As an an avid Bomber player, do you know what I hate? I hate Rocket Bases, the ground-target gobblin...

gameplay ruining

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Bombers on 3-cap maps that have two rocket bases (12 members have cast votes)

3-cap maps with rocket bases for two of said caps: should Carpet-Bombers see this configuration of map?

1. yes(explain) (9 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. no (1 vote [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

3. I haven't seen this configuration of map very much/at all, so I don't know (2 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3-cap maps with rocket bases for two of said caps: should Medium Bombers see this configuration of map

1. yes(explain) (10 votes [83.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. no (2 votes [16.67%] - View)

3. I haven't seen this configuration of map very much/at all, so I don't know (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3-cap maps with rocket bases for two of said caps: do you like these map configurations in a bomber?

1. yes(explain) (10 votes [83.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. no (2 votes [16.67%] - View)

3. I haven't seen this configuration of map very much/at all, so I don't know (0 votes [0.00%])

3-cap maps with rocket bases for two of said caps: do you like this configuration of map in any type that is not a bomber

1. yes (9 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. no (3 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

If you answered "yes" to question 4, what non-bomber aircraft type do you like to see this configuration of map in?

1. Fighter (1 vote [8.33%] - View)

2. Multi-Role Fighter (1 vote [8.33%] - View)

3. Heavy Fighter (4 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Ground Attack Aircraft(GAA) (2 votes [16.67%] - View)

5. I didn't answer yes to question 4 (4 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

legoboy0401 #1 Posted 05 February 2019 - 05:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1767 battles

I'm serious here. I just had a match in my B-17D where I was wholly unable to get a single combat point of my own merit thanks to the fact that by the time I had gotten my B-17D up to altitude(3,000 feet, any lower and I'm toast, the only semi-reliable defense for the B-17D is extreme altitude) my team had already capped one rocket base, and than shortly after they capped the other, and then the two rocket base captured the only other cap in the match(a airfield, and it was a 3-cap map) and for a very long time we had superiority. About 20 or 30 points to go, and the enemy got that back. "Good, I thought. Now I can get a ground target or two." Boy was I wrong. THAT CAP WAS FLIPPED IN ABOUT 14(edit: sorry, it's actually 20) SECONDS, AND IN TWO SALVOS FROM EACH ROCKET BASE, WITH A SPAN OF 7(edit: sorry, it's actually 10) SECONDS, TWO TARGETS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MINE DESTROYED, 7 10 SECONDS LATER, TWO TARGETS YET AGAIN THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MINE DESTROYED, AND WE CAPPED THAT AIRFIELD AND WE WON.

:angry:

FILTHY KILL-STEALING BASES.

I understand these on a 5-cap map, BUT 3? Oh COME ON! TWO FIRING AT THE SAME TARGET WHEN THERE IS ONLY ONE TARGET OTHER THAN THEM NEGATES THE NEED FOR A BOMBER AT ALL. IF THEY WANT TO KEEP THIS EXACT MAP SET-UP IN THE GAME(I can't imagine them wanting to, though) PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE keep bombers out of it.

That was a horrendously frustrating match, and I don't want to ever encounter such an instance again.

Worse yet, they mess up the plotted target run of a Carpet-Bomber, which might not be so bad for the U.S.A.A.F. Alderaan-Obliterator(the B-32, who can cap an entire Mining Plant with just one of it's twin HUGE 20-bomb sticks) who is entirely capable of getting 5 or 6 in one run, but for the B-17s? The B-17D can at best do two, ON VERY RARE OCCASIONS 3, while the B-17G, as far as I've heard, can at best do 3, ON VERY RARE OCCASIONS 4 OR 5(super tight placement of targets), so it messes up most, sometimes even all, of a B-17D's ground target haul, and a not-insignificant amount of a B-17G's ground target haul.

What do you guys think? Should Carpet-Bombers at the very least, perhaps even Medium Bombers, lose the ability to see 3 cap maps that have two out of said three caps as Rocket Bases? Or should they stay?

