Frame Rate Issues

frame framerate rate oddity

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Stygian_Alchemist #1 Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 10045 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
Ok, so.. over the weekend I suddenly saw a dip in my frame rate that was causing weird judders and all sorts of issues.. I was already at "low" graphics so I went even lower.. frame rate got worse.. went all the way as low as you can possibly set the game and frame rate became UNPLAYABLY bad.

In desperation I fire up the Steam Client which happens to be HD whereas my WGC version is SD (I'm updating now that I'm getting ready to be away from the PC for a while). Nothing big here, but frame rate is semi playable.. let's try dropping the settings on -this- client... Nope.. made it worse. All the way down, still worse.

At this point I'm a little mystified, but in desperation I set my graphics -up-... WAY up. I turn them to "Very High" and suddenly my frame-rate stays around 15-18, not quite playable for my view, but -way- better than the 5-10 I was getting with -low- settings. So, I experiment and drop it to to just "High".. and suddenly "Oh.. nice.. frame rate is going back and forth between 25-30 even in a furball and the game has never looked so good".

Can any of you even offer a plausible theory as to why this is the case? I am not in any way trying to humble-brag or otherwise, I'm actually CONFUSED. I've literally never had this be the case in -any- game.. if you have a frame rate issue you drop the settings. This is antithetical to making sense. Full stop.

P.S. Holy Cow! I didn't know the game LOOKED this good! I've been flying with low graphic settings for my entire Warplanes career, this is infinitely better looking than I thought it was!

P.P.S. Hardware = AMD A12 w/ Radeon R7 12 Gigs of RAM and a partridge in a pear tree.

LeastWeasel #2 Posted 04 March 2019 - 04:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2245 battles
Augh, I might try this... been having much the same framerate issues... although at one point recently, I let the game “autodetect” my settings....

And it locked up until I got in to the xml and changed it back.

Whitewidow - out of curiousity, what are all your graphics settings at? Long question, absolutely don’t have to answer!

FlakValleyExpress #3 Posted 04 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

Captain

• 64 battles

Try these for some help

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/45676-windows-10-in-regards-to-fps-a-gaming-study/page__pid__643520#entry643520

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/153966-support-%E2%80%93-a-study-in-improving-fps-on-client-systems-for-wows/

There will still be some FPS because of the lack of game optimization. However, these basics should help.

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 04 March 2019 - 05:49 PM.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

Stygian_Alchemist #4 Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 10045 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostLeastWeasel, on 04 March 2019 - 10:47 AM, said:

Augh, I might try this... been having much the same framerate issues... although at one point recently, I let the game “autodetect” my settings....

And it locked up until I got in to the xml and changed it back.

Whitewidow - out of curiousity, what are all your graphics settings at? Long question, absolutely don’t have to answer!

At this point after much toying I have everything set to max except water which is set to lowest and I have Anisotropic set to just 8x. Frame rate is stable at 24-30 FPS which is playable and the game looks amazing. I'm going to toy some more dropping a few things mildly but leaving -most- of it set to max and seeing if I can tweak myself to a stable 30-35 FPS. (Frame rates are reported as indicated during major furball fights, open middle of nowhere flying means nothing to frame rate to my view)

Previously I had everything set to the standard "low" setting when you choose the presets and had tried dropping each individual graphics setting down further to achieve a higher frame rate but -somehow- ended up making my frame rate worse by making my graphics settings lower.. turned them higher than they'd ever been and my frame rate went up and stabilized and I'm still just.. mystified.

Stygian_Alchemist #5 Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 10045 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 04 March 2019 - 11:48 AM, said:

Out of upvotes, so you get a :medal:

Going to dig into these and other tweaks I know from other games and see what I can manage to get it up a bit but I've already doubled the look and frame rate I had previously so I dunno lol! Potato of a laptop and all that.

I'm still curious how it was that increasing my graphics settings increased my frame rate.. it's completely counter to everything I've ever known about PC gaming in 25 years.

LeastWeasel #6 Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:00 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2245 battles
Thanks, White_Widow! Forgot to ask - SD or HD client?

Stygian_Alchemist #7 Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:41 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 10045 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostLeastWeasel, on 04 March 2019 - 10:00 PM, said:

Thanks, White_Widow! Forgot to ask - SD or HD client?

I have both installed and have experimented with both. The HD -does- seem to run significantly more smoothly but I'm assuming any time they've spent on optimization lately has had to have gone into the HD version since Steam is HD only.

LeastWeasel #8 Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:01 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2245 battles
Damn. Whaddya know? Went from a maddening elastic FPS to at worst a consistent 25. Not much, but worlds better than before. HD client got all the optimization love, apparently.

Stygian_Alchemist #9 Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 10045 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostLeastWeasel, on 04 March 2019 - 11:01 PM, said:

Damn. Whaddya know? Went from a maddening elastic FPS to at worst a consistent 25. Not much, but worlds better than before. HD client got all the optimization love, apparently.

That's literally what I've seen happen. I can also keep the settings at high minus a couple blips and I am stably at 28-32 FPS. It doesn't skitter, it doesn't skip, it doesn't lag out anymore and I've had -one- Black Screen since I did this.....

My mind is reeling at the concept that turning up the settings fixed this steaming pile of game.

I mean.. I love this game.. but this is the most... bassackwards thing I've seen yet out of it.

Also tagged with frame, framerate, rate, oddity

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users