Not being one of the GAA gods, playing it can be frustrating.

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

CorvusCorvax #1 Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:41 PM

Captain

• 3142 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

The IL-8 is slow.  Stupid slow.  Slower than the T4 LBSh, in fact.  And on the giant maps (Hi, Cold Peak!), you can spend more time in transit than on target.  I have to suffer through the IL-8 to get to the IL-20, I know.  At least the guns can wreck stuff over a kilometer away.  That's nice.  I don't have to put up with low-level AA, at least.  But dang, it is SLOW.  At least the Me-265 can get out of its own way.  And anti-air?  The Me-265 is a mean aircraft.  The IL-8 isn't, really.  I like it, though.  The bombs and rockets and guns mean that everything is one-pass, except mining plants.  Those are two-pass.

The Me-265 can defend itself just fine, but it takes longer to cap anything.  Luckily, the plane gets between cap areas pretty well.  I'm not going to free-XP anything on these lines of aircraft.  By the time I get to T10, I want to be able to run around the map one-passing everything, and hoist a middle finger to everything except the most dedicated human HF pilot.

I'd like to thank Captain Underpants for carrying me last night.  The IL-8 was able to do some support work, but the Cpt. did the heavy lifting for us.

losttwo #2 Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:07 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 2240 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Cant you choose the IL-10 instead.

Personally I never really did the IL-8. I do not even think I researched it.

Did the side loop on the IL-10 because it was better at dog fighting than the IL-8

Heck it was just all around better.

Go for the 10 you will like it better than the 8.

Of course I don't really know. I never flew the IL-8

losttwo #3 Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:10 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 2240 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
Just checked and yeah. I never had an IL-8

SpiritFoxMY #4 Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:10 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4304 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
IL-8 is a lot more ponderous but those 45mms are nice. Its at least viable unlike the IL-2(t) which is just...no.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Booze_Morgan #5 Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:11 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 445 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

The IL-8, as you probably already know, is training for the IL-20, which is one of my favourite GAs, even though it is slow, ponderous, but oh so devastating. Just grind through the 8, I get your frustration and complaints, I had them too, but I still like the 8.  That kind of ground pounding is a specific kind of pleasure, sometimes an acquired taste.

IM very HO, the grind is worth it to get to the works of ground ponding art known as the IL 40 and 40P.  And if you epic one out, UH MUH GAWD they can run a battle.

Yeah, the Germans' experience is different, and I like the 265 on up to the T10, every one of them.  What I fly (in my other) depends on my mood.

Booze

Spoiler

Booze_Morgan #6 Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:14 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 445 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View Postlosttwo, on 11 June 2019 - 10:07 AM, said:

Cant you choose the IL-10 instead.

Personally I never really did the IL-8. I do not even think I researched it.

Did the side loop on the IL-10 because it was better at dog fighting than the IL-8

Heck it was just all around better.

Go for the 10 you will like it better than the 8.

Of course I don't really know. I never flew the IL-8

In a previous age, the IL-10 was good only for hunting IL-8s.:teethhappy:  The 10 is more like training for the IL 40 and 40P, IMHO.  Not flown it in 2.0.  I am wondering if it's more like flying a heavier IL-10M.  Dunno.

Booze

Spoiler

LMG #7 Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

Fun fact, the IL-8 is 65km/h faster than the IL-2 (t) (440 km/h vs 375 km/h), and only 10km/h slower than the LBSh (450 km/h). And sadly it also doesn't get Engine Cooling (the best consumable for a GAA) until it is specialized, which is a problem I'll get to in a bit.

Anyways, with the IL-8 you basically play it like a better IL-2 (t), making the most out of your ordnance and guns to cap everything as quickly as possible, making up for the time it gets there. Keep in mind you won't get anywhere fast and think ahead (for example, if a bomber flight is about to attack a sector you're going to, it will probably reach it before or right after you get there). Sadly, the poor thing loses the six bombs when specialized, which means you either have to pick the arguably proper way to fly the thing or the option to use better equipment and engine cooling :(

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

CorvusCorvax #8 Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:17 PM

Captain

• 3142 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostLMG, on 11 June 2019 - 04:38 PM, said:

Fun fact, the IL-8 is 65km/h faster than the IL-2 (t) (440 km/h vs 375 km/h), and only 10km/h slower than the LBSh (450 km/h). And sadly it also doesn't get Engine Cooling (the best consumable for a GAA) until it is specialized, which is a problem I'll get to in a bit.

Anyways, with the IL-8 you basically play it like a better IL-2 (t), making the most out of your ordnance and guns to cap everything as quickly as possible, making up for the time it gets there. Keep in mind you won't get anywhere fast and think ahead (for example, if a bomber flight is about to attack a sector you're going to, it will probably reach it before or right after you get there). Sadly, the poor thing loses the six bombs when specialized, which means you either have to pick the arguably proper way to fly the thing or the option to use better equipment and engine cooling :(

The above reasons are why I'm not going to cry too hard when I graduate to the IL-20.  For T7, I'll keep the Me-265.  But I'll not keep the IL-8.  I picked it because of how much ordnance it could carry, and those guns.  But the IL-20 might be a keeper at T8.  I know for sure I'll keep the IL-40, and the IL-40P.  The IL-20 is ugly, but I have seen how a good pilot can make that thing own a map.  I aspire to that kind of ownership.

THe IL-8 is a stepping stone.  But damn, getting through it is a grind.  I have to fly it another 10-15 times to get the IL-20.  Uhhhghhh.

On the upside, I am flying GAA this week in order to get to the T10 bomber choice - Su-10 or EF-131.  I still haven't chosen, but I will...

poppavein #9 Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:29 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3189 battles

I have 187 sorties in the IL-10.  I have 2 in the IL-8.  Loved and specialized the IL-10, hated the IL-8.

