Analysis - Google's Stadia- a possible saver for WoWP? Take notice WG

Stadia

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:08 PM

Captain

• 64 battles

Last year I wrote a thread here asking if the PC gaming days are numbered. The concept is to have remote access with very little client hardware. 

Some of you thought that was a bit bizzare to do gaming that way. Now advance to 2019 where Google will be bringing gaming to web browsers for any title. It does not matter if you are on tablet, cell phone, TV, or laptop. No hardware specification will be needed. It will all be done through the Google data center over the web. Imagine all those hardware restrictions that WG has to deal with from the RU region eliminated. If WoWP has one standard excellent platform, then the developers can focus on true content. WG could even reduce their server farms to cut costs.

IMO players would return to the game. Imagine getting 4k game streaming on a weak processor desktop. No need for new video cards, processors, or even hard drive space. Now all of this is up in the as to when it will happen in 2019 (projected release). In addition, the question is what will the network environments be needed? 

I see all of this exciting for the future of gaming. The big question is will it happen?

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

Stygian_Alchemist #2 Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 9161 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
The laws of physics creating latency will kill this as fast and as bad as satellite internet for gaming was killed.

Also, if -steam- can't get traction in the market place for what amounts to a new console? I doubt google will either.. and with Google's LONG track record of failed hardware and software projects? There's no way anyone with sense would buy and adopt one in the first generation or two. The only brilliant hardware/software idea they ever had was Android and that involved them giving it away and letting someone else make the money on the hardware end of things mostly because they just aren't that good at it. 

They're a marketing and data analytics house, not a hardware or software company and that has shown at literally every turn.

mnbv_fockewulfe #3 Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:41 PM

Captain

• 591 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Here's the thing I don't understand:
Your graphics card still has to process and display what's displayed in your browser. 

What's the difference between my crappy integrated GPU running WOWP on my computer at 25FPS avg

and running it in my browser? For one thing, I'd need a lot more bandwidth to play anything...

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

Stygian_Alchemist #4 Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 9161 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 20 March 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

Here's the thing I don't understand:
Your graphics card still has to process and display what's displayed in your browser. 

What's the difference between my crappy integrated GPU running WOWP on my computer at 25FPS avg

and running it in my browser? For one thing, I'd need a lot more bandwidth to play anything...

Bingo.

While it might lower -some- render requirements, it's still going to require a graphics adapter roughly equivalent (ergo in cost too) to that. Then there's latency.. so.. it pre-renders part of it and you're constantly streaming that, which is great for watching a show and not so much for anything direct interaction level. Not only would -you- need a bigger data pipe, but so would everything in between. Imagine anywhere that data is charged by the GB (Russia and Europe come to mind).. So.. they're going to get people to pay more to the ISP to play a game with worse latency? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm certain that will endear the gaming community to spend more money on games amirite?

This is, literally and figuratively, the worst idea I've seen in gaming since the Dreamcast and its 56k modem or the ET game for Atari.

This is -great- though for anyone who owns their own ISP and wants to make more money off of it.. or is heavily invested in GB-charged ISPs... *looks at Google*

Again, data/analytics and marketing.

This is one of those nice buzzword filled marketing dreams that is just that.. a -dream-.

PC gaming keeps getting called "dead" year on year btw.. and.. year on year here it is, it even has growth in the segment. Why is that do you suppose? Could it be that A.) Keyboard and Mouse is something a console controller cannot possibly compete with for those who prefer keyboard and mouse? Which blocks them out from whole literal game types being fun btw, lol B.) That "moving target" of hardware also allows for bleeding edge experimentation that a console never will have? C.) It allows developers to NOT work in a walled garden they have to pay licensing and etc. to which cuts into their profits? D.) A console is literally just a computer that's been slightly gutted and costs more to make than an equivalent PC? E.) HAHAHA! Let's increase WarGaming's cost because the hardware will have to be -far- more robust than their current server farms and anyone who knows IT realizes that. Google may be able to offer discounts at scales of economy adoption, but I doubt highly it ever reaches that point, and etc. that list literally keeps going and going and going.. rather like the energizer bunny.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users