Hmmm, here's a question I haven't seen answered.

critical damage engines tail wings turret pilot

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

CorvusCorvax #1 Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:15 PM

Captain

• 4278 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

So, in playing the game with cannon-armed aircraft, I have come to learn how to concentrate my fire on parts of the aircraft that I want to damage, in order to get critical hits.  For multi-engine aircraft that are very fast, like the P-38, I focus on the engines, so I can make the airplane slow enough to negate it's big advantage.  Likewise, shooting the canopy to get pilot crits, and wings, and tail...

One thing I haven't figured out is how to stop the turrets of a GAA.  I have tried shooting at the guns themselves, but have had no luck.  Do I need to fire into the gunner's station?  What if it's an actual turret, like on a bomber (or a gun station, like on an IL-2(t))?  The gunner's station on a heavy fighter, for example, or the Gunner's station on a German GAA?

Captain_Rownd #2 Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2424 battles

Well dang.  I just hope to hit the plane at all.  

Favorites:

SPAD S.510:: MiG-3 :: I-250 :: Ju 88 P :: He 100 D-1 :: Caudron C.714

CorvusCorvax #3 Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:57 PM

Captain

• 4278 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 14 May 2019 - 09:37 PM, said:

Well dang.  I just hope to hit the plane at all.  

LOL, on some aircraft, yes, that is true.  Gobling?  J8M?  Yes, any hit is a good hit.  On an IL-40P, when you have a TON of time to consider where you're going to zap it?  Actually, for me, it's more the IL-20.  Those things, for whatever reason, OWN me.  If I could disable that DANG gunner, for just 20 seconds....

CorvusCorvax #4 Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:00 PM

Captain

• 4278 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 14 May 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

One thing I haven't figured out is how to stop the turrets of a GAA.  I have tried shooting at the guns themselves, but have had no luck.  Do I need to fire into the gunner's station?  What if it's an actual turret, like on a bomber (or a gun station, like on an IL-2(t))?  The gunner's station on a heavy fighter, for example, or the Gunner's station on a German GAA?

Quoting myself, I may just take the training room out for a test drive on this.  IL-20s vs TheCrow in various T8-T-10 aircraft.  But it would help if I had some guidance from others who know how to make life hard on GAA, other than the brute-force method of just straight up shooting them down.  Why just shoot them down, if you can shoot them down, IN STYLE???  ;)

LMG #5 Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

I do believe you have to hit the position of the gunner, which varies from GAA to GAA. On lower tiers the guy's usually next to the gun, manually aiming the thing (IL-2s, Ju 87 G, etc.), and on higher tiers he tends to be separate (IL-20 onwards, Me 265 onwards). Hell, on the Me 329 the gunner is right next to the pilot, facing the front of the plane, while the turret is in the tail, so I have no idea how the game checks for gunner damage there :amazed:

Edited by LMG, 14 May 2019 - 10:04 PM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

mnbv_fockewulfe #6 Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:00 AM

Captain

• 616 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

aim for the orange

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

hoom #7 Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:30 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10203 battles

I believe the game doesn't disable the gun for gunner crits on bot planes.

It might be a bug, it might be intentional but those turrets never stop shooting unless you move too quick for it to track you.

It does record crits, you can see them in the post-battle stats on one of the tooltips.

Edited by hoom, 15 May 2019 - 12:31 AM.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

CorvusCorvax #8 Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:31 AM

Captain

• 4278 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 15 May 2019 - 12:00 AM, said:

aim for the orange

COOL!  That is awesome.

trikke #9 Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:59 AM

Captain

• 3626 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

good topic, CC

i concentrated on the tg on the flights this very weekend, just to see if i could knock them out          nope

i melted down those tails, too        but still got eaten up

WG, give us tiny tg muzzle flashes, and when the flashes disappear...  we got 'em

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

CorvusCorvax #10 Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:53 AM

Captain

• 4278 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
Took to the training room tonight.  Tried these two aircraft, aiming at the two gunner hitboxes displayed.  At no point, in the four battles and 20 aircraft I battled did I even once get a gunner crit.  I got EVERY OTHER KIND.  But not gunner.

hoom #11 Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:23 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10203 battles
Did you check the after-battle stats? Or just relying on there to be a visual indicator?

