generic T10 heavy vs. generic T10 light... 50/50 WR?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

trikke #1 Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:11 PM

Major

• 5178 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

first off... o7 Lucky Breeze

i got pummeled twice in a row by Lucky Breeze in a specced Javelin, while i was flying my specced p.1101      we were the only humans

putting aside the obvious fact that he's a much better pilot, i still thought that i had a decent chance

and again, putting aside the plus/deltas of specific planes... wouldn't a LF have a slight edge on a heavy in T10?

in addition, he was mostly just flying around doing his job, but i was mos def headhunting him...    could that have been a factor?

generic heavy = slightly faster, slightly more powerful guns, more hps       

generic LF = much more maneuverable, guns certainly up to the job of killing any same tier heavies

but when i engaged, he snuffed me like i was a butterfly 

don't get me wrong, i love all tiers of heavies 

in general, in all tiers, would a generic human in a generic heavy beat a generic human in a generic light?    or vice versa?   or 50/50?

show your work

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

GonerNL #2 Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1769 battles

Interesting ... like to see some opinions.

At the moment I can choose between purchasing the Yak-19 or the F2H Banshee.

Maneuverability vs speed.

My experience is that in a turnfighter I get bounced a lot by those fast jets like 262.

Might go for speed (and the altitude !). And the Banshee is a damn sexy plane !!

Edited by GonerNL, 08 December 2018 - 03:57 PM.

Flying on EU, NA, ASIA and CIS servers

mnbv_fockewulfe #3 Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:00 PM

Captain

• 661 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

The HF wins (bar oddities in the game's mechanics,which I will get into later).

Here's why:

HF

Speed +

Altitude +

Firepower +

Health +

Agility -

LF 

Speed -

Altitude -

Firepower -

Health -

Agility +

There is only one situation in which the LF will win, and four where the HF wins.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

CorvusCorvax #4 Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:09 PM

Major

• 5150 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 08 December 2018 - 05:00 PM, said:

The HF wins (bar oddities in the game's mechanics,which I will get into later).

Here's why:

HF

Speed +

Altitude +

Firepower +

Health +

Agility -

LF 

Speed -

Altitude -

Firepower -

Health -

Agility +

There is only one situation in which the LF will win, and four where the HF wins.

^^^this

It's also about the pilot.  You have to know when you have the advantage, and when you don't.  You don't press an attack when you don't have the advantage.  Low altitude, no boost, low HP?  LF heaven. 

This is one of the reasons I like flying HFs.  In general, I get to dictate the conditions for the engagement (not always).  And if I get to dictate, then I choose conditions which are favorable to me.  In trikke's example, the Javelin pilot didn't play turny games.  So, trikke lost.

NovaTempest #5 Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8564 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 08 December 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

^^^this

It's also about the pilot.  You have to know when you have the advantage, and when you don't.  You don't press an attack when you don't have the advantage.  Low altitude, no boost, low HP?  LF heaven. 

This is one of the reasons I like flying HFs.  In general, I get to dictate the conditions for the engagement (not always).  And if I get to dictate, then I choose conditions which are favorable to me.  In trikke's example, the Javelin pilot didn't play turny games.  So, trikke lost.

I really struggled with this initially with the German HF line, the first HF line i went down. I was too focused on simply trying to sledgehammer enemy aircraft. When I first played through the Bf 110's, the game was still in pre-2.0.

After 2.0 hit I got to the Bf 109 Z, Which despite the slow gun shells was the second most maneuverable HF in the game at the time that i first had it. (now its the 3rd, with the Ki-45 and Ki-102 tying for most turnable and the OP XF5U being the 2nd best.)

I hit a slog with the Me 262, which felt like a pain in the a** to fly, and I despised how hard it was to land shots effectively, not being able to turn well enough to at least maintain the lead on your target for several seconds really threw off my game. When I finally reached the HG II, The guns became more forgiving with the MG 213/30s, but still tedious due to still having somewhat slow shell speeds.

