Humor - Google has a dirty mind in translation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:48 PM

Captain

• 64 battles

I just got back from the hospital for the MRS. and I see this event going on on the RU forums. One translation is by Google and the other is by Yandex for the Russian language.

Block Quote

Google Translation - In the rear of the enemy

Yandex translation - Behind enemy lines

From January 11 to January 14, go to battle on airplanes from level IV and higher, complete combat missions and gain additional experience for your first victory and other rewards! 

RU WoWP forum source link

Which brings up I know the current WoWP developers are not flyers. A pilot would have labelled the thread as " In the enemy's Sixth"

This also reminds me of the Indiana Jones incident with his father at the 0:25 mark of the video

Is this something like the Apple autospell check for texting?

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

egikov #2 Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 4205 battles
  • [LNSTR] LNSTR

Don't blame Google. It's very hard to translate many things because some languages don't have words for that, or need several words. Google translates everything directly and that usually gives a general idea; even if each word is translated correctly, all the words together might give you a mess.

If you take this phrase "behind enemy lines" and try to translate it directly word by word, you will see that the world lines cannot be used for Russian. Because in Russian the world "line" (линия) has only one simple meaning - a line drawn or seen (like a line of a horizon).

That's why trying to translate back and forth will give you different words and meaning every time and getting farther and farther from original meaning.

So, "behind enemy lines" is not a direct translation, it is interpretation, that actually gives it the meaning.

"In the rear of the enemy" is a direct translation of each word which can be interpreted any way you want.

Maybe Yandex is better for translating Russian...

FlakValleyExpress #3 Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:21 PM

Captain

• 64 battles

View Postegikov, on 10 January 2019 - 02:07 PM, said:

Don't blame Google. It's very hard to translate many things because some languages don't have words for that, or need several words. Google translates everything directly and that usually gives a general idea; even if each word is translated correctly, all the words together might give you a mess.

If you take this phrase "behind enemy lines" and try to translate it directly word by word, you will see that the world lines cannot be used for Russian. Because in Russian the world "line" (линия) has only one simple meaning - a line drawn or seen (like a line of a horizon).

That's why trying to translate back and forth will give you different words and meaning every time and getting farther and farther from original meaning.

So, "behind enemy lines" is not a direct translation, it is interpretation, that actually gives it the meaning.

"In the rear of the enemy" is a direct translation of each word which can be interpreted any way you want.

Maybe Yandex is better for translating Russian...

I think Yandex is better in having a common understanding than trying to do street slang like Google. However my main point is this:

Block Quote

Which brings up I know the current WoWP developers are not flyers. A pilot would have labelled the thread as " In the enemy's Sixth"

They are programmers and do not have the pilot's POV for flying passion in WoWP. They don't speak the same fighter pilot language that is relatable. None of this is translating well. 

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

SpiritFoxMY #4 Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:49 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4924 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 12 January 2019 - 12:21 AM, said:

They are programmers and do not have the pilot's POV for flying passion in WoWP. They don't speak the same fighter pilot language that is relatable. None of this is translating well. 

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

trikke #5 Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:14 PM

Captain

• 3633 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 10 January 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

I just got back from the hospital for the MRS. and I see this event going on on the RU forums. One translation is by Google and the other is by Yandex for the Russian language.

This also reminds me of the Indiana Jones incident with his father at the 0:25 mark of the video

Is this something like the Apple autospell check for texting?

you buried the headline here...   did you have the MRS virus or was your wife sick?

are you both okay?

edit:  sorry, it's MRSA not MRS     so it must be your wife

we hope she's doing better!

Edited by trikke, 12 January 2019 - 05:18 PM.

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

FlakValleyExpress #6 Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:39 PM

Captain

• 64 battles

View Posttrikke, on 12 January 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

you buried the headline here...   did you have the MRS virus or was your wife sick?

are you both okay?

edit:  sorry, it's MRSA not MRS     so it must be your wife

we hope she's doing better!

It's a very bad case of Bronchitis for the MRS. Adenoviruses is running crazy through our community. We think this is what she has going on. The hospital is filling up with cases like this. The problem for her is she has many auto-immune problems and makes it hard for her to heal at a normal rate. Monday it will be a week in the hospital for her. She is getting better, but not good enough to go home yet.

Vae victis

Captain_Underpants53 #7 Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:08 AM

Captain

• 24263 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 12 January 2019 - 01:39 PM, said:

It's a very bad case of Bronchitis for the MRS. Adenoviruses is running crazy through our community. We think this is what she has going on. The hospital is filling up with cases like this. The problem for her is she has many auto-immune problems and makes it hard for her to heal at a normal rate. Monday it will be a week in the hospital for her. She is getting better, but not good enough to go home yet.

May she get well soon!

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users