Jump to content


The Official Thread: What in your opinion is the worst and/or most awful plane in the game to play a...


  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

legoboy0401 #1 Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:48 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 1081 battles
  • 1,335
  • [BSSF] BSSF
  • Member since:
    11-30-2013

Title.

 

Discuss what in your opinion is the worst and/or the most awful plane in the game to play and why.


Edited by legoboy0401, 08 February 2019 - 10:52 PM.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

 

#Failureisalwaysanoption

 

#Givingupneveris


Captain_Rownd #2 Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:36 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1336 battles
  • 539
  • Member since:
    09-28-2015

"most hated" because it's "worst", or "most hated" because it's too good when the enemy flies it?

 


Specialist: SPAD S.510, P-40, MiG-3, A6M1, XP-44, Fw 190 A-5, Me 209 V4, Venom

legoboy0401 #3 Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:39 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 1081 battles
  • 1,335
  • [BSSF] BSSF
  • Member since:
    11-30-2013

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 08 February 2019 - 02:36 PM, said:

"most hated" because it's "worst", or "most hated" because it's too good when the enemy flies it?

 

 

Most hated because it's awful or because, for example, it might not seem to have a role/do said WG-intended role very well.

 

This is not an "I hate to see this plane on the enemy team! Plz nerf!" thread.


Edited by legoboy0401, 08 February 2019 - 10:40 PM.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

 

#Failureisalwaysanoption

 

#Givingupneveris


Captain_Rownd #4 Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:35 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1336 battles
  • 539
  • Member since:
    09-28-2015

Fw 190 A-1 was a particularly bad experience, but perhaps User Error could account for a lot of it...

 

Ki-43-II overheating guns caused me much anguish. 

 


Specialist: SPAD S.510, P-40, MiG-3, A6M1, XP-44, Fw 190 A-5, Me 209 V4, Venom

hoom #5 Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:05 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 5789 battles
  • 1,099
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

Possibly Su-9.

In T8 you got a pretty slow, brick of a plane with low altitude, gun hits hard but its relatively much less powerful due to the higher tier.

 

Ar-2 & B-17D share the twin affliction of not being fast or high enough to get clear of Heavies and having useless guns that can't even fire at an enemy sitting on their tail.


C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Captain_Rownd #6 Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:42 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1336 battles
  • 539
  • Member since:
    09-28-2015

View Posthoom, on 09 February 2019 - 12:05 AM, said:

 

Ar-2 & B-17D share the twin affliction of not being fast or high enough to get clear of Heavies and having useless guns that can't even fire at an enemy sitting on their tail.

 

My Ar-2 doesn't come under attack too often unless I linger too long over a cap.  There aren't a lot of planes that are going to climb up after you at those Tiers.  I'm more afraid of the AA

 

 


Specialist: SPAD S.510, P-40, MiG-3, A6M1, XP-44, Fw 190 A-5, Me 209 V4, Venom

CorvusCorvax #7 Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:28 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 2806 battles
  • 2,937
  • [JG52] JG52
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
The Bf-109Z was that plane for me.  That or the F7F.

SpiritFoxMY #8 Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:42 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 3820 battles
  • 2,293
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    12-31-2012

There were a few terrible planes that came to mind but my single worst experience has to come from the Focke Wulf Fw252 tier X light fighter.

 

Oh boy, where do we start? The 252 is just a blend of "not good enough" and "this is [edited]". Let's start by saying that the plane doesn't have a lot of speed. It has a maximum boost speed of 1000kph which is average for its tier and a dive speed of 1100kph which is better than most but again cannot get it out of trouble. Its 10s boost is again more than some but insufficient to outlast its primary predators - the MiG15bis and Sabre.

