Jump to content


Dear WG: Today MM made an MAJOR oopsy


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

legoboy0401 #1 Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:50 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 911 battles
  • 1,055
  • Member since:
    11-30-2013

I was in a battle in my Fw 189 C Eule, just as the battle was about to start, I looked at the team list, and to my horror, THERE WERE 4(!) Heavy Fighters on the enemy team, and in addition, ALL were PLAYERS. We stood no chance, there were only 3 players on my team: myself in a GAA, another player in a GAA, and one other in a P-40 who quit out on seeing 4 player heavies on the enemy team.

 

 

Can one of you Devs explain to me why this was allowed to happen?

 

 

Regards, Legoboy0401


Remember, remember the 14th of... June, the day of patch 2.05.  Some say it's great end-game content, some say it's horrible, but history will always recall which it actually was.

 

Spoiler

 


lunber54 #2 Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:53 AM

    Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 5841 battles
  • 49
  • [TWE] TWE
  • Member since:
    06-29-2014

Honestly this happens a lot now. It’s very annoying.  An even more extreme example that I have seen numerous times, 2 random  RB-17’s versus two IL-20’s.  They could have easily split them up on GA one side with one bomber, but nope stack teams for “better balance”.  The old way where your plane was matched by the enemy team having the exact makeup as yours fixed this problem.  Now they created a whole new one by “balancing”. You come to think who and what they’re balancing after this kinda stuff occurs often enough.  


Edited by lunber54, 06 March 2019 - 05:54 AM.


LMG #3 Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:15 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 2436 battles
  • 1,813
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

As far as we're aware, the game doesn't really care about what it puts together as long as both sides have more or less the same number of players and there's no more than 3 ground pounders on either team. So you can get to fight a specialist IL-40 on your recently bought P-51H and all of your bot GAAs are IL-10Ms, the matchmaker don't care. Hell, apparently the 3 ground pounders per team rule is not even set in stone, as the Matchmaker can just toss 5-6 GAAs on each team if it wants to, so it's a gamble what you'll get at every turn.

 

So far my oddest matchup was fighting 3 specialist P-40s and 2 specialist Spitfire I, while our only specialist was a P-38F. Needless to say, the enemy team locked down the middle cap. It was so surprising I even recorded the whole deal:

 

Spoiler

 


Edited by LMG, 06 March 2019 - 07:16 AM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

GonerNL #4 Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:08 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 875 battles
  • 901
  • Member since:
    01-17-2018

Also more & more higher tier mismatches ; enemy gets spec human B-32, our team gets a stupid bot in a B17 ... and all our humans in lower tier fighters, so extra hard to get the B-32.

And not once, but 4, 5 times in a row !! If that's not Karma, what is it ??

 

MM is more irritating/frustrating than all the (other) bugs ... 


Flying on NA and EU servers

blindfoId #5 Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:53 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Administrator
  • 8 battles
  • 895
  • Member since:
    07-19-2018

View Postlegoboy0401, on 06 March 2019 - 06:50 AM, said:

I was in a battle in my Fw 189 C Eule, just as the battle was about to start, I looked at the team list, and to my horror, THERE WERE 4(!) Heavy Fighters on the enemy team, and in addition, ALL were PLAYERS. We stood no chance, there were only 3 players on my team: myself in a GAA, another player in a GAA, and one other in a P-40 who quit out on seeing 4 player heavies on the enemy team.

 

 

Can one of you Devs explain to me why this was allowed to happen?

 

 

Regards, Legoboy0401

 

Hi,

 

There's an article explaining how the MM works. Technically, everything is correct as the MM takes into account class group (PvP or PvE) and only then struggles to come to a desirable number of particular aircraft type. 

Though I would greatly appreciate it if you could share a screenshot of that battle when you had 2 players on GAA and the enemy team had 4 players on HF. 

 

The MM doesn't take into account Specialist configuration. 



GonerNL #6 Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:15 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 875 battles
  • 901
  • Member since:
    01-17-2018

View PostblindfoId, on 06 March 2019 - 10:53 AM, said:

The MM doesn't take into account Specialist configuration. 

 

Well, it should IMHO. 

Especially when that specialist is in a higher tier plane than the opponents ... and in a flight and in a plane suited to obliterate the opposing humans and bots.

 

 


Flying on NA and EU servers

White_Widow18 #7 Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:52 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 5039 battles
  • 619
  • [I_D] I_D
  • Member since:
    10-08-2018
I must be the only one who doesn't care about higher tier specialists.

Two reasons - #1 I can just avoid them and shoot at other targets and #2 because people put in a lot of time, effort, and/or money to get an edge over other people in this game and I don't mind that. That's the definition of gaming in an MMO environment. There's always going to be someone with better equipment and even once you reach the gear levels, you're always going to run into someone who is just flat better or who's class (plane) beats yours. That's OK to me. I don't want to segregate the players who've put in more time or make the game more difficult for them because they put in extra time to get advantages. It sucks to get shot down when you're over-matched, but it also gives me impetus to become better and to achieve those specialist planes and gear.

That said.. imbalanced plane type counts in a battle? That's just asking for trouble... *shudders at the thought of a match filled with nothing but ME P1102.B planes*

Edited by White_Widow18, 06 March 2019 - 02:53 PM.

Opinions are like certain body parts. Everyone has them and most of the time they stink.

legoboy0401 #8 Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 911 battles
  • 1,055
  • Member since:
    11-30-2013

View PostblindfoId, on 06 March 2019 - 01:53 AM, said:

 

Hi,

 

There's an article explaining how the MM works. Technically, everything is correct as the MM takes into account class group (PvP or PvE) and only then struggles to come to a desirable number of particular aircraft type. 

