What is the cutoff to not be a noob no more?

cutoff noob

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Captain_Underpants53 #1 Posted 09 December 2018 - 08:21 PM

First Lieutenant

• 19706 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

About an hour ago I had a battle with 7 players on each side.  Great!  Well, we lost big time.  I got curious and checked the stats on each player.

11 of them had around 250 battles or less.  7 had around 100 battles or less.  This was on Tier VI!

Why do guys with 25 or 31, or even 49, battles think they are ready for Tier VI?  BTW, the scoring lined up completely with what you would expect by the number of battles. 

In my opinion, there was only 3 of us belonging on that tier.  Me and two guys with around 650 battles each.

So it looks to me like we don't need to go down to the lower tiers to club seals.  They are coming to us!

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Bobby_Tables #2 Posted 09 December 2018 - 08:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6284 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

While a lower tier, I had someone in a Fw 189 GA screaming into text chat that he was going after the bomber flight.

Thought he was trolling until I spotted him way below the bombers trying to get up.  

To directly answer your question, depends on the player.  Some pick it up right away, others, like me, it takes about 1000++ battles.  

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 09 December 2018 - 08:27 PM.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #3 Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:01 PM

Captain

• 974 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

I'd say when you stop talking to bots

that would be your graduation

flip yer tassel lil laddie

:medal:

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

mnbv_fockewulfe #4 Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:03 PM

Captain

• 518 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

In the old game, I'd say the generally understood minimum to stop being a noob was 1,000 battles. This doesn't mean you were an ace after 1,000 battles, it just means you were no longer a noob. Proficiency required a total of 2,000 battles or more for some people.

This steep learning curve (of around 83 hours of gameplay) contributed to the demise of the game and it's failure to hold onto new players.

The learning curve's slope has decreased drastically, with the noob limit being a mere in comparison dozen hours or so.

You'd think this be a good thing for the game, but it isn't.

The failure being that it only takes a few hours to master all of the flying and shooting mechanics in the game. There is no layering of dogfighting and gunner mechanics, meaning the fundamentals you learn as a noob are all that you get for the rest of the time you play the game.

"Then why do players with low battle counts still do so horribly?"

There are several possibilities.

-They're a bunch of 8 yearolds with very little gaming experience

-JK kidding about the first one

-The game makes up in it's simplicity in core mechanics by having complex nonessential mechanics (the conquest gamemode's rules are far too complex for new players, and now with specialization, the gap between noob and ace is spread even wider).

That's my take on it anyway. 

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

HoujuuNue #5 Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:10 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7909 battles
  • [PZMOE] PZMOE
70% win rate

Captain_Underpants53 #6 Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:29 PM

First Lieutenant

• 19706 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 09 December 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

Good point!

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Cenotaph #7 Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3307 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 09 December 2018 - 01:01 PM, said:

I've seen recruiters for large, active clans, attempt to engage a bot that said it was looking for a clan...  :facepalm:

View PostHoujuuNue, on 09 December 2018 - 01:10 PM, said:

70% win rate

Nah, plenty of noobs have 70% or higher... seriously.

Edited by Cenotaph, 09 December 2018 - 09:36 PM.

I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

trikke #8 Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:55 PM

Captain

• 3185 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

around 600-700, pilot tendencies become automatic reflexes, i guess

in my case, those tendencies were mostly poor decisions made again and again 

hard to break them at this point, sadly      but not impossible! 

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #9 Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2395 battles

Dunno, still am.

View PostCenotaph, on 09 December 2018 - 07:35 PM, said:

I've seen recruiters for large, active clans, attempt to engage a bot that said it was looking for a clan...

I thought it was folks looking for a laugh, until I saw it happen twice during a session.

"If they don't chase you after a mile, they don't chase ya.... Maybe it's two miles...."   ---   "You wanna play it soft, we'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard, let's play it hard."

5801234590.png

''Under control? You're grabbing a f**king bazooka, you dumba**!''

Capture Points & You --- Graphic Settings Explored --- Grinding Tokens; Not so Daily Missions --- Ground Targets & Mission Types in 2.0 --- Equipment 2.0.5; Huh?

LMG #10 Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

In my case, for GAAs (maybe bombers too?) I consider it based off merit since you can actually measure it. If someone can capture any sector on their own without dying to either AA or ADAs, then they've got the basic grasp of ground pounding. If they understand which sectors are often worth more and can defend themselves to a degree of success (say about 50% chance of survival when intercepted), then they're at about an intermediate level. If they can make good strategic decisions on which sectors to engage and avoid unnecessary combat, they're advanced. If on top of all that they can capture any sector while at critical health (the minimum your HP will autoheal), and know which ground targets are worth more than others, then you've got an expert ground pounder. Not only can this give you a basic understanding of a player's overall skill for ground pounding, it also can be used for each plane individually to know how well you can fly it (albeit some GAAs and even Bombers have an easier time than others, but from my experience they all can cap eventually).

