PLEASE WG, A MORATORIUM ON 'NEW CONTENT'

moratorium new content

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Captain_Underpants53 #1 Posted 29 April 2019 - 12:31 PM

Captain

• 23604 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

I like new content as much as anybody but every new patch introducing new content leads to ever increasing instability in the game, less fps, and more bugs.

Why can't you scrub the code you already have before introducing new content and new problems?  And yes, I saw where the people responsible for new content are separate from the people responsible for fixing the code.  But why?  If a coder can't scrub the existing code how can they be expected to write code that doesn't need a lot of scrubbing?

Why are you still writing for a Windows XP product that came out almost 20 years ago and that Microsoft dropped support for 5 years ago?  Why not move to the newest version of Direct X?

Why do we have to hear 'soon', 'we are aware of the problem' and 'we are working on it' so often?  You don't realize that you lose credibility every time you use these phrases?  This especially applies to the problems that have been going on for many months.

Speaking of losing credibility, I was recently informed that the daily server reset does not clear up problems.  I was so flabbergasted by this official statement that I didn't even bother to reply.  What is the official position for why the daily server reset is required?  Even a dedicated Luddite like myself knows it clears memory leaks and unsnarls the tangles that multi-million lines of code can get into just by running.

I don't know enough to understand fully why some systems have more problems than others but I assume it is due to the differences in hardware and operating systems.  You have access to the information of who is running what version of Windows and whether they are using Intel or AMD processors, just for two examples.  Why not release that information to your players?  Possibly some statistics on which client configuration works with the game best would be helpful.

I don't want to write a book here.  I have been playing for over two years now and, over that time, I have noticed a sharp drop in fps, a never-ending variety of new bugs and the reintroduction of old bugs time and time again.  The game is becoming more and more unstable and more and more unplayable at ever increasing frequencies.  Why not fix it?

I know that not all players will agree with me, some would like the priority to be that new content.  It's OK to disagree.  But I would like for all with an opinion on this subject to comment and I would like answers to my questions.  Of course, I would also like to be 40 years younger, too.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

losttwo #2 Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:28 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

While I am currently bug free and experiencing no problems I would agree.

Not that I do not like new content and understand the necessity of keeping players interested.

Bugs are a killjoy. With the easiest solution being to uninstall and wait a year or two to try again.

Wargaming should send special request to each player asking them for their computer system and internet used.

Rather than waiting for someone to submit a support ticket, if they even submit one.

Currently I use a all in one touch screen HP  Pavilion 24-r0xx with Xbox/ windows compatibility

Verizon 25MB wifi internet.

It has gaming functionality but not a high end gaming computer.

For a 700$ it is actually very useful for school, business and minor gaming.

Stinks for graphic art and design but that is what WACOMs are for.

Back on topic. It took me 2 years before I decided to give Wargaming a second chance.

Currently, other than the rare sound dropping in battle, occasional loss of mouse control ( more user error than bug )

and the lousy server side replay lag the game is playable.

The replay lag is when i watch a replay and the enemy is 5 inches to the left of my bullets as if I am shooting into the air.

Meanwhile the ping is around 50 and FPS is running in the 30's during the game itself.

Forces me to use the built in screen recorder during matches rather than rely on replays.

DrSinister #3 Posted 29 April 2019 - 03:25 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 121 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

I have been with this game since 2012, Day 2 of CB, I started modding around 6 months after that.  Granted I do not play much of WoWp nowadays but I still dive into the files of this game.

I have always noticed a lot of things within this game especially the coding.  Since then and forward I have notice a lot of code that is not being used.  A while back, I remember questioning it wondering why old unused code is still lurking in the game files making the game bloated (larger than it needs to be).  Also I notice code that was processing old code that did nothing.  Which also lead to me that this is probably part of the cause of some of the memory leaks and instability of the game.

I also did find, what I call, lazy coding.  Where someone has copy and pasted the code, edit some of the lines, but did not proof the code to notice that the copied elements are still IDing another data and not the data that it was suppose to ID.

