Advice for Getting Someone off your six?

help

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

27cricket27 #1 Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:19 AM

Airman Basic

• 10 battles
Hi! So I am very new to this game. I play War Thunder, but I have always had a interest in this game, especially after WoWP 2.0 was released. Finally I decided to play. I have done pretty good so far, but I have trouble when someone gets on my six. Any tips?

SpiritFoxMY #2 Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:54 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4129 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Map your manual controls for roll and rudder in the same way you would in War Thunder. The easiest way to throw a pursuer is a hard snap roll with full rudder and aileron. Done correctly, not only will you force an overshoot, you can make a slower turning plane (like a Boomerang) outmaneuver a faster turning plane (like a Zero) in a dogfight.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

27cricket27 #3 Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:00 AM

Airman Basic

• 10 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 10 December 2018 - 03:54 AM, said:

Map your manual controls for roll and rudder in the same way you would in War Thunder. The easiest way to throw a pursuer is a hard snap roll with full rudder and aileron. Done correctly, not only will you force an overshoot, you can make a slower turning plane (like a Boomerang) outmaneuver a faster turning plane (like a Zero) in a dogfight.

Okay, will try this! :great::great:

Reitousair #4 Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:10 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 9425 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Shaking people depends on your aircraft but usually I'll try to do canopy rolls if I have the speed to run away.

Against similarly maneuverable and fast planes (or just outright the same plane) full manual is pretty useful, but usually I'll attempt to turn towards the enemy while rolling and inverting multiple times, it's a bit awkward but it lets you break out of it at any point and set yourself up for a proper dogfight while also making it hard for people to take aim at you.

Against planes that are both faster and more maneuverable, basically just do as Spirit said and perform a snap roll to try and force an overshoot.

Keep in mind though that this game has extremely powerful aim assistance on some weapons/aircraft which means despite pulling wild maneuvers you can still take a considerable amount of damage, there's no real outright dodging blows in WoWp but your healthpool can compensate for that.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

_A_3_ #5 Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:11 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 56 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
Bomb

J311yfish #6 Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2073 battles
  • [343] 343

Captain Obvious, reporting for duty!

The best way to keep someone off your six -- is to have situational awareness such that they do not get there in the first place.  You are most vulnerable to inattention when you are zeroing in on someone.  If you are in a maneuverable aircraft and can afford the time in a fray, try to not move for too long in a predictable manner.  Assume that someone has your number and move before you give them too much to shoot at.  The sooner you learn this, the better.

Also, pay attention to bot behavior and you will find that as you chase one, another will be turning to face you, coordinating an attack when you are vulnerable.  Be ready for that.

Tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  //  ITALY    FRANCE  //  SWEDEN    Finland (skins// International

Historical projects:  UNITED STATES   GERMANY  •  Poland  //  USSR  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial How to ignore forum posts and signatures

Prenzlau #7 Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:31 PM

• 9093 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

If someone is behind you and shooting at you, I like to keep it as simple as possible. Just type in "Shoo! Go away!" Or if you really want them to leave you alone, type in cap letters "SHOO! GO AWAY! I MEAN IT!" This is as good as any other advice, trust me.

Prenzlau

nwlxn12 #8 Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:40 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1408 battles

Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken #9 Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:40 PM

Master Sergeant

• 181 battles

View PostPrenzlau, on 10 December 2018 - 04:31 PM, said:

If someone is behind you and shooting at you, I like to keep it as simple as possible. Just type in "Shoo! Go away!" Or if you really want them to leave you alone, type in cap letters "SHOO! GO AWAY! I MEAN IT!" This is as good as any other advice, trust me.

Prenzlau

do you realise how long it takes me to type those words,the game would be over!

Edited by Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken, 10 December 2018 - 08:42 PM.

Dru83 #10 Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:17 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2994 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

So, the folks above have pretty much covered it in the simplest of terms. Basically there's 3 ways to get someone off your six. Knowing what kind of plane you have and what kind of plane they have is essential to knowing which one to pick.

So, if you have an aircraft that is more maneuverable you can out turn the enemy in the vertical or horizontal plane. If you have a plane like the Spitfire, or something in the Japanese Army or Navy line, you can easily out turn other aircraft by turning hard in a single direction, slowing down by using flaps/cutting throttle, and using your rudder to cut inside the enemy's turning circle (this is called a Low Yo-yo). If you are using keyboard and mouse, it can help to assign a keyboard key to pitch up. Pressing a pitch up key while turning ensures that you are turning as hard as possible. If you have a aircraft that is more maneuverable in the vertical plane, like the 109 or mustang, you can use a Immelman (half loop and half roll) or a Split S (half roll then diving half loop) to quickly reverse direction on a less maneuverable plane.