In my hands, the IL-10 was more maneuverable and could actually hit targets.

But it appears that LMG prefers the IL-8 so I should take another look.

Booze_Morgan #10 Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 445 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View Postpoppavein, on 11 June 2019 - 01:29 PM, said:

I have 187 sorties in the IL-10.  I have 2 in the IL-8.  Loved and specialized the IL-10, hated the IL-8.

In my hands, the IL-10 was more maneuverable and could actually hit targets.

But it appears that LMG prefers the IL-8 so I should take another look.

It's the difference in guns going ratta tatta tata tata tata, or BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM.  You fly the style you feel like flying.

Booze

Spoiler

BuffaloTime #11 Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:48 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 10275 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
GAA God. Not I, but I have flown more attack than any other since 2.0. Too many dailies required ground targets or capture sectors. All are special. Personal favorite, NC-1070. Use guns for soft, rockets to finish. Bombs for big armored targets. Don't dogfight! If they fly in front of your guns, shoot but don't chase. Save a bomb for those that get to close. I had a P-40 chasing me in the Lbsh, dropped all four. Good times. 

Edited by BuffaloTime, 11 June 2019 - 07:48 PM.

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.
Damon Runyon

Demons run when a good man goes to war.

poppavein #12 Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:06 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3189 battles

View PostBooze_Morgan, on 11 June 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

It's the difference in guns going ratta tatta tata tata tata, or BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM.  You fly the style you feel like flying.

Booze

With me, it's more like <miss> <miss> BOOM! <miss> <miss> <miss>.

Aircraft Most ground targets destroyed per sortie
IL-8 2
IL-10 16

Booze_Morgan #13 Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 445 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View PostBuffaloTime, on 11 June 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

GAA God. Not I, but I have flown more attack than any other since 2.0. Too many dailies required ground targets or capture sectors. All are special. Personal favorite, NC-1070. Use guns for soft, rockets to finish. Bombs for big armored targets. Don't dogfight! If they fly in front of your guns, shoot but don't chase. Save a bomb for those that get to close. I had a P-40 chasing me in the Lbsh, dropped all four. Good times. 

It took you 4 bombs to kill a P-40?

Not flown the Frenchie GA since a WAAAY long time ago. May have to fly her again just to see...

Booze

Spoiler

Booze_Morgan #14 Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:09 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 445 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View Postpoppavein, on 11 June 2019 - 02:06 PM, said:

With me, it's more like <miss> <miss> BOOM! <miss> <miss> <miss>.

Aircraft Most ground targets destroyed per sortie
IL-8 2
IL-10 16

Laughing. You shooting at planes or GTs with that 8?  Hard to miss a GT. Heck, you hit beside it, you can make it disappear. 

Booze

Spoiler

BuffaloTime #15 Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:43 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 10275 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostBooze_Morgan, on 11 June 2019 - 03:07 PM, said:

It took you 4 bombs to kill a P-40?

Not flown the Frenchie GA since a WAAAY long time ago. May have to fly her again just to see...

Booze

No, l  just wanted to. 

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.
Damon Runyon

Demons run when a good man goes to war.

White_Widow18 #16 Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 7324 battles
  • [I_D] I_D
Not going to click to read Cravens' Cawings.. just going to remind him of advice he's given to so many others:

Fly more, forum less. Might be less frustrating if you knew what you were doing.
"Opinions are like certain body parts. Everyone has them and most of the time they stink."
Things said to me when I've won:

CorvusCorvax #17 Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:34 PM

Captain

• 3142 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostWhite_Widow18, on 11 June 2019 - 08:55 PM, said:

Not going to click to read Cravens' Cawings.. just going to remind him of advice he's given to so many others:

Fly more, forum less. Might be less frustrating if you knew what you were doing.

The butthurt is strong.

I laugh at you, laugh out loud, and the best part?

You felt the need to respond.  I live in your head.  I now own you.

But, because the subject actually has interest to other people, I will discuss the actual topic, rather than my complete forum ownership of your headspace.

I have the NC1070.  It's a good plane, and does good GAA work.  But it doesn't grind Soviet or German GAA tech tree planes or pilots.  When I need ground target missions for tokens, I'll bust out the RB-17 or the NC1070.  Both of them are very good at doing the token missions.  But they don't get much for me in the way of progress toward the next tier tree plane.  For the Germans and the Soviet tree planes, I plan on owning the T9 and T10 planes, and specializing them so that when I need to have missions that I need to take capture points or win battles, I'll have planes that can hard carry on their own, regardless of whether or not I have Cpt. Underwear along.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #18 Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:34 PM

Captain

• 919 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostWhite_Widow18, on 11 June 2019 - 03:55 PM, said:

You have no power here! Begone, before somebody drops a house on you, too!

happy birthday WW

hehe

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

no_trace_of_sanity #19 Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:43 PM

Senior Airman

• 3242 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

I've enjoyed all my il planes, spec'd them all, now trying to get used to doing some bomber flying....and the il 40 and 40p will spoil you once you reach them....

CorvusCorvax #20 Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:44 PM

Captain

• 3142 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 11 June 2019 - 09:34 PM, said:

You have no power here! Begone, before somebody drops a house on you, too!

LULZ.  THe witch that got the house crushing had no lines, had no credit, and provided nothing of value to the movie or story, other than a revenge motive for the other movie loser.

But ACE, here's a question for you:  how do you compensate with skill for a plane that has no speed?  That's a curious critique.  But since you're a smart guy, I know that you, for sure, will have an answer.  It might not be a good answer, but it will interesting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users