To me it feels that one group made the base coding and now no longer with the company and another group that has enough knowledge to manipulate and modify, but will not mess with the base coding.  Hence leaving a lot of unnecessary data/code behind.

Heck I remember back in mid CB, I submitted one of these copy and paste xml.  They copy and pasted the P-51D's xml and used it to make the P-51H's xml but left several line of code that still reflected P-51D's image files but it was so minor that a normal player would not even notice it in game.  After submitting the error, the exact location of said file, the exact lines of code that needed to be change to fix it (since I modded the file myself to correct the error for my client), it still took WG 6 months to fix the code.

Edited by DrSinister, 29 April 2019 - 03:29 PM.

Captain_Underpants53 #4 Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:19 PM

Captain

• 23604 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
I also notice we have the oldie but goody hangar chat bug back.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

SenatorTH #5 Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:03 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3416 battles

View PostDrSinister, on 29 April 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

To me it feels that one group made the base coding and now no longer with the company and another group that HASN'T enough knowledge to manipulate and modify, but will not mess with the base coding.

Fixed that for ya :) Now it looks totally true.

El_Mulo #6 Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:50 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 14696 battles

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 29 April 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

I like new content as much as anybody but every new patch introducing new content leads to ever increasing instability in the game, less fps, and more bugs.

Why can't you scrub the code you already have before introducing new content and new problems?  And yes, I saw where the people responsible for new content are separate from the people responsible for fixing the code.  But why?  If a coder can't scrub the existing code how can they be expected to write code that doesn't need a lot of scrubbing?

Why are you still writing for a Windows XP product that came out almost 20 years ago and that Microsoft dropped support for 5 years ago?  Why not move to the newest version of Direct X?

Why do we have to hear 'soon', 'we are aware of the problem' and 'we are working on it' so often?  You don't realize that you lose credibility every time you use these phrases?  This especially applies to the problems that have been going on for many months.

Speaking of losing credibility, I was recently informed that the daily server reset does not clear up problems.  I was so flabbergasted by this official statement that I didn't even bother to reply.  What is the official position for why the daily server reset is required?  Even a dedicated Luddite like myself knows it clears memory leaks and unsnarls the tangles that multi-million lines of code can get into just by running.

I don't know enough to understand fully why some systems have more problems than others but I assume it is due to the differences in hardware and operating systems.  You have access to the information of who is running what version of Windows and whether they are using Intel or AMD processors, just for two examples.  Why not release that information to your players?  Possibly some statistics on which client configuration works with the game best would be helpful.

I don't want to write a book here.  I have been playing for over two years now and, over that time, I have noticed a sharp drop in fps, a never-ending variety of new bugs and the reintroduction of old bugs time and time again.  The game is becoming more and more unstable and more and more unplayable at ever increasing frequencies.  Why not fix it?

I know that not all players will agree with me, some would like the priority to be that new content.  It's OK to disagree.  But I would like for all with an opinion on this subject to comment and I would like answers to my questions.  Of course, I would also like to be 40 years younger, too.

Easy answer new content attract casual gamers, cleaning the code is good for old/harcore gamers.

There are a lot of wet people about planes that have not yet seen, so figure it out.  Plus what makes the world go round in the case of "new content" and no rewards in the other side.

What we say to death?

El_Mulo #7 Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:52 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 14696 battles

View Postlosttwo, on 29 April 2019 - 01:28 PM, said:

While I am currently bug free and experiencing no problems.

You are GOOD Community Ace, not even MR would write that.  Ok, Prenzlau and Legoboy would.

Edited by El_Mulo, 29 April 2019 - 11:52 PM.

What we say to death?

legoboy0401 #8 Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1663 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostEl_Mulo, on 29 April 2019 - 03:52 PM, said:

You are GOOD Community Ace, not even MR would write that.  Ok, Prenzlau and Legoboy would.