I think the only reason I now have stabilized my performance in the HG II when I fly it is because of the new equipment system. Without it, my HG II would probably still be a hangar-trophy. That said I still feel like I have much to improve on with the plane, though I feel like I went a slightly oddball path with upgrading it. I still have my HG II because in practicality terms, I hate the fact the HG III lacks R4Ms, as they have saved my rear end a few times from nasty head-on collisions in the HG II, and swatted smaller, more agile planes out of the air... :trollface:

bradk62 #6 Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6457 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 08 December 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

^^^this

Agreed.  It's all about managing your engagement. 

The pancake is my favorite heavy.  Mined is spec'd with Long Barrels - Ultimate.  I can generally destroy LFs before they even get in their own firing range so my preferred attack is from a far distance, head on .

Same LF gets on my tail I'm done, nothing I can do.  Teammates generally don't help and Bots never do.  Best I can do dive for the ground of a sector we control and hope the AA  can take him out before he tickles me to death with his light gun. 

bradk62

SpiritFoxMY #7 Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:39 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6222 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postbradk62, on 10 December 2018 - 07:47 AM, said:

Agreed.  It's all about managing your engagement. 

The pancake is my favorite heavy.  Mined is spec'd with Long Barrels - Ultimate.  I can generally destroy LFs before they even get in their own firing range so my preferred attack is from a far distance, head on .

Same LF gets on my tail I'm done, nothing I can do.  Teammates generally don't help and Bots never do.  Best I can do dive for the ground of a sector we control and hope the AA  can take him out before he tickles me to death with his light gun. 

bradk62

Actually, the Pancake is the only heavy that can do something about a fighter on its tail: slam on the brakes. The Pancake has a lower stalling speed than an A7M so you can literally go full UFO and watch your opponent overshoot... or straight up fall out of the sky.

Is there any wonder the Pancake is the single most powerful anything at tier 8?

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

vcharng #8 Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 4678 battles

The thing is, HF can choose to or not to fight against a LF. If it boosts away the LF can't keep up.

actually, for most tiers HFs tend to win against LF in a one-on-one fight, as LFs can't decide when and where or whether the fight is going to happen.

It's definitely not the best idea for LF to headhunt a HF, too.

HoujuuNue #9 Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:57 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10392 battles
  • [PZMOE] PZMOE
And the devs think one team having 4 HFs and the other having 0 is perfectly fine

GonerNL #10 Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1769 battles

View Postbradk62, on 10 December 2018 - 12:47 AM, said:

Same LF gets on my tail I'm done, nothing I can do.  

Speed, altitude and climb-rate are better than most LF's on those tiers ... save some boost and climb vertically until they stall. Turn around and kill. 

Edited by GonerNL, 10 December 2018 - 09:55 AM.

trikke #11 Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:24 PM

Major

• 5178 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

which is exactly what he did in both battles 

i didn't bite on the climbing chases, but he just spun around and killed me anyway, in both battles 

that's right...  both battles       i never learn

i truly thought that killing him first was my only chance, and i did kill him once, but...

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

GonerNL #12 Posted 11 December 2018 - 08:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1769 battles

View Posttrikke, on 10 December 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

i didn't bite on the climbing chases, but he just spun around and killed me anyway, in both battles 

That also works ... the heavy is often faster and has more boost than your turn fighter, so he out-distances you horizontally, turns around at a safe distance and blasts you with his longer range guns. It's difficult to counter, I find. You can try to maneuver wildly to throw him off aim, but you can't shoot him.

CorvusCorvax #13 Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:08 PM

Major

• 5150 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostGonerNL, on 11 December 2018 - 08:32 AM, said:

That also works ... the heavy is often faster and has more boost than your turn fighter, so he out-distances you horizontally, turns around at a safe distance and blasts you with his longer range guns. It's difficult to counter, I find. You can try to maneuver wildly to throw him off aim, but you can't shoot him.

Given enough time, I can down any LF in my HF.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users