Jump to content


Bomber Lines


  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Prenzlau #41 Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:34 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 8154 battles
  • 848
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    12-14-2015

Booze

 

    When all the "experts" are done showing you the basics and then you have flown bombers for a while, come look me up and I'll show you the advanced stuff.

 

Prenzlau_Tyrannus


 

 

 

 


Captain_Underpants53 #42 Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:30 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 17095 battles
  • 2,122
  • [I_D] I_D
  • Member since:
    04-17-2017
Moderated by Volier_Zcit

Edited by Volier_Zcit, 09 January 2019 - 12:15 AM.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Booze_Morgan #43 Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:21 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 377 battles
  • 198
  • [RBL_] RBL_
  • Member since:
    10-01-2018

View PostPrenzlau_Tyrannus, on 08 January 2019 - 07:34 AM, said:

Booze

 

    When all the "experts" are done showing you the basics and then you have flown bombers for a while, come look me up and I'll show you the advanced stuff.

 

Prenzlau_Tyrannus

 

 ​Laughing here. Rgr that Prenz, looking forward to it.

Prenzlau #44 Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:46 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 8154 battles
  • 848
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    12-14-2015

Moderated by Volier_Zcit 

 

Edited by Volier_Zcit, 09 January 2019 - 12:16 AM.

 

 

 

 


Booze_Morgan #45 Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:20 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 377 battles
  • 198
  • [RBL_] RBL_
  • Member since:
    10-01-2018

In The 17-G: I have learned how to destroy two GTs both in a straight line and while making a gentle curve to hit the second one.  I am convinced three are possible, perhaps with the Specialist assistance and with targets cooperating as to their placement.  I see where the grind is going to be loooooong.

 

Thanks again to all who positively contributed to this thread.  Lots of learning was had.


Edited by Booze_Morgan, 08 January 2019 - 04:21 PM.


poppavein #46 Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:32 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 3046 battles
  • 247
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 07 January 2019 - 09:48 PM, said:

I really should only speak to the bombers but I will go out on a limb and say that there is no other plane class that benefits as much from being Spec.

 

They also seem to be the hardest to Specialize.  For me at least.



Prenzlau #47 Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:33 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 8154 battles
  • 848
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    12-14-2015

View PostBooze_Morgan, on 08 January 2019 - 10:20 AM, said:

In The 17-G: I have learned how to destroy two GTs both in a straight line and while making a gentle curve to hit the second one.  I am convinced three are possible, perhaps with the Specialist assistance and with targets cooperating as to their placement.  I see where the grind is going to be loooooong.

 

Thanks again to all who positively contributed to this thread.  Lots of learning was had.

 

    It is good that you were given the time and consideration that I never had. 

 

Something these video makers and advice givers will never tell you, but this someday could be the difference in just being a good bomber versus a great one.

 

Fly your bomber as if you are the wolf, the predator. Always be very aggressive. Never be the sheep and never be anyone's prey. If someone shoots you down, they pay for it next time they come around. The bomber IS the weapon and you wield it as if you are it's master.

 

There are a lot of people who won't understand this. 

 

Prenzlau_Tyrannus

 

 


 

 

 

 


Captain_Underpants53 #48 Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 17095 battles
  • 2,122
  • [I_D] I_D
  • Member since:
    04-17-2017

Moderated by Volier_Zcit 


Edited by Volier_Zcit, 09 January 2019 - 12:17 AM.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Prenzlau #49 Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:57 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 8154 battles
  • 848
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    12-14-2015

 Moderated by Volier_Zcit 

 

Edited by Volier_Zcit, 09 January 2019 - 12:18 AM.

 

 

 

 


Booze_Morgan #50 Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:57 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 377 battles
  • 198
  • [RBL_] RBL_
  • Member since:
    10-01-2018

View PostPrenzlau_Tyrannus, on 08 January 2019 - 10:33 AM, said:

 

    It is good that you were given the time and consideration that I never had. 

 

Something these video makers and advice givers will never tell you, but this someday could be the difference in just being a good bomber versus a great one.

 

Fly your bomber as if you are the wolf, the predator. Always be very aggressive. Never be the sheep and never be anyone's prey. If someone shoots you down, they pay for it next time they come around. The bomber IS the weapon and you wield it as if you are it's master.

 

There are a lot of people who won't understand this. 

 

Prenzlau_Tyrannus

 

 

 

I understand it, and have redirected that beast at times to hunt just that way.  I surprised a P-38 by going after him.  

 

He flew up and did damage, but my turrets ran him off.  He paid no further attention to me until he noticed I had turned and was hunting him, was on his tail, front gunners chewing him up.  He turned, but too late. A slight dip of a wing and the hunt was over.  We spoke afterwards, he was complimentary.

 

There was also this upstart USSR bomber ...

 

I will say my aggression is curbed a bit until I become better at the primary mission, bombing and bombing well.



CorvusCorvax #51 Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 2664 battles
  • 2,676
  • [JG52] JG52
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

Moderated by Volier_Zcit 


Edited by Volier_Zcit, 09 January 2019 - 12:19 AM.


Captain_Underpants53 #52 Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 17095 battles
  • 2,122
  • [I_D] I_D
  • Member since:
    04-17-2017
Moderated by Volier_Zcit

Edited by Volier_Zcit, 09 January 2019 - 12:20 AM.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Captain_Underpants53 #53 Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:01 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 17095 battles
  • 2,122
  • [I_D] I_D
  • Member since:
    04-17-2017
Moderated by Volier_Zcit 

Edited by Volier_Zcit, 09 January 2019 - 12:21 AM.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

wylleEcoyote #54 Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:16 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 3227 battles
  • 440
  • [ALAS] ALAS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 08 January 2019 - 12:48 AM, said:

 

I really should only speak to the bombers but I will go out on a limb and say that there is no other plane class that benefits as much from being Spec.