If you have a fast plane, you can run away from the enemy on your tail. You might jink (random maneuvers), skid (a sideways rudder movement), or barrel roll to make them miss while you run away. Bear in mind that those maneuvers do slow you down which can make it harder to run away. Some planes are faster in a dive, some are faster in a straight line, and some can out climb their opponents, so it is important to know what your plane is good at.

And finally, if you have a plane that can slow down quickly, you can pull the above videoed "Top Gun" maneuver. "I'm bringing him closer Merlin!" "You're gonna do WHAT?!?" So, if you can't out run the enemy or out turn them, sometimes you can make them overshoot you by suddenly slowing down your aircraft. I did this the other day in my XF4F, which is a plane that can't turn and if you run out of speed in it, you're done for. However, I was able to hit the flaps and cut throttle and the enemy shot out in front of me and died in a burst of .50 cal bullets. In addition to suddenly hitting flaps and cutting the throttle, you can also pull up and push the rudder hard over to suddenly slow and then skid out of the way. This is the most fun when flying a ground attack airplane, because you can usually get the enemy to either crash into you and kill themselves, or get so close that you can kill them by dropping a bomb. One maneuver that can help you force an over shoot when flying a more maneuverable plane is called a scissors. This means constantly changing the direction of your turn while slowing down your plane. If your plane can roll faster than the enemy, this rapid changing of direction can force an overshoot. Be advised that any time you reverse a turn, you are opening yourself to an attack, so if your plane can't change direction fast enough, they will shoot you down.

So, in conclusion, you can out turn them, out run them, or make them over shoot you. Hope that helps and keep your head on a swivel out there so no one gets on your six in the first place.

Edited by Dru83, 10 December 2018 - 09:22 PM.

BB3_Oregon_Steel #11 Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:22 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 793 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

Cenotaph #12 Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3307 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostSomebody, on 10 December 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

Back when I first started playing, I was looking at a player in PTs Bar n' Grill and found myself jaw agape at their stats...

This person from HVAR had quite intimidating numbers, and I found myself thinking "I hope I don't end up fighting them any time soon"... so, naturally when I hit battle around 1 min later, there they are.

Knowing they were an immediate threat to me, I kept my eyes open... aaand shot them down twice in rapid succession.

Afterwards I said "Shoo!" in all chat, they said ok...  "o7"s were exchanged and we went about the rest of the match not worrying about each other.

So, yeah... "Shoo!" is a valid tactic... under limited circumstances.   :unsure:   

Edited by Cenotaph, 11 December 2018 - 04:25 AM.

I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

Prenzlau #13 Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:40 AM

• 9093 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCenotaph, on 10 December 2018 - 10:18 PM, said:

Back when I first started playing, I was looking at a player in PTs Bar n' Grill and found myself jaw agape at their stats...

This person from HVAR had quite intimidating numbers, and I found myself thinking "I hope I don't end up fighting them any time soon"... so, naturally when I hit battle around 1 min later, there they are.

Knowing they were an immediate threat to me, I kept my eyes open... aaand shot them down twice in rapid succession.

Afterwards I said "Shoo!" in all chat, they said ok...  "o7"s were exchanged and we went about the rest of the match not worrying about each other.

So, yeah... "Shoo!" is a valid tactic... under limited circumstances.   :unsure:   

Of course I was using satire and irony to make an attempt to be funny. I will admit though that I have tried to tell other players to get away, which almost always does not work, but at least I did give a warning before I opened fire. I'll have to experiment some more with the "Shoo Tactic". Thanks for your insight.

Prenzlau

comtedumas #14 Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6536 battles
  • [FK] FK
A bomb works pretty well, too.  

Dell Inspiron 5675 Ryzen 1700X

32 GB Ram

500Gb Samsung Evo 960 game drive

Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD - CT250MX500SSD4

AMD RX 580 8GB video card.  

GonerNL #15 Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 891 battles
A bomb at 1000 meters works about as well as "Shoo!" ...
Flying on NA and EU servers

comtedumas #16 Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6536 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostGonerNL, on 11 December 2018 - 04:43 AM, said:

A bomb at 1000 meters works about as well as "Shoo!" ...

go lower, then.  He didn’t specify an altitude.  Or he could do an Immelmann,   Or a split S.  

Edited by comtedumas, 11 December 2018 - 03:54 PM.

Dell Inspiron 5675 Ryzen 1700X

32 GB Ram

500Gb Samsung Evo 960 game drive

Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD - CT250MX500SSD4

AMD RX 580 8GB video card.  

Also tagged with help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users