Surviving Spitfires...Impossible?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Captain_Rownd #1 Posted 25 December 2018 - 05:50 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 827 battles
Is the only answer just to stay away from any cap that's within reach of a fighter icon?  Superior turning, superior speed, superior guns...they seem to have everything.  I make a high speed diving pass on one for maybe a half-second burst that causes almost no damage and kept zooming on through, but it just turned instantly and parked on my tail at nearly 600.  They appear out of nowhere when you're trying to shoot something else down and it's game over.  Yesterday I got shot down 5 times in a row over two games by the same guy in a Spitfire. 

Edited by Captain_Rownd, 25 December 2018 - 05:50 AM.

SenatorTH #2 Posted 25 December 2018 - 06:07 AM

Master Sergeant

• 2583 battles

It's easy. Just kill them, and you'll have 15/30/45s of relax time, after that you'll have to kill them again..but wait! It's good, more frags, more personal points, Kozhedubs and Akamatsus dropping from the sky :)

Or fly a bomber.

At least 80% of those Spitfires, even specialized, have no clue how to drive it properly and can be killed even in downtiered_whatever_you_fly, so literally you have to be cautious only about ~every fifth of them :D

egikov #3 Posted 25 December 2018 - 06:22 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 2504 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

The tactics for surviving a Spitfire depends on a plane you are in. And then use advantages of your plane.

Spitfires are turn fighters, they can't keep the high speed for long, there are many fighters that out turn them, like Japanese light fighters and light Yaks.

If your plane is not as maneuverable, then you have several choices: keep higher altitude (at high altitude Spitfires become more slow), save your boost (for running away), then turn and go head on if you have more firepower. Spitfire has a lot of guns, but they are in wings and might miss, and cannons overheat fast.

If your plane has too low firepower for head on like P-51A, just kill high altitude targets and heavies, multiroles. If you see a Spitfire when you are at low/mid altitude get high and away, if you see him too close you are done. If Spitfires gets too high to you it will be almost standing still target, but they usually don't do this and stay lower.

If your plane is faster, then run way; if it follows press f7, try to save boost, try to head on (put some aiming skills on a pilot), try to put a bomb under it, rocket it, or just try to ram them.

vcharng #4 Posted 25 December 2018 - 08:59 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 3307 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 25 December 2018 - 05:50 AM, said:

Is the only answer just to stay away from any cap that's within reach of a fighter icon?  Superior turning, superior speed, superior guns...they seem to have everything.  I make a high speed diving pass on one for maybe a half-second burst that causes almost no damage and kept zooming on through, but it just turned instantly and parked on my tail at nearly 600.  They appear out of nowhere when you're trying to shoot something else down and it's game over.  Yesterday I got shot down 5 times in a row over two games by the same guy in a Spitfire. 

They do not have superior speed.

Use a HF and Spits are your toys.

Captain_Rownd #5 Posted 25 December 2018 - 09:41 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 827 battles

View Postegikov, on 25 December 2018 - 06:22 AM, said:

The tactics for surviving a Spitfire depends on a plane you are in. And then use advantages of your plane.

It feels like I'd probably get abused in just about anything I use.  After my recent experiences I wouldn't be surprised if you told me they had rocket packs in the tails, warp in between caps via hyperspace, and fire rail guns.  :D 

I tried diving in with a full head of steam for a hit-and-run in I-210 and Me 209, but after my pathetic moment of gunfire the Spitfires just turned around and pounded my tail before I could get far enough away.  I was shocked.  In Tanks terms it was a "bad trade", because I got about a half second of attack while in return they got to chew on my tail until I died.  (can't recall if I suffered critical damage in those, but I wasn't 100% hit points at that point)  I had to use some boost to initiate the attack while they were occupied shooting an ally before the opportunity was lost, so there wasn't enough boost left to save me after. 

Chuck_norris10 #6 Posted 25 December 2018 - 12:56 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 616 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

heh heh.

Dont get in a turn fight with one and if you go after one expect it to turn table and be on your 6 in an instant and then you better have some speed or a flightmate because you will not out maneuver one on your 6.  if the spits flying solo pick at him from a distance and if your in a beau you may as well just crash into the ground.

I have a lot of turn fighters and they all are basically the same except the spits on steroids.

