It's not possible ...

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Deltavee #21 Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:09 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1726 battles

View PostLeo_1408, on 10 January 2019 - 05:38 AM, said:

Great! What's your nick in WOWS - I'm Leo_1408, same as here.  C'ya there! :honoring:

Same nick in all three games, Deltavee, not that I've tried WoT for about a year and a half.  I've heard the chat is pretty toxic and I know that most players only know one tactic - Charge.  I probably should revisit to see if the rumours are true.

Been heavily into WoWP since last summer and WoWS has suffered as a consequence but yeah, I'm always up for a change of pace.

I've never teamed up with anyone in any of the games because I'm a loner by nature but if we could hook up in WoWS (I have no idea how that is accomplished) it could be fun trying working together playing as a team of hunter-killer destroyers.  I usually knife fight since I have converted all my torps to gain speed over distance.  Some are only good for 4 km, but travel at 69 knots.

I would think voice comm would be essential as well.  If WoWS is like WoWP you can only communicate with the in-game comm if you're flighted (divisioned) up.  If you want to try a few games, PM me and we could have a bash.  The reason I don't normally team up is beause of the other vessels getting under foot and of course, getting a friendly torpedo up the yatz.

I've got 66 ships, 20 of which are DDs.  My faves are the the Smith and the V-25 in that order.  Being Canadian, of course I have a Haida.  I fight exclusively in Co-op, 3,200+ battles and about the same number (3,282) of ships sunk

As I said, I have no  idea how to meet up for a battle, but I'm sure it can be accomplished.

Interesting to me that your name is Leo.  I had an uncle named Leo who, like my old man, was in the R.C.A.F. in WWII.  Leo was killed just after the war while hedge-hopping a B-25 about 8 mos. before I was born so we never met.  One of my dad's brothers was also in the R.C.A.F. as a fighter cop (controller-operator) in the tower.

Anyway, if you want to team up sometime, PM me and we can give it a try.

Cheers,

Edited by Deltavee, 10 January 2019 - 06:20 PM.

Deltavee

Per Ardua Ad Astra

bradk62 #22 Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:41 PM

Master Sergeant

• 3136 battles
  • [335TH] 335TH

Leo,

I reviewed your stats and understand why you feel this way.  You fly mostly (light) Fighters as I did when 2.0 rolled out.

If you look at the Hall of Fame list, 18 or the 20 top rated players have substantially more damage to ground targets than aerial targets.  This would imply that most of the top players fly mostly GA, Bombers or Heavy Fighters, not Light Fighters.

I was very frustrated and saw myself at the TOP of my team list almost every time but had a win rate in the low 30's.  I eventually realized that it was much easier to "win" when I flew Heavy Fighters.  I tried my hand several times with GA but I truly suck at it. 

Flying the heavies and actually flipping the sectors myself helped teach me how to prioritize the sectors.  Once I got familiar with that strategy and was winning consistently, I was able to transition back to Fighters.

I worked my way up the Spitfire line and can hold a decent win rate in those.  The Spitfires are very balanced fighters with a strong gun and decent performance and I usually get more than my share of sector flips, which I think is key to the win rate.

I hope you give it another chance and if you do, send me a Flight request (another key to winning is being in a good flight).

Brad

Edited by bradk62, 10 January 2019 - 07:58 PM.

SkyWolf__WM #23 Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:05 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4502 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
What he said. It is much easier after you are more experienced.
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

SkyWolf__WM #24 Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:07 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4502 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
And Brad thank you for learning the game without the incessant whining of some players.
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

bradk62 #25 Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:59 PM

Master Sergeant

• 3136 battles
  • [335TH] 335TH

View PostSkyWolf__WM, on 10 January 2019 - 08:07 PM, said:

And Brad thank you for learning the game without the incessant whining of some players.

You are most welcome.  But to be fair, I didn't know about the forums until I got past 1000 battles and realized how bad I was actually doing and started researching the game strategy.:)

Edited by bradk62, 10 January 2019 - 09:13 PM.

Reitousair #26 Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:15 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 7552 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Mmm... I have to disagree with the OP. It is possible to affect the outcome of a match, however it is not always possible and you can affect it both ways. I have seen mysterious captures where it's practically an insta-flip, but what I've learned is there's always a reason, something catastrophic happened.

Like an enemy IL-8 bot destroying the workshop and two heavy targets at a neutral mining plant that had been previously damaged. Or an airstrip flipping due to two defending bots getting shot down within a second of each other. There is little that can be done in these situations.

As brought up by bradk62, if you're flying mostly LF's you'll struggle more to make an impact on most matches since there's only three sectors which provide enough ADA to not require ground targets, enemy aircraft, or respawning ADA to flip; the garrison, the airstrip, and the airbase. Meanwhile sectors that have more of a direct impact on the game -the command center, the missile base, and the mining plant- require either both air and ground kills, or solely ground kills (assuming no interference by the enemy team.)

There are times where you can indeed cause very massive influence on a match. Like flipping a mining plant in mere seconds with an F7U, or sneaking behind enemy lines and flipping their military base which then proceeds to flip a garrison and then attack another garrison. But you can also negatively influence a match, like suffering from bugs/internet/etc. and becoming effectively target practice, gifting the enemy kills over capture points, or attacking/defending sectors that are less important than others.