I use these "goals" instead of raw stats because for GAAs the stats and the actual gameplay can be counter-intuitive. If you count buildings and ground targets destroyed, then you rule out the players that get quick caps by taking out the minimum amount of stuff they need to get a cap. Win rate is too volatile in a 12v12 enviroment, not including bot RNG. If you count numbers of battles you include people with minimal GAA experience, but that can fly a Fighter with their eyes closed. So this system is what I settled in :bajan:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

BuffaloTime #11 Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:57 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 10808 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostHoujuuNue, on 09 December 2018 - 04:10 PM, said:

70% win rate

I am forever to be a noob. And also, those better than you will always think you are a noob.

Anecdote:

When I was in Navy boot camp, my brother and I joined at the same time. He got a foot infection and got set back two weeks. They allowed me to visit him in his barracks just before I graduated. The guys in his company acted like I was a war veteran because I had two more weeks of experience than them in boot camp. Two Weeks!

Noob is relative.

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.
Damon Runyon

Demons run when a good man goes to war.

Deltavee #12 Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:04 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2438 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

I agree with Bobby.  I've seen a few players in the past few weeks with under 70 games that go through battles spreading destruction and despair like they invented it.  Some pick it up easily and compete strongly with under 100 games.  Others can still be considered newbs with 700-1,000 games under their belts.  I don't think there is a clear dividing line in any of the disciplines since there are large variations in the talent of the players and their desire to become proficient in the game.

In the end proficiency is the final arbiter in my eyes and there is no way to pick an specific point in the education of a player that they have to surpass.  It's a variable.

Deltavee

Sic Itur Ad Astra

Such is the pathway to the stars

Flying NA and EU

cobra_marksman #13 Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:04 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6298 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

What is the cutoff to not be a noob no more?...…. Don't worry.....you'll always be a Noob to us :D

Cenotaph #14 Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3307 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
Speaking of people I've seen try to recruit bots...       ↑       :P
I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

sandtiger #15 Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 20013 battles

there is no cut off for that  sadly

any one that thinks your skill are lacking or your have a bad game

may need there ego stroked so they start throwing  out the noob comment 

to make their  own egos feel better

many gamer s are guilty of this sadly

but i Believe that there is always some thing new to learn

so in a way everyone can be new at every level

and with every new plane .. but again this is my opinion

have a good day

sandtiger #16 Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 20013 battles

i well say this i AM A nooB i have more then 13,356 battles at the time of this post ... under my belt

but i am still learning ... there are some  moves the experts pilots  do where i am  like ok 

how the blank did  he/she  pull that off i have that plane and can not do that ...

so till the day this stop happening to me i well say i am a noob

Greg_Pattinson #17 Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:10 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 15218 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

if you have to ask...… :)

BB3_Oregon_Steel #18 Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:56 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 970 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

I'll let you know when I get there!!

Until then my low tier tushy will be sitting in my P-12!!  :playing:

I also promise on a pile of burnt out cylinder rings that I will never purchase a premium aircraft of a tier I haven't been able to reach on my own (except for the Mustang I which I just couldn't resist ... sorry)  :honoring:

Beyond that, no promises.  :great:

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel, 10 December 2018 - 02:59 AM.

"Don't mess with me because I can squish you like a bug, that is If I should decide to notice your existence in the first place".  

Yes, it's haughty and its arrogant but you're a battleship with 16 inch guns and Britannia Rules the Waves.  Maybe a bit of arrogance in this case is appropriate.  

Captain_Underpants53 #19 Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:20 AM

First Lieutenant

• 19706 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

View PostBB3_Oregon_Steel, on 09 December 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

I'll let you know when I get there!!

Until then my low tier tushy will be sitting in my P-12!!  :playing:

I also promise on a pile of burnt out cylinder rings that I will never purchase a premium aircraft of a tier I haven't been able to reach on my own (except for the Mustang I which I just couldn't resist ... sorry)  :honoring:

Beyond that, no promises.  :great:

Try the I-5.  Rules Tier I.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

SpiritFoxMY #20 Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:06 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4462 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I go by the Jingles measure and say noob is who you are, not what you are. A "new player" and a "noob" are two very different thing and the dividing line is a willingness to learn and an openess to criticism.

A guy can not be a noob from his first flight and there are people on this very forum who are eternally noobs despite having over 10k games

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 10 December 2018 - 05:08 AM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Also tagged with cutoff, noob

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users