Clear Cache on Startup

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

GeorgePatton #1 Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:03 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1608 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD

I've seen so many bugs/issues in this game that are easily fixed by clearing the cache before starting the game. Would it be simple for Wargaming to program the launcher to clear the cache before opening the game by default? I don't know too much about how the cache works, so would this potentially be a bad idea? I feel like it's a good idea since it never seems to hurt when we manually clear the cache.

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

Deltavee #2 Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:59 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 2807 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View PostGeorgePatton, on 20 May 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

I've seen so many bugs/issues in this game that are easily fixed by clearing the cache before starting the game. Would it be simple for Wargaming to program the launcher to clear the cache before opening the game by default? I don't know too much about how the cache works, so would this potentially be a bad idea? I feel like it's a good idea since it never seems to hurt when we manually clear the cache.

Cheers!
Glenn

They pretty much have that in place already.  I always start the game using the drop-down on the right side of the Play button and selecting the top option which is "Launch the game and clear it's cached data."  I also have a piece of software I grabbed a couple of years ago sitting on my desktop independent of the gaming centre that clears the cache as well so I do both every single time I play.

I've managed to avoid some of the more irritating errors in the game over, well, since 2.0.5, actually.  Not all *cough* joystick *cough* but many, so maybe it is attritutable to habitual cache cleaning.  I never just push Play.  As you say, it can't hurt.

Deltavee

Sic Itur Ad Astra

Such is the pathway to the stars

Flying NA and EU

Captain_Underpants53 #3 Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:02 PM

Captain

• 24178 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
It used to be (before the necessity to clear chache constantly) that you could look over every battle you've had that day.  Sadly, those days are gone.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Silvin #4 Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:17 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2111 battles
  • [SF] SF

The cache is there for performance reasons: the game starts faster by pulling information from your local cache than by remotely fetching that information from the game servers.

Caching is a technology that has been around for at least 50 years in computer science. It is painful to see Persha failing at something so fundamental.

My tier 10 vehicles

WoT (13): E 100, Jagdpanzer E 100, E 50 M, G.W. E 100, Object 140, IS-7, Batignolles-Châtillon 25 t, AMX 50 B, AMX 50 Foch B, AMX 50 Foch (155), AMX 13 105, T57, T110E5

WoWP (13): F-86A, XF-90, F7U, IL-40P, Yak-30, Su-10, Me 262 III, Me P.1102 B, Me P.1101, EF 131, Swift, Javelin, J7W3

WoWS (20): Montana, Des Moines, Worcester, Salem, Gearing, Midway, Yamato, Hakuryu, Shimakaze, Zao, Harugumo, Minotaur, Daring, Thunderer, Großer Kurfürst, Hindenburg, Khabarovsk, Grozovoi, Smolensk, République, Henri IV

GonerNL #5 Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1111 battles

View PostGeorgePatton, on 20 May 2019 - 07:03 PM, said:

Would it be simple for Wargaming to program the launcher to clear the cache before opening the game by default?

And while they're at it, program the launcher to actually remember your accounts/passwords ! 

Flying on EU, NA, ASIA and CIS servers

losttwo #6 Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:39 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

This is the only game i have ever played that I have had to click on the

" Check and Repair " button.

" Clear Cache " button

" Play " button.

To be fair. I am glad that WG has added those buttons.

It was more time consuming doing it all manually 5 years ago.

blindfoId #7 Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:56 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Administrator
  • 8 battles

View PostGeorgePatton, on 20 May 2019 - 09:03 PM, said:

Cheers!
Glenn

There's no automatic cache cleaning as it will lead to the long hangar loading. Technically, it is purely for performance reasons. 

Thus, all the problems that can be solved by clearing the cache appear because the Hangar uses old (cached, saved) information. 

trikke #8 Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:29 AM

Captain

• 3633 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

we're talking maybe 10-15 seconds longer  

smart folks clear cache every time they start      every time

that leaves new folks and less-smart folks, who are your biggest pile of customers that are still deciding whether to continue with the game

someone up the chain made that decision...  10-15 seconds more load time -or- less server usage, undeniably leading to common UI issues 

seems like an easy choice to us, but you do you

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

GeorgePatton #9 Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:34 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1608 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD

View PostblindfoId, on 21 May 2019 - 05:56 AM, said:

There's no automatic cache cleaning as it will lead to the long hangar loading. Technically, it is purely for performance reasons. 

