What is the best non-Heavy Fighter line for learning the basics of Boom & Zoom playstyles?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: The Best Non-Heavy Fighter Line for learning the basics of B&Z playstyles (13 members have cast votes)

What is the Best Non-Heavy Fighter Line for learning the basics of B&Z playstyles

1. Mustangs (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Thunderbolts (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Bf 109s (9 votes [69.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

4. Corsairs (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Other(explain) (4 votes [30.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

legoboy0401 #1 Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1506 battles
  • [FK] FK

Title

Is it a line like the Mustangs?

The Thunderbolts?

Bf 109s?

or Corsairs?

I know one thing for sure though, that the Fw 190s might just be the WORST line for B&Z beginners.

I thank you in advance for your feedback in my poll.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

HoujuuNue #2 Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:55 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7951 battles
  • [PZMOE] PZMOE
Fw 190 > Corsair > Thunderbolt > BF 109 > Mustang

Edited by HoujuuNue, 06 February 2019 - 10:58 PM.

legoboy0401 #3 Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1506 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostHoujuuNue, on 06 February 2019 - 02:55 PM, said:

Fw 190 > Corsair

not for B&Z beginners like myself.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

mnbv_fockewulfe #4 Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:24 PM

Captain

• 597 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostHoujuuNue, on 06 February 2019 - 10:55 PM, said:

Fw 190 > Corsair > Thunderbolt > BF 109 > Mustang

Bf109 and the Bf 110 are the best for beginners.

With solid planes in T4 and T5, they are strong for their tier when played right, and will punish you enough when played wrong.

I suggest the Bf 110B/E if you're interested in hardcore BnZ, and the Bf109B/E if you are more interested in an energy fighting style.

The corsair is fairly strong as well, but the play style of the wildcat and the corsair varies too much.

Edited by mnbv_fockewulfe, 06 February 2019 - 11:26 PM.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

Captain_Underpants53 #5 Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:24 PM

First Lieutenant

• 20874 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

LOL, I was going to say the Fw 190s but when I think about it, I ain't qualified.  However, of all the planes you mention, disregarding heavies, the Fw 190s shoot down my bomber more than the others.

:hiding:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

mnbv_fockewulfe #6 Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:26 PM

Captain

• 597 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
The Fw 190 is a strong BnZ plane, but it's the hardest skillwise to learn/use.

legoboy0401 #7 Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1506 battles
  • [FK] FK

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 06 February 2019 - 03:24 PM, said:

With solid planes in T4 and T5, they are strong for their tier when played right, and will punish you enough when played wrong.

I suggest the Bf 110B/E if you're interested in hardcore BnZ, and the Bf109B/E if you are more interested in an energy fighting style.

The corsair is fairly strong as well, but the play style of the wildcat and the corsair varies too much.

I own both the Bf 109 and 110 B at the moment.

I was asking if there were any other Boom&Zoom trainers that aren't Heavy Fighters or Bf- 109s(some less than great grinds after Tier V, and VII is an awful grind).

Edited by legoboy0401, 06 February 2019 - 11:30 PM.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

legoboy0401 #8 Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1506 battles
  • [FK] FK

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 06 February 2019 - 03:24 PM, said:

Oh, I see. What is your opinion on the Mustangs?

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

mnbv_fockewulfe #9 Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:33 PM

Captain

• 597 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

The F4U-1 is fairly decent for T6. Durable and good guns, it lacks altitude performance of vertical BnZ planes, which is why I wouldn't recommend for learning BnZ.

The F4U-4 used to be really dog, with the F2G being worse, however now from what I understand the ordnance is what makes it worth it at T7 and T8.

Mustangs are more energy fighting style, they lack the high firepower for quick kills which is what BnZ is all about.

Edited by mnbv_fockewulfe, 06 February 2019 - 11:35 PM.

Stygian_Alchemist #10 Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 9327 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
I'm going to throw a weird -plane- out...

ME 209 V4.

The guns are underpowered, admittedly.. but if you can figure out the mechanics behind the stick of this plane.. the rest are simplistic. The advantage you have is you can literally outrun everything your level and the guns are pinpoint accurate. Once you get good at sticking the line of fire on something you -can- kill a lot of things in one or two swipes at it.. but it is definitely a plane that's "easy to get a mediocre score" but difficult to master and the skills from it transfer to all BnZ. 

Now.. for researchable lines.. I mean honestly I'm going with the BF109s. Basically.. German still lol!

mnbv_fockewulfe #11 Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:01 AM

Captain

• 597 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
P-38F is a good alternative to the bf110

SpiritFoxMY #12 Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:17 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4552 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

The 190s are not newbie friendly at all, especially if you've already built up an idea of how to BnZ. They play very differently from a traditional vertical BnZ and they are very unforgiving of mistakes.

Mustangs are hybrid fighters with superb vertical characteristics. But with the exception of the British Premium IA, their firepower has very little Alpha for quick kills. 

