Jump to content


Anyone else ever run into a kill-thief?

unfair play

  • Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

bradk62 #61 Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:26 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 5104 battles
  • 147
  • [GW__S] GW__S
  • Member since:
    08-03-2013

View PostCenotaph, on 26 February 2019 - 05:28 PM, said:

 

You are wrong...

 

Watch the video...

 

 

Missed the video.  I will review tonight but you are correct,  you can shoot your own teammates (or damage them, in my test case).

 

Flew my ar-68 and immediately got behind a teammate bot ar-68.  I unloaded on him for about 10 seconds before I could see his HP was down slightly.   Later in the battle I took several enemy fighters down from near full health in a only few seconds, but maybe the ranges weren't comparable.  I'll review my own video.

 

Feels like WG dialed-down the blue on blue damage in 2.x as I can't remember shooting a teammate down in 2.x whereas it was a fairly common occurrence in 1.x.  Maybe it is just not as obvious when it happens.

 

 

 

 

 



BB3_Oregon_Steel #62 Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:45 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1639 battles
  • 660
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    10-26-2015

View PostBobby_Tables, on 24 February 2019 - 08:06 PM, said:

This was also an issue in 1.X before the bots.  The consensus seemed to be:  If you kill a plane, good on you, it's one less plane to worry about.

 

In the respawn hell of 2.x, it's a bit different but not so much.  If you are over a cap and you kill a plane, doesn't matter if someone else chewed them to pieces.  If they didn't finish the job, then someone else will.  In my world, there is no such thing as a kill-thief.  There is only a kill-fail.  If you fail to kill your target, then someone else will.  

 

That person following you around might be trying to help you win.  There are exceptions to this rule, but in general, to me, if it's over a cap, it's fair game.  (Even if not over a cap, but sometimes I will make an exception when it doesn't matter as much).

 

I used to give other players the benefit of the doubt and peel off when they were peppering an enemy plane.  Too many times they died and that enemy plane came for me.  If I have a shot, I take it.  No questions asked, no apologies given.  I have seen far too many players chase a plane around and around, never getting the kill shot to waste my time letting them get the kill.  If I can kill the plane and it is over a cap, I take it.  I don't care what you think.  If you could have killed it, you would have killed it.  If you didn't then shame on you, I got it, now move on and kill another plane for Gods sake and stop playing with it like a cat with a captive mouse.  

 

Personally, I love it when someone kills the plane I have been chasing to get the kill.  It helps me move on and capture bases rather than turn and burn against some plane for ever and ever.  I do like dogfights, but if that enemy dies because of another player, it's all good.  There are plenty more planes to kill and if the storm has not yet hit, they will be back.  

 

I'm in agreement with this. 

 

The goal of the game is, or at least should be, does your team win the battle.  It doesn't matter who killed a plane, what matters is that it's dead.   I'll break away from a fight if I note that there is a good chance of colliding with a friendly plane or if the friendly plane will likely be hit if I fire.  Other than that I'm there to kill planes and defend/capture caps.  

 

But then again I'm sort of a team oriented girl.  If I was mostly into my own personal stats and accomplishments, I might think differently. 


"Don't mess with me because I can squish you like a bug, that is If I should decide to notice your existence in the first place".  

 

Yes, it's haughty and its arrogant but you're a battleship with 16 inch guns and Britannia Rules the Waves.  Maybe a bit of arrogance in this case is appropriate.  


trikke #63 Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:58 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 3904 battles
  • 3,801
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostBB3_Oregon_Steel, on 27 February 2019 - 08:45 PM, said:

But then again I'm sort of a team oriented girl.  If I was mostly into my own personal stats and accomplishments, I might think differently. 

 

i'm so old, so forgive me in advance

 

i think that i've heard of studies saying that women work somewhat much better in a team than men do

 

because, believe me... we're all about our individual stats and accomplishments, usually to the detriment of our pub teams

 

but we feel bad about that, at least


Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

White_Widow18 #64 Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:02 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 12665 battles
  • 2,575
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    10-08-2018
Sorry, but purposely using others' work to increase your personal gain isn't team work and wasting fire by vulturing means you literally wasted time you could have been shooting something else.. making you actually a detriment to your team.

