Kinda new here, some questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

fsdgsg #1 Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:39 PM

Airman Basic

• 99 battles

I'm a f2p player who also plays WoT, a few questions

1, what lines (USA, USSR, Germany)are fun to play?

2, are American bombers worth it?

3, is there a replay system for this game?

qu33kKC #2 Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:08 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4678 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

1:  depends on what you're looking for.  the webpage descriptions of the various nations planes are fairly good indications.

2:  yes, but the first B-17 is painful slog to get to Spec.  The others are good out of the box, and very good when Spec'd.

3:  not as of yet, as far as I am aware.  "Coming Soon" ™

Jazz_4 #3 Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:12 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1438 battles
  • [PWOOD] PWOOD
well I'll tell you this the USA fighter lines are fun until the mustang A for the UK lines go for the spitfires they are worth it and for the usa bombers the b17d is blah but the b17g is a beast to play and the b32 is fun just so you know you will get destroyed a lot by heavies. I am not sure about the replay feature. 

Captain_Rownd #4 Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1062 battles

View Postfsdgsg, on 29 January 2019 - 10:39 PM, said:

I would suspect that for most people the best turn-fighters would be the easiest aircraft to play.  Yaks, Spitfires and Zeroes, primarily.  Keep your nose pointed at targets and turn as hard as you can, one after another.  Yaks are good, but I haven't liked Zeroes.  Spitfires are somehow pretty much good at everything, and anyone who flies them is officially a dirty statpadding cheater.   :angry:

You can set the game so it will save a logfile after each battle, which is your replay file.  It isn't a video file - it opens WoWp and "replays" the game for you.  However Wargaming replays are a bit buggy. 

Edited by Captain_Rownd, 29 January 2019 - 11:51 PM.

SpiritFoxMY #5 Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:07 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3424 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postfsdgsg, on 30 January 2019 - 06:39 AM, said:

1. Of the three I'm inclined to go with either the Germans or the Soviets. The Americans start strong but struggle with raw alpha starting from tier 6. But "fun" in World of Warplanes is pretty subjective as there's a clear divide in playstyles between certain lines so you'll need to be more specific about what you consider fun - is it jumping into a wild, swirling melee and slugging it out with everyone? Is it swooping in with surgical precision and picking off unwary targets? Is it sneaking around stealing caps and generally driving your opponents crazy? Do you like your fights more intellectual or point-and-click? What do you consider "fun"?

2. Short answer: yes. Long answer - they have a certain flavor that can be hard to get used to and do well in but they are most definitely worth learning. 

3. Yes, but it isn't very good. Long story.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

BB3_Oregon_Steel #6 Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:22 AM

Master Sergeant

• 691 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

Well, since your just starting out and I'm an expert at just starting out, I thought I'd offer you my sage advice. 

All the lines are fun but some have some distinguishing characteristics in the lower tiers that may help. 

1) US:  Really good fighters and multi-role fighters.  Lots of options to choose from.  The US doesn't have real "Heavy Fighters" like the two engine variants other nations sometimes have, at least not in the lower tiers, but planes like the P-35, P-43 and P-44 are fast, sturdy and more maneuverable than the heavy fighters of other lines at T5 and below.   What the US does not have is a dedicated ground attack aircraft in the lower tiers.

2) Russian:  There are some very interesting aircraft in this line and some of my favorites overall.  Russians don't have much in the way of a "Heavy Fighter" and their fighters and multiroles aren't the sturdiest out there.  Once you reach past the I-16, Russian fighters do become really fast and maneuverable, but don't have a lot of obvious firepower.  What the Russians do have in spades is ground attack aircraft and lots of them.  If you want to be swooping in at low altitude to blow stuffs up with a flying tank, this is the line for you. 

Also if you are potentially a fan of punishing enemy ground installations at high altitude, the Russians have some low tier bombers that are fast and capable which you can pick up at a much lower tier than bombers from other lines.  This can get you used to what a bomber can do while at a lower tier before being put into the cockpit of a higher tier aircraft. 

3) German:  Germans have a good smattering of pretty effective aircraft.  At lower tiers the Germans don't have much in the way of ground attack aircraft but they do have a lot of heavy fighters which enter the tech tree at pretty low tiers and then keep progressing. Fighters tend to be light, maneuverable and well armed with machine guns that have a very good rate of fire.  