 

Then you look at its time to turn of 12.3s - worse than any light fighter and on par with Multiroles - and its twin 30mm revolvers - which are shorter ranged than the ADENs on the British tier Xs while having similarly atrocious gun handling - and then consider that uts maximum altitude of 2500m is 300m lower than the MiG and Sabre and you have a plane with no conceivable advantages with a whole range of glaring disadvantages. Its only notable advantage is its absurd rate of roll but even this is negated by its 12.3s turn time.

 

The sad truth about this plane is everything it can do, the Swift can do better. The Swift is faster (being the fastest tier X light fighter), turns better (10.8s turn time) and has similar firepower and identical altitude. The 252 cannot outrun the planes that outturn it and cannot outturn the planes that outrun it. Its guns are stupidly erratic and overheat in a flash while being 100m shorter ranged than the Swift's already notoriously erratic ADENs.

 

I have flown this plane four times, struggled to even do 4000points in all four matchs and been shot down more often per battle than almost any other airplane. And it's a tier X. It's not some bump in the road, it's the end of the road in one of the most useless light fighters in the game. 


***

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end


LeastWeasel #9 Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:49 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 2132 battles
  • 271
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
Ju - 88 P. By the time I got the hang of it, I was DONE WITH IT. The Stuka gets a bit of the blame, too...

Me-265, though? Hells yeah. First groundpounder I’ve legitmately loved.

qu33kKC #10 Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:25 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 5477 battles
  • 187
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    10-14-2017

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 08 February 2019 - 11:35 PM, said:

Fw 190 A-1 was a particularly bad experience, but perhaps User Error could account for a lot of it...

 

 

nah, that bird is a struggle for anyone.  Incredibly limited flight envelope, lack of turning, lack of firepower.  At least the A-5 was decent once you got the second set of guns.

SpiritFoxMY #11 Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:12 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 3820 battles
  • 2,293
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    12-31-2012

View Postqu33kKC, on 09 February 2019 - 10:25 PM, said:

 

nah, that bird is a struggle for anyone.  Incredibly limited flight envelope, lack of turning, lack of firepower.  At least the A-5 was decent once you got the second set of guns.

 

I think it's decent. As long as there isn't a Specialist Lightning on the other team it works fine 

***

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end


hoom #12 Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:25 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 5789 battles
  • 1,099
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

Block Quote

 There aren't a lot of planes that are going to climb up after you at those Tiers.

 How high do you take it? I like to stay just under max optimum for max speed, I'm not convinced going higher gets you clear of the Heavies it can see.


C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Captain_Rownd #13 Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:32 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1336 battles
  • 539
  • Member since:
    09-28-2015

View Posthoom, on 09 February 2019 - 09:25 PM, said:

 How high do you take it? I like to stay just under max optimum for max speed, I'm not convinced going higher gets you clear of the Heavies it can see.

 

2100m to start.  Higher if I get attacked.  The next Tier up I start out at 2500m.  The higher you go the longer it takes them to get to you, and the more likely you'll boost away and make them run out of energy.  At the middle to higher Tiers there might be a practical limit?   I'm not sure if it's worth taking bombers over 2800 until after Squall Line.  There's a lot of stuff that can climb strongly at the upper Tiers. 


Edited by Captain_Rownd, 10 February 2019 - 04:46 AM.

Specialist: SPAD S.510, P-40, MiG-3, A6M1, XP-44, Fw 190 A-5, Me 209 V4, Venom

legoboy0401 #14 Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:33 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 1081 battles
  • 1,335
  • [BSSF] BSSF
  • Member since:
    11-30-2013

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 08 February 2019 - 10:42 PM, said:

There were a few terrible planes that came to mind but my single worst experience has to come from the Focke Wulf Fw252 tier X light fighter.

 

Oh boy, where do we start? The 252 is just a blend of "not good enough" and "this is [edited]". Let's start by saying that the plane doesn't have a lot of speed. It has a maximum boost speed of 1000kph which is average for its tier and a dive speed of 1100kph which is better than most but again cannot get it out of trouble. Its 10s boost is again more than some but insufficient to outlast its primary predators - the MiG15bis and Sabre.

