Capture Ground strategy

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

El_Mulo #21 Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:58 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 14553 battles

When you're in a GA you got to run to get one target, because:
1. The other GA if bot will attack what you are about to.

2. The Bots in Multis will also attack what you are about to. Thanks GOD the fighters were still not coded to do ground as noobs.

3. Also HF will destroy some GT (obviously what you're to take out)

4. The Bombers will destroy what's left

5. The ADA and the enemies will be on your six.

6. So I will take something if there is something, no matter what, and run away as hell.

The days you could plan an execute the attack are gone.  Thanks WOWP.

I'm speaking T9-T10, lower tiers could be a little different.

Edited by El_Mulo, 29 April 2019 - 11:59 PM.

What we say to death?

CorvusCorvax #22 Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:28 AM

Captain

• 4107 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostEl_Mulo, on 29 April 2019 - 11:58 PM, said:

When you're in a GA you got to run to get one target, because:
1. The other GA if bot will attack what you are about to.

I find I can get them to break off if I attack them first.  Then go after the ground target, THEN finish off the red GAA.  Two-for-one!

Edited by CorvusCorvax, 30 April 2019 - 12:29 AM.

losttwo #23 Posted 30 April 2019 - 01:02 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 4970 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostWhite_Widow18, on 29 April 2019 - 06:04 PM, said:

aah, cheese and whine pairings. Magnifique!

Edited to add: I am actually interested in people's prioritization of bases and weirdly I wonder if anyone has a priority of buildings/building types within a given node.

You do ask a valid question

View Postlegoboy0401, on 29 April 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

Depends on the plane, though ideally you'd want to try to prioritize the same ones with all GAAs and bombers, in practice, there are some that can't. or at least not anywhere as efficiently as others.

Garrisons:

Medium Armored Ground Targets, in ALL groud-pounders. These are the most valuable targets in a Garrison.

Airfield/Base:

All targets, but primarily aiming for the Medium Ground Target or Control Tower first.

Rocket/Military Base:

everything bigger than an AA emplacement, but aiming primarily for the Special Ground Target, whatever it is called.

Command Center/Base:

Medium Armored Ground Targets and the Radar Station Special Ground Target.

Mining Plant:

Medium and Heavily Armored Ground Targets, plus the Armored Workshops Special Ground Target

By priority :

When flying a GA:

Military Base : Main big target in center, soldiers tents, AA as I move along.

Command Center: Big Radar array, Both small arrays, AA as I move along.

Mining Plant ( still do not know why they call it a mining plant when it should be called a Manufacturing plant)

Big central plant then the perimeter buildings. Again the AA is not a priority and smack it as I move around.

Airstrip. Tower control, repair facility/ warehouses, last but not least maybe some AA.

Garrison. Both sets of 3 large barracks ( maybe they are TOE rooms, who knows ) smaller tents cities and again AA

Multi Role or fighter: If I am there ( low altitude ) AA is priority.

Heavy Fighter....Why the flip am I down so low for so long.

Bomber...Still trying to learn them.

Stygian_Alchemist #24 Posted 30 April 2019 - 01:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 10723 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Postlosttwo, on 29 April 2019 - 07:02 PM, said:

You do ask a valid question

TY

I've actually been considering this myself and I realized its all medium and heavily armored ground targets I go for with ordnance and I almost always go for those first because they have the highest point cap contributions. Guns are reserved for AA, tents, and cleanup usually. This is if in a GAA or Bomber.

Multiroles... Usually I just vulture whatever the GAA or bombers leave behind, same for -most- heavies.. but some heavies I run like slow ordnance single-cap flipping GAA and again I go back to saving ordnance for medium and heavily armored ground targets. The "key" building for the "special" nodes is almost always a go as is anything with tents, the carport looking bits, etc. 

I -do- prioritize AA mildly in GAA/Heavies that I run oddly, but I just pick off their guns as I fly in with -my- guns to make sure they aren't chewing me up as I go over the emplacement to nail the bigger targets, that's all the priority they get. Bombers... There are a few nodes, like some of the American Southwest maps.. where I -do- make sure to mix it up and put in a couple of AA to my runs because usually I can't flip those in one run due to the nature of how spread out they are and the dearth of -large- ground targets.

There are some caveats, if I'm in a LF or Heavy or MRF and see both the bombers or both the GAA coming my way from my team, I'll start lasering out the AA guns as fast as I can to clear the road. Same for Bomber Flighters from CCs.

hoom #25 Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9139 battles

In general: Missile base > Command Centre > Plant > Garrison = Airfield.

But depends on the map and what I'm flying.

eg maps with Missile base in the middle tend to have a very long dogfight over it -> try to get any other cap first to get the score ticking over.

Similar with Plant in the middle.

Airfield in the middle definitely go for the stuff around the outside instead. But in a TnB like the T4-6 Ki line I'm prioritising Airfields because those planes really lack the firepower/durability/altitude to try to compete for a missile base.