Thus, all the problems that can be solved by clearing the cache appear because the Hangar uses old (cached, saved) information. 

Good to know! I do wonder, though - would it decrease new player frustration if the cache were cleared every time on launching the client as many new players are unaware of the 'workarounds' (clearing cache) for most of the UI bugs that make the game unplayable if you don't know how to fix them. I suspect many people encounter these cache-related bugs, don't know how to work around them (technically players shouldn't have to work around software bugs - that's the developer's job) and leave out of frustration rather than seeking information on how to fix the issues. Obviously I don't have any data to back that up, but I know from personal experience I've encountered a few bugs that were game-breaking and support didn't answer for around a week and by the time they did I had found other ways to occupy my time.

Basically, is it better for business and player count to make the hangar take like 15 seconds more (max) to load and get rid of all the cache-related UI bugs or to make the client load that little bit faster. Personally I'd rather spend the extra 2 seconds it takes on my machine and if it were 20 seconds, I'd still take that.

Cheers!

Glenn

SkyWolf__WM #10 Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:54 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9622 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostGeorgePatton, on 21 May 2019 - 02:34 PM, said:

Basically, is it better for business and player count to make the hangar take like 15 seconds more (max) to load and get rid of all the cache-related UI bugs or to make the client load that little bit faster. Personally I'd rather spend the extra 2 seconds it takes on my machine and if it were 20 seconds, I'd still take that.

Cheers!

Glenn

It's not hard to select "start game and clear cache" from the dropdown menu.

***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

GeorgePatton #11 Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:24 AM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1608 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD

View PostSkyWolf__WM, on 21 May 2019 - 03:54 PM, said:

It's not hard to select "start game and clear cache" from the dropdown menu.

Suggestion was to make that the default to completely eliminate the UI bugs that are created by issues with the cache. I know how to clear the cache and I know when to clear the cache - new players don't and that can drive them up a wall.

Cheers!
Glenn

trikke #12 Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:57 AM

Captain

• 3633 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

most new players don't read forum posts, so they would not know how important it was to clear the cache

WG, please don't tell us that it's the bandwidth cost that's preventing the auto-cache-clear

talk about short-sighted 

do the RU players have this issue?

hoom #13 Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:13 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10213 battles

One of the basic features of normal caches is invalidation.

ie when the source data changes you send a message to the cache telling it that its cached version isn't valid anymore -> next time that data is requested it loads the source data rather than the cached data.

It really shouldn't be too hard for WG to push out a notice to the Launcher telling it to Clear Cache when something changes Server Side that requires the Cache to be invalidated.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

GonerNL #14 Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1111 battles

View PostblindfoId, on 21 May 2019 - 11:56 AM, said:

I ALWAYS start with the 'clear cache' option and still have all kinds of problems ... 

Lately there's a new one ; when I use <Esc> to enter the menu, menu pops up but all options are non-clickable !! I have to try several times before before being able to get into 'settings' or something ...

Edited by GonerNL, 22 May 2019 - 07:45 AM.

GonerNL #15 Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1111 battles
I already prefer Vodka and Gin (Jenever), but it doesn't help ...

Edited by GonerNL, 22 May 2019 - 09:28 AM.

trikke #16 Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:50 AM

Captain

• 3633 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostGonerNL, on 22 May 2019 - 03:44 AM, said:

I ALWAYS start with the 'clear cache' option and still have all kinds of problems ... 

Lately there's a new one ; when I use <Esc> to enter the menu, menu pops up but all options are non-clickable !! I have to try several times before before being able to get into 'settings' or something ...

then clear your cache?      j/k

losttwo #17 Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:20 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostGonerNL, on 21 May 2019 - 03:29 AM, said:

And while they're at it, program the launcher to actually remember your accounts/passwords ! 

P455word always works for me, even have it written down on my desk.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users