Basic Game Concepts and Pet Peeves

game concepts basics basic

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

White_Widow18 #1 Posted 29 March 2019 - 01:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6676 battles
  • [I_D] I_D
Pet peeves, friendly suggestions, and experience driven concepts. Please add to and/or debate all you want, but these are things I've found in the game to be truisms with some limited caveats.

If there's a -player- Bomber or GAA and you have the ability to take it down and are not. You're a detriment to your team. I watch Heavy Fighter players try to turn fight LFs all the time while bombers fly overhead.. sometimes I'm ONE of those bombers.. I just laugh.. but seriously. Don't do that. COME AFTER ME.

If there's a mining plant, I suggest you keep the other team from having it at the very least because if you control it for a long enough stretch you can win almost every time due to that -massive- boost in resources every couple of minutes.

Missile bases and Command Centers are your second most useful bases behind mining plants, but CCs take a while to spool up their damage output so keep that in mind.

Garrisons are simplistic to take and rarely have players or AI bots in great numbers defending them, easy soft targets if there's nothing else -better-

Air Bases are -only- distracting points of conflict that suck away fire and capture points from more viable options unless you happen to be an -extremely- dominant air to air player. If you're not and you're going there over and over again wasting minutes upon minutes while other enemy bases go undefended (the almost 100% of the time case).. guess what.. you're a disservice to your team.

If you are flying a Ground Attack Aircraft and you are exclusively focusing on air to air targets, most of the time.. your team -will- lose because you just handicapped your team's capacity to hit ground targets by one plane. Bravo, you can successfully aim a lumbering ox of a plane and keep it -just- on the edge of not stalling.. you're still a disservice to your team because you handicapped their ability to generate capture points by -exclusively- focusing on air targets. Help superiority or majority cap and -then- go have your air to air fun. I do.

If you are going head to head vs. a rocket laden air to air MRF in anything other than a GAA... you just have a death wish, don't do that. Under or over-fly the MRF and turn in behind it, otherwise you're easy prey and handicapping your team by just being cannon fodder.
Opinions are like certain body parts. Everyone has them and most of the time they stink.

Captain_Underpants53 #2 Posted 29 March 2019 - 01:51 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18302 battles
  • [I_D] I_D
:medal:
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

CorvusCorvax #3 Posted 29 March 2019 - 02:51 AM

Captain

• 2933 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

The human at the top of the scoreboard probably knows something about the game.  You should listen if they suggest that you defend the plant.

If you can, shoot down the bombers form the enemy CC if you can't take the CC outright.  Or cover your own bombers.

Azis_ #4 Posted 29 March 2019 - 03:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1734 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

Or you might get a life....

:sceptic:

rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

CorvusCorvax #5 Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:06 AM

Captain

• 2933 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostAzis_, on 29 March 2019 - 03:37 AM, said:

Pssssht.  Come on, now - if we had lives, we wouldn't spend them HERE, of all places...

Edited by CorvusCorvax, 29 March 2019 - 04:06 AM.

Captain_Underpants53 #6 Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:56 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18302 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

View PostAzis_, on 28 March 2019 - 10:37 PM, said:

As opposed to trolling the forum?
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

losttwo #7 Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:42 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 1639 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostWhite_Widow18, on 28 March 2019 - 08:35 PM, said:

Pet peeves, friendly suggestions, and experience driven concepts. Please add to and/or debate all you want, but these are things I've found in the game to be truisms with some limited caveats.

If there's a -player- Bomber or GAA and you have the ability to take it down and are not. You're a detriment to your team.

I watch Heavy Fighter players try to turn fight LFs all the time while bombers fly overhead.. sometimes I'm ONE of those bombers.. I just laugh.. but seriously. Don't do that. COME AFTER ME.

If there's a mining plant, I suggest you keep the other team from having it at the very least because if you control it for a long enough stretch you can win almost every time due to that -massive- boost in resources every couple of minutes.

Missile bases and Command Centers are your second most useful bases behind mining plants, but CCs take a while to spool up their damage output so keep that in mind.

Garrisons are simplistic to take and rarely have players or AI bots in great numbers defending them, easy soft targets if there's nothing else -better-

Air Bases are -only- distracting points of conflict that suck away fire and capture points from more viable options unless you happen to be an -extremely- dominant air to air player. If you're not and you're going there over and over again wasting minutes upon minutes while other enemy bases go undefended (the almost 100% of the time case).. guess what.. you're a disservice to your team.