Please answer my questions for you guys in the provided poll, but I would love comments, especially detailed comments, too.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Edited by legoboy0401, 05 February 2019 - 06:02 AM.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

Stygian_Alchemist #2 Posted 05 February 2019 - 05:55 AM

First Lieutenant

• 11416 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Postlegoboy0401, on 04 February 2019 - 11:16 PM, said:

I'm serious here. I just had a match in my B-17D where I was wholly unable to get a single combat point of my own merit thanks to the fact that by the time I had gotten my B-17D up to altitude(3,000 feet, any lower and I'm toast, the only semi-reliable defense for the B-17D is extreme altitude) my team had already capped one rocket base, and than shortly after they capped the other, and then the two rocket base captured the only other cap in the match(a airfield, and it was a 3-cap map) and for a very long time we had superiority. About 20 or 30 points to go, and the enemy got that back. "Good, I thought. Now I can get a ground target or two." Boy was I wrong. THAT CAP WAS FLIPPED IN ABOUT 14 SECONDS, AND IN TWO SALVOS FROM EACH ROCKET BASE, WITH A SPAN OF 7 SECONDS, TWO TARGETS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MINE DESTROYED, 7 SECONDS LATER, TWO TARGETS YET AGAIN THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MINE DESTROYED, AND WE CAPPED THAT AIRFIELD AND WE WON.

:angry:

FILTHY KILL-STEALING BASES.

I understand these on a 5-cap map, BUT 3? Oh COME ON! TWO FIRING AT THE SAME TARGET WHEN THERE IS ONLY ONE TARGET OTHER THAN THEM NEGATES THE NEED FOR A BOMBER AT ALL. IF THEY WANT TO KEEP THIS EXACT MAP SET-UP IN THE GAME(I can't imagine them wanting to, though) PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE keep bombers out of it.

That was a horrendously frustrating match, and I don't want to ever encounter such an instance again.

Worse yet, they mess up the plotted target run of a Carpet-Bomber, which might not be so bad for the U.S.A.A.F. Alderaan-Obliterator(the B-32, who can cap an entire Mining Plant with just one of it's twin HUGE 20-bomb sticks) who is entirely capable of getting 5 or 6 in one run, but for the B-17s? The B-17D can at best do two, ON VERY RARE OCCASIONS 3, while the B-17G, as far as I've heard, can at best do 3, ON VERY RARE OCCASIONS 4 OR 5(super tight placement of targets), so it messes up most, sometimes even all, of a B-17D's ground target haul, and a not-insignificant amount of a B-17G's ground target haul.

What do you guys think? Should Carpet-Bombers at the very least, perhaps even Medium Bombers, lose the ability to see 3 cap maps that have two out of said three caps as Rocket Bases? Or should they stay?

Please answer my questions for you guys in the provided poll, but I would love comments, especially detailed comments, too.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

It's not just bombers.. GAA also suffers from these missile bases. I appreciate we get a "Warning" but often times that's not long enough to wipe it out and in bombers.. depending on height... means the bombs won't hit the ground in time even if you dropped before the warning or right -at- the warning.

I dunno why they don't make it not remove a ground target and just do "damage" to the node capture points as it were.. gotta be some way to code that without taking the buildings off the map.

Edited to Add: I don't wanna see those maps removed from my rotations, just want the problem of them being kill stealing weasels removed.

Edited by White_Widow18, 05 February 2019 - 05:55 AM.

legoboy0401 #3 Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1767 battles

View PostWhite_Widow18, on 04 February 2019 - 09:55 PM, said:

It's not just bombers.. GAA also suffers from these missile bases. I appreciate we get a "Warning" but often times that's not long enough to wipe it out and in bombers.. depending on height... means the bombs won't hit the ground in time even if you dropped before the warning or right -at- the warning.

I dunno why they don't make it not remove a ground target and just do "damage" to the node capture points as it were.. gotta be some way to code that without taking the buildings off the map.