 

View Postpoppavein, on 08 January 2019 - 11:32 AM, said:

 

They also seem to be the hardest to Specialize.  For me at least.


I can not speak to Russian or american bombers.

But this is very much the case for German Bombers.

Shooting down planes is a hard trick to do solo with a line that is defined by turrets that are barely sufficient for dispensing enough critical hits to mostly discourage pursuit from the few planes that can fly (or shoot up to) as high as #zeGermanz fly.

Though at 'that' height (3km+) getting points for Bombing stuff is also more RNG dependant than i am comfortable with.
 With #GermanAccuracy the bombs go where you want them to but you wanna be 2.5km or lower
  (until specialist gets you access to a bomb sight that shaves 30% off the drop dispersion :rolleyes:)

        


Prenzlau #55 Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:40 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 8154 battles
  • 848
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    12-14-2015

Moderated by Volier_Zcit  


Edited by Volier_Zcit, 09 January 2019 - 12:22 AM.

 

 

 

 


LMG #56 Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:42 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 2436 battles
  • 1,819
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostwylleEcoyote, on 08 January 2019 - 01:16 PM, said:

I can not speak to Russian or american bombers.

But this is very much the case for German Bombers.

Shooting down planes is a hard trick to do solo with a line that is defined by turrets that are barely sufficient for dispensing enough critical hits to mostly discourage pursuit from the few planes that can fly (or shoot up to) as high as #zeGermanz fly.

Though at 'that' height (3km+) getting points for Bombing stuff is also more RNG dependant than i am comfortable with.
 With #GermanAccuracy the bombs go where you want them to but you wanna be 2.5km or lower
  (until specialist gets you access to a bomb sight that shaves 30% off the drop dispersion :rolleyes:)

 

The Pe-2s can work well without specialization, but with specialization you should get better performance overall. The Fortresses go from decent/good to really good when you can bump that gunner range and lower the reload time on the ordnance. I don't have much experience with german bombers, but in theory, and from what I've heard, they become actually useable with specialization (which imo is a bad thing for anyone short on tokens), with the one exception being the He 111 that works quite well from the start :bajan:


This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

comtedumas #57 Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:44 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 6416 battles
  • 1,115
  • [FK] FK
  • Member since:
    04-11-2016

View PostEZP_MRKARP, on 08 January 2019 - 08:15 AM, said:

the only good bomber is a dead one

 

you tried that with me, and failed.  Perhaps you should learn how to do that pilot stuff.  

CorvusCorvax #58 Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:22 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 2664 battles
  • 2,676
  • [JG52] JG52
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Postcomtedumas, on 08 January 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

 

you tried that with me, and failed.  Perhaps you should learn how to do that pilot stuff.  

Sick burn.



HazeGrayUnderway #59 Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:21 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1814 battles
  • 219
  • Member since:
    03-13-2015

View PostBooze_Morgan, on 07 January 2019 - 11:05 PM, said:

How about the A 26B US premium?

 

A26B is an extremely versatile Bomber.

 

I have the equipment to make the bomb drops more accurate when I hang around at high altitudes.  However, if I feel the enemy team isn't keeping tabs on me like they should, A26B is dangerous in low level bombing.  Hug the terrain, fly fast and low, and slam caps with a quick strike, fly out, turn around, bombs rearm, and go in again.  Or if you got pursuit, fly off to another cap.  She's faster than the B17s.  Her rear facing turrets can also menace pursuing aircraft with a high enough gunner.

 

In addition, since she is high altitude capable, I've encountered other bombers at such heights and go after them with ease with the A26B.  Mind you, I don't make it my mission to specifically go out and hunt high altitude bombers as my primary goal, but if I do see one, I will hunt go after it.  I mean, why not?  I'm already up at 3km up in the air with them already.  Some pictures of my A26B going after B17s and a picture of me doing a low level attack at high speeds (latter type is an old one).

 

High Altitude Bombing is much safer but the speeds you travel are slower.  Low Altitude Bombing, you travel around the map much faster but you are more prone to attacks as even Spitfires and Zeroes can go after you.  If you weren't maintaining good enough speed and have enough Engine Boost to bail you out, you're in trouble.  Not to mention a number of Multirole Fighters have very heavy cannon arrangements.  However, with Low Altitude Bombing, your bomb drops are dead accurate.  You have to learn how to drop ahead of time and not be so low that the bombs damage you.  Once you get the hang of it, it's beautiful.

 

Hanging at High Altitude, though safer, is no guarantee of safety.  There are a good number of Heavy Fighter players that know how to deal with High Alt Bombers and they will get up to your altitude easily, close with you quickly, and have the raw cannon firepower to rip you apart.  There's not much you can do about it.  But the draw with High Altitude is that only a very specific set of planes can get to you, and even then, not all those high altitude fighters / heavy fighters have the desire to go after you.

 


Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 08 January 2019 - 10:23 PM.


comtedumas #60 Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:32 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 6416 battles
  • 1,115
  • [FK] FK
  • Member since:
    04-11-2016

Re: the A26B.

 

One of the best tactics if attacked by a heavy like the P38F or J is go to full boost, use your turrets to shoot him  (manually of course) and when you pop his engines quickly swing around and blow him out of the sky with those 6 .50 cal matching guns.  A lot of heavies have died that way when they have attacked me and I was in the A26B.  

 

While the bomb load is limited, you can boost reload down to the point you can almost always be ready to drop bombs.  It can be a real menace to the other team if flown right.  






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users