daily mission conflict of interest poor design

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Bobby_Tables #1 Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6903 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

OK,

So here's the deal:  I have a "daily mission" called Ravening Wolf that requires me to kill 30 bombers from an Attack Flight at all 3 tier levels.  

In trying to accomplish that, it is in my selfish best interest to allow the enemy to take control of the sectors that spawn bomber flights.  Why?  Because then I can kill bombers in the Attack Flight to gain my 4 measly tokens.  

Now, from a team perspective, this is counterintuitive.  I should deny the enemy the ability to take my sectors that spawn bombers.  But... if I want my tokens, it is in my best interest to allow the enemy team to get these sectors so I have bomber flights that I can intercept in order to get my tokens.

So, since I am a token fanatic, I can ignore those sectors, watch them turn red, and then turn my attention to the bomber flights because that is where I will earn my tokens.  

So what if my team loses, I have just killed X number of bombers in the attack flight so I advance my goals at the expense of my team.  

Good deal, right?

Who designs these missions and can they please send me what they are smoking?  It's obviously better than what I have.    

[Edit]  And can you PLEASE change the name from "Daily Missions" to something like "Token Missions"?  Daily is such a joke at this point, but not a funny, like ha ha joke, more like a sick, twisted, demented joke.  

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 08 December 2018 - 06:22 AM.

Captain_Underpants53 #2 Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:24 AM

Captain

• 21456 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
:medal:
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Greg_Pattinson #3 Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:32 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 15751 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

Regarding your main point I completely agree.  I have made the point multiple times on here already that this is NOT a team sport. It is a video game played individually (unless you are in a flight that's different).  I don't like WR being the primary stat because not everyone has the same objective and its not always winning.  I also really hate when people run down their "team" for the same reason.  I see anyone who blames their team for a loss as a freeloader.  If they want to win than that's up to them.  I'm not going to go for the win at the expense of my own objective just so some parasite can get his daily 2x.  That being said I'm also not going to actively try to be a detriment to others on my side to achieve my objective.  In your example of ravening wolf  (I just had that mission earlier in the week)  I'm going to do exactly what you said.  I will take another sector like a garrison but I wont go so far as to suicide myself in the command center to ensure it turns red.  If someone wants to win and takes the command center than oh well.  I will get my bombers next time.  It only takes one person to cap and hold the Command center to win.  I'm not stopping them.  Its also not their teams fault if they loose.  It just means that they weren't good enough to do it themselves and their team didn't do all the work for them.  If anything it might as well have been them suiciding over the command center for all the good they did.  It had the same result.

As to your second point most of them can be done in a day but some of them do need a serious rework to be called daily missions.  The last 2 days I completed all 3 missions each day.  Today my 10 token mission is to earn 40k pp capping military bases.  I don't think I will be getting that done in day.  It would be fine if every map had a base but I'm not willing to quit every battle that doesn't.  I already used my replace to get rid of "smiles of fortune"  (be top 3 by aerial targets destroyed and survive the entire battle) I will probably use my replace tomorrow to get rid of this one too.  As I said I had ravening wolf 3 days ago.  That's not a daily either, at least not anymore and its only 4 tokens not even 10.  The problem is the same as the mission I have today.  Not every map has a command center.  At level 1 they are so rare that's when I thought of he strategy to suicide over the CC.  I didn't do it but I thought it up.  There is never multiple command centers at level 1.  Its usually 1 command center and 2 garrisons.  If someone on your side (or even the bots sometimes) takes the command center you're screwed.  Before it was an ok mission but since they changed the routing of attack flights during the BEM patch you cant kill bombers with impunity now.  I used to be able to kill 15 bombers in a single battle easily but now you would have to repeatedly fly over the other sides spawn point to do it which means you are going to get swarmed by reds.  You will either spend too much time killing reds instead of bombers or get shot down yourself.  Either way killing large amounts of bombers per battle just isn't possible anymore.

The country or class specific daily missions, killing ground targets, killing aerial targets, and rocket kills