Am I "Wrong" to keep flying with the joystick bug?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

bradk62 #1 Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:51 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6224 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

Played last night again hoping that the joystick bug was either fixed or would not bother me.  Had a great start, won the first 4 in a row but then after my 3rd re-spawn of the night, my stomached dropped when I realized that I had no control once again.  I fired off a quick apology and explanation to my human teammate but then realized I was wasting time so i quickly killed the process and restarted the game and got back into the fight (with controls this time) and we pulled off a close win.

Ended up having 2 losses potentially caused by encountering the joystick bug.  My team lost 2 of the 3 times with the bug but I still managed to win 6 of 9 matches for the evening.  All-in-all, an okay night but it got me thinking.

Should I just sit out WOWP until the joystick is reliable again? Do I still contribute a net positive to my team?  I tried the keyboard/mouse again but realistically it will take me months to regain proficiency and I don't think I have the patience for it.

While I can rationalize that I'm better than the average player and holding over 50% even with the joystick issues, I'm just wondering how other players feel about potentially losing teammates during the battle.  Would they rather the JS folks just sit it out?

Thoughts?

trikke #2 Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:03 PM

Captain

• 4862 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

the topic title says it all, really... 

i wore out 2 joysticks from alpha until a couple of years ago, and i fight with my friend Toggle all the time about this

but i'll never again fly with a joystick        my js rides the pine in the top of a closet in a back bedroom 

yep, you're doing it wrong

Edited by trikke, 28 January 2019 - 09:03 PM.

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

White_Widow18 #3 Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:41 PM

First Lieutenant

• 12692 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
Weird question here...

Have you tried switching the control type to mouse/keyboard in settings in flight and then back to joystick while still in flight? Not exiting the game, just hitting esc and going to the settings and switching, hitting apply, switching, hitting apply and then see if the controls unlock.

I don't fly joystick, but occasionally I get a fun little bug that blackscreens the -entire- screen. No HUD, nothing.. except... my mouse cursor... and if I hit escape I can still get into settings and switch it to windowed mode and then back and it fixes it without me having to exit the game. I didn't know if anyone had tried that with the joystick and if they have then I apologize for the suggestion sincerely!

Otherwise.. I don't know you're playing it -wrong-.. I crash load every 5-8 matches which requires me to end the process and re-start the game and I usually come back in to having died and the enemy team controlling too much of a map. My win % is over 50% but at one point it wasn't... wins aren't necessarily the best metric for determining whether you're a positive contribution, but I understand the sentiment. I'd say either keep flying joystick and _I_ would vote you're fine at least.. or.. switch back to keyboard/mouse. It really won't take all that long to pick up as long as you don't lose patience in those first few matches when all that rust is getting worked out.

Edited by White_Widow18, 28 January 2019 - 09:42 PM.

bradk62 #4 Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6224 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

Have you tried switching the control type to mouse/keyboard in settings in flight and then back to joystick while still in flight? Not exiting the game, just hitting esc and going to the settings and switching, hitting apply, switching, hitting apply and then see if the controls unlock.

Yes.  Tried that numerous times.  Apparently you can get some keyboard commands in but the mouse won't work.  Some people do this to crash, hoping they will regain control on the next re-spawn.

Edited by bradk62, 28 January 2019 - 11:38 PM.

bradk62 #5 Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6224 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View Posttrikke, on 28 January 2019 - 09:03 PM, said:

the topic title says it all, really... 

i wore out 2 joysticks from alpha until a couple of years ago, and i fight with my friend Toggle all the time about this

but i'll never again fly with a joystick        my js rides the pine in the top of a closet in a back bedroom 

yep, you're doing it wrong

Interesting.  You're the second person I  know of to make the transition BACK to mouse/kb.  The other did so because of the cost of replacing joysticks.  Is this your reason as well or do you really like playing on the mouse better?

Was hoping the discussion would go along the lines of "should I fly with this bug knowing I might be a detriment to my team" but good discussion.