I was getting taken out by a few 109e's and f4u's but they caught on to my ruse after a few games and took me out from distance and once a spits on a bomber or HV tail it takes a long time to kill off a skywhale and if they are unpatient like me will keep pounding shots into it untill it go's down so thats when you want to hunt a spit is when they are hunting someone else. They dont take damage well and and it only takes a few seconds of heavy caliber cannons to take one out.

on the other hand it is a gift plane and probably like this to get more people to buy santa bags in the hopes of getting one but im sure it will be nerfed in the future. A spit on someone elses tail is about the easiest kill you will get if they are intent on killing the plane they are tailing.I got two spits but the db is the insane one and now I know how to kill them and it's really not that hard.You have to be fairly close before his guns will hurt you so running away is an option and if you can draw him away from the battle and thats where a wingman comes in and it was pulled on me 3 times last night before I figured out what they were doing.

SpiritFoxMY #7 Posted 25 December 2018 - 03:10 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3262 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

My rule for dealing with Spits is "always go in with the energy advantage". That means have a lot of speed and boost going in because you'll need it getting out.

Spits have phenomenal sprint capacity so you can't expect to just dive or boost away from an equal or even slightly superior energy state - their boost is too powerful and their guns too long ranged. 

Instead, come in like a runaway train and blat him while he's distracted. When engaging in my 190s, my speed is practically redlined as soon as I get within gun range. That way all the boost in the world won't help him as you're already going too fast for him to catch you, especially if he was pointing in the wrong direction to start with.

The other way to hit him with an energy advantage is to bait him up. Spits have, again, an exceptional capability to perform well in excess of their supposed "altitude limit", but only if they had energy to spare to start with. 

So make them waste it by baiting them up at you and then drawing them upwards. They'll run out of boost and then you can turn the tables on them. Note - this only applies to the 80% of shitfire pilots out there. A good one will nurse his plane up towards you and shred you. You'll be able to tell the difference by how fast and aggressively he takes the climb: if he's pulling vertical straight at you - shitfire. If he's slowly angling up and closing steadily - head for the hills.

Also, don't take them head on - Spits have wonky ramming mechanics and ferocious firepower in a head to head. They can survive being rammed by anything short of a bomber or GAA as long as its about 50% hp - this includes heavy fighters (50/50 chances) and multiroles (80% of the time, its the Spit walking away from a ram) so try to avoid head ons unless you're confident your guns can get him before you hit.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Chuck_norris10 #8 Posted 25 December 2018 - 03:18 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 616 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 25 December 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

My rule for dealing with Spits is "always go in with the energy advantage". That means have a lot of speed and boost going in because you'll need it getting out.

Spits have phenomenal sprint capacity so you can't expect to just dive or boost away from an equal or even slightly superior energy state - their boost is too powerful and their guns too long ranged. 

Instead, come in like a runaway train and blat him while he's distracted. When engaging in my 190s, my speed is practically redlined as soon as I get within gun range. That way all the boost in the world won't help him as you're already going too fast for him to catch you, especially if he was pointing in the wrong direction to start with.

The other way to hit him with an energy advantage is to bait him up. Spits have, again, an exceptional capability to perform well in excess of their supposed "altitude limit", but only if they had energy to spare to start with. 

So make them waste it by baiting them up at you and then drawing them upwards. They'll run out of boost and then you can turn the tables on them. Note - this only applies to the 80% of shitfire pilots out there. A good one will nurse his plane up towards you and shred you. You'll be able to tell the difference by how fast and aggressively he takes the climb: if he's pulling vertical straight at you - shitfire. If he's slowly angling up and closing steadily - head for the hills.

Also, don't take them head on - Spits have wonky ramming mechanics and ferocious firepower in a head to head. They can survive being rammed by anything short of a bomber or GAA as long as its about 50% hp - this includes heavy fighters (50/50 chances) and multiroles (80% of the time, its the Spit walking away from a ram) so try to avoid head ons unless you're confident your guns can get him before you hit.

Very true and I cant believe the amount of rams I survived last night. You described it perfectly.

