Black screen instead of login screen *every other time* I attempt to load

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Zoney45 #1 Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:57 PM

Master Sergeant

• 952 battles

Here's what happens: I load the game, login, then exit. The next time I attempt to load the game, instead of going to the login page I get a black screen that forces me to alt-tab out and close out using the task-bar from the Windows desktop. Then if I load the game again I can log in normally, but after exiting I get the black screen again, etc etc.

What seems to be happening is the "emblems" folder keeps getting emptied upon exiting the game -- this is the folder found in the AppData\Roaming\wargaming.net\World of Warplanes directory.

So, every other time it needs to repopulate it then forces the black-screen error until forcing the shut-down and restarting again. If you can follow all that.

This behavior persists even immediately after yet another complete uninstall and re-install, including wiping the wargaming.net folders and using CCleaner before re-installing.

I have not yet flown a mission since the roll-out of this "update." It's buggy from the word go. If I was brand-new and experienced this behavior, I'd have simply left and uninstalled and been done with it. Not a favorable roll-out.

Edited by Zoney45, 22 December 2018 - 12:23 AM.

Chuck_norris10 #2 Posted 22 December 2018 - 02:30 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1276 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostZoney45, on 21 December 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

Here's what happens: I load the game, login, then exit. The next time I attempt to load the game, instead of going to the login page I get a black screen that forces me to alt-tab out and close out using the task-bar from the Windows desktop. Then if I load the game again I can log in normally, but after exiting I get the black screen again, etc etc.

What seems to be happening is the "emblems" folder keeps getting emptied upon exiting the game -- this is the folder found in the AppData\Roaming\wargaming.net\World of Warplanes directory.

So, every other time it needs to repopulate it then forces the black-screen error until forcing the shut-down and restarting again. If you can follow all that.

This behavior persists even immediately after yet another complete uninstall and re-install, including wiping the wargaming.net folders and using CCleaner before re-installing.

I have not yet flown a mission since the roll-out of this "update." It's buggy from the word go. If I was brand-new and experienced this behavior, I'd have simply left and uninstalled and been done with it. Not a favorable roll-out.

Thanks,I reported this last night and they edited my post right out.I,m sitting here wondering if i should try fly tonight or will I experience the same thing. Biggest waste of time ever.This behavior persists even immediately after yet another complete uninstall and re-install, including wiping the wargaming.net folders and using CCleaner before re-installing.

Edited by Chuck_norris10, 22 December 2018 - 02:32 AM.

Chuck_norris10 #3 Posted 22 December 2018 - 02:54 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1276 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP
cc cleaner has not once ever cured a problem in this game in over 20.000 matches for me so not sure why they push it unless they partnered up with them. I'm gonna try a few flights but im not going through the stress i did last night. The game locks up and dcs world works fine.

Zoney45 #4 Posted 22 December 2018 - 04:42 AM

Master Sergeant

• 952 battles

View PostChuck_norris10, on 22 December 2018 - 02:54 AM, said:

cc cleaner has not once ever cured a problem in this game in over 20.000 matches for me so not sure why they push it unless they partnered up with them.

I know, I installed it on my Windows 7 PC for the very first time the day of this "update" based on WG recommendations regarding how to "properly" re-install this game.

I occasionally used CCleaner registry "fixer" on my old XP machine when nVidia drivers supposedly left registry traces behind during driver updates (I think it's superfluous even on XP machines; as I understand it you can have all sorts of unused registry entries even on XP and it's not really ever a problem; but I've been wrong before).

Edited by Zoney45, 22 December 2018 - 04:45 AM.

Chuck_norris10 #5 Posted 22 December 2018 - 06:28 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1276 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostZoney45, on 21 December 2018 - 09:42 PM, said:

I know, I installed it on my Windows 7 PC for the very first time the day of this "update" based on WG recommendations regarding how to "properly" re-install this game.

I occasionally used CCleaner registry "fixer" on my old XP machine when nVidia drivers supposedly left registry traces behind during driver updates (I think it's superfluous even on XP machines; as I understand it you can have all sorts of unused registry entries even on XP and it's not really ever a problem; but I've been wrong before).

I specifically told the computer guy i wanted win 7 on my build. My laptop is win 10 and i hate it.

Zoney45 #6 Posted 22 December 2018 - 06:59 AM

Master Sergeant

• 952 battles

View PostChuck_norris10, on 22 December 2018 - 06:28 AM, said:

I specifically told the computer guy i wanted win 7 on my build. My laptop is win 10 and i hate it.

Bingo. I go out of my way to avoid Win 10.

Zoney45 #7 Posted 22 December 2018 - 07:50 AM

Master Sergeant

• 952 battles

UPDATE: here's more breakdown on what is happening -- since the update the game now requires the "emblems" folder to be emptied before a newly launched session can proceed to the login phase. However, once you're logged in and exit back out it is not properly clearing that "emblems" folder.

(It doesn't matter how you exit, whether exiting from the menu while in the hangar, or disconnecting from server and hitting the "x" in the upper corner, or alt-tabbing and manually closing out the taskbar icon -- it leaves items in the "emblems" folder which the game now does not like.)

The next time you attempt to start, the game loads but then switches to a black screen where you cannot proceed to the login phase. During this black screen the "emblems" folder is then emptied, but you are forced to alt-tab out and close from taskbar or task manager. Now, because the "emblems" folder is empty, it will allow you to login on the next launch.

Rinse, repeat.

This is going to be particularly frustrating on the occasions we all experience where you get a black screen or flight-control malfunction during a mission, and are frantically attempting to close out and re-launch as quickly as possible.

For now I have decided to place a shortcut on the desktop to the "emblems" folder so as to manually empty it -- it will be a little faster than waiting for the game to load, getting sent to the blank screen, alt-tabbing out, closing from taskbar, waiting for it to properly close (sometimes it hangs on close and brings up a "close now" Windows prompt), and then restarting, waiting for it to load again, finally logging in....

What fun it is.

ADMINS, is any of this "bug reporting" being addressed or are we just talking to ourselves here? I also put in another trouble-ticket but got no response.

Edited by Zoney45, 22 December 2018 - 07:59 AM.

blindfoId #8 Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Administrator
  • 8 battles
I've filed and passed along all reports. Some of the issues have been resolved on Friday's restart, some of them will be fixed next week, others are being investigated. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users