Edited to Add: I don't wanna see those maps removed from my rotations, just want the problem of them being kill stealing weasels removed.

I would love if they would do that instead. Give this man a medal for his genius!:medal:

The more pressing issue, to me though, is that they mess up carpet-bombers' very slowly, complicatedly planned and coordinated bomb runs. What do you think on that one?

Edited by legoboy0401, 05 February 2019 - 06:05 AM.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

Stygian_Alchemist #4 Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:15 AM

First Lieutenant

• 11416 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Postlegoboy0401, on 05 February 2019 - 12:03 AM, said:

I would love if they would do that instead. Give this man a medal for his genius!:medal:

The more pressing issue, to me though, is that they mess up carpet-bombers' very slowly, complicatedly planned and coordinated bomb runs. What do you think on that one?

Lady ;) :) (I know.. we're like Unicorns in this game or something I swear)

Still and all though I actually get it entirely. The B-32 I have probably close to 60 hours of flight time in.... Let us say that my hate for the rocket bases is surpassed -only- by the fact that the AI GAA can't be smart enough to account for the overflying bomber and go off to the left or right of my path a little bit. I know, I know.. asking for advanced bot programming is never going to happen. Still though, maybe they could at least do something about the rocket bases being kill thieves in unintended ways.

LMG #5 Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

I personally hate 3-sector maps in general :bajan:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

SpiritFoxMY #6 Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:31 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4917 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
I hate three sector maps. As for MBs...I just go somewhere else once I know what the MB is shooting at

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Captain_Underpants53 #7 Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:41 AM

Captain

• 24137 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

I like all maps with rocket bases.  Remember that the two Military Bases can't rocket each other so hustle on over and cap it, then hustle back and cap another.  I have seen these go from one side to the other many times in battle. It makes for fun bombing contests.

:playing:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

TankNoob1960 #8 Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:23 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 7429 battles

The most frustrating thing is dumping half a load (20 bombs) from my B32 just as our team or the red team caps it...

If I see the reds cap it, I plot my run to coincide with the timer running out and their AA guns becoming active. (usually 10-14 seconds)

But I got my first LANG (15 ground targets) tonight.

Good Luck,

Gunny

Edited by TankNoob1960, 05 February 2019 - 09:23 AM.

hoom #9 Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:38 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10208 battles

I only wish my team would more often get both missile bases, normally its a big slog trying to do it.

Sure missile bases are KS biatches & Bombers get left with nothing to do when you get superiority but its still a win, worst comes to worst you get back to Hangar sooner -> back out to a new battle.

For the B-17D specifically I hang about 2000-2100m ie just below max Optimum altitude.

You reach altitude much quicker and with the better speed I do manage to hit 3 targets fairly often depending on the base layout.

The dead-zones on the guns are soooo frigging annoying though, it may be the first plane (other than T2/3) that I skip a lot of the grind on.

Edited by hoom, 05 February 2019 - 09:39 AM.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Jazz_4 #10 Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:10 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1529 battles
  • [PWOOD] PWOOD
my only problem with bombers the turrets on them are week against fighters and heavies and multi roles. But that's just me

Captain_Underpants53 #11 Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:28 AM

Captain

• 24137 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Posthoom, on 05 February 2019 - 04:38 AM, said:

I only wish my team would more often get both missile bases, normally its a big slog trying to do it.

Sure missile bases are KS biatches & Bombers get left with nothing to do when you get superiority but its still a win, worst comes to worst you get back to Hangar sooner -> back out to a new battle.

For the B-17D specifically I hang about 2000-2100m ie just below max Optimum altitude.

You reach altitude much quicker and with the better speed I do manage to hit 3 targets fairly often depending on the base layout.

The dead-zones on the guns are soooo frigging annoying though, it may be the first plane (other than T2/3) that I skip a lot of the grind on.

I don't fly mine all that often because of those crazy blindspots.  They over did it.