If you are flying a Ground Attack Aircraft and you are exclusively focusing on air to air targets, most of the time.. your team -will- lose because you just handicapped your team's capacity to hit ground targets by one plane. Bravo, you can successfully aim a lumbering ox of a plane and keep it -just- on the edge of not stalling.. you're still a disservice to your team because you handicapped their ability to generate capture points by -exclusively- focusing on air targets. Help superiority or majority cap and -then- go have your air to air fun. I do.

If you are going head to head vs. a rocket laden air to air MRF in anything other than a GAA... you just have a death wish, don't do that. Under or over-fly the MRF and turn in behind it, otherwise you're easy prey and handicapping your team by just being cannon fodder.

Thanks for posting this helpful hints.

More so about the order of capture targets.

I admit I have / was more focused on the airfields do to the ability to fix aircraft.

However paying attention to matches I have noticed the lesser value of airfields.

Not all airfields have the repair ability.

It is just like WG to make or establish capture priorities so experienced players, that actually pay attention,

will always have the advantage.

Yesterday I realized that some capture points do not even have ADA coverage.

You forgot to mention. DO NOT TAILGATE the GAA or you will get bombed.

It is really driving me crazy when we have the capture advantage and lose it.

Either by the bombers or by the rockets.

It stinks when you go from having the advantage to falling behind and can't destroy all the enemy planes.

I did have one match in which I was the last survivor against 3 HF. I went low twisted and turned so they could not get me.

Was able to maintain the win. Happy that WG has not done away with that feature.

Always hated it when the last guy would YOLO when you had the win and turn it to a loss.

White_Widow18 #8 Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6676 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

View Postlosttwo, on 29 March 2019 - 02:42 AM, said:

Not all airfields have the repair ability.

Yesterday I realized that some capture points do not even have ADA coverage.

You forgot to mention. DO NOT TAILGATE the GAA or you will get bombed.

All solid additions, as is the idea of using terrain. I cannot name the # of people I've killed by taking their maneuverability or speed advantage away using terrain, or managed to keep tied up away from the fight for multiple minutes =D

I started this thread after getting annoyed at repeated mistakes out of people and I realized about halfway through that literally.. no where could I find this information when I started playing and I -was- that newbie making everyone hate me by running to air fields over and over or going "oh, middle is the biggest deal no matter what!" among other simple to correct mistakes. 

Hoping everyone -honestly- contributes, because if we want newbies to stick around or understand the game and not drive us nuts... (no offense to WG here) but it seems its up to us to educate 'em. Same for anyone returning.. I can't even imagine coming back to this game after being used to 1.xx in terms of trying to figure out strategy, but I also know some tactics just never die. 

Example: I use a modified down and out in quite a few different planes. Pull up, slam the flaps and airbrakes, wait for it to -almost- stall, close the flaps, yaw the nose over and slam the boost juice on as I go down -really- fast in a long arcing turn. Most of the time people will undershoot me and I've already picked up my full speed am facing away and 1500 feet away before they start actually managing to turn and come back on me.

Opinions are like certain body parts. Everyone has them and most of the time they stink.

blindfoId #9 Posted 29 March 2019 - 11:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Administrator
  • 8 battles
Some really good tips over here :medal: 

wylleEcoyote #10 Posted 29 March 2019 - 01:15 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 3966 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 28 March 2019 - 11:56 PM, said:

As opposed to trolling the forum?

That is a different game all together :trollface:

SkyWolf__WM #11 Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:28 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5457 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostAzis_, on 28 March 2019 - 10:37 PM, said:

I tried that. Did not work for me. Thank you for being helpful. One might wonder how your jam packed life allows you the time. :sceptic:

***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

legoboy0401 #12 Posted 30 March 2019 - 12:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1305 battles

View PostWhite_Widow18, on 29 March 2019 - 01:22 AM, said:

All solid additions, as is the idea of using terrain. I cannot name the # of people I've killed by taking their maneuverability or speed advantage away using terrain, or managed to keep tied up away from the fight for multiple minutes =D

I started this thread after getting annoyed at repeated mistakes out of people and I realized about halfway through that literally.. no where could I find this information when I started playing and I -was- that newbie making everyone hate me by running to air fields over and over or going "oh, middle is the biggest deal no matter what!" among other simple to correct mistakes. 

