Jump to content


Tier makes a difference. A big difference. MM follies...


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

CorvusCorvax #1 Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:16 AM

    Major

  • Member
  • 5154 battles
  • 5,917
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

Flying the Me-262HGII tier IX German HF.

 

Battle 1:  Downtiered against a flighted pair, Yak-30 and Seahawk.  Sure, I was top scorer on my team, but I had very little to do with the outcome of the battle.  The other human on my team was a F2H driver who scored a grand total of 3300 points.  I was able to shoot down the pair once, when they were engaged separately over a Stronghold.  I got lucky there, no doubt.

 

Battle 2:  Top tier with 4 humans per side!  Had a glorious turnfight with a specialized F2H at 4000m  My HGII has a turn build, and I used every trick to get around on him.  It took me 15 turns to finally crit his tail and put us both out of our high-altitude misery.  Then spent the rest of the battle shooting down German jet bombers.  They sure are pesky, those German bombers...

 

At the very end of the battle, I found Mr. F2H again.  He didn't see me, and if the battle would have lasted another 30 seconds, I would have had him again.  o7, brother, you put up a heck of a fight.



FIight #2 Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:52 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 5069 battles
  • 745
  • [HVAR] HVAR
  • Member since:
    09-11-2015

The thing is more humans = more collaboration  = more fun, with bunch of ill-programmed bots it's

not even possible to "clear the tail" or do some tactical maneuver



losttwo #3 Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:03 AM

    which way do we go?

  • Community Ace
  • 10968 battles
  • 15,345
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
  • Member since:
    05-15-2012

I disagree with you about tier making a big difference. Well only a little.

Tier would make a difference if you had no experience playing this game.

I believe it is more plane than tier that makes a difference.

 

I had a top notch match yesterday and was all excited to make a video to show off.

Flying the Pancake and not getting destroyed once during a match.

Highest score and McCambell medal. AWESOME for me.

 

My XF5U has no equipment other than the sight.

Still trying to learn about the equipment before I start attaching unnecessary junk.

It was my 3rd match ( first for the day ) ever flown during 2.0 and in 2 years.

 

Down to less than 40 HP at one point and no airfield for regeneration.

 

I looked at the player list when I was getting ready to make the video replay.

Looked like I was in a match consisting of ALL BOTS.

I kid you not. I could not find a single human name on the opposite team.

All of them had Capitol letters to start and lower case to finish.

All simple names like bot names are.

 

Maybe if there was a human on the opposition he was not very good.

Or at least he got the bad bots. And a rage quit result of a match.

 


Edited by losttwo, 29 March 2019 - 08:04 AM.


Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #4 Posted 29 March 2019 - 11:34 AM

    Major

  • Member
  • 1520 battles
  • 5,381
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
  • Member since:
    01-26-2014

View Postlosttwo, on 29 March 2019 - 03:03 AM, said:

I disagree with you about tier making a big difference. Well only a little.

Tier would make a difference if you had no experience playing this game.

I believe it is more plane than tier that makes a difference.

 

I had a top notch match yesterday and was all excited to make a video to show off.

Flying the Pancake and not getting destroyed once during a match.

Highest score and McCambell medal. AWESOME for me.

 

My XF5U has no equipment other than the sight.

Still trying to learn about the equipment before I start attaching unnecessary junk.

It was my 3rd match ( first for the day ) ever flown during 2.0 and in 2 years.

 

Down to less than 40 HP at one point and no airfield for regeneration.

 

I looked at the player list when I was getting ready to make the video replay.

Looked like I was in a match consisting of ALL BOTS.

I kid you not. I could not find a single human name on the opposite team.

All of them had Capitol letters to start and lower case to finish.

All simple names like bot names are.

 

Maybe if there was a human on the opposition he was not very good.

Or at least he got the bad bots. And a rage quit result of a match.

 

so... basically you were playing with yourself

and won't show us the video

thanks bro

it's the little things that count


if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.


wylleEcoyote #5 Posted 29 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 8299 battles
  • 1,216
  • [ALAS] ALAS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
This point strikes home on the concept of what makes a plane Over Powered. Or nearly so.
It is one thing to be competitive within your tier. Expected even.
But some planes get owned up tier. And some still compete.