 

Then you look at its time to turn of 12.3s - worse than any light fighter and on par with Multiroles - and its twin 30mm revolvers - which are shorter ranged than the ADENs on the British tier Xs while having similarly atrocious gun handling - and then consider that uts maximum altitude of 2500m is 300m lower than the MiG and Sabre and you have a plane with no conceivable advantages with a whole range of glaring disadvantages. Its only notable advantage is its absurd rate of roll but even this is negated by its 12.3s turn time.

 

The sad truth about this plane is everything it can do, the Swift can do better. The Swift is faster (being the fastest tier X light fighter), turns better (10.8s turn time) and has similar firepower and identical altitude. The 252 cannot outrun the planes that outturn it and cannot outturn the planes that outrun it. Its guns are stupidly erratic and overheat in a flash while being 100m shorter ranged than the Swift's already notoriously erratic ADENs.

 

I have flown this plane four times, struggled to even do 4000points in all four matchs and been shot down more often per battle than almost any other airplane. And it's a tier X. It's not some bump in the road, it's the end of the road in one of the most useless light fighters in the game. 

 

...and this kind of information is exactly why I made this thread. To make me aware of any serious dogs of planes before I encounter their doginess myself the hard way.


An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

 

#Failureisalwaysanoption

 

#Givingupneveris


legoboy0401 #15 Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:53 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 1081 battles
  • 1,335
  • [BSSF] BSSF
  • Member since:
    11-30-2013

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 08 February 2019 - 10:28 PM, said:

The Bf-109Z was that plane for me.  That or the F7F.

 

What's so bad about the F7F? Tell me, I simply MUST know.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

 

#Failureisalwaysanoption

 

#Givingupneveris


jack_wdw #16 Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:08 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1816 battles
  • 527
  • Member since:
    09-28-2012

j8m - pretty useless since 2.0

 



GonerNL #17 Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:42 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 875 battles
  • 967
  • Member since:
    01-17-2018

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 10 February 2019 - 01:32 AM, said:

2100m to start.  Higher if I get attacked.  

 

Bf-110 and 109 get there without problems ... to the surprise of some bomber pilots. I even got accused of cheating.
Flying on NA and EU servers

Captain_Rownd #18 Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:09 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1336 battles
  • 539
  • Member since:
    09-28-2015

View PostGonerNL, on 11 February 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

 

Bf-110 and 109 get there without problems ... to the surprise of some bomber pilots. I even got accused of cheating.

 

Sure, I chase bombers in everything too, but it's usually adequate and however high I go there's always something that can get up there if it wants to.

 


Specialist: SPAD S.510, P-40, MiG-3, A6M1, XP-44, Fw 190 A-5, Me 209 V4, Venom

CorvusCorvax #19 Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:24 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 2806 battles
  • 2,937
  • [JG52] JG52
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Postlegoboy0401, on 11 February 2019 - 06:53 AM, said:

 

What's so bad about the F7F? Tell me, I simply MUST know.

I found the guns, especially their range, to be an utter disappointment.  Playing it, compared to the P-38J and the XF5U, was pure frustration.  Oddly, the Bf -109Z made me feel almost the exact same way, for the same reason. Love the Me-410 and the Me-262, hate the 109Z.



legoboy0401 #20 Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:51 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 1081 battles
  • 1,335
  • [BSSF] BSSF
  • Member since:
    11-30-2013

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 11 February 2019 - 12:24 PM, said:

I found the guns, especially their range, to be an utter disappointment.  Playing it, compared to the P-38J and the XF5U, was pure frustration.  Oddly, the Bf -109Z made me feel almost the exact same way, for the same reason. Love the Me-410 and the Me-262, hate the 109Z.

 

Then you must HATE the P-51s.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

 

#Failureisalwaysanoption

 

#Givingupneveris





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users