SpiritFoxMY #9 Posted 25 December 2018 - 03:22 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3262 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 25 December 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

It feels like I'd probably get abused in just about anything I use.  After my recent experiences I wouldn't be surprised if you told me they had rocket packs in the tails, warp in between caps via hyperspace, and fire rail guns.  :D 

I tried diving in with a full head of steam for a hit-and-run in I-210 and Me 209, but after my pathetic moment of gunfire the Spitfires just turned around and pounded my tail before I could get far enough away.  I was shocked.  In Tanks terms it was a "bad trade", because I got about a half second of attack while in return they got to chew on my tail until I died.  (can't recall if I suffered critical damage in those, but I wasn't 100% hit points at that point)  I had to use some boost to initiate the attack while they were occupied shooting an ally before the opportunity was lost, so there wasn't enough boost left to save me after. 

With the I-210 and Me-209, you'll want to keep it in the vertical: save your boost for the exit and just point the nose up at about a 45 degree angle straight along your line of travel. You'll take hits but you should be able to outpace him unless he's packing the boost consumable, at which point you'd better be packing as well...

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

egikov #10 Posted 25 December 2018 - 03:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 2504 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

I-210 and Me-209v are high altitude fighters. Keep your speed and altitude and stay away from Spitfires. 209v has really low firepower, but the speed of a heavy fighter.

Dru83 #11 Posted 25 December 2018 - 04:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2805 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Like egikov and Spirit said, keep it in the vertical with the Me-209 and I-210. Don't dive past the spit, pull up before you get to them. Use your boost and climb back up at the 45 degree angle (the angle indicators in the hud are so useful, I leave mine on all the time). Don't turn or even loop with a spit, but vertical hit and runs will quickly take care of one. The key is hitting them when they are low on energy (low in altitude or have just sprinted using boost), low on hp, or distracted with something else. They can work decently in a climb and can sprint quickly for short periods of time, but if they're in the middle of a turning dogfight, they'll have slowed down and won't be able to follow you for long after your hit and run and their altitude band is much lower than the 209 and I-210's so once they get up high, they won't be as fast.

Chuck, in your vid, it seemed like your spit wasn't turning as sharp as it could almost as if it was kind of wallowing around or as if you were fighting lag (though with fps in the 40s and ping of 1, that probably wasn't the case), what kind of controls are you using? Also, it seemed like you were holding down the trigger way too long. Many times you were just hitting targets with the MGs because the cannons overheated. If you're not using short bursts (1 second or less), the cannons overheat and then you are only using half your firepower. It was pretty funny watching your ally smash into you from the side and you flying off with 3/4 of your health still there.

Chuck_norris10 #12 Posted 25 December 2018 - 04:43 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 616 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostDru83, on 25 December 2018 - 09:22 AM, said:

Like egikov and Spirit said, keep it in the vertical with the Me-209 and I-210. Don't dive past the spit, pull up before you get to them. Use your boost and climb back up at the 45 degree angle (the angle indicators in the hud are so useful, I leave mine on all the time). Don't turn or even loop with a spit, but vertical hit and runs will quickly take care of one. The key is hitting them when they are low on energy (low in altitude or have just sprinted using boost), low on hp, or distracted with something else. They can work decently in a climb and can sprint quickly for short periods of time, but if they're in the middle of a turning dogfight, they'll have slowed down and won't be able to follow you for long after your hit and run and their altitude band is much lower than the 209 and I-210's so once they get up high, they won't be as fast.

Chuck, in your vid, it seemed like your spit wasn't turning as sharp as it could almost as if it was kind of wallowing around or as if you were fighting lag (though with fps in the 40s and ping of 1, that probably wasn't the case), what kind of controls are you using? Also, it seemed like you were holding down the trigger way too long. Many times you were just hitting targets with the MGs because the cannons overheated. If you're not using short bursts (1 second or less), the cannons overheat and then you are only using half your firepower. It was pretty funny watching your ally smash into you from the side and you flying off with 3/4 of your health still there.

Thats the bug where your guns keep firing and I was experimenting with the sensitivity on my logitech3d because of that plane.

Booze_Morgan #13 Posted 25 December 2018 - 04:52 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 247 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_
Y'all hush before the Spits get nerfed. All planes must be equal in the sissy's eyes, you know.

Martymart1976 #14 Posted 25 December 2018 - 05:46 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4532 battles
  • [FK] FK

Easy.....here's an easy way to survive any dive/head-on attack:  start a barrel roll one direction the feint to the other side, slow down, let plane shoot past you then get on its tail and kill it..easy peasy.  Now to may take some damage in the process but this tactic is effective about 75 percent of the time.  Spitfires and Zeros don't worry me, SPECIALIZED FLIGHTS of Spitfires and Zeros do though...

