Analysis - The Black Screen problem

Analysis

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 03 March 2019 - 03:53 PM

Captain

• 64 battles

I have been tracking a few items in regards to the black screen within WoWP and here is what I found. This problem goes across multiple platforms.

Block Quote

Steam
===
Sep 24, 2018
Originally posted by blindfoId:
We are aware of the issue and the team is working on it at the moment. Hope for the problem to be resolved as soon as possible. The problem is purely in displaying the Queue Screen, do not worry - it does not affect the game in any way!

Steam forum source link

Solution: TBD

Block Quote

WoWS EU forums
===
Admiral_Nightingale Report post #1                    Posted August 27, 2018
Hey everyone,
Since latest update when I am in battle at random moments my screen turns black and I have to kill the client.

I am using a geforce GTX 1070 Ti card. and double checked if all drivers and software were updated. this happened about 6 times now in the past several days. Anyone else have similar experiences?

EU WoWS forum source link

Solution: Update video drivers

Block Quote

WG Tech Support FAQ
===
Black Screen when loading into the game.
Sep 6, 2017Nov 1, 2017
If you are experiencing a black screen upon loading into the game, please follow these steps to resolve your issue:
Press WIN+R keys at the same time.
Type: %appdata%\wargaming.net\ (you can copy paste) and then hit "OK" or press "enter".
Delete the entire World of Warplanes folder that pops up.
Now please close the Appdata folder and launch the game. You will need to rebind your controls.

If the black screen issue persists please submit a ticket to support.

WG Tech Support source link

Solution: Delete WoWP temp folder

Block Quote

WoT NA Forums
===
__IVAN_GROZNY__ #1       Posted May 01 2015 - 09:53
First lieutenant
25402 battles 

I played yesterday, and upon launcher start-up yesterday, it applied a patch.  I was able to click 'play' on the launcher yesterday and play the game fine.

Today, I start the launcher, click 'play' and it starts to load the game, but the screen goes black, and no matter how long I wait, it won't load the game, or even the opening credits.  If I alt-tab, and try to go back, the screen is white.  Process Manager says its using 12% CPU, (Intel i7 2.0ghz) while in this idle state.
Please help!

WoT NA Forum source link

Solution: Start menu >> in the search field type in %appdata% >> select roaming >> select Wargaming.net >> select WorldofTanks folder <<<<----- delete it. Run your patcher again, and see if it'll let you in. If you deleted your res_mod folder, remake it and inside it, make a folder called 0.9.7.

Block Quote

WGNA  WoWP Forum - Problem since update 1.5
==
SystemRename2357 #1     Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:49 PM
Master Sergeant
I played 1.5 update for nearly 2 days with no problem. early this morning it crashed and when i try to start the game it goes black before the login screen. I hear the music and see the cursor but the screen is completely black. My drivers are up to date and I've never had this problem. I especially don't get why it would stop working suddenly after I was able to play the update for awhile. can someone please help me I'd like to play before I go back to work on monday :( 

WoWP Forum source link

Solution: Update Video Drivers

In all cases WGcheck does not resolve the issue. There could be common causes with the black screen problem in five areas. 

1. x32-bit game infrastructure - WoWS was having black screen problems, however they recently announced no longer supporting 32-bit (x86) operating systems.WoWs is going to a 64-bit system infrastructure. WoT - Recommended system requirements: Operating System: Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 64-bit. Where as WoWP has no plans for 64-bit systems as noted here
  2. WG game Cache infrastructure - This is a common theme across WG products. The question I have have these setups been investigated for improvements since their release? I ask because WoWP depends highly on the cache system infrastructure. Maybe this needs to be trimmed or eliminated.
  3. WGC  - Another common problem cause could be the WGC program. Between all three WG game platforms this is plausible. What is the WGC is doing in the background I have no clue. There is no audit trail of logs that I can see. How it affects the game? I don't know. Not much is published on the WGC infrastructure.
  4. Video Drivers - One common cause suggested is bad video drivers, mainly with Nvidia video boards. Video drivers are a plague for all gamers in both bio feedback and game performance. However, there has to be a better explanation for the WoWP black screen if the WoWP player is always up to date with their video drivers.
  5. Memory leak or collision - The final common cause thread is a memory leak or threading. I don't know if this is true because I do not have the tracking software to prove this point.  A programmer will have to dig further into this theory.

I would like to know what the system specs of the WoWP developers are using in playing WoWP for QA. I ask because I think the Developers have better client systems than the common WoWP player. Therefore they don't see the errors. Does the WG tech support have lab systems to check theories for game problem causes? It would be good to see a video showing the process in how WG tech support solves the game bugs. I ask these question because they are all part of my analysis. Ultimately, a game programmer will have to dig further into the black screen problem.