White_Widow18 #65 Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:05 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 12665 battles
  • 2,575
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    10-08-2018
Been considering that a lot.. but it generally -does not- make sense to run a perfect tandem wing in this game unless you're -both- rather mediocre pilots. Same general area with crossover? Sure. That's flying basic cover of each other's butts... but matching move for move and just pegging off the same target? Makes you the same plane basically and wastes firepower that could have been applied elsewhere. My opinion and I've seen it borne out repeatedly when flying in a wing. If we focus too much on the same things it makes us lose time and again, full stop.

legoboy0401 #66 Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:05 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 1882 battles
  • 1,838
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    11-30-2013

View PostBB3_Oregon_Steel, on 27 February 2019 - 05:45 PM, said:

 

I'm in agreement with this. 

 

The goal of the game is, or at least should be, does your team win the battle.  It doesn't matter who killed a plane, what matters is that it's dead.   I'll break away from a fight if I note that there is a good chance of colliding with a friendly plane or if the friendly plane will likely be hit if I fire.  Other than that I'm there to kill planes and defend/capture caps.  

 

But then again I'm sort of a team oriented girl.  If I was mostly into my own personal stats and accomplishments, I might think differently. 

 

You are yet another female? Wow, WoWP must have the HIGHEST PERCENTAGE OF FEMALE PLAYERS of ANY WG title. who knew?

 

 


An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

 

#Failureisalwaysanoption

 

#Givingupneveris


legoboy0401 #67 Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:06 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 1882 battles
  • 1,838
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    11-30-2013

View PostWhite_Widow18, on 27 February 2019 - 06:02 PM, said:

Sorry, but purposely using others' work to increase your personal gain isn't team work and wasting fire by vulturing means you literally wasted time you could have been shooting something else.. making you actually a detriment to your team.

 

This is true.

 

edit: DARN IT, I'M OUT OF UPVOTES!


Edited by legoboy0401, 28 February 2019 - 02:06 AM.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

 

#Failureisalwaysanoption

 

#Givingupneveris


White_Widow18 #68 Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:57 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 12665 battles
  • 2,575
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    10-08-2018

View Postlegoboy0401, on 27 February 2019 - 08:05 PM, said:

 

You are yet another female? Wow, WoWP must have the HIGHEST PERCENTAGE OF FEMALE PLAYERS of ANY WG title. who knew?

 

 

 

We -do- have quite a few Women players who are publicly Women given the small community we have :) It's nice to be honest lol! :D

BB3_Oregon_Steel #69 Posted 28 February 2019 - 06:42 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1639 battles
  • 660
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    10-26-2015

View PostWhite_Widow18, on 27 February 2019 - 06:02 PM, said:

Sorry, but purposely using others' work to increase your personal gain isn't team work and wasting fire by vulturing means you literally wasted time you could have been shooting something else.. making you actually a detriment to your team.

 

Well there's a difference between engaging targets to kill them for your team as opposed to players who are trailing other players to kill their targets at the last moment.  That's a behavior that I haven't noticed before but it's quite possible I'm not good enough for someone to want to follow me around. :(

 

That being said, I think the term kill stealing has been made broader than that and in many peoples eyes includes anyone who shoots down a target that they have also been shooting at.    


"Don't mess with me because I can squish you like a bug, that is If I should decide to notice your existence in the first place".  

 

Yes, it's haughty and its arrogant but you're a battleship with 16 inch guns and Britannia Rules the Waves.  Maybe a bit of arrogance in this case is appropriate.  


legoboy0401 #70 Posted 28 February 2019 - 06:55 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 1882 battles
  • 1,838
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    11-30-2013

View PostBB3_Oregon_Steel, on 28 February 2019 - 10:42 AM, said:

 

Well there's a difference between engaging targets to kill them for your team as opposed to players who are trailing other players to kill their targets at the last moment.  That's a behavior that I haven't noticed before but it's quite possible I'm not good enough for someone to want to follow me around. :(

 

That being said, I think the term kill stealing has been made broader than that and in many peoples eyes includes anyone who shoots down a target that they have also been shooting at.    

 

Eh, technically, there is no such thing as a "kill-steal" only "kill-secure".

