Flak AAA anti-aircraft

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

CorvusCorvax #21 Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:47 PM

Captain

• 4278 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostBadlatitude, on 13 August 2019 - 09:18 AM, said:

I died by "bomb" last night. I guess someone dropped one from high altitude and I flew right into it lol

I had that happen twice in the same battle, over the same cap area.  High-altitude bomber dropped a bomb and blowed me up while I was defending against GAA.

Exploderated, even.

hoom #22 Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:43 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10208 battles

Bomb kills are an entirely intended thing, you even get an Achievement for it.

There are two ways:

Drop bomb so that the enemy is in the explosion radius -a common GA defensive tactic, also useful against GA & sometimes defensively by Multiroles, generally random cases in bombers

Direct impact -personally I've only had this once or twice & by pure random chance but there are people out there who have video evidence that they're able to pull it off very much intentionally.

As to the OP random flak thing I've been meaning to dig this thread up because I've definitely been suffering this with some frequency.

I even saw one happen low over a friendly Airfield on a map where the closest enemy cap was on the other side & there were no enemy planes on our side of the map, heard flak explosion, turned camera around & saw flak burst smoke.

Some cases I've been aware of a Yak-9/9u being around but should be way outside their range like they're 2+km out & in one case according to radar facing the other direction.

Could be a bug where Yak-9/9u bots are able to land hits at stupid ranges.

But it sounds like a flak hit rather than the chonk of a high-calibre plane hit.

Edited by hoom, 14 August 2019 - 01:52 AM.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

GrumpyReign #23 Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:28 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3490 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostBadlatitude, on 13 August 2019 - 02:18 AM, said:

I died by "bomb" last night. I guess someone dropped one from high altitude and I flew right into it lol

okay, it's not just me.. only had it happen once like a month ago when i was real sure i was way too high to catch shockwave

Yes, I am an A-S-S.

I am welcomed in the home of ravens and other scavengers in the wake of warriors.
I am friend to carrion crows and wolves.
I am carry me and kill with me and die with me where the road ends.
I am not the honeyed promise of length of life in years to come,
I am the iron promise of never being a slave.

GrumpyReign #24 Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:34 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3490 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Posthoom, on 13 August 2019 - 06:43 PM, said:

Bomb kills are an entirely intended thing, you even get an Achievement for it.

There are two ways:

Drop bomb so that the enemy is in the explosion radius -a common GA defensive tactic, also useful against GA & sometimes defensively by Multiroles, generally random cases in bombers

Direct impact -personally I've only had this once or twice & by pure random chance but there are people out there who have video evidence that they're able to pull it off very much intentionally.

As to the OP random flak thing I've been meaning to dig this thread up because I've definitely been suffering this with some frequency.

I even saw one happen low over a friendly Airfield on a map where the closest enemy cap was on the other side & there were no enemy planes on our side of the map, heard flak explosion, turned camera around & saw flak burst smoke.

Some cases I've been aware of a Yak-9/9u being around but should be way outside their range like they're 2+km out & in one case according to radar facing the other direction.

Could be a bug where Yak-9/9u bots are able to land hits at stupid ranges.

But it sounds like a flak hit rather than the chonk of a high-calibre plane hit.

okay, i wonder if this isn't related somehow: i've noticed lately that i regularly catch "phantom" damage.. most frequently it's ~30s or so after respawn, and seems only to happen to fighters.. i'll be flying along and not having engaged anything or gotten anywhere near a hostile cap and out of nowhere, TINK! and i take 1-2 points of damage. generally this is pretty innocuous.. but then when it happens after i've just left an engagement and am in clear skies.. this is where it gets rough, because the damage is more significant AND it just *loves* to crit engines. and i've no explanation for it.

is this just me?

Yes, I am an A-S-S.

I am welcomed in the home of ravens and other scavengers in the wake of warriors.
I am friend to carrion crows and wolves.
I am carry me and kill with me and die with me where the road ends.
I am not the honeyed promise of length of life in years to come,
I am the iron promise of never being a slave.

hoom #25 Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:06 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10208 battles

Thats a different thing & has been around for ages. (though new random flak bursts may have same underlying cause)

Can't get any official comment on it from WG confirming it as a bug or intended.

It might be an intended random thing representing soldiers on the ground popshotting with rifles/machineguns.

But most people assume its a random failure of the game to kill shots at max range -> they travel across the map & hit at random locations.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Also tagged with Flak, AAA, anti-aircraft

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users