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 03 March 2019 - 04:03 PM.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

Captain_Underpants53 #2 Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:33 PM

Major

• 33136 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

I notice various types of black screens in there.  What has become more frequent for me, and others judging by all the AFKs I see, is the one where you launch into battle but can't see or do anything until you take steps to kill the game and relaunch it.  Of course, the whole shebang is half over by the time you actually get back in.  Swell fun.

Also the audio has been AFK this weekend, again.  WoWP, where old bugs go to never die!   :(

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

FlakValleyExpress #3 Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:46 PM

Captain

• 64 battles

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 03 March 2019 - 11:33 AM, said:

I notice various types of black screens in there.  What has become more frequent for me, and others judging by all the AFKs I see, is the one where you launch into battle but can't see or do anything until you take steps to kill the game and relaunch it.  Of course, the whole shebang is half over by the time you actually get back in.  Swell fun.

Also the audio has been AFK this weekend, again.  WoWP, where old bugs go to never die!   :(

What is important to note is that the Steam version of WoWP has the same problem with the black screen. The clues are out there, they have to be put together. I know we can do this puzzle.

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

Captain_Underpants53 #4 Posted 03 March 2019 - 06:11 PM

Major

• 33136 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL
Well, if we, the players don't figure it out, I figure WG ain't gonna be bothered to even try.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Cenotaph #5 Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3307 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 03 March 2019 - 10:11 AM, said:

Well, if we, the players don't figure it out, I figure WG ain't gonna be bothered to even try.

Seems to me like the black screen during queue bug from a while ago, that WG had "fixed", is popping it's head up again.

I wonder if it is another instance of them copy/pasting some old code to make a framework for a new plan that is reintroducing it... because it wouldn't be the first time WG had done that.

Everybody remember when they kept having Invasion and Attrition events that used the old, broken version of maps that had been fixed in the normal client?

Or how long it took to get them to listen, and finally address the issue?                                  :sceptic:

I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

legoboy0401 #6 Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1985 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostCenotaph, on 03 March 2019 - 11:00 AM, said:

Seems to me like the black screen during queue bug from a while ago, that WG had "fixed", is popping it's head up again.

I wonder if it is another instance of them copy/pasting some old code to make a framework for a new plan that is reintroducing it... because it wouldn't be the first time WG had done that.

Everybody remember when they kept having Invasion and Attrition events that used the old, broken version of maps that had been fixed in the normal client?

Or how long it took to get them to listen, and finally address the issue?                                  :sceptic:

I can confirm that the "fixed" black screen on queuing isn't now, nor was ever. It never left. It was never fixed. They CLAIM they fixed it, but it is JUST NOT TRUE. They never fixed it.

I still get it at least once per night.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

Cenotaph #7 Posted 03 March 2019 - 11:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3307 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View Postlegoboy0401, on 03 March 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

I can confirm that the "fixed" black screen on queuing isn't now, nor was ever. It never left. It was never fixed. They CLAIM they fixed it, but it is JUST NOT TRUE. They never fixed it.

I still get it at least once per night.

I'm not referring to the general black screen crash, that has persisted for ages.

This is the one where the screen goes black as soon as you enter queue, however the game continues to load fine... and once a battle is found, you can see again.

That one was actually fixed... for a time...

I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

White_Widow18 #8 Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:06 AM

First Lieutenant

• 12692 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
I am almost betting its a WGC issue exacerbating the usual black screen issues
Why do I say this?

Well.. because a few days ago WGC had an update.. since then my frame-rate has gone -down-.. Not a WOWplanes update, just the WGC/launcher thingy.

So.. got bored.. loaded up the steam client version.. and.. haven't had a black screen more frequently than I have since I started playing the game and my frame rate is back up.

That's why I'm betting a WGC issue exacerbating WOWplanes' normal issues.

FlakValleyExpress #9 Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:32 PM

Captain

• 64 battles

View PostWhite_Widow18, on 03 March 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

I am almost betting its a WGC issue exacerbating the usual black screen issues
Why do I say this?

Well.. because a few days ago WGC had an update.. since then my frame-rate has gone -down-.. Not a WOWplanes update, just the WGC/launcher thingy.

So.. got bored.. loaded up the steam client version.. and.. haven't had a black screen more frequently than I have since I started playing the game and my frame rate is back up.

That's why I'm betting a WGC issue exacerbating WOWplanes' normal issues.

Good to know. IMO, I distrust a software to run another software such as a game. Why complicate things?

Vae victis

Also tagged with Analysis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users