Sure I may be an 80% WR pilot but... I fly mostly solo, surely there's more than just luck that carries me to victory?

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

Perco_lator #27 Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:23 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 11 battles

View PostDeltavee, on 10 January 2019 - 01:09 PM, said:

Same nick in all three games, Deltavee, not that I've tried WoT for about a year and a half.  I've heard the chat is pretty toxic and I know that most players only know one tactic - Charge.

They removed all-chat & you can disable chat with allies in your settings.

"Come find me in the game, tough guy.  We'll see who knows stuff."

Deltavee #28 Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:38 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1726 battles

View PostPerco_lator, on 10 January 2019 - 04:23 PM, said:

They removed all-chat & you can disable chat with allies in your settings.

Excellent news!  Thanks, Perc.  Maybe I'll go check it out if I can ever tear myself away from the ongoing drama that is WoWP.  :ohmy:

Deltavee

Per Ardua Ad Astra

CorvusCorvax #29 Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:02 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2268 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostDeltavee, on 10 January 2019 - 06:09 PM, said:

Same nick in all three games, Deltavee, not that I've tried WoT for about a year and a half.  I've heard the chat is pretty toxic and I know that most players only know one tactic - Charge.  I probably should revisit to see if the rumours are true.

I played tanks for a while, and got tired of the abusive chat.  I swear, I'd put three of four players on mute every battle, and it just got old.  I got into WoWP through tanks, and pretty much dropped tanks completely.  It might be fun if there was someone good to play with so I could scout or cover for them.

Leo_1408 #30 Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:09 AM

Master Sergeant

• 2316 battles
  • [FALCO] FALCO

View PostDeltavee, on 10 January 2019 - 06:09 PM, said:

Been heavily into WoWP since last summer and WoWS has suffered as a consequence but yeah, I'm always up for a change of pace.

I've never teamed up with anyone in any of the games because I'm a loner by nature but if we could hook up in WoWS (I have no idea how that is accomplished) it could be fun trying working together playing as a team of hunter-killer destroyers.  I usually knife fight since I have converted all my torps to gain speed over distance.  Some are only good for 4 km, but travel at 69 knots.

I would think voice comm would be essential as well.  If WoWS is like WoWP you can only communicate with the in-game comm if you're flighted (divisioned) up.  If you want to try a few games, PM me and we could have a bash.  The reason I don't normally team up is beause of the other vessels getting under foot and of course, getting a friendly torpedo up the yatz.

I've got 66 ships, 20 of which are DDs.  My faves are the the Smith and the V-25 in that order.  Being Canadian, of course I have a Haida.  I fight exclusively in Co-op, 3,200+ battles and about the same number (3,282) of ships sunk

As I said, I have no  idea how to meet up for a battle, but I'm sure it can be accomplished.

Interesting to me that your name is Leo.  I had an uncle named Leo who, like my old man, was in the R.C.A.F. in WWII.  Leo was killed just after the war while hedge-hopping a B-25 about 8 mos. before I was born so we never met.  One of my dad's brothers was also in the R.C.A.F. as a fighter cop (controller-operator) in the tower.

Anyway, if you want to team up sometime, PM me and we can give it a try.

Cheers,

Hi Deltavee! Yeah - Leo is a very old fashioned name, but it's the only one I got.:)

Like you, I usually hunt alone, and the other complication is I'm on the Asian server for WOWS (I live in Australia) so it might not be possible to team up in WOWS (time differences).

I have a lot of ships (not as many as you) but not many premium ships - I don't have much money to spend, although I did buy Scharnhorst last Christmas and a Russian destroyer with loads of torpedo tubes later in the year - usually I grind through to the next ship, so I mostly have lower tier ships. I mainly play in co-op, but try random battles and scenarios from time to time.

My mum and dad took me on a world trip when I was like 12, and I been to Canada and the USA. Canada was more like a colder Australia, and I enjoyed seeing both places.

I'm a bit wary of destroyers, cos I got to be pink a few times for hitting friendlies. I'm always care ful not to fire a torpedo when there are friendlies nearby, but I have sent off a long range fish, and had a dopey destroyer or cruiser turn into its path from miles away. Like don't they see and hear the warnings?

Anyway, great talking to you,

Cheers!

Leo

Leo_1408 #31 Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:19 AM

Master Sergeant

• 2316 battles
  • [FALCO] FALCO

View Postbradk62, on 10 January 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

Leo,

I reviewed your stats and understand why you feel this way.  You fly mostly (light) Fighters as I did when 2.0 rolled out.

If you look at the Hall of Fame list, 18 or the 20 top rated players have substantially more damage to ground targets than aerial targets.  This would imply that most of the top players fly mostly GA, Bombers or Heavy Fighters, not Light Fighters.

I was very frustrated and saw myself at the TOP of my team list almost every time but had a win rate in the low 30's.  I eventually realized that it was much easier to "win" when I flew Heavy Fighters.  I tried my hand several times with GA but I truly suck at it. 