GonerNL #6 Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1720 battles

View Postbradk62, on 28 January 2019 - 09:51 PM, said:

Ended up having 2 losses potentially caused by encountering the joystick bug.  My team lost 2 of the 3 times with the bug

That's what really bothers me too ... apart from the grief and frustration that this bug has been giving me for over a month (!!) now, I have to frequently leave my team at moments that I might actually make a difference !!

And no, I will not switch to mouse/keyboard.

I would rather quit and who knows, it might come to that ; WG does not seem to take this very seriously.

Flying on EU, NA, ASIA and CIS servers

Martymart1976 #7 Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6237 battles
  • [FK] FK
Mouse and keyboard here...

Azis_ #8 Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2379 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

Personally I will not and can not fly kb/mouse. Simply trying would remove any last bit of enjoyment the game has left to offer.

From all I have heard and seen from posts, even those who do not use js, are sympathetic and place any blame on the bug and most everyone knows of the issue that has existed for some time and not been fixed.

I do type in chat that I lost control,brb, then restart the game. I had been typing to all but in the future only planning on informing team. I had been informing all out of courtesy, and with the idea that starting at max altitude, zero throttle (which does not even result in stalling towards a crash), it would be a waste of time for any to break battle for one easy kill. Apparently there are plenty of red Vultures out there that have no more concern for their own team results than to go for a sitting duck.

The only question I ask, is, "How long can I deal with this bug personally" before I choose to give up.

There are plenty of other bugs that plague the entire community, this one should simply be (as the others as well) a personal choice of how long each can put up with it.

rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

Azis_ #9 Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2379 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

By the way, last night seemed particularly buggy, laggy, packet loss, black screen etc. I had too many games with rubber banding, shots hitting not registering....etc. And I had a competent wing....was quite frustrating.

I sure hope server reset helps cuz I rarely have lag problems.

Edited by Azis_, 28 January 2019 - 11:10 PM.

rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

Captain_Rownd #10 Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 3718 battles

View Postbradk62, on 28 January 2019 - 10:18 PM, said:

Yes.  Tried that numerous times.  Apparently you can get some keyboard commands in but the mouse won't work.  Some people do this to crashing hoping they will regain control on the next re-spawn.

If you have an SSD and a decent computer you can just alt-tab and close the game client window and hit the "play" button when it goes gold to restart the game client.  Doing that I usually get back in game near the center of the map with 50% of my hit points, which is better than wasting a full respawn.

The dead joystick bug only happens about 5-10% of my games, so I just play through it.  I have no intention to re-learn the whole game with mouse/keyboard controls.  I'm also terrible at keyboard games because I always hit the wrong buttons or fat-finger double buttons. 

Favorites:

SPAD S.510:: MiG-3 :: I-250 :: Ju 88 P :: He 100 D-1 :: Caudron C.714 :: Me 329 :: MiG-9

Azis_ #11 Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2379 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 28 January 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

If you have an SSD and a decent computer you can just alt-tab and close the game client window and hit the "play" button when it goes gold to restart the game client.  Doing that I usually get back in game near the center of the map with 50% of my hit points, which is better than wasting a full respawn.

The dead joystick bug only happens about 5-10% of my games, so I just play through it.  I have no intention to re-learn the whole game with mouse/keyboard controls.  I'm also terrible at keyboard games because I always hit the wrong buttons or fat-finger double buttons. 

I do have a good rig (Win7 pro) but no SSD and it still works as well as any other option I have tried.

Edited by Azis_, 28 January 2019 - 11:28 PM.

bradk62 #12 Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6224 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 28 January 2019 - 11:19 PM, said:

I have an SSD but it still seems agonizingly slow.  I wonder if I could install a second instance on my other SSD and run it but not log in until I kill the first instance.

I bet I could fix their code easier :)

Azis_ #13 Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2379 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

This might be a good place for this question:

How would or does anyone perform this maneuver using m/kb?

