Not-so-Noob but a real Newb.

Joystick controls

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

VF_211 #1 Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:16 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1047 battles

Hello! Long time Wargamer here. Just re-familiarizing myself this style of game and really enjoying the process atm. One question about Joystick control, It appears "Flaps" is now "speed brake"? 

I have a Thrustmaster 16000M looking for a comfortable setup for this game. If anyone has one and uses it here wouldn't mind sharing ..I would be very thankful!

Thanks and hope to see you in random!

Major_Bollocks/VF_211

Captain_Underpants53 #2 Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:42 PM

Captain

• 22571 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

Flaps and speed brake are two different controls although flaps do slow you down some.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Stygian_Alchemist #3 Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 10797 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
Flaps increase lift while decreasing speed in a very minor manner. Air brakes drop speed by creating drag while affecting lift in a very minor manner.

Both are useful. 

I don't use a JS though so I cannot say how you'd set up both for a JS.

Glad you're here though and hope to see you in the blue! The game has its pitfalls and bugs like any other WG property and some are more annoying than others and we are definitely a dysfunctional family of players here.... but we get to shoot things from planes so that makes up for most of it to my view. LOL

Chuck_norris10 #4 Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:14 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2117 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostVF_211, on 16 April 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

Hello! Long time Wargamer here. Just re-familiarizing myself this style of game and really enjoying the process atm. One question about Joystick control, It appears "Flaps" is now "speed brake"? 

I have a Thrustmaster 16000M looking for a comfortable setup for this game. If anyone has one and uses it here wouldn't mind sharing ..I would be very thankful!

Thanks and hope to see you in random!

Major_Bollocks/VF_211

I tried to set up my thrustmaster last week and could not get it to be recognized so im back to the logitech and under settings you can just highlight flaps and press the button on the joystick you want it to and it should work.I also use the key board sometimes and map flaps to E and speed break to s and thats pretty easy to do.There are a lot of topics on joysticks here under thrustmaster and some of it may not pertain to this version but will give you lots of info.Dr. Sinister has some good topics on setting up and mapping a JS.

mnbv_fockewulfe #5 Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:58 PM

Captain

• 605 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
My thrustmaster X had trouble with the game recognizing the throttle axis. Instead it was using the toggle switch on the handle. Basically making it useless to fly with. The game doesn't support hotas very well in the current version.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

VF_211 #6 Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:01 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1047 battles

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 16 April 2019 - 08:42 AM, said:

Flaps and speed brake are two different controls although flaps do slow you down some.

I must be missing "Flaps" when I look at settings. Thanks to all of you who've responded.

Edited by VF_211, 16 April 2019 - 10:06 PM.

Trophy_Wench #7 Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:53 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1471 battles
  • [TWE] TWE
Hey VF_211, so I also use the TM T.16k and I find that speed brake is really just throttle down. I designate the flap button to one of the base buttons and use my resting hand to control those 6 functions. (Because 6 buttons on either side.) Flaps specifically falls to my index finger finge since I rely on it so much. But what works best for you may be different so play around with it and see what feels most natural to you.

VF_211 #8 Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:25 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1047 battles

View PostTrophy_Wench, on 16 April 2019 - 06:53 PM, said:

Hey VF_211, so I also use the TM T.16k and I find that speed brake is really just throttle down. I designate the flap button to one of the base buttons and use my resting hand to control those 6 functions. (Because 6 buttons on either side.) Flaps specifically falls to my index finger finge since I rely on it so much. But what works best for you may be different so play around with it and see what feels most natural to you.

Thank you Trophy_Wench, I found the "Flaps" I just needed to have the bifocals on when looking at settings(dumb me,as usual). I'll take your advice and play around with adding buttons to the Thrustmaster. 

One last question! I have been looking at ways to increase the "stick" sensitivity. I would like to have more response when I make turns or flight adjustments. I have to pull too much and it feels sluggish sometimes. Is that because WOWP isn't necessarily the best with joystick? or is there any way I can make it more responsive(in-game or perhaps a mod)?

I know thrustmaster has software but i am saving that for last fix as I've ran into problems with 3rd party stuff in the past.

Edited by VF_211, 17 April 2019 - 03:26 PM.

Chuck_norris10 #9 Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:25 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2117 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostVF_211, on 17 April 2019 - 08:25 AM, said:

Thank you Trophy_Wench, I found the "Flaps" I just needed to have the bifocals on when looking at settings(dumb me,as usual). I'll take your advice and play around with adding buttons to the Thrustmaster. 

One last question! I have been looking at ways to increase the "stick" sensitivity. I would like to have more response when I make turns or flight adjustments. I have to pull too much and it feels sluggish sometimes. Is that because WOWP isn't necessarily the best with joystick? or is there any way I can make it more responsive(in-game or perhaps a mod)?

I know thrustmaster has software but i am saving that for last fix as I've ran into problems with 3rd party stuff in the past.

That's all in your settings and i'll try find the topic i read about it last week that shows the curves on each graph where you can change all that.

It can take a lot of experimenting with the graphs and dead zone and the rest of the settings.

Dr. sinister I think was explaining it on the topic I read. Seeing some pics of examples helps also.

Chuck_norris10 #10 Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:50 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2117 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

Some good info here.

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/14119-crash-course-on-new-axes-graphs-for-joysticks/page__hl__%20logitech#topmost

VF_211 #11 Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:09 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1047 battles

Thanks Chuck! 

Chuck_norris10 #12 Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:14 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2117 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostVF_211, on 17 April 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

Thanks Chuck! 

I find if I tweak for a light fighter it makes heavier planes harder to fly so experiment with dead zone and other things too.

You definitely have a lot of options!

I like it set so I can drop the nose and turn as quick as possible so my settings are a bit different then whats pictured but you'll figure it out.

Used to be these settings would revert to default after each update but that's fixed now so you dont have to worry about losing them all the time.

Have fun with the new tools!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users