4) Japan:  In the lower tiers, it's all about the fighters.  Japan fields some of the best and most maneuverable but they tend to be more on the fragile side.  They also tend to pay a price for this in carrying fewer and less powerful guns than average.  This is really apparent in the Ki fighter line where you can make the plane dance, but really have to sit on an opponents tail for a while to do any real damage.  The zero's, beginning at T4 begin to rectify this however. 

5) UK:  The UK line at the lower tiers is a bit stodgy.  They don't really have a specialization like the other lines, no real ground attack aircraft or really heavy fighters (which begin to appear at T4).  The only real bomber in the lower tiers is a Premium (but it's a fun one if you have it).  What the UK does seem to like is the two seater fighter concept with two of them (the Demon and Skua) in the lower tier tech tree.  These two also make pretty good multi-role fighters that sort of fill the "ground attack" role in that line.  One of the real standouts of the lower tiers arrives at T5 with the Spitfire that's been mentioned earlier in this thread.  

The other UK fighters in the tech tree aren't bad, but they don't necessarily stand out all that much either.  What they do begin to pick up around T4 is a LOT of 30 caliber machine guns, up to eight in planes like the Hurricane.  

Personally, I have fun with all the lines though I can't comment much on what happens with them above Tier V, but since you're just starting out, you'll be flying the lower tiers for a bit so hope this is helpful. 

Dru83 #7 Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:26 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2880 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

OP, here's a quick and dirty breakdown of the USA, Russia, and German lines, I hope it helps.

USA -

Mustang line - high altitude, high speed, low firepower

Corsair line - higher speeds, high hp, ok firepower in lower tiers with high firepower with the corsairs

Tbolt line - high speed, big boost, high hp, strong ground weapons

Heavy line - these vary in playstyle quite a bit, but in general have decent speed and altitude and are better than other heavies at turning.

Bombers - slower mid altitude bombers with huge bomb payloads (8 bombs at once) - tier 5 B-17 has weaker guns. Difficult to capture an area in one pass and bombs have slow reload

Russia

low tiers - quick turners and the lowest tiered planes with rockets

La line - ok turners with high firepower at T6 and higher

Yak 7 etc - derp cannon with ok turning and bad altitude

Yak 1 - great turners with weak firepower

Mig-3 line - high altitude, high speed boom and zoom... firepower is weakish until tier 7.

GA line - high hp, tons of anti-ground weapons and some big cannons, but slower and not as good at turning compared to German GAs

Bombers - low tiers are high altitude single drop bombers and tier 5 and 6 are fast diving bombers with smaller payloads

Germany

Bf - 109 line - high altitude, high speed, weaker firepower in mid tiers

Fw-190 line - mid altitude, higher speed, bad turning, heavy firepower

GA line - in general, higher speed and maneuvering than Russians. Bomb loads are small or nonexistent, but firepower involves huge cannons

Bombers - higher speed, super high altitude

Edited by Dru83, 30 January 2019 - 04:26 AM.

wylleEcoyote #8 Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:41 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2770 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS

View PostBB3_Oregon_Steel, on 29 January 2019 - 08:22 PM, said:

Well, since your just starting out and I'm an expert at just starting out, I thought I'd offer you my sage advice. 

All the lines are fun but some have some distinguishing characteristics in the lower tiers that may help. 

View PostDru83, on 29 January 2019 - 11:26 PM, said:

OP, here's a quick and dirty breakdown of the USA, Russia, and German lines, I hope it helps.

The problem with this mostly correct and Useful Help; is that it requires a decent amount of exposure to the game.

Here is the short and sweet. 
Each nation can be ground out to tier 4 (where you can at least get exposed to tier 5 planes) within 6 hours of game play.
Which is where the particular "flavors" of each branch of the tech trees really becomes noticable.
Once you do this; THEN everyone's advice starts to make more sense.
And you will have a much better Idea of what it is you want to

That said, getting a line that you like (because you would want to dedicate a day to this) into tier 5  will give you a better understanding of how each line kills effectively. And how each line is effectively killed.
Even if you dont like flying the planes in question  you will have a better understanding of how to fly against them.
all for the price of a few hours of familiarization.

no_habla_ingles #9 Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

Master Sergeant

• 3585 battles
nothing to add just you have been given very good advice and help so I will just see you in the skies 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users