Uncoordinated turn (Roll right w/left rudder), change throttle between zero-2/3 instantly, holding flaps, fire rockets, drop bombs...simultaneously?

White_Widow18 #14 Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:47 PM

First Lieutenant

• 12692 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostAzis_, on 28 January 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

This might be a good place for this question:

How would or does anyone perform this maneuver using m/kb?

Uncoordinated turn (Roll right w/left rudder), change throttle between zero-2/3 instantly, holding flaps, fire rockets, drop bombs...simultaneously?

Keybinds for rudder and roll, so for example I'd press a & c while joggling my throttle with my middle finger back and forth between W & S and dropping my rockets, guns, bombs, and toggling sight types with the 7 buttons on my mouse. Space bar is flaps.. so I'm using four fingers on the left hand, if I really get going I'll be doing pitch up/down controls at the same time.. so using all five fingers or dodging keys back and forth. (those are bound q/e) and the whole I'm I'm -also- slinging the mouse around as needed.

Azis_ #15 Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2379 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

You must have some talent WW, thank you for the reply :honoring:

With arthritis, tendonitis and carpel tunnel, running a keyboard blind like that would be near impossible for me.

BTW since you understood all I said and can do it on m/kb, I would love to fly with you sometime.

Edited by Azis_, 29 January 2019 - 12:03 AM.

egikov #16 Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:09 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 4872 battles
  • [B_C_S] B_C_S

I recently found a solution for me. It's not the best, the bug is still there.

I decided to fly planes that I rarely die in.

Those are tiers 2,3,4. Tier 5 is much more dangerous, but some planes can survive like Bf-109E, because it's fast and small.

White_Widow18 #17 Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:11 AM

First Lieutenant

• 12692 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
It's taken a lot of time to get a keybind setup I can roll between with my own arthritis and I'm constantly wishing honestly I just had an addon ten-key that I could keybind it all to because it has better spacing/layout than WASD does.. but my simple little laptop's ten key is painfully positioned so C'est La Vie.

I'd like to fly with you too btw, I love flying with all the players who've been playing longer than me, or against them since it always requires me to up my game. I'll admit I have moments where my hand is just tired or.. not woken up. Usually it takes 3-4 matches to get in a groove on it and then I'm doing well. I also have a slight advantage in keyboard usage because I used to play MUDs and MUSHes so I'm uh.. used to having to type weird things at a fast rate and If I just translate what key presses I need into a string of letters in my head.. eh... it's weird but it works *shrugs*

I'd -much- rather play this game with two rudder pedals, a stick, and a throttle lever.. but I don't have anywhere to set up the hardware for that, nor the hardware itself these days and from the horror stories about bugs I've seen and heard.... I'm kinda glad I don't in a weird way.

Azis_ #18 Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2379 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

True that WW, however the pedals and such are so much over kill for this arcade game ;) I use to have all and flew all the MS sims from combat to flight, helped me with my pilot training.

I flew Cubs, J3 and J5 so I need a stick, even yokes did not do it for me.

I think in my aging years I have gotten easier on my js so it has held up quite well for 5 yrs now, perhaps I got lucky with this one as I used to go through one every 3-4 months. (Logitech 3-D)

I have played some Star Wars MMO using keyboard and still sucked using specials and such, I had to look to find Fkeys and yada yada...can type 35 WPM but that is about the extent of my kb talent.

Bobby_Tables #19 Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 10329 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

I feel for you all on the arthritis issues and such.  After shoveling and snow throwing for the past two days my fingers are in knots trying to play.  

I have an "ergonomic" keyboard somewhere in the basement and I should bring it upstairs where I play.  My little keyboard is quite cumbersome to use.  

White_Widow18 #20 Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:48 AM

First Lieutenant

• 12692 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
This is literally the first flight sim I've picked up since... MS Flight 2003 I think? I was just shy of getting my pilot's license a couple of times and have hundreds of hours logged on -actual- flight simulators, but physical disability and financial hardship ended all of that.

This game weirdly reminds me of Falcon 4.0.. down to the bugs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users