Hey! I'm currently experiencing bugs along with the rest of you, don't lump me in with that crowd!

Edited by legoboy0401, 29 April 2019 - 11:56 PM.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

DrSinister #9 Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:43 AM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 121 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostEl_Mulo, on 29 April 2019 - 06:50 PM, said:

cleaning the code is good for old/harcore gamers.

But cleaning the code has nothing to do with old/hardcore.  Cleaning the code helps for everyone, new, returning, long time playing players.  Cleaning the code keeps the game from having memory leaks, conflicting codes that will cause crashes and various other bugs that can rear up.  Cleaning the code also keeps the installed size of the game at its smallest instead of having unnecessary files just sit there and bloat the installed size.

trikke #10 Posted 01 May 2019 - 01:49 AM

Captain

• 3561 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
because cleaning up the code costs money
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

El_Mulo #11 Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:07 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 14696 battles

View PostDrSinister, on 01 May 2019 - 12:43 AM, said:

But cleaning the code has nothing to do with old/hardcore.  Cleaning the code helps for everyone, new, returning, long time playing players.  Cleaning the code keeps the game from having memory leaks, conflicting codes that will cause crashes and various other bugs that can rear up.  Cleaning the code also keeps the installed size of the game at its smallest instead of having unnecessary files just sit there and bloat the installed size.

What I mean is that new players don't seem to be much worried about bugs but surely want new planes, meanwhile people that play the game constantly suffer the bugs much more so they want WG to clean the code.

It's obvious what you said about ALL will benefits us all.

What we say to death?

hoom #12 Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9981 battles

This old complaint.

WG are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

When they release a bunch of bugfix patches people complain about lack of new content.

When they release a bunch of content people complain and want bugfixes.

On the one hand for me the game client is in a much better state than it was early post 2.0 & I'm pleased to see new lines coming online, there was quite a long period where there wasn't anything new except the first part of UK Multiroles.

On the other hand there are certainly some serious bugs (& perhaps more fundamental balance issues) that have been around too long.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

DrSinister #13 Posted 01 May 2019 - 11:27 AM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 121 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Posthoom, on 01 May 2019 - 04:59 AM, said:

This old complaint.

WG are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

When they release a bunch of bugfix patches people complain about lack of new content.

When they release a bunch of content people complain and want bugfixes.

On the one hand for me the game client is in a much better state than it was early post 2.0 & I'm pleased to see new lines coming online, there was quite a long period where there wasn't anything new except the first part of UK Multiroles.

On the other hand there are certainly some serious bugs (& perhaps more fundamental balance issues) that have been around too long.

Yeah, WG has been doing good with new content.  I do remember in the past that it would be months heck even a year before new content arrived.

View PostEl_Mulo, on 01 May 2019 - 01:07 AM, said:

What I mean is that new players don't seem to be much worried about bugs but surely want new planes, meanwhile people that play the game constantly suffer the bugs much more so they want WG to clean the code.

It's obvious what you said about ALL will benefits us all.

I see what you mean now.

_A_3_ #14 Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:04 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 56 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostDrSinister, on 29 April 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

I have been with this game since 2012, Day 2 of CB, I started modding around 6 months after that.  Granted I do not play much of WoWp nowadays but I still dive into the files of this game.

Do you have a mod that can translate Chinese text to English for the Chinese server that is running version 1.9.4?

Edited by _A_3_, 01 May 2019 - 12:05 PM.

CorvusCorvax #15 Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:38 PM

Captain

• 4243 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Post_A_3_, on 01 May 2019 - 12:04 PM, said:

Do you have a mod that can translate Chinese text to English for the Chinese server that is running version 1.9.4?

I really wish that server had a better ping for me.  Oh, and not so many lag spikes.  

DrSinister #16 Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:10 AM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 121 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Post_A_3_, on 01 May 2019 - 07:04 AM, said:

That I do not.

Also tagged with moratorium, new content

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users