Is it the plane and where is sits on the sliding scale of Tier 1 Manuverability and Teir 10 Airspeed?
is the next tier up a bit undergunned? (That tier 5-6 fighter transition)
Is it the 3,4 or 5 skill pilot?

Sure that all contributes.

It is really helpful if the player knows what the limitations of their plane are.
And how to avoid situations where those limitations are a liability.

With those limitations in mind proper equipment and Pilot Skill selection does make a difference
in the way you remain competitive when you are up tiered.
 
Spoiler

Edited by wylleEcoyote, 29 March 2019 - 01:10 PM.

Fair warning. My success rate at speculative guesswork is on par with my WinRate. Hit or Miss.
 I start on the right track and then sometimes make a weird left turn and get lost in the weeds ... 

Specialist Planes earned: Japan, USA, UK, Germany, USSR, Europe
Light Fighters:  Ar 68/80, Bf 109 B/E/E-3/F/G, Fw 159, He 51/100 D-1/112, Ho 229, Me 209 A/ v4/ P.1092, Spit.V DB605​, Ta 152 
Ki-5/8/10/27/43-I/43-II, A4N, A5M, A6M1, Hurricane Ia, Bristol 146, Spitfire Vb IM, DH.100 F1, I-17Yak-1MiG-3
P-23/36/36C/39N-1/40, XP-31/36F/55, Hawk 75M, Model 81A-1, , P-51A, XF15C

MultiRole Fighters: Type 91, P-12/26/35/43, XP-44, P-47B, F11C-2, F4F/U-1, 
TyphoonAr 65, Fw 190 A-1/5/D, BV P.210/212.03, I-5/15/16(e)(l)

Heavy Fighters: P-38 F/J, XP-58P-82 B, Beaufighter/ VAo 192, Fw 57, Bf 110 B/C-6/E, Me 410, Bf 109 Z, Do 335 A-1, Me 262, Tu-1, SE 100,

Attack Aircraft: BSh-2, Hs 123/129 A, Ha 137, Fw 189 C, Ju 87 G, Me 265, Me 1099 B-2
Bombers: B-17 G, Do 17 Z / 217 M, He 111 H2, Ju 288 C, Pe-2 

 


trikke #6 Posted 29 March 2019 - 01:02 PM

    Major

  • Member
  • 5213 battles
  • 5,064
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

i'm a poor pilot, but being one tier down doesn't really concern me

 

unless the uptiered planes are human 


Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

losttwo #7 Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:10 PM

    which way do we go?

  • Community Ace
  • 10968 battles
  • 15,345
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
  • Member since:
    05-15-2012

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 29 March 2019 - 06:34 AM, said:

so... basically you were playing with yourself

and won't show us the video

thanks bro

it's the little things that count

 

just means I do not have to use 2 hands

Maverick_Rivers #8 Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1368 battles
  • 694
  • [X3M] X3M
  • Member since:
    10-01-2018

A few of us come from the time when you could be uptiered by two tiers. Remember those days losttwo?  Uptiered "just" one tier became no big deal and we learned how to fly our lower tier plane by not remembering its limitations, but using its strengths along with strategy. One learned to be very cagey. 

 

So all pilots who look at being uptiered by ONE tier, think about how it would be if that was nothing!  Can you even imagine looking at that and thinking, "Oh cool, just one tier? I got this, no prob."

 

Booze


Spoiler

 


losttwo #9 Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:54 PM

    which way do we go?

  • Community Ace
  • 10968 battles
  • 15,345
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
  • Member since:
    05-15-2012

View PostBooze_Morgan, on 29 March 2019 - 11:22 AM, said:

A few of us come from the time when you could be uptiered by two tiers. Remember those days losttwo?  Uptiered "just" one tier became no big deal and we learned how to fly our lower tier plane by not remembering its limitations, but using its strengths along with strategy. One learned to be very cagey. 

