INCREDIBLE USAF B-52 Stratofortress SHORT Approach into RAF Fairford after Fly Past! (2019)

bombers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

pirat262 #1 Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:07 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 10322 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

trikke #2 Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:18 AM

Captain

• 3192 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

shaky handheld cell phone videos make me queasy         but nice landing 

how/why are we still flying these dinosaurs?       i suppose that some dinosaurs would still be dangerous today

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Captain_Underpants53 #3 Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:23 AM

First Lieutenant

• 19778 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

View Posttrikke, on 21 May 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

how/why are we still flying these dinosaurs?       i suppose that some dinosaurs would still be dangerous today

Tons of bombs and oodles of investment in updates.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

GeisterKatze #4 Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:34 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 37 battles
  • [7CR] 7CR

My Dad flew "Buffs" in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.  From '69 to '73 he was stationed at Anderson AFB, Guam.  My Grandma(his mom), Dad's wife(of course), my sister and I were living on-base.  I have to say that for a kid in that time to be living on what was essentially a tropical paradise was WAY COOL!! 

Anyways, certain mission-profiles would take off from Anderson fully armed to hit targets in Viet Nam.  I remember watching them all taking off one day.  The Buffs would dump a few tons of jet-fuel exhaust into the atmosphere, lift off the runway about 10 feet, then drop off the cliff at the end(Above Tarague Beach) due to "loss of ground-effect".  You'd normally see them about 30 seconds later as they climbed out.  

One day the Buffs are polluting away and the one in front of my Dads had a serious engine-related mishap resulting in the loss of 4 engines.  My Dad says that as he got off the runway, dropped down, and started to climb he could see the Buff in front of him struggling to stay off the water.  Dad says almost every pilot was yelling for the crippled Buff's pilots to "Pickle everything!!", which he finally did after gaining some altitude.  That put 84 Mk. 82 500 pound bombs out of the bomb-bay in a few seconds along with 24 more Mk. 82s off the wing-mounts.  All told 54,000 pounds of bombs hit the ocean off Tarague Beach in the space of a few seconds, which was quite a sight to behold!

The pilots were able to bring the crippled Buff in with just the four engines in an approach/final that looked more like a Piper Cubs final!

My Dad tells me that in his 20 years of flying that event was the most amazing display of piloting he'd ever seen.  This coming from a man who regularly performed LABS maneuvers in B-47s!

This is a nice movie taken of Anderson AFB in that time.  The last minute or so is actually of Apra Harbor, over by Agana.  This was the "Navy-side".  My Mom usually took us shopping there as for some strange reason the Navy Exchange and Commissary had more variety than the Air Force stores.

Edited by GeisterKatze, 22 May 2019 - 02:36 PM.

My Dad

he flew J-3 Cubs, AT-6 Texans, T-33 Shooting Stars, B-47 StratoJets, and B-52 StratoFortresses.

Captain_Underpants53 #5 Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:05 PM

First Lieutenant

• 19778 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

View PostGeisterKatze, on 22 May 2019 - 09:34 AM, said:

My Dad flew "Buffs" in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.  From '69 to '73 he was stationed at Anderson AFB, Guam.  My Grandma(his mom), Dad's wife(of course), my sister and I were living on-base.  I have to say that for a kid in that time to be living on what was essentially a tropical paradise was WAY COOL!! 

Anyways, certain mission-profiles would take off from Anderson fully armed to hit targets in Viet Nam.  I remember watching them all taking off one day.  The Buffs would dump a few tons of jet-fuel exhaust into the atmosphere, lift off the runway about 10 feet, then drop off the cliff at the end(Above Tarague Beach) due to "loss of ground-effect".  You'd normally see them about 30 seconds later as they climbed out.  

One day the Buffs are polluting away and the one in front of my Dads had a serious engine-related mishap resulting in the loss of 4 engines.  My Dad says that as he got off the runway, dropped down, and started to climb he could see the Buff in front of him struggling to stay off the water.  Dad says almost every pilot was yelling for the crippled Buff's pilots to "Pickle everything!!", which he finally did after gaining some altitude.  That put 84 Mk. 82 500 pound bombs out of the bomb-bay in a few seconds along with 24 more Mk. 82s off the wing-mounts.  All told 54,000 pounds of bombs hit the ocean off Tarague Beach in the space of a few seconds, which was quite a sight to behold!

The pilots were able to bring the crippled Buff in with just the four engines in an approach/final that looked more like a Piper Cubs final!

My Dad tells me that in his 20 years of flying that event was the most amazing display of piloting he'd ever seen.  This coming from a man who regularly performed LABS maneuvers in B-47s!

This is a nice movie taken of Anderson AFB in that time.  The last minute or so is actually of Apra Harbor, over by Agana.  This was the "Navy-side".  My Mom usually took us shopping there as for some strange reason the Navy Exchange and Commissary had more variety than the Air Force stores.

:medal:

Brings back memories as I was stationed there in 69 and 70 as an Electronic Warfare Repairman on the BUFFs.  If my memory serves me, there were two incidents where the B-52s didn't make it off the point.  I believe with a total loss of the crews.