My recommendations for a second line of vertical energy fighters is the MiG line. Apart from a terrible tier 6 and a lacklustre tier 8, the Migs are solid vertical fighters. 

As mnbv said, the other line you could try is the German Heavy line. But the Me262 is a HUGE roadblock. 

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

CorvusCorvax #13 Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:25 AM

Captain

• 3703 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 07 February 2019 - 01:17 AM, said:

Until you learn how to play it.  Then it KILLS everything.  Lately, it has been giving my Do-335 a serious run for my T8 playing time.

As a BnZ aircraft, it is close to the ultimate expression.  The J8M, I think, *is* the ultimate expression.  But fly close, blast with big guns, fly off.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  As a reward, you get to fly the 262 HGII.  A whole new level of German HF fun.  And after that, the 262 HGIII.

Oh.

Em.

Gee.

Edited by CorvusCorvax, 07 February 2019 - 01:28 AM.

legoboy0401 #14 Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1506 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostWhite_Widow18, on 06 February 2019 - 04:18 PM, said:

ME 209 V4.

The guns are underpowered, admittedly.. but if you can figure out the mechanics behind the stick of this plane.. the rest are simplistic. The advantage you have is you can literally outrun everything your level and the guns are pinpoint accurate. Once you get good at sticking the line of fire on something you -can- kill a lot of things in one or two swipes at it.. but it is definitely a plane that's "easy to get a mediocre score" but difficult to master and the skills from it transfer to all BnZ. 

Now.. for researchable lines.. I mean honestly I'm going with the BF109s. Basically.. German still lol!

Own the Me 209 V4. Love the thing, wish it had better guns, though. It feels somewhat like a Tier V J8M in playstyle, though with somewhat worse tier for tier weapons. With that said, though, even the J8M's two 30s aren't very good because of how little time it actually has to aim and fire at a target before it zips past said target, and only a HUGE single shot damage buff could ever possibly make up for that, which isn't coming.

Same can be said for the Me 209 V4. only ever so much more so,

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

legoboy0401 #15 Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1506 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 06 February 2019 - 05:25 PM, said:

Until you learn how to play it.  Then it KILLS everything.  Lately, it has been giving my Do-335 a serious run for my T8 playing time.

As a BnZ aircraft, it is close to the ultimate expression.  The J8M, I think, *is* the ultimate expression.  But fly close, blast with big guns, fly off.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  As a reward, you get to fly the 262 HGII.  A whole new level of German HF fun.  And after that, the 262 HGIII.

Oh.

Em.

Gee.

"I ain't afraid of no Me 262!"

I can't wait, actually. Besides, the fully-upgraded Bf 109 Z a tier lower has almost identical(if not actually identical, which it might be but I don't remember) armament, and the grind to the 262 should provide plenty of opportunities to practice aiming with quad 30s.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

legoboy0401 #16 Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1506 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostWhite_Widow18, on 06 February 2019 - 04:18 PM, said:

ME 209 V4.

What would you say to a Me 209 V4 build with Raptor Strike on its pilot?

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

SpiritFoxMY #17 Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:27 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4552 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postlegoboy0401, on 07 February 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

"I ain't afraid of no Me 262!"

I can't wait, actually. Besides, the fully-upgraded Bf 109 Z a tier lower has almost identical(if not actually identical, which it might be but I don't remember) armament, and the grind to the 262 should provide plenty of opportunities to practice aiming with quad 30s.

I thought the same. The problem is the 262 is even less maneuverability than the Zwilling but carries twice the speed. The 262s guns are more tightly grouped so its both easier and harder to hit with them since they don't scatter so much so they're more consistent in their ballistics but they also don't benefit from the shotgun effect.

Think of it as a slower accelerating J8M with lower roll. It cannot slow down or its in trouble because it cannot accelerate out of a fight. I've found it ridiculously challenging to fly and carry in. I enjoyed all the German Heavies up to that point, even the Zwilling, but the 262 defeated me. I only fly it when flighted with Rei because I have to rely on someone else to carry

SpiritFoxMY #18 Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:28 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4552 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postlegoboy0401, on 07 February 2019 - 09:44 AM, said:

What would you say to a Me 209 V4 build with Raptor Strike on its pilot?

Not worth it IMO. Your guns are too light to benefit seriously from the bonus to crit. I would recommend spending the points on ADE and EG1 and 2

DrSinister #19 Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:41 AM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 121 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Technically any plane can Boom and Zoom, you just have to know what plane you are going up against and determine if you should be BnZing or turn fight them.

legoboy0401 #20 Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1506 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostDrSinister, on 06 February 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

Technically any plane can Boom and Zoom, you just have to know what plane you are going up against and determine if you should be BnZing or turn fight them.

I know, I just want an introduction to it, is all. With that said, there are certain turnfighters too slow to ever boom&zoom anything except maybe a isolated GAA with no rear gunner that isn't paying attention.(Zeroes, anyone?)

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users