Hoping everyone -honestly- contributes, because if we want newbies to stick around or understand the game and not drive us nuts... (no offense to WG here) but it seems its up to us to educate 'em. Same for anyone returning.. I can't even imagine coming back to this game after being used to 1.xx in terms of trying to figure out strategy, but I also know some tactics just never die. 

Example: I use a modified down and out in quite a few different planes. Pull up, slam the flaps and airbrakes, wait for it to -almost- stall, close the flaps, yaw the nose over and slam the boost juice on as I go down -really- fast in a long arcing turn. Most of the time people will undershoot me and I've already picked up my full speed am facing away and 1500 feet away before they start actually managing to turn and come back on me.

What I will do in my Energy Fighters and I have to deal with a high firepower Multirole or Turn&Burn Light Fighter coming in, is I will get as close to the ground as possible and fly away from them at a perpendicular angle, all to evade their attention, and then, once they are distracted by another team mate of mine, I turn around, get on their tail and blast them to bits before they ever get a chance to react.

Edited by legoboy0401, 30 March 2019 - 12:41 AM.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

Azis_ #13 Posted 30 March 2019 - 01:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1734 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View PostblindfoId, on 29 March 2019 - 03:54 AM, said:

Some really good tips over here :medal: 

I wonder if that includes my tip?

:B

rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

Azis_ #14 Posted 30 March 2019 - 01:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1734 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View Postlegoboy0401, on 29 March 2019 - 04:40 PM, said:

What I will do in my Energy Fighters and I have to deal with a high firepower Multirole or Turn&Burn Light Fighter coming in, is I will get as close to the ground as possible and fly away from them at a perpendicular angle, all to evade their attention, and then, once they are distracted by another team mate of mine, I turn around, get on their tail and blast them to bits before they ever get a chance to react.

Good luck with that with any other than bots....cuz I feed on your type ;)

legoboy0401 #15 Posted 30 March 2019 - 01:41 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1305 battles

View PostAzis_, on 29 March 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

My SE-100 is hungry for your turnfighters. Bring on your turnfighters, my SE-100 will feast.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

CorvusCorvax #16 Posted 30 March 2019 - 04:20 AM

Captain

• 2933 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostAzis_, on 30 March 2019 - 01:08 AM, said:

Yup.

Azis_ #17 Posted 30 March 2019 - 04:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1734 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View Postlegoboy0401, on 29 March 2019 - 05:41 PM, said:

My SE-100 is hungry for your turnfighters. Bring on your turnfighters, my SE-100 will feast.

Is that a date? Can't wait!

White_Widow18 #18 Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6676 battles
  • [I_D] I_D
Addition:

Not being willing to die.

Yes, sometimes putting up the good fight is awesome and even can result in you winning the individual air battle (even then you can use a lot of time, speed, position, and consumables chasing someone).. buuuuuuuuutttttt

Sometimes it just eats up whole chunks of minutes wherein you do nothing as a player except eventually die. You didn't contribute to capturing a node, defending a node, or gaining personal points.. you just died and wasted a bunch of time flying. The guy who spent time chasing you may have been out of the game for a while.. but he got a kill and points -and- kept you out the game for the same amount of time + respawn and fly back to combat time.

So on occasion (at the least), it's better to learn to die with grace and dignity and as fast as you can so you can get on to doing something more productive in the match. (Caveats: Attrition modes get tricky with this and obvs. squall line forms an exception)

losttwo #19 Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:09 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 1639 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

New tip ( I am sure most of you already know ).

Lawndart before the squall line and enter match so you have a fresh plane.

This will ensure a possibility of a win rather than a guaranteed loss.

Flying my LBSH for a daily and having the lead with all cap points covered

I would get wrecked before the squall line and miss the entry time.

Game turned into a total loss.

If you can get back in just before the squall line then there is a chance, even in a GA, to maintain the lead for the win.

ClosedCoffin #20 Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:38 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 7101 battles
  • [MRCS] MRCS

View Postlosttwo, on 02 April 2019 - 07:09 PM, said:

New tip ( I am sure most of you already know ).

Lawndart before the squall line and enter match so you have a fresh plane.

This will ensure a possibility of a win rather than a guaranteed loss.

Flying my LBSH for a daily and having the lead with all cap points covered

I would get wrecked before the squall line and miss the entry time.

Game turned into a total loss.

If you can get back in just before the squall line then there is a chance, even in a GA, to maintain the lead for the win.

I may be reading this wrong, but if you die one second before the Squall Line then you will still re-spawn, even after the Squall line has started.

Also tagged with game, concepts, basics, basic

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users