Tier 7 Day

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Captain_Rownd #1 Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:52 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 822 battles

Today is my official entry into Tier 7 after I finally saved up enough to buy and outfit the tech tree I-220.  (I played my first Tier 7 battle in the VB 10 a few days ago)  I'm also working towards the Yak-3 soon.  Along with the Typhoon this is probably enough Tier 7 planes for me, since I'm a noob and play the sadly gimped joystick version of the game. 

I had a fairly hard time with the I-210 (76 battles), which was decent at everything and not really good at anything.  I-220 promises to be more of the same.  I'm starting with a Marksman 1 pilot, but will probably retrain for Engine Guru 1+2 when I get him up to 5 skill points? 

Captain_Rownd #2 Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:48 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 822 battles

I feel pretty comfortable in the stock I-220 except for the usual problem with low effective DPM because of rapidly overheating guns.  I was near the top of the team in losses, but only in the middle in the lone win.  20% win rate speaks for itself. Engine also gets knocked out a lot, but that might be more related to Tier 7 bigger guns than the aircraft? 

Edited by Captain_Rownd, 11 January 2019 - 12:52 AM.

CorvusCorvax #3 Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:20 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2212 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

Most of the Soviet planes are made of tissue paper and jet fuel - they damage and crit easily.  The Yak-3 is fantastic, BTW - you will love it.

You may think about getting marksman, so that your rapid overheat is minimized by getting the shots on-target.  Easy for me to say - I run German heavy fighters, which are usually the fastest aircraft at-tier.  If, after I get MMI and MMII, I might run ADE, and THEN, EGI  But that's 9 points. 

Congrats on T7.  T8 is a blast.  The Yak-15 is ridiculous.

Dru83 #4 Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:11 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2805 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
The I-220 is way better than the I-210 at everything. The firepower is awesome. You don't necessarily need the accuracy boosts because all the guns are in the nose, but a little accuracy never hurts. You have to get used to trigger discipline. If you are taking a deflection shot (anything other than head to head or head to tail) use short bursts of a second or less. Do not hold the trigger down unless you are certain of your shot. It's only after I've lined a target up at close range and I'm sure of how much I have to lead the target that I will hose the target. Otherwise, I fire, count out a second, release the trigger, count out a second, then fire again for another second. Use the vertical to change direction. Fall out of the sky on top of an opponent. Slow down so you have more time on target, then boost away in a straight line. Climb after you have separation of 3,000 ft. Then, reverse direction and make another run. It also works well in the vertical. Sometimes, you can just hit them hard, pull out right above them and climb right back up to altitude and they'll never be able to climb up after you. It's a lot like flying a Mustang or Bf-109. Use the vertical and your altitude to pop out of nowhere and surprise an opponent and then boost right back up to altitude where they can't climb up to you.

SpiritFoxMY #5 Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:09 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3262 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

The I-220 is arguably the most overpowered airplane at tier 7. Some would give that honor to the Ki-84 but I choose speed and acceleration over turn and alpha.

These are both pretty old games but the I-220 hasn't really changed over time so they're still relevant. Keep her high, keep her fast, use her like the tier 5 MiG-3.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 11 January 2019 - 05:12 AM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Jazz_4 #6 Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:11 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1341 battles
  • [PWOOD] PWOOD
congrats on the new plane and good luck I just my tier 6 corsair today and it's amazing. I am saving up to re buy the mustang A to grind for the tier 7 mustang. after that I am going to save up and try to get the p47b and try it out.

Captain_Rownd #7 Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:35 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 822 battles
I had the P-51D researched long ago, but I was doing better in the russian fighters at the time so I figured I'd venture higher in the russian tech tree first.  I also have other lines to work up, and may do the Republic Thunderbolt/jet/streak line before I do more P-51. 

Jazz_4 #8 Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1341 battles
  • [PWOOD] PWOOD
nice I need to still research all the tier 5 Russian fighters I got the corsair it's amazing I love it I don't like the 20 mm on them. But it's still a fun plane. I did try out the typhoon I like the machine guns on it. I got the pilot with 5 skill points I went with marksman and engine guru on it. then vigilance for the final skill right now I am trying to save up and buy the p47b. but I will say one of the planes I got I love right now is the b17g it's amazing plus looks awesome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users