Bobby_Tables #12 Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 8151 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

Here's the deal:

Take an IL-8/20/40/40P rear-gunner out of the bar and into the alley and give them shot after shot of Wodka.

Then, lead them into the woods for a Snipe Hunt and shoot them.  

Problem solved.  

Other than that, shoot the heck outta the tail.  If it doesn't kill them, at least you get some satisfaction as you burn down into a fiery grave.  I mean, what the heck?  You all trying to figure out how to kill a human being?  I thought you Millenials were beyond that.  Guess I was wrong.

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 15 May 2019 - 04:46 AM.

losttwo #13 Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:06 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

I posted a video not to long ago about how to attack Tail gunners.

It was a P-51H vs and IL-20.

Regardless of what you fly stop attacking from the direction the tail gunner can shoot you.

More so if you have canons.

If you have canons then attacking the pilot/engine from the flank is a smarter idea .

Stygian_Alchemist #14 Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:51 AM

First Lieutenant

• 11392 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
I usually come from above and shoot at the cockpit area of the average GAA. Gotta make sure you don't -just- crit the pilot as they're right next to each other. Why do I do it that way? Because when playing GAA that's how the bots always manage to peg my gunner off. Figured there had to be something to it.

blindfoId #15 Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Administrator
  • 8 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 15 May 2019 - 12:15 AM, said:

So, in playing the game with cannon-armed aircraft, I have come to learn how to concentrate my fire on parts of the aircraft that I want to damage, in order to get critical hits.  For multi-engine aircraft that are very fast, like the P-38, I focus on the engines, so I can make the airplane slow enough to negate it's big advantage.  Likewise, shooting the canopy to get pilot crits, and wings, and tail...

Technically, you crit gunners when you crit the appropriate hitbox. mnbv_fockewulfe showed good examples.

View Posthoom, on 15 May 2019 - 03:30 AM, said:

I believe the game doesn't disable the gun for gunner crits on bot planes.

It might be a bug, it might be intentional but those turrets never stop shooting unless you move too quick for it to track you.

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 15 May 2019 - 05:53 AM, said:

Took to the training room tonight.  Tried these two aircraft, aiming at the two gunner hitboxes displayed.  At no point, in the four battles and 20 aircraft I battled did I even once get a gunner crit.  I got EVERY OTHER KIND.  But not gunner.

Doesn't it? If it really is so I need to bring it to the attention of the team but I'd be grateful for any additional information (screenshots and replays for example) for proper report if you bother.

CorvusCorvax #16 Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:08 PM

Captain

• 4278 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostblindfoId, on 15 May 2019 - 09:54 AM, said:

Technically, you crit gunners when you crit the appropriate hitbox. mnbv_fockewulfe showed good examples.

Doesn't it? If it really is so I need to bring it to the attention of the team but I'd be grateful for any additional information (screenshots and replays for example) for proper report if you bother.

I'm fairly certain that with the information provided, above, you could report this issue to the developers.  Then, they could play-test it themselves to see if they can replicate the issue.  (This is what I was talking about before when we were talking about bugs.)  I am going to try this again - I want to use the IL-2(t) and the Me-265 as model aircraft, and use a cannon-equipped aircraft with gold ammo to prove to myself what the results are.  I might use my IL-10M, because then I can really loiter back there and concentrate on that one hitbox.

To everyone else - have none of you ever met me in-game?  I have no issues shooting down GAA (or any other aircraft)  I shoot at aircraft specifically for crits in certain cases (my Bf-109E vs. P-38F engine, for example, or my Me-262 vs. RB-17 engine, for another) and have been noticing that I can crit every module on a plane except the gunner.  Last night in the training room, I had an IL-2(t) with every single module critted, except the gunner. (That's a really tough plane, LOL).  Both wings, the tail, the pilot and the engine.  But not the gunner.  The pattern of crits happened over and over again. 

