jump to content


Yak-9. That gun is brutal.

derp gun Yak-9 sniper

  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

CorvusCorvax #1 Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:03 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 4271 battles
  • 4,435
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

I have been taking the Yak MRF line sort of casual, taking it out every now and then, just for shiz-n-giggles.  That 45mm hub cannon give the giggles.  Yak-1M waaaaaay over there?  BOOM.  That ADA way up there?  BOOM.  Clear the mining plant flak guns for a B-32?  Absolutely, one pass.  Hey, here comes an IL-2(t).  First shot, crit engine. Fly by, turn, come back, two more 45s and BOOM.  Me-410 comes down below 1000m?  Crushed.  Never double-critted a P-38 before.  Hey, they don't fly very well with no engines.

 

But I'm having trouble deciding if I want to work toward the Yak-9U, or just hold at T6.  I mean, it is a great MRF at T6, and a good contrast to the T6 FW-190.  But the Dora is my favorite MRF, and a Yak-9U might take time away.

 

Why should I pick up the -9U, other than giggle-derping at a tier higher?


Edited by CorvusCorvax, 21 June 2019 - 04:58 PM.


LMG #2 Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:16 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 2436 battles
  • 1,977
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 21 June 2019 - 12:03 AM, said:

Why should I pick up the -9U, other than giggle-derping at a tier higher?

 

Aside of the plane having better handling and better back-up guns, clicking tier 7 and 8s is exactly why people fly the Yak-9U :izmena:


This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

SpiritFoxMY #3 Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:54 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 4908 battles
  • 2,739
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    12-31-2012
I didn't particularly like the 9U. The 9 was great but I felt the 9U too limited in performance for its tier. 

***

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end


hoom #4 Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:03 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 10171 battles
  • 2,008
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

I didn't really like the 9u so much, the 20mm 2ndaries overheat quicker than the main gun.

You can fix it by using a separate main-gun-only keybind but I never really got that to work properly.

 

The real reason to move on to the 9u is so that after it you can work your way through the sluggish Su-9 (45mm derp and 23mm 2ndaries) to the magnificent I-211 (3* mega 37mm derps in the nose) and I-215 (2* 57m ultra-derps in the nose).


Edited by hoom, 21 June 2019 - 01:30 PM.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

SpiritFoxMY #5 Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:43 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 4908 battles
  • 2,739
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    12-31-2012
I like the Su-9. I'm working towards Specialization for it

***

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end


CorvusCorvax #6 Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:59 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 4271 battles
  • 4,435
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 21 June 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

I like the Su-9. I'm working towards Specialization for it

You're the first one I've heard who likes the Su-9.

 

What, aside from derp, do you like about this plane?



SpiritFoxMY #7 Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:12 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 4908 battles
  • 2,739
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    12-31-2012

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 21 June 2019 - 07:59 PM, said:

You're the first one I've heard who likes the Su-9.

 

What, aside from derp, do you like about this plane?

 

I find the handling to be surprisingly docile. Its backup guns are also pretty potent (basically it has the Yak-15's firepower besides the derp) and it has the hilarious power of sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow. It's not quite the Pancake but, to quote Reitousair, it doesn't lose any controllability right up until stall, so you can pull some pretty funky maneuvers at extremely low speeds. It bleeds speed easily while having the boost power to recover it pretty easily as well too, so speed control is pretty painless. 

 

One of my most memorable moments in the thing was outmaneuvering a Yak-3RD simply by causing him to constantly overshoot (well, twice - I didn't miss the second time) and I've had Reitousair outmaneuver my P-80A in it just by flying right at the edge of stall and dodging until I made a mistake.

 

So yeah - it isn't a carry airplane, not by a long shot, but it has pleasant flight characteristics and some hilarious tricks up its sleeve plus a reputation as a terrible airplane. And you know me and flying planes that "common knowledge" has proclaimed trash.


***

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end


CorvusCorvax #8 Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:18 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 4271 battles
  • 4,435
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 21 June 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

 

I find the handling to be surprisingly docile. Its backup guns are also pretty potent (basically it has the Yak-15's firepower besides the derp) and it has the hilarious power of sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow. It's not quite the Pancake but, to quote Reitousair, it doesn't lose any controllability right up until stall, so you can pull some pretty funky maneuvers at extremely low speeds. It bleeds speed easily while having the boost power to recover it pretty easily as well too, so speed control is pretty painless. 

 

One of my most memorable moments in the thing was outmaneuvering a Yak-3RD simply by causing him to constantly overshoot (well, twice - I didn't miss the second time) and I've had Reitousair outmaneuver my P-80A in it just by flying right at the edge of stall and dodging until I made a mistake.

 

So yeah - it isn't a carry airplane, not by a long shot, but it has pleasant flight characteristics and some hilarious tricks up its sleeve plus a reputation as a terrible airplane. And you know me and flying planes that "common knowledge" has proclaimed trash.


I am slowly coming to the understanding that those so-called "trash" airplanes are being called that because people aren't flying them right.  If I hadn't watched you play the FW-190, no way would I have picked mine up again.  The T6 flavor is just plain joy.  For all of my love of the ridiculous P.1092 and P.1101 planes, those are dead-simple to fly and fight well.  Some of these others take a bit of work, but reward you with LOL deletions at a kilometer away.



Jockobeans #9 Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:26 AM

    Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 806 battles
  • 30
  • Member since:
    10-02-2015

I haven't gone down the Russian tiers, but those Yak-9s with their 45mm always have me go: "wut?" followed by me cussing out a hairy bovi...… errrr, plane.

 

It's all fun and games in my XFL-1 until a Yak-9 gets a good lead.:(


Edited by Jockobeans, 22 June 2019 - 04:27 AM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users