Bring back gamepad-control

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

jack_wdw #1 Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:00 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 2118 battles
Why did you remove gamepad as control-method?

I concur, it was not ideal since 2.0, certainly because the viewing stick was not working, but besides that, it was my preferred way to fly.

Tried with gamepad as joystick, but that sucked big time.
Mouse and kb, impossible for my setup (couch in living room) and frankly don't want to play a flying game with mouse and kb.
 Is it a bug and will it return next patch?

blindfoId #2 Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Administrator
  • 8 battles

I'm afraid it's a permanent change, and the option will not be returned. I wholeheartedly believe that it is unpleasant and frustrating change. Having an additional control option, unfortunately, is not a question of simply putting it back but the whole system of full support. 

I've contacted the developers team for some help in this question. If it is possible, they will provide an instruction which will require changing some game files. 

GeorgePatton #3 Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:14 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1602 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD

Was there a specific reason the Gamepad control mode was removed in the first place?

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

losttwo #4 Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:36 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostGeorgePatton, on 15 May 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

Was there a specific reason the Gamepad control mode was removed in the first place?

Cheers!
Glenn

Because you don't fly planes with game pads.     :trollface:

Seriously, It was very backwards move.

My drone uses my phone which is like a game pad, Xbox and Ps use game pads.

Since my computer is Xbox compatible it uses a game pad.

It is almost as if the WOWP division are nothing more than a bunch of Miltons.

Posted Image

blindfoId #5 Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Administrator
  • 8 battles

View PostGeorgePatton, on 15 May 2019 - 08:14 PM, said:

Cheers!
Glenn

The gamepad option has been removed from the control settings as the number of players using the gamepad controller is very small. In fact, it's even lower that a 1%. As said above, having an additional control option, is a question of  the whole system of full support which means additional time and resources for the developers team that currently needs to focus on the further development and support of the game.

losttwo #6 Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:16 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

IN other words WOWP will never be available on the Xbox or PS gaming systems due to financial constraints and

cost of personnel.

Also meaning NO chance at VR on the PLayStation. Of course that's OK with me. It makes me PUKE anyway.

Even if I take Dramamine.

Can't even fly my drone in VR headset mode with out puking.

jack_wdw #7 Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:37 PM

• 2118 battles

View PostblindfoId, on 16 May 2019 - 09:22 AM, said:

The gamepad option has been removed from the control settings as the number of players using the gamepad controller is very small. In fact, it's even lower that a 1%. As said above, having an additional control option, is a question of  the whole system of full support which means additional time and resources for the developers team that currently needs to focus on the further development and support of the game.

I don't get it, what support do you mean? Customer support?
If the playerbase using a gamepad is so low, there is no real need for customer support.
As matter of fact i've contacted customer support a couple of times concerning the viewing stick issue and back then i got as response that gamepads were not officially supported and that they would not provide a solution.

Anyway if it's possible to re-enable gamepad control at my side,  by only copying some old files over current files, that will be more than fine for me.
I'll create a script of my own that will copy those files over new files every time a new patch will appear.

And off-course this will mean wowp will never get ported to any console (XBOX|PS)?

Edited by jack_wdw, 16 May 2019 - 01:38 PM.

blindfoId #8 Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Administrator
  • 8 battles

View Postjack_wdw, on 16 May 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

No, I'm talking not about Customer Support but about support of gamepad control option in game files by the developers. As far as I know, there's a possibility to change some files and I'm waiting for the complete instruction from the team. 

GeorgePatton #9 Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:04 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1602 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD

Ah, thank you for the information, blindfold! I completely get it with not wanting to spend the resources on maintaining control updates, etc for a control method not many use. That brings up a question though - do the developers mess with the control schemes and effectiveness a lot? It would seem maybe they do if gamepad isn't something they could just put in and leave it be...

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

The_Wild_Weasel #10 Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1929 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

Bring back a game , that will attract players !

W_W 

Chuck_norris10 #11 Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:03 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2197 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View Postjack_wdw, on 16 May 2019 - 06:37 AM, said:

If the playerbase using a gamepad is so low, there is no real need for customer support.
As matter of fact i've contacted customer support a couple of times concerning the viewing stick issue and back then i got as response that gamepads were not officially supported and that they would not provide a solution.

Anyway if it's possible to re-enable gamepad control at my side,  by only copying some old files over current files, that will be more than fine for me.
I'll create a script of my own that will copy those files over new files every time a new patch will appear.

And off-course this will mean wowp will never get ported to any console (XBOX|PS)?

I cant believe they took it out.

They used to run ads on FB and they would show up on my feed and 80% of the questions were if it could be played on other gaming devices and not once did they ever answer.

They never were ver good at marketing.

Edited by Chuck_norris10, 17 May 2019 - 01:15 AM.

jack_wdw #12 Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:48 AM

• 2118 battles

View PostGeorgePatton, on 16 May 2019 - 08:04 PM, said:

Ah, thank you for the information, blindfold! I completely get it with not wanting to spend the resources on maintaining control updates, etc for a control method not many use. That brings up a question though - do the developers mess with the control schemes and effectiveness a lot? It would seem maybe they do if gamepad isn't something they could just put in and leave it be...

Cheers!
Glenn

But nothing really changed at the client side for this control method since 2.0 was introduced. All buttons and functions remained the same from beginning of 2.0 until latest patch.
Could be that they maybe changed the backend, but at least it didn't feel or show.
No major improvements (asked a couple of times to bring back the viewing stick), but also no major setbacks.
It felt like there really wasn't any development on this control method anymore, but i learned to live with it, until now when they have removed that option completely.

A pity though, feels like a step backwards, because v1.9 was 100% xbox controller compatible. That game could have easily been ported to consoles.

Edited by jack_wdw, 17 May 2019 - 09:39 AM.

Chuck_norris10 #13 Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:04 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2197 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View Postjack_wdw, on 16 May 2019 - 11:48 PM, said:

But nothing really changed at the client side for this control method since 2.0 was introduced. All buttons and functions remained the same from beginning of 2.0 until latest patch.
Could be that they maybe changed the backend, but at least it didn't feel or show.
No major improvements (asked a couple of times to bring back the viewing stick), but also no major setbacks.
It felt like there really wasn't any development on this control method anymore, but i learned to live with it, until now when they have removed that option completely.

A pity though, feels like a step backwards, because v1.9 was 100% xbox controller compatible. That game could have easily been ported to consoles.

The only option i see now is joystick or kb. The JS is generic now instead of brand specific like it was when the gamepad option was there.

jack_wdw #14 Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

• 2118 battles
Any update on those files?

jack_wdw #15 Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:47 AM

• 2118 battles
Any news on those files?

blindfoId #16 Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Administrator
  • 8 battles

View Postjack_wdw, on 01 June 2019 - 09:47 AM, said:

Any news on those files?

I'm sorry but they are still in progress. At the current moment the team is discussing several variants of dealing with this situation as soon as any detailed information appears I'll be happy to share it with you. 

jack_wdw #17 Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:35 PM

• 2118 battles
Thanks for the heads up!

jack_wdw #18 Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:49 AM

• 2118 battles

blindfoId #19 Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:56 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Administrator
  • 8 battles

View Postjack_wdw, on 01 July 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

According to my information, this issue is likely to be fixed in the nearest update. Crossing my fingers! :)

jack_wdw #20 Posted 01 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

• 2118 battles
That sounds nice :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users