GA & Bombers generally stay away from Airfields unless nothing else going because its super hard to flip them just by ground damage.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Bobby_Tables #26 Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 7391 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View Postlosttwo, on 29 April 2019 - 12:37 PM, said:

Question for the readers of the forum and the fliers of the mouse.

Yeah you joystick users can chime in with a couple of pennies too.

Game pad users just lie about what you think.

This post is for the new players, old return players that have not figured it out yet,

and the less informed that ping to attack a garrison before the military or command centers.

Speaking of Military and Command center, which do you prioritize first and why ?

Please discuss. ...1..2..3 and GO:

I guess to truly answer the question with less of an answer than an equivocation, it all depends on the situation:

If I am in a high tier and fast GA or Bomber,  I will prioritize the Mining Plant if it is not way far away from me at spawn.  And if I am in a really fast GA, I might make a stretch for the Mining Plant.  

If I spawn on the right side of the group and there is a Garrison right next to me, I will go for the quick cap and then go for the Mining Plant.

Really, one could almost write a book on this because there are so many combinations and permutations.  I just spent a battle defending the central airfield in a fighter.  Why?  Because my team was knocking down Military Bases and Garrisons, so I went to the center and held that thing through the battle.  A very rare occasion for me, but I read the situation and if I was needed elsewhere, I was ready to go. But in this case, my team was maintaining superiority so while I monitored the progress, I kept killing moths who were drawn to the flame of a central airbase.  In a GA, I would have behaved differently.  In a Heavy, I would have concentrated on their bombers (if they were effective) and if not, then I would have backed up my bombers/GA.  

I guess the most frustrating aspect of this game is when doing token missions in mid and low tiers.  Then, you are in a relatively slow plane, and maintaining superiority in caps, regardless of which type is pretty key.  And... because there are so few caps (say in T4), it makes it, in my opinion, more difficult rather than easier to decide.  In low/mid tiers, everyone (humans/bots) tend to concentrate on the center cap regardless of the composition.  Most often it is an airfield, but in other cases it can be a lowly Garrison or a hotly contested Command Center/Military Base.  

Most of my "pings" are telling others where I am going.  I don't insist on others to follow me, I just use the "proceeding to X" and let others decide whether to follow me or YOLO to the center.  

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 30 April 2019 - 04:51 AM.

Moonrider #27 Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:39 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 2090 battles
This thread has been reported for the following reason: "PIN THIS! great discussion!"

Logic is a feeble reed, friend. "Logic" proved that airplanes can't fly and that H-bombs won't work and that stones don't fall out of the sky. Logic is a way of saying that anything which didn't happen yesterday won't happen tomorrow.
-- R. A Heinlein​, Glory Road

losttwo #28 Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:57 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 4970 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostMoonrider, on 30 April 2019 - 06:39 AM, said:

This thread has been reported for the following reason: "PIN THIS! great discussion!"

Heck if your going to report me then I didn't do it.

Pin this on someone else, you can't frame me...:D

trikke #29 Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:08 PM

Captain

• 3462 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostLMG, on 29 April 2019 - 02:30 PM, said:

I'll always try to assault the closest and safest one. 

which makes tons of sense, because you're starting to build points quickly and have plenty of blue help

i've always tamped down a burning desire to run across the map, and mess with the cap that the red team is currently trying to flip, when driving a fast heavy

they're doing your work for you, i think to myself       but rarely does this work out well for me, whenever i try it

even though it messes with my head, when red planes show up at a cap where i wasn't expecting them

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

CorvusCorvax #30 Posted 30 April 2019 - 01:06 PM

Captain

• 4107 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Posttrikke, on 30 April 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

which makes tons of sense, because you're starting to build points quickly and have plenty of blue help

i've always tamped down a burning desire to run across the map, and mess with the cap that the red team is currently trying to flip, when driving a fast heavy

they're doing your work for you, i think to myself       but rarely does this work out well for me, whenever i try it

even though it messes with my head, when red planes show up at a cap where i wasn't expecting them

If you have the, ummm, intestinal fortitude, to make your heavy get all ugly on them, then it might work.  But having the stones to do it, and having the SKILL to pull it off aren't the same thing.  Running over there to put a stop to bombers and/or GAA taking the cap AND avoiding the humans trying to take your scalp to help take the cap?  It could be a tall order.  I feel you on this, but when you press the tab key and see who's playing on the other side?  That should inform you on whether or not to be bold.

Prenzlau #31 Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 10919 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostBubba_Zanetti, on 29 April 2019 - 03:57 PM, said:

Gouda, like..how we wish the game was...

+1 for the Zardoz pic.

Cheers!

Prenzlau

Prenzlau #32 Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 10919 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

“Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Captain_Underpants53 #33 Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:40 PM

Captain

• 22373 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostPrenzlau, on 01 May 2019 - 10:40 AM, said:

“Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

LOL.  Another gem from the Pseudo Intellectual. 
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Also tagged with Capture, Ground, strategy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users