 

So all pilots who look at being uptiered by ONE tier, think about how it would be if that was nothing!  Can you even imagine looking at that and thinking, "Oh cool, just one tier? I got this, no prob."

 

Booze

 

and the real Akamatsu Medal.

 

 

 



sandtiger #10 Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:02 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 23628 battles
  • 1,649
  • Member since:
    04-25-2011

View Posttrikke, on 29 March 2019 - 05:02 AM, said:

i'm a poor pilot, but being one tier down doesn't really concern me

 

unless the uptiered planes are human 

the only time i hate be the low tier is when i have a stock plane that can not hit because i work on it lol

but i think most pilot would feel this way



CorvusCorvax #11 Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:54 PM

    Major

  • Member
  • 5154 battles
  • 5,917
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostBooze_Morgan, on 29 March 2019 - 04:22 PM, said:

A few of us come from the time when you could be uptiered by two tiers.

 

It's a different game now, and the energy games you could play before you can't play now.   And altitude games are really not as important anymore.  

CorvusCorvax #12 Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:01 PM

    Major

  • Member
  • 5154 battles
  • 5,917
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Postlosttwo, on 29 March 2019 - 06:54 PM, said:

 

and the real Akamatsu Medal.

 

 

 

OK, I'm  going to bust on you here.  2 Ju-87s and a stupid Bf-110E driver is not what I would call anything but a gift Akamatsu.

 

Heck, I could knock down a Ju-87 with an I-15, easy.  And a Bf-110E on the deck, turning?  Please.  Even I, as dumb as I am, know how to fight two I-16s with a Bf-110E.  And it isn't turning on the deck!

 



wylleEcoyote #13 Posted 30 March 2019 - 04:31 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 8299 battles
  • 1,216
  • [ALAS] ALAS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostBooze_Morgan, on 29 March 2019 - 11:22 AM, said:

 

So all pilots who look at being uptiered by ONE tier, think about how it would be if that was nothing!  Can you even imagine looking at that and thinking, "Oh cool, just one tier? I got this, no prob."

 

Booze

 

I cant fault you for your line of thinking. I was playing WoT when they had +5/-4 matchmaking and survived.

Although the current situation in WoWP has that toned down a fair bit. 
If you REALLY wanted to go that wide MM spread route. You could. 
 
It would be awful.

But at least then all your matches would be with Humans.
soooo ...
Progress?

Fair warning. My success rate at speculative guesswork is on par with my WinRate. Hit or Miss.
 I start on the right track and then sometimes make a weird left turn and get lost in the weeds ... 

Specialist Planes earned: Japan, USA, UK, Germany, USSR, Europe
Light Fighters:  Ar 68/80, Bf 109 B/E/E-3/F/G, Fw 159, He 51/100 D-1/112, Ho 229, Me 209 A/ v4/ P.1092, Spit.V DB605​, Ta 152 
Ki-5/8/10/27/43-I/43-II, A4N, A5M, A6M1, Hurricane Ia, Bristol 146, Spitfire Vb IM, DH.100 F1, I-17Yak-1MiG-3
P-23/36/36C/39N-1/40, XP-31/36F/55, Hawk 75M, Model 81A-1, , P-51A, XF15C

MultiRole Fighters: Type 91, P-12/26/35/43, XP-44, P-47B, F11C-2, F4F/U-1, 
TyphoonAr 65, Fw 190 A-1/5/D, BV P.210/212.03, I-5/15/16(e)(l)

Heavy Fighters: P-38 F/J, XP-58P-82 B, Beaufighter/ VAo 192, Fw 57, Bf 110 B/C-6/E, Me 410, Bf 109 Z, Do 335 A-1, Me 262, Tu-1, SE 100,

Attack Aircraft: BSh-2, Hs 123/129 A, Ha 137, Fw 189 C, Ju 87 G, Me 265, Me 1099 B-2
Bombers: B-17 G, Do 17 Z / 217 M, He 111 H2, Ju 288 C, Pe-2 

 





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users