My first year there we would go to the beach every chance we could.  My second year, not so much.  Island fever had set in.  Anyway, on my first outing to Tarague Beach I was looking for a parking spot and found a great one under the coconut palms.  Real nice and shady, too.  As I was walking away from the car and wondering why that parking spot was available (parking was limited and tight), I hear a loud KERSMASH behind me.  The car parked next to mine received a direct hit on the windshield from a coconut.  I moved my car very quickly!  LOL

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

GeisterKatze #6 Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:42 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 37 battles
  • [7CR] 7CR

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 22 May 2019 - 10:05 AM, said:

:medal:

Brings back memories as I was stationed there in 69 and 70 as an Electronic Warfare Repairman on the BUFFs.  If my memory serves me, there were two incidents where the B-52s didn't make it off the point.  I believe with a total loss of the crews.

My first year there we would go to the beach every chance we could.  My second year, not so much.  Island fever had set in.  Anyway, on my first outing to Tarague Beach I was looking for a parking spot and found a great one under the coconut palms.  Real nice and shady, too.  As I was walking away from the car and wondering why that parking spot was available (parking was limited and tight), I hear a loud KERSMASH behind me.  The car parked next to mine received a direct hit on the windshield from a coconut.  I moved my car very quickly!  LOL

Tarague was great though, wasn't it!  We all got our "Reef Passes" and my Dad and I learned to SCUBA there.  Years later while serving in the Navy I decided to upgrade.  When I showed up for class with my twin Alcoa "long" 80s, USD twin first-stage and dual-hose regulator the SCUBA instructor lost it...refused to let me use that gear saying it was unsafe.  I countered, showing her dives to over 180' OFF the reef with full decompression.  But yeah, I have good memories of Tarague and Ritidan.  The only Coconut that ever got Mom and Dad's car was during one of the Typhoons, in '70 or '71.  It was embedded into the left-rear quarter-panel of the old Vista Cruiser!

My Dad

he flew J-3 Cubs, AT-6 Texans, T-33 Shooting Stars, B-47 StratoJets, and B-52 StratoFortresses.

Captain_Underpants53 #7 Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:58 PM

First Lieutenant

• 19778 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

I never got into the scuba thing.  At that time, with my rank and forced to live on the economy, I simply couldn't afford it.  But I really did enjoy the snorkeling!

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Deltavee #8 Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:04 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2442 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View Posttrikke, on 21 May 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

Because it has VERY long legs (the four recently sent for Iran overwatch are based in England) and can deliver the following below.  TY https://www.stratofo...-operations.htm

Note the standoff capability under "Missles" and Nuclear."  It doesn't actually need to penetrate enemy territory. 

May as well throw this in; Both the Americans and the Russians are working on hypersonic (Mach 5+) cruise missiles, no defence at the present time from these but you can bet the BUFF will be able to carry them.  The B-52 will still be operational into the 2040's meaning the last B-52 pilot has not been born yet!

CONVENTIONAL

Bombs

• MK82 (500 lb) - 51
  • MK84 (2000 lb) - 18
  • MK117 (750 lb) - 51
  • BDU-48 - 17

CBU

• CBU-87 - 40
  • CBU-89 - 42

Laser Guided

• GBU-10 - 8 to 10
  • GBU-12 - 10
  • GBU-28 - 4

Other Advanced

• JDAM - 12 JSOW - 12 (in development) WCMD - 16

Missiles

• Conventional Air Launched Cruise Missiles (CALCM) - 20
  • Harpoon (Anti-Ship Missile) - 8
  • AGM-142 (television guided missile) - 4 [Normal load is 3 with a controller, 4 can be carried with a "hand off to another aircraft with a controller pod installed.]

Mines

• MK56 - 20
  • MK62 - 51
  • MK63 - 18
  • MK65 - 18

NUCLEAR

• Advanced Cruise Missiles (ACM) - 12
  • Air Launched Cruise Missiles (ALCM) - 20
  • Bombs - 8

Deltavee

Sic Itur Ad Astra

Such is the pathway to the stars

Flying NA and EU

ClosedCoffin #9 Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:15 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 7564 battles
  • [MRCS] MRCS

Well GeisterKatze now I need to try some parabolic bombing, in game of course:great:.

oh yeah,forgot about the ,no bombing allowed Red zone.:(

Edited by ClosedCoffin, 23 May 2019 - 02:19 AM.

GeisterKatze #10 Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:02 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 37 battles
  • [7CR] 7CR

View PostClosedCoffin, on 22 May 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

Well GeisterKatze now I need to try some parabolic bombing, in game of course:great:.

oh yeah,forgot about the ,no bombing allowed Red zone.:(

Yeah that would be fun in the higher-tier bombers...not so much in say a JU-88!  Deltavee, I believe the Buff has been guaranteed out to 2050 now.  I for one believe Boeing should start the line back up.  I was very disappointed when the U.S. Navy/Congress chose the Boeing 737 for the P-8 for personal reasons.  The Tail-Fin, Tail Section, Forward Entry Door, Overwing Exits, Wing-to-Body Fairings, and Tail Cone are all manufactured in China...sad.

But they could easily put out some more Buffs.  And Elbit(current owner of Fairchild/Republic) would make some good money if they'd start the A10 line back up.

Edited by GeisterKatze, 23 May 2019 - 11:04 AM.

My Dad

mad_dog_morgan #11 Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:53 AM

Master Sergeant

• 8057 battles
  • [DAA] DAA
the buffs are still along with the other why it's still one of the few planes that can wipe out a fair chunk of a small city with one load of conventional bombs and travel thousands of clicks to do it 

Also tagged with bombers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users