Though I would greatly appreciate it if you could share a screenshot of that battle when you had 2 players on GAA and the enemy team had 4 players on HF. 

 

The MM doesn't take into account Specialist configuration. 

 

Sorry, blindfold, but I can't offer you one. The computer I play WoWP is a dual-monitor set-up, and for some reason, while both are on, the screenshots don't work properly. I could disconnect one monitor, but I prefer to keep both on so that I can switch to the secondary, where I have Task Manager minimized, so I can just pull that right up and be able to force-close and restart WoWP in the blink of an eye when I get black screen on queing bugs, so I can load in the battle as fast as humanly possible and not miss too much, or get too far into enemy territory.

Edited by legoboy0401, 06 March 2019 - 05:48 PM.

Remember, remember the 14th of... June, the day of patch 2.05.  Some say it's great end-game content, some say it's horrible, but history will always recall which it actually was.

 

Spoiler

 


BB3_Oregon_Steel #9 Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:18 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 770 battles
  • 124
  • [I_D] I_D
  • Member since:
    10-26-2015

View PostWhite_Widow18, on 06 March 2019 - 06:52 AM, said:

I must be the only one who doesn't care about higher tier specialists.

Two reasons - #1 I can just avoid them and shoot at other targets and #2 because people put in a lot of time, effort, and/or money to get an edge over other people in this game and I don't mind that. That's the definition of gaming in an MMO environment. There's always going to be someone with better equipment and even once you reach the gear levels, you're always going to run into someone who is just flat better or who's class (plane) beats yours. That's OK to me. I don't want to segregate the players who've put in more time or make the game more difficult for them because they put in extra time to get advantages. It sucks to get shot down when you're over-matched, but it also gives me impetus to become better and to achieve those specialist planes and gear.

That said.. imbalanced plane type counts in a battle? That's just asking for trouble... *shudders at the thought of a match filled with nothing but ME P1102.B planes*

 

This ^

Ok, I'm just a low tiered noob but the MM doesn't bother me, this game has far more pressing needs (like hunting down Barron Blackscreen and his side kick, Sideways Flying Plane, and banishing them to WOT). :izmena:

 

I fight what's in front of me and do the best I can with the resources I have.  Sometimes I'm overmatched and sometimes I am the angel of destruction and doom to the red planes. It all balances out.



legoboy0401 #10 Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:32 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 911 battles
  • 1,055
  • Member since:
    11-30-2013

View PostBB3_Oregon_Steel, on 06 March 2019 - 10:18 AM, said:

 

This ^

Ok, I'm just a low tiered noob but the MM doesn't bother me, this game has far more pressing needs (like hunting down Barron Blackscreen and his side kick, Sideways Flying Plane, and banishing them to WOT). :izmena:

 

I fight what's in front of me and do the best I can with the resources I have.  Sometimes I'm overmatched and sometimes I am the angel of destruction and doom to the red planes. It all balances out.

 

Block Quote

 I fight what's in front of me and do the best I can with the resources I have.  Sometimes I'm overmatched and sometimes I am the angel of destruction and doom to the red planes. It all balances out.

 

This. I fight in EVERY BATTLE I get into, I never quit out.

 


Remember, remember the 14th of... June, the day of patch 2.05.  Some say it's great end-game content, some say it's horrible, but history will always recall which it actually was.

 

Spoiler

 


Kingwicked101 #11 Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:51 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 7912 battles
  • 197
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-
  • Member since:
    03-05-2014

Really!!!!

 

Nothing has changed in the game since my near death accident - so why is everyone still complaining. 

 

Admire the Devs for at least trying for ways to change the road forward with alternative excuses other than fixing the problem they have no idea how on how to fix. 

 

Near death encounters make you realize that overcoming the impossible is possible if you fight - Devs have no clue other than changing the notes in the tune. 

 

 



legoboy0401 #12 Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:24 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 911 battles
  • 1,055
  • Member since:
    11-30-2013

View PostKingwicked101, on 06 March 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

Really!!!!

 

Nothing has changed in the game since my near death accident - so why is everyone still complaining. 

 

Admire the Devs for at least trying for ways to change the road forward with alternative excuses other than fixing the problem they have no idea how on how to fix. 

 

Near death encounters make you realize that overcoming the impossible is possible if you fight - Devs have no clue other than changing the notes in the tune. 

 

 

 

No, I meant what I said. We COULD NOT win. They were all four of them very competent players in heavies, and there were only two of us, and in GAAs. They were on us most of the game. We COULD NOT win.

 

I had a fun game though. Not a bad result for a loss.


Remember, remember the 14th of... June, the day of patch 2.05.  Some say it's great end-game content, some say it's horrible, but history will always recall which it actually was.

 

Spoiler

 


LeastWeasel #13 Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:07 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 2061 battles
  • 253
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

I echo Kingwicked, White widow & BB. Do the best with what you got. If you truly believed you’re doomed from the start, then make the most valiant stand you can. It’s not like there isn’t another round waiting for you; nothing but random numbers saying you won’t have equal chances to square off against equals or dominate.

 

 

and remember, the mythical perfect matchmaker means you’d only ever win half your battles. It’s a thrill to win, but find joy in the challenge.


Edited by LeastWeasel, 06 March 2019 - 09:09 PM.





3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users