Method of test:  In Scorching Sands, select the map with the mid mining plant and two airfields.  Since bot GAA priority is the plant, they will all go there.  Use IL-1 as test aircraft - cannon-armed, fast enough, durable.  (Next test, use Tempest or IL-10M).  Approach GAA  from 12, Immelmann and roll to attack from 6 o'clock and 20-30 degrees above.  Sniper view to focus shots into gunner hit box area.  Break off at 100m for next pass.  Repeat approach at 3 and 9 o'clock, focus shots at gunner hit box, and no where else.  Get frustrated at lack of results, and go for wings, tail, engine, pilot.  Universal ammo used for every test (next test, use gold ammo.)

Repeat test on same map for Me-265.

This testing is not about the best approach to shooting down GAA - I have successfully shot down human-powered IL-40Ps with my Gobling.  It is about selecting which hitbox to focus on for critical hits.  Like if I'm fighting a human in an IL-10M - getting a tail or wing crit REALLY helps, because those aircraft can turn on a HF.  Since you can't often shoot down a GAA in a single pass, where should your rounds go first?  (Especially if I am in a LF, like at high tier, and am defending an asset from ground attack.)

One final note:  After monkeying around for a while with GAA, I decided to do a another test.  Me, in my Me-210 (20mm cannon) against a Pe-2, and a B-17D.  I don't know where those gunner hitboxes are, either.  But after firing at every gunner station, neither of those aircraft ever stopped giving defensive fire.  But not knowing where to shoot those aircraft make that test moot.  I have to know where the gunner hitbox is to focus on it for a test.

P.S.  It would be great if I could get a guinea pig to volunteer to spend some silver in a training room with me so I can verify if this is a bot thing, or a display thing, or both.  Silver, because if you go for a flight in a training room, and I damage you, then you have to pay. (blindfold, yet another gripe.  Here we are, spending in-game coin, on rooting out bugs.  Time and money - can you see why we might get a little frustrated?  I am planning on spending GOLD ammo on testing this, never mind the fact that I got it from completing some mission or other and it's been sitting in my depot.  I could have bought it for real money, and I certainly could sell it for silver, if I wanted.)

GonerNL #17 Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1111 battles

View Posttrikke, on 15 May 2019 - 02:59 AM, said:

WG, give us tiny tg muzzle flashes, and when the flashes disappear...  we got 'em

You can already see the reargun muzzle flashes, but I doubt that they would disappear when you crit them.

The game also shows every other plane around you with guns firing, even when they're not ... just graphics.

Flying on EU, NA, ASIA and CIS servers

trikke #18 Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:56 PM

Captain

• 3626 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 15 May 2019 - 09:08 AM, said:

P.S.  It would be great if I could get a guinea pig to volunteer to spend some silver in a training room with me so I can verify if this is a bot thing, or a display thing, or both.  Silver, because if you go for a flight in a training room, and I damage you, then you have to pay. (blindfold, yet another gripe.  Here we are, spending in-game coin, on rooting out bugs.  Time and money - can you see why we might get a little frustrated?  I am planning on spending GOLD ammo on testing this, never mind the fact that I got it from completing some mission or other and it's been sitting in my depot.  I could have bought it for real money, and I certainly could sell it for silver, if I wanted.)

heck, i would pay good money to shoot at you!     j/k

i would do it, but i'm only able to get on early am EDT weekdays for a few minutes and weekend mornings for several hours        you're california time, right?

Edited by trikke, 19 May 2019 - 08:58 PM.

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

CorvusCorvax #19 Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:13 PM

Captain

• 4278 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Posttrikke, on 19 May 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

heck, i would pay good money to shoot at you!     j/k

i would do it, but i'm only able to get on early am EDT weekdays for a few minutes and weekend mornings for several hours        you're california time, right?

Yes, California time.   What time (California time) on the weekends?  I'd be happy to get up early and play a little with this issue.  REALLY want to see if it is actually possible for me to crit a turret on a player vs. a bot.  I will be using both universal and gold, BTW.

hoom #20 Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:38 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10203 battles

Block Quote

I posted a video not to long ago about how to attack Tail gunners.

The question is not how to avoid tail gunners, thats generally easy enough.

The question is how to crit the gunner on  a bot so he stops shooting at you.

I've definitely critted the turrets on US Heavy bomber bots since last visited this thread.

Still not convinced I've managed to crit a GA bot gunner though.

Also tagged with critical damage, engines, tail, wings, turret, pilot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users