 

One less set of guns firing back at you is always a good thing, regardless of who takes them out.(even accidental ramming team kills on the opposing team are a benefit to your own)


An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

 

#Failureisalwaysanoption

 

#Givingupneveris


White_Widow18 #71 Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:49 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 12665 battles
  • 2,575
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    10-08-2018

View PostBB3_Oregon_Steel, on 28 February 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

 

Well there's a difference between engaging targets to kill them for your team as opposed to players who are trailing other players to kill their targets at the last moment.  That's a behavior that I haven't noticed before but it's quite possible I'm not good enough for someone to want to follow me around. :(

 

That being said, I think the term kill stealing has been made broader than that and in many peoples eyes includes anyone who shoots down a target that they have also been shooting at.    

 

Fair on people having that term mean something more broad than what I was aiming at here.

I've flown against you a few times, you're on my list of people I watch the minimap for their plane. Making that list means you're a threat greater than the bots and pretty good IMHO.

I've run into it twice total in my time on this game. Other games its a highly common "tactic" to inflate your tracked metrics. World of WarCraft many years ago had a problem with it and several first person shooter's I've played have suffered people doing it as well. It's a novel/infrequent thing for me to experience it in this game which is -why- (counterintuitive seeming perhaps) I started the thread, because it caught me THAT off guard.

Johnny_Wishbone #72 Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:54 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 505 battles
  • 267
  • Member since:
    07-02-2013
Literally nobody does this. It is not a thing that matters. You get credit for both kills and damage.

BB3_Oregon_Steel #73 Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:19 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1639 battles
  • 660
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    10-26-2015

View PostWhite_Widow18, on 28 February 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

I've flown against you a few times, you're on my list of people I watch the minimap for their plane. Making that list means you're a threat greater than the bots and pretty good IMHO.

 

That is one of the nicest things anyone's said to me while I've been here.  I am, however, still totally a low tier noobgirl but my ego is now much inflated!!!

 

Bi-plane fighters AWAY!!!  :playing:


Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel, 04 March 2019 - 12:24 AM.

"Don't mess with me because I can squish you like a bug, that is If I should decide to notice your existence in the first place".  

 

Yes, it's haughty and its arrogant but you're a battleship with 16 inch guns and Britannia Rules the Waves.  Maybe a bit of arrogance in this case is appropriate.  


Captain_Underpants53 #74 Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:37 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 26613 battles
  • 3,904
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    04-17-2017

View PostBB3_Oregon_Steel, on 03 March 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

 

That is one of the nicest things anyone's said to me while I've been here.  I am, however, still totally a low tier noobgirl but my ego is now much inflated!!!

 

Bi-plane fighters AWAY!!!  :playing:

 

Watch out!  Pretty soon none of your hats will fit anymore, a problem I am well aquainted with!       :rolleyes:
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

White_Widow18 #75 Posted 04 March 2019 - 02:14 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 12665 battles
  • 2,575
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    10-08-2018

View PostBB3_Oregon_Steel, on 03 March 2019 - 06:19 PM, said:

 

That is one of the nicest things anyone's said to me while I've been here.  I am, however, still totally a low tier noobgirl but my ego is now much inflated!!!

 

Bi-plane fighters AWAY!!!  :playing:

Just the truth, my judgement of a player is based on whether they do better than the terminator/best bot on their team. The times I've flown against you, you always have. Anything better than the bots considering the # of times I've seen entire teams get out-scored by their own bots is good in my book!
 

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 03 March 2019 - 07:37 PM, said:

 

Watch out!  Pretty soon none of your hats will fit anymore, a problem I am well aquainted with!       :rolleyes:

 

I've found that if you find the biggest posterior end in the game and stretch it out a bit, you can wear it as a hat. There's lots of those posteriors you can wear as a hat in a war game =D



Captain_Underpants53 #76 Posted 04 March 2019 - 04:11 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 26613 battles
  • 3,904
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    04-17-2017

View PostWhite_Widow18, on 03 March 2019 - 09:14 PM, said:

Just the truth, my judgement of a player is based on whether they do better than the terminator/best bot on their team. The times I've flown against you, you always have. Anything better than the bots considering the # of times I've seen entire teams get out-scored by their own bots is good in my book!
 

 

I've found that if you find the biggest posterior end in the game and stretch it out a bit, you can wear it as a hat. There's lots of those posteriors you can wear as a hat in a war game =D

 

LOL

 

:medal:


MSgt, USAF, (ret)





Also tagged with unfair play

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users