-Marty

Dru83 #15 Posted 25 December 2018 - 08:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2805 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Sure Marty, maybe you just survived the head on but good luck getting on the tail of a spit. Usually if it's a spit vs another turn fighter it'll just end up being a series of head on passes. Against a spit in a head on unless you are in a very turny plane, it's usually better to just keep on going full speed past him. Get outta dodge, then come back for another try once you've regained altitude and regened boost.

Hmm... haven't seen the bug where your guns keep firing yet... sounds fun...

Chuck_norris10 #16 Posted 25 December 2018 - 08:38 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 616 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostDru83, on 25 December 2018 - 01:22 PM, said:

Sure Marty, maybe you just survived the head on but good luck getting on the tail of a spit. Usually if it's a spit vs another turn fighter it'll just end up being a series of head on passes. Against a spit in a head on unless you are in a very turny plane, it's usually better to just keep on going full speed past him. Get outta dodge, then come back for another try once you've regained altitude and regened boost.

Hmm... haven't seen the bug where your guns keep firing yet... sounds fun...

It could be the lag and as long as I have played this game the replays always look different then the real match was. You see on my video the little white dot that lines up with sights? I have no idea what it is and I dont run mods but i dont see that in game but I do on replays.

On replays planes seem jerky and not anything like what you see in game and you can test that one yourself.it's like severe lag.

Ping also on replays always shows at 1

Captain_Rownd #17 Posted 25 December 2018 - 08:57 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 827 battles

View PostChuck_norris10, on 25 December 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

It could be the lag and as long as I have played this game the replays always look different then the real match was. You see on my video the little white dot that lines up with sights? I have no idea what it is and I dont run mods but i dont see that in game but I do on replays.

On replays planes seem jerky and not anything like what you see in game and you can test that one yourself.it's like severe lag.

Ping also on replays always shows at 1

Do you mean replaying the game file, or watching somebody's youtube game stream capture?  WG game file replay systems can be a little wonky sometimes.  Warships game file replays used to be pretty bad, but I haven't tried a Warships game file replay in recent years. 

Chuck_norris10 #18 Posted 25 December 2018 - 09:10 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 616 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 25 December 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

Do you mean replaying the game file, or watching somebody's youtube game stream capture?  WG game file replay systems can be a little wonky sometimes.  Warships game file replays used to be pretty bad, but I haven't tried a Warships game file replay in recent years. 

Well both replay and youtube show the white dot and I use fraps.

The shakin planes on replays come when you get shot down and are flying with someone else waiting for respawn.

So basically the plane handles and flys a lot better and smoother in a match then what you see on a replay.

Shots are landing most all the time in my match but replay shows the plane not in the bullet stream but still taking hits and on the replay it sometimes looks like your flying 3 sheets to the wind.

Captain_Rownd #19 Posted 25 December 2018 - 09:11 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 827 battles

View Postegikov, on 25 December 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

I-210 and Me-209v are high altitude fighters. Keep your speed and altitude and stay away from Spitfires. 209v has really low firepower, but the speed of a heavy fighter.

There's often nothing up there at high altitude to shoot at.  If I want to contribute to the cap battle I gotta shoot at enemies, so I was trying the "boom and zoom".  I zoomed, they boomed.  ;D  Sometimes they just appeared out of nowhere like ninja assassins.  Otherwise, flying across the entire battlefield searching for heavy fighter icons takes your guns out of the game for a looooooooong time.  (and turrets and tailgunners on big planes wreck things like I-210 and Me-209 fast)

But the problem with Spitfires is similar for lower altitude aircraft.  I fly everything in my hangar if I have time.  Spitfires just seem to be good at everything. 

Captain_Rownd #20 Posted 25 December 2018 - 09:21 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 827 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 25 December 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

With the I-210 and Me-209, you'll want to keep it in the vertical: save your boost for the exit and just point the nose up at about a 45 degree angle straight along your line of travel.

Not being able to use boost inbound makes it much harder to take advantage of an opportunity  :(  I thought boosting a bit on the dive I'd already be too fast for them to turn and catch, but that wasn't the case.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users