What are your go-to Ace hopefuls?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

LeastWeasel #1 Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3918 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Alright, not a productive topic, but as I spent most of the weekend striving, revamping my methodology, taking long breaks to simply fly for fun & effectiveness, and then returning to the get-an-ace grind... I was wondering what other people’s go-to planes, tiers, and strats were for Ace medal hunting? 

My thoughts & approach, in no particular order: 

1. Don’t stress it; it’s not about you. You kinda need the perfect storm of map, bot performance & player population. 

2. When you have to endanger yourself for a kill, don’t. You need to live to the end. Particularily around/after squall. Don’t deny yourself the option to hunt for those last kills if you can finish your target in ten seconds instead of five. Can’t count the number of 15, 17 kill battles I hobbled away from thanks to this.

3. Cultivate the battlefield; keep the points even. You want long games. 

4. Planes: Although I think I am more of an energy fighter, I’ve got a low-tier exception: 

A) Fantome, tier 4. Grab a center point, reenact the “death blossom” from the Last Starfighter, and regain (your minimal ) alt between brawls. If you’re comfortable - always take out the LF ADA at a site before turning on the enemy team. Losing a cap & regaining is great for this reason. Fairly consistent 17-kill matches, but my lack of speed always hurt post-squall, when you need to hunt for those last few. There were a few matches where in retrospect I should have booked it to an enemy airfield/command center instead of hoping for a door-to-door delivery of the  bot buffet.

B) Bf 109 z / Me 262 HG II 

Long games and bomber flights is what I go for; aim for an inconspicuous high-alt perch along the flight path where you can intercept the bombers & munch on the occassional enemy airframe. This all hinges on getting the highest possible value on your attack runs, and using your speed to avoid getting bogged down. My enemy here is the clock. 15 kills is my average on my 109z attempts, managing your cannon cooldown is critical. 

5) Vs human players on a high-population weekend? 

Damn. You all are good at this game. Hats off for every foiled attempt. 

Leadlooser #2 Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:29 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 9905 battles

Your question was a about which planes were the best medal hunters.  Sadly, I don't know, but would type whatever plane you fancy/enjoy.  Regarding your list:

1.  Yes, I absolutely agree with the less-stress idea - perfect storms happen both for and against one.

2.  Yes, Survive after the squall line.  It gives you a chance to finish off damaged planes.

3.  I like your idea here, but it may adversely affect the scores of your peers, or give them equal chance to prolong the games.  The perfect storm needs one to rise well above the others and could seem a bit selfish, but in a game populated with bots, OK.

4.  Both A and B parts are about which plane to fly.  Like I noted before, whatever you like.

5.  Not so much.  I'd rather take out as many bot 'players,' while minimizing the number of non-AI pilot downings.  Whether it's a bot or not, we still get the same XP, and I prefer bots even if their flight behavior is suspect from time to time.

LeastWeasel #3 Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:02 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3918 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
Thanks for the reply, Leadlooser - yeah, I’m less looking for “what is best”, as everything is highly contingent! More the conversational input of “this is what I’ve done / what would/do you do”?  :p

I’ve come to notice that if I don’t take down enemy players when they enter my envelope, they will absolutely take the option to shoot me down! So I kinda prioritize by airframe threat (take out similar/threatening performance ‘frames), and rank on the scoreboard... with a preference to human targets.

Tryin’ not to be a jerk - but in the case of a slow TnB like the Fantome, you’re like a little, spinny sarlacc - you simply need to eat whatever comes in reach. Conversely, BnZ tends to bring in kills at a slower rate, so to be effective I really need to pick high-impact targets.

But yeah, shooting for an ace is madness - 80% of games aren’t viable for it... it’s about mid-match when you suddenly realize it’s within reach! Then the pressure hits :p

Azis_ #4 Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2928 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

Not even sure what the requirement for Ace is now?!?!?

I have 30 apparently pre 2.x but don't think I have any post. I do have several 17-20 kill battles.