:medal:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Captain_Underpants53 #12 Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:34 AM

Captain

• 24137 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostJazz_4, on 05 February 2019 - 06:10 AM, said:

my only problem with bombers the turrets on them are week against fighters and heavies and multi roles. But that's just me

Feed your gunners raw meat (and skill points).  The B-17G, B-32, SR-17, and A-26B  all have rear gunners well worth developing.  Also keep the gunners in a kennel and hose them down with cold water prior to every flight.

:great:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

BetoRS #13 Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:54 AM

Senior Airman

• 10422 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostLMG, on 05 February 2019 - 06:46 AM, said:

I personally hate 3-sector maps in general :bajan:

Same with me...

GonerNL #14 Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1111 battles

Agreed.

Especially the Pacific map, where you just fly and fly and fly ... and then die. And fly, fly again. 

Flying on EU, NA, ASIA and CIS servers

trikke #15 Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:55 PM

Captain

• 3626 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i'm shocked that nobody but me chose 'heavy fighter' as the best plane for a 3 cap map

shocked, i tell ya!

no other plane can cover all three caps (almost) simultaneously 

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

hoom #16 Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:03 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10208 battles

Block Quote

Especially the Pacific map, where you just fly and fly and fly ... and then die. And fly, fly again. 

That map needs to be removed from T3 rotation but I think its ok in T4+ (maybe T5+)

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

legoboy0401 #17 Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1767 battles

View Posthoom, on 05 February 2019 - 06:03 AM, said:

That map needs to be removed from T3 rotation but I think its ok in T4+ (maybe T5+)

Speaking of map removal, Cold Peak(I think it is) just needs to get removed period, or at least to get removed, reworked(lower the altitude and the map size a bit) and then put back in rotation. The size isn't great for bombers, but the egregious issue really is that it's simply too big and too high for the majority of GAA that can see it.

Overall though, I like most maps. Being at Tier IV and higher mostly, I don't get to see Sea Wall hardly ever(one non-premium tier III at the moment) or nostalgic(my first map ever) Old Fortress at all.

Albion I think is really beautiful, Asian Border is great(but too many clouds far too low) I like the one that used to be called Winter War(wish there were more night maps in general, flying a bomber and seeing thousands of feet below you bright flashes of light from your bombs exploding split the otherwise dark night is an utterly spectacular experience), and the rest are generally tolerable but not amazing, except Scorching Sands, of which I would love either a dusk(sunset) map or a night map variant even more than the current daylight variant we have in-game.

As for the topic of Rocket Bases once more, I think they need a ROF nerf(maybe every 15 or 20 seconds instead of every 10, for goodness' sakes!?)

Honestly, though, I think bombers, more than any other class(except perhaps GAAs to a slightly lesser extent) suffer from what I like to call the "AnarchyXNinja problem". Let me explain. I've been watching a lot of a YouTuber of that name, and the reason I link that problem to him is because he's the one that I've seen that actually points out this problem, in Star Wars Battlefront II EA.

He's like "I don't get the chance to have very much fun, or do very well or grind very much because of steamrolls either way. Either my team is garbage and we lose too fast for me to do much, or the enemy team is garbage, and we win too fast for me to do much. I much prefer close games, because that's when the magic can happen and you have the longest time possible to build up a good score."

The same thing applies here in WoWP, obviously, because we do get lots of steamrolls both ways, but the two most affected classes are the dedicated ground-pounders, Bombers and GAA. Of those two classes, the most affected lines are U.S Heavy Bombers (due to their unique, time-gulping playstyle) and most Soviet GAAs until Tier VIII(I think, it might be tier VII), with the exception of course of the speedy IL-10.

Above all, ground-pounders need lots of time to work their magic, and in any steamroll situation, TIME IS MOST CERTAINLY NOT ON THEIR SIDE.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

Stygian_Alchemist #18 Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:02 AM

First Lieutenant

• 11416 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
Honestly.. something that would help majorly would be if they were painted with a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (the firing order for the missile base) over the targets.