Flying the heavies and actually flipping the sectors myself helped teach me how to prioritize the sectors.  Once I got familiar with that strategy and was winning consistently, I was able to transition back to Fighters.

I worked my way up the Spitfire line and can hold a decent win rate in those.  The Spitfires are very balanced fighters with a strong gun and decent performance and I usually get more than my share of sector flips, which I think is key to the win rate.

I hope you give it another chance and if you do, send me a Flight request (another key to winning is being in a good flight).

Brad

Thanks for all that advice. I don't have many heavy fighters, but I do have a couple of bombers - could they do the trick? If not - which heavy fighters would you recommend?

And I'm not whining about the game - I'm just realising the limits of both the game and my abilities. I can still have fun fighting battles and winning is not that important, except when your team is losing - you get jumped by so many enemy players and bots. Like you, I like the Spitfires, and the Mk1A is one of the few premium planes I bought. The Hawker I bought with candy is also great - a bit slow but it turns awesomely.

Anyway, thanks again for your post.

CorvusCorvax #32 Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:22 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2268 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostLeo_1408, on 11 January 2019 - 01:19 AM, said:

If not - which heavy fighters would you recommend?

I will always advocate for the German heavy fighters.  Fast, big guns, turn like an ocean liner.  :)

Oh, and the German or Russian bomber lines are also fun.  I don't play them as much as my HFs, but I do enjoy how they can flip caps so quickly.

Edited by CorvusCorvax, 11 January 2019 - 01:23 AM.

Deltavee #33 Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:38 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1726 battles

View PostLeo_1408, on 10 January 2019 - 08:09 PM, said:

Hi Deltavee! Yeah - Leo is a very old fashioned name, but it's the only one I got.:)

Like you, I usually hunt alone, and the other complication is I'm on the Asian server for WOWS (I live in Australia) so it might not be possible to team up in WOWS (time differences).

I have a lot of ships (not as many as you) but not many premium ships - I don't have much money to spend, although I did buy Scharnhorst last Christmas and a Russian destroyer with loads of torpedo tubes later in the year - usually I grind through to the next ship, so I mostly have lower tier ships. I mainly play in co-op, but try random battles and scenarios from time to time.

My mum and dad took me on a world trip when I was like 12, and I been to Canada and the USA. Canada was more like a colder Australia, and I enjoyed seeing both places.

I'm a bit wary of destroyers, cos I got to be pink a few times for hitting friendlies. I'm always care ful not to fire a torpedo when there are friendlies nearby, but I have sent off a long range fish, and had a dopey destroyer or cruiser turn into its path from miles away. Like don't they see and hear the warnings?

Anyway, great talking to you,

Cheers!

Leo

Hi Leo.  Well, the fact that you're on a different day than I am here in Eastern Standard Time in Canada might be a problem, you're right.  The other thing is I can't find a way to get at the Asian server through WoWS so I guess we'll have to leave it as "it would have been a good idea if it worked" kind of thing.  Too bad.

Coincidentally, I also travelled when I was younger.  Not a world trip, but moved to Paris back in 1956 when I was 10 and lived there for four years, courtesy of a posting from the R.C.A.F.  We travelled Europe extensively, but I haven't seen any more of the planet aside from living across Canada throughout my life and a bit of the U.S..  I've always been attracted to Australia.  Maybe because we have some similarities, I would think.  Colonials and all that.... 

I've been pinked a few times as well for the same reason.  I had a cruiser charge out from behind an island right into a 4-torpedo spread I had fired a few seconds before. 

Vapourized him.  :facepalm: 

Just luck of the game as often as not but now I make sure to fire only if I'm between the enemy and my guys or at least make sure there's an island behind the target for the torp to stop against instead of running  free.  I think I'll go play a few rounds of WoWS.  It's been a while.

Been good talking to you as well.  Good luck and have fun.

Cheers mate,

Deltavee

Edited by Deltavee, 11 January 2019 - 02:30 AM.

Deltavee

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Perrigrino #34 Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:41 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4104 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Leo

Your comments and observations, and those of Deltavee regarding the differences of game play between WoWP and WoWS are very interesting and in line with some of the things I have been seeing for a while. WoWS, CO-OP, which is what I mostly play as well - for the sheer "relaxed fun" form of entertainment, is very straight forward- as WoWP use to be...., to a point. Where they are/were similar was the lack of respawn, symmetrical maps, basic capture the flag strategy. But the vehicle attributes, and I'm not talking about flying vs floating a boat, but in  Ship CO-OP, battles are matched vehicle for vehicle, whereas, Planes- that has never been the case. TYPE of vehicle is not matched, rarely with regard to humans, and only so far with regard to BOTs (CLaSS). And now, WoWP is a different animal. If your frustrated, then please feel right at home. Some would argue that it seems to be the requisite afterbirth sought by game makers.  

Reitousair has provided some very excellent advice in terms of how to approach and play the game in it's present iteration. Given the number of changes that have occurred since it began, I would guess that there is more to come, just what- well who can say. Needless to say it will be a surprise when it does happen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users