I honestly don't set out for any such goals however, just keep low expectations so I might get surprised by other than such outcome.

rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

LeastWeasel #5 Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:38 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3918 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

View PostAzis_, on 25 February 2019 - 03:30 PM, 

I honestly don't set out for any such goals however, just keep low expectations so I might get surprised by other than such outcome.

Me too - but working for the XP-55 & now the Bv have led me to the weird world of medal hunting. Specifically working for certain medals makes me look at my planes in a different light - but can’t wait to get this last & return to flying whatever :p

Azis_ #6 Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2928 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

:great:

So what is the magic #?

rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

LeastWeasel #7 Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:46 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3918 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
20 air targets.

lunber54 #8 Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:56 PM

Master Sergeant

• 7562 battles
Walmart Aces are the easiest way to achieve an ace.  What I mean is farm bomber flights.  Additionally having a flight mate willing to assist in getting the kills also helps.  I was in a match helping my flightmate get an ace, I got 5 kills and 11 assists.  We got that mission knocked out in about 5 matches.  It’s not easy, but it can be done with the right strategy and assistance. 

LeastWeasel #9 Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3918 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
Been doing it solo - while I had previously farmed a walmart ace or two easily with the 262 (while Marseilles hunting), it’s been hella elusive, since! The109z, I noticed, keeps falling juuuuust short of the firepower needed to blap 5 bombers in a single run. Might indeed be time to reach out for a wingman - the experiment’s been fun... but hoo boy, it’s been three days of effort!

El_Mulo #10 Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:58 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 14879 battles

I believe that a requirement for an ACE medal for a new plane as a "YOU MUST BUY IT" condition. 

Just a Marseilles depends more in luck that in your skills.

Anyway I will try and I think that you will need:

1) Be in the upper tiier (better if you are a  T 4 in a game with. obviously. T3).

2) Few humans in both sides. and none skillful.

3) A 5 sectors map (to go to 800 points= more time)

4) You will need to maintain a balance between red and blue sectors (in order to make the battle last long enough).  To do that you will probably need to kill some blue bots (GGAA and BB or ADA))

5) Hunt outside the sectors where the concentration of enemies is low.

6) Choose well with which fighter you're going to try this. I'd chose he Yak 9U (one of my favouriets)  and after I did 14 all planes went to fly HIGH. The same with Zeroes. So it has to be able to fly high and low. 

7) Choose a fighter with GREAT punch in order not to be stolen.

8) A LOT OF TIME to get all 1-4 points.

9) The endurance to support the frustation of being stolen repeatedly

10) YOU WIN WOWP how many certificates?

Personally, I don't remember when I did my last ACE, but I'm not a good player, plus I have an elevated ping that make it harder.

Also I think those requirements must be lowered.

PD:  I wrote something similar and a Tank Player working as CENSOR erased my post and gave me a warning, so don't miss me in the days to come.  :kamikaze:

Edited by El_Mulo, 25 February 2019 - 10:12 PM.

What we say to death?

Azis_ #11 Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2928 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View PostLeastWeasel, on 25 February 2019 - 01:07 PM, said:

Been doing it solo - while I had previously farmed a walmart ace or two easily with the 262 (while Marseilles hunting), it’s been hella elusive, since! The109z, I noticed, keeps falling juuuuust short of the firepower needed to blap 5 bombers in a single run. Might indeed be time to reach out for a wingman - the experiment’s been fun... but hoo boy, it’s been three days of effort!

Find me on, I got 3 days of premium to make use of and an XP-58 to assist :D

Cenotaph #12 Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3307 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Hard to pick a "goto" plane, since it's so situational...

F-94... 410... Sabre... J4M... lots of tools to get the job done

I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

easleyj1 #13 Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:49 AM

Master Sergeant

• 9260 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-
I would try my best t10 fighter in off prime times. U will get quite a few matches against nothing but bots . Good luck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users