There seems to be a pre-determined destruction order from MBs and even if its random.. its easy enough to roll out all the randoms and then just display it to the ground pounders so we know which targets are about to be hit. Because sometimes I drop a bomb and a missile somehow manages to lock, launch, and hit, before the bomb does.. which is... whatever... the warning system isn't perfect at the moment. The worst though is when I've locked on and started railing something with say my German GAAs guns.. at T10 that still takes a while on heavily armed targets and I believe my guns are 107s or some insane-o number like that.. (I have fully calibrated and reassembled equipment for the best possible stats)... so I'm going to town.. and then WHAM there's the 7 or 8 second warning for the missile... that destroys the target I was hitting and I just blew all my time -and- all my ground clearance horizontally and probably blew off quite a bit vertically if I'm going for swoops like I tend to in the German GAAs.

About the only Ground Pounders I can only say it -isn't- a problem in.. are T3 and below because they're so slow and low you have plenty of time to plan around it.. and -possibly- the IL-40(P).. and that's only because of the output of its rockets for the burst damage bit.

Everything else is constantly kill stolen by these -and- the AI ground pounders. I imagine multiroles even get frustrated at times depending on their playstyle. 

We get it.. the AI is just like another player and players steal kills.. I'm cool with that aspect even as frustrating as it is.....

But we get it from two vectors as Ground Pounders. From the AI and from the Rocket Bases.. and the latter is easily enough fixed.. -and- realistic to boot. We would know the basic firing order, they'd radio in to friendly forces to stay out of the area, for GAA and Bombers they'd probably radio a coded  firing sequence to coordinate to maximize damage. (THAT'S another fun one.. did you know you CAN die to a missile if you happen to be in the EXACT wrong spot?)

So.. the competitiveness of other pilots, even AI.. makes sense.. but the Rockets? Eh... they're overkill in terms of sapping possible points and usefulness from Ground Pounders.. and honestly.. we're already nerfed repeatedly time and again.. at least throw us a bone that keeps us from feeling like we're being nerfed by helping our teams.. because TBH... sometimes I'm tempted to let the enemy have the rocket base and go on a rush assault plan otherwise to keep from losing the points.. depending on the makeup of the other team and the map.. I even do... so it's also shaping playstyle in a way that is a detriment to me cooperating with my team on shared objectives. 

Just my two cents, YMMV, all that!

-Widow

Stygian_Alchemist #19 Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:07 AM

First Lieutenant

• 11416 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
To add.. I don't actually dislike any of the maps, I really feel like most are -fairly- balanced and its realistic that not all maps are great for all planes. I have a weird theory though that -all- of the maps are spaced too far apart -or- not far enough apart.

My favorite maps are the ones -super- close together and only 3 nodes or -way- spaced apart and only three nodes. Why? Because either its a constant stream of action.. or staying alive in the empty spaces and getting -to- the nodes becomes a very real tactical thing and THAT is fun as heck to me. Otherwise.. Sometimes I kinda wish we had like 12 or 13 node maps *adjusts her halo* Why? because it would make the game -very- much more tactically difficult to obtain and hold an unstoppable advantage.

legoboy0401 #20 Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1767 battles

View PostWhite_Widow18, on 05 February 2019 - 06:07 PM, said:

To add.. I don't actually dislike any of the maps, I really feel like most are -fairly- balanced and its realistic that not all maps are great for all planes. I have a weird theory though that -all- of the maps are spaced too far apart -or- not far enough apart.

My favorite maps are the ones -super- close together and only 3 nodes or -way- spaced apart and only three nodes. Why? Because either its a constant stream of action.. or staying alive in the empty spaces and getting -to- the nodes becomes a very real tactical thing and THAT is fun as heck to me. Otherwise.. Sometimes I kinda wish we had like 12 or 13 node maps *adjusts her halo* Why? because it would make the game -very- much more tactically difficult to obtain and hold an unstoppable advantage.

Tell me, Widow: what do you think of getting more specialized night maps, and night versions of existing maps?

Would you be for both, one of the above, or none, and why?

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

Also tagged with gameplay, ruining

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users