2.0.9 Feedback (tracers, HUD) 2 steps back, 0 steps forward

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Mercsn #1 Posted 26 December 2018 - 12:45 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1951 battles

I've seen WG go back and forth on the "tracer" graphic.  The current version is one of the worst (and they've tried it before -Russians have bad memory? can't do research of what didn't work previously?).  The "smoke trail" tracer is both stupid and it impedes gameplay.   I cringed when I saw the smoke "pencil trails" return.

* Problems with current "smoke trail" tracer graphic:

1)  The patch notes says reason for this graphic is "can now be easily discerned in battle and players can take appropriate evasive action depending on the danger to their aircraft." 

However, the smoke trail exists from time of firing gun throughout bullet lifespan.  The overall effect is that there is one long, continuous stream of "smoke trail" from the firing aircraft.  There is no percieved MOTION, it's just one solid stream of "smoke trail". They look like little floating pencils made of smoke. Bullet origin is MORE difficult to discern because you have to swivel your view to both ends of this "smoke streamer".  Sure, sometimes you can guess correctly, which end of the "smoke streamer" the bullets originate, but just as often, you'll look to one direction only to see ACTUAL tracers (little orange/yellow dots) flying off.  Then, you have to look back the other way to find the origin. 

2)  The smoke streamers obscure the ACTUAL tracers (orange/yellow dots).  So, for it makes aiming more difficult because you can't actually see the tracers clearly through all the smoke.

3)  Bullets don't leave smoke trails the way rockets do.  So, it looks stupid.

The reason WG removed the smoke trail or smoke streamer tracer graphic is because it makes it harder for target player to discern the origin of the attack and more difficult for the attacker to see where their tracers are going (ACTUAL tracers, not the [edited]smoke trails).

Do the devs even play this game?  It's a rhetorical question.  I know they don't.   It's easy to determine the devs don't play the game when you see stupid changes like these pencil or streamer smoke trails return.  It was a bad idea before.  It's still a bad idea now.  Go back to the simple tracer graphic with no smoke trail, it's better for players both defending from attack and trying to attack.  And, it doesn't look stupid. 

* Problems with new HUD pitch ladder graphic:

The pitch ladder on the HUD (heads up display) was moved over to the right side. Previously it was balanced in the middle of the HUD.  While having it occupy more of the HUD may add "clutter" to the screen, it was easier to look at because it was symmetrical. With if off to one side, the human eye naturally gets drawn to that.  Which defeats the point of having the information on the HUD where you can continue looking straight at your target.  I'm having to fight the natural tendency of the human eye to focus on the object that is asymmetrical and looks out of place.  If players don't like the more cluttered HUD with the pitch ladder on both sides, turn it off.  /facepalm. 

Or...wait for it...since you already had the previous graphic coded, JUST LEAVE IT IN AS A CHOICE.  Derp.  Do the devs not play the game?  Oh, wait. We covered that already. 

* Problems with buffing air defense aircraft (ADA) health (and maneuvering) and buffing AA:

You've already got too much bot/ai involvment in a player versus player ("PvP") game.  Increasing the strength of ADA and AA is taking away from player vs player action.  Combine this with the unbalanced bot ai and it really needs to be a co-op (all humans on one team, bots on the other) game because you are further chipping away at human contribution to the match.  You tried over powered AA previously and had to roll it back because it was stupid and prevented aerial combat (which a WWII combat planes game should be about).  Now, buffed ADA are in the same vein as buffed AA, and you've essentially doubled down on a bad idea that discourages aerial combat between players.

Do the devs even play this game?  I feel like this is a recurring question. 

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

trikke #2 Posted 26 December 2018 - 02:09 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2966 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

WG, the bullet smoke trail is just ridiculous

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

mnbv_fockewulfe #3 Posted 26 December 2018 - 03:16 AM

Captain

• 456 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Under normal circumstance, I'd agree with you.

But since I get 20fps on ultra low with reduced resolution, the new tracer effects actually allow to see the tracers.:unsure:

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

LMG #4 Posted 26 December 2018 - 03:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

I don't recall the ADAs getting a buff at all. But the AA was indeed already troublesome before the most recent buff. I don't even know exactly why it needs to get so much damage, it already rips GAAs apart if they don't take out those guns and fighters even more so. It doesn't even allow them to defend much better against those that do try to dodge it because... well, they can still dodge it. It doesn't help deal with GAAs that shoot them off because... well, they can still shoot them off. It doesn't help deal with Bombers because... well, Bombers don't take any more damage from them (the damage buff doesn't apply to bombers at all). So what exactly is the point? :amazed:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Master_Cylinder #5 Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:44 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 198 battles
  • [FK] FK

that is what happened to my tracers!!!!!

I have been using a mod tracer by Dr Sinister and with these last updates they pixelization is bad and my tracers which were white are now black.

Good going WG!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users