Mixed Tier Flights

mixed flights

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Captain_Underpants53 #1 Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:13 PM

Captain

• 21494 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

In the past it was a very knuckle headed idea to mix tiers in a flight.  A Tier IV with a Tier V, for example.  But lately, around a month I suppose, I have been seeing more and more of this behavior.  The thing is, I'm seeing it from the Aces and some very sharp folks.

So what changed?  What advantage does this give a flight?  What am I missing seeing here?

:unsure:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

CorvusCorvax #2 Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:37 PM

Captain

• 3989 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Let's say you and I fly together.  And let's say you fly your B-32.  If I pick a T7 plane, there is a possibility we get downtiered against T8 humans, and unless the stars align, we both will be either nibbling at the edges or straight up target practice.  But if I run a T6 aircraft, your B-32 will be top tier, because the MM doesn't put T6 in with T8.  

The matchmaker has been sticking flighted folks downtier lately.  It doesn't happen much in T8 because of a decent human population, but at 6 and 7 it happens often.

Captain_Underpants53 #3 Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:44 PM

Captain

• 21494 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 02 March 2019 - 09:37 AM, said:

Let's say you and I fly together.  And let's say you fly your B-32.  If I pick a T7 plane, there is a possibility we get downtiered against T8 humans, and unless the stars align, we both will be either nibbling at the edges or straight up target practice.  But if I run a T6 aircraft, your B-32 will be top tier, because the MM doesn't put T6 in with T8.  

The matchmaker has been sticking flighted folks downtier lately.  It doesn't happen much in T8 because of a decent human population, but at 6 and 7 it happens often.

Yea.  Since I started paying better attention this morning I noticed a flighted pair trade who's on top with each other.  They won both games.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Cenotaph #4 Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3307 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 02 March 2019 - 06:13 AM, said:

In the past it was a very knuckle headed idea to mix tiers in a flight.  A Tier IV with a Tier V, for example.  But lately, around a month I suppose, I have been seeing more and more of this behavior.  The thing is, I'm seeing it from the Aces and some very sharp folks.

So what changed?  What advantage does this give a flight?  What am I missing seeing here?

:unsure:

Split tier flights result in -always- getting a match with your top tiered guy being top tiered in the match.

Say you are in a 7, and your partner is in a 6... you will -always- see max tier 7 matches.

This can be seriously abused, with good plane choices.

I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

CorvusCorvax #5 Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:37 PM

Captain

• 3989 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCenotaph, on 02 March 2019 - 06:07 PM, said:

Split tier flights result in -always- getting a match with your top tiered guy being top tiered in the match.

Say you are in a 7, and your partner is in a 6... you will -always- see max tier 7 matches.

This can be seriously abused, with good plane choices.

Oh, I know it.  I did that with a bomber pilot last week, and it was 100% victories in that session.  We played all across the tiers.

Catch21 #6 Posted 03 March 2019 - 11:34 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3989 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5
It seems to me it's gaming the system some. Maybe they should just ban flights that aren't of the same tier, or suicide jockeys solo pilots might just bail out of battles when they see them. 

Moonrider #7 Posted 04 March 2019 - 05:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 1961 battles

+/- 1 tier flights I don't have a problem with. That mix doesn't put a plane on the team that can't contribute to a win. There's not many pilots that will gain a huge advantage from being top tier all the time no matter how good their plane choice may be.

A gap of 2 tiers in flights make me a little unhappy, but I can accept it. Most planes are little more than targets for a plane two tiers up, but some pilots are skillful enough to pull it off.

More than two tiers difference will make me growl though. You're not going to be competitive in the low tier plane no matter how good you are as a pilot. The performance difference is just too great. Flights like that essentially put the team a plane short.

Edited by Moonrider, 04 March 2019 - 05:18 PM.

Logic is a feeble reed, friend. "Logic" proved that airplanes can't fly and that H-bombs won't work and that stones don't fall out of the sky. Logic is a way of saying that anything which didn't happen yesterday won't happen tomorrow.
-- R. A Heinlein​, Glory Road

Also tagged with mixed, flights

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users