Similar arcade-ish combat flight shooter recommendations

Similar games GAA

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

vcharng #1 Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:14 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 3387 battles

Right, I think I'll post it here as this will heavily involve discussions about non-WOWP games (and especially potential competitors of WOWP).

I don't need anyone to persuade or un-persuade me, and I am genuinely thinking that the gaming environment in WOWP is growing hostile against GAA players.

So long story short: I am looking for a single-player version of WOWP.

The basic requirements are WWII, arcade, single player supported, and with ground attack gameplay.

The simulator-ish games like Warbirds and IL-2 (game, not plane) have been ruled out due to the lack of action density (i.e. in WOWP you fly 10 minutes, you get 10 minutes of action, in IL-2, probably 10 minutes in an hour)

I'm looking forward for suggestions. Although we may never fly again, I wish to express my gratitude to people who are willing to help a troubled fellow airman.

Thank you.

Captain_Underpants53 #2 Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:10 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18989 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

View Postvcharng, on 24 December 2018 - 04:14 AM, said:

Right, I think I'll post it here as this will heavily involve discussions about non-WOWP games (and especially potential competitors of WOWP).

I don't need anyone to persuade or un-persuade me, and I am genuinely thinking that the gaming environment in WOWP is growing hostile against GAA players.

So long story short: I am looking for a single-player version of WOWP.

The basic requirements are WWII, arcade, single player supported, and with ground attack gameplay.

The simulator-ish games like Warbirds and IL-2 (game, not plane) have been ruled out due to the lack of action density (i.e. in WOWP you fly 10 minutes, you get 10 minutes of action, in IL-2, probably 10 minutes in an hour)

I'm looking forward for suggestions. Although we may never fly again, I wish to express my gratitude to people who are willing to help a troubled fellow airman.

Thank you.

There are ways to speed up the gameplay in IL-2.  It has its charms but that steep learning curve is killer. 

If you find another game please inform us all.

:medal:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

DrSinister #3 Posted 24 December 2018 - 03:18 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 121 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Here are a few games on Steam, they are older, but they do fit the Arcade style, Single Player (they do have multiplayer support), similar to WoWp, WWII.

Combat Wings: Battle of Britain

Air Conflicts: Secret Wars

Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers

Dogfight 1942

Flying Tigers: Shadows Over China

Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders  This one is a Phone port to PC, I use to play this on the phone not a bad game.

vcharng #4 Posted 25 December 2018 - 01:22 AM

• 3387 battles

View PostDrSinister, on 24 December 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

Here are a few games on Steam, they are older, but they do fit the Arcade style, Single Player (they do have multiplayer support), similar to WoWp, WWII.

Combat Wings: Battle of Britain

Air Conflicts: Secret Wars

Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers

Dogfight 1942

Flying Tigers: Shadows Over China

Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders  This one is a Phone port to PC, I use to play this on the phone not a bad game.

Thanks, but that's practically the same list I've checked...

I just bought Dogfight 1942 yesterday as it's on sale (about 10 USD for everything including DLCs), and the problem is that it doesn't include ground/sea attack outside of fixed campaigns.

Same for SG:SR, its air-to-ground gameplay is lacking.

I even went as far as trying to figure out a way to mod Ravenfield into a WOWP replica... but it's deemed too difficult.

Looks like currently my best bet is to wait until Total Tank Simulator is released. According to the demo version, although it's a sandbox RTS-ish stuff, it does allow you to manually control single units, including aircrafts.

And I've been having lots of fun using Me 262's rockets to shoot out KVs already.

egikov #5 Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:24 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 3125 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
You can buy Heliborne. Helicopters mostly do ground attack now.

vcharng #6 Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:07 AM

• 3387 battles

View Postegikov, on 15 January 2019 - 04:24 PM, said:

You can buy Heliborne. Helicopters mostly do ground attack now.

I did mention "WWII" in the criteria, eh?

Though, I know Heliborne is a good game, I owned it before I played WOWP.

And now I have owned all the helos and loadouts.

Thanks for suggesting, though.

Edited by vcharng, 25 February 2019 - 02:07 AM.

trikke #7 Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:31 AM

First Lieutenant

• 3064 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postvcharng, on 24 December 2018 - 08:22 PM, said:

I even went as far as trying to figure out a way to mod Ravenfield into a WOWP replica... but it's deemed too difficult.

Looks like currently my best bet is to wait until Total Tank Simulator is released. According to the demo version, although it's a sandbox RTS-ish stuff, it does allow you to manually control single units, including aircrafts.

small world      i had tons of fun with both R-field and TTS!

but it's been more than a year since i've run either one

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

vcharng #8 Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:42 AM

• 3387 battles

View Posttrikke, on 25 February 2019 - 03:31 AM, said:

small world      i had tons of fun with both R-field and TTS!

but it's been more than a year since i've run either one

Well TTS hasn't been released, so there isn't much to play (as only demo exists)

Ravenfield has seen some massive enhancements (fall damage, go prone, smoke etc) though.

vcharng #9 Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:21 AM

• 3387 battles

By the way, has anyone here played IL-2 BoS?

It has a "career mode" which does include fighter, attacker and bomber, but I'm not sure if I can play it with mouse.

I believe the realism problem can be solved, and actually as a Flight Simulator 2000/2004 veteran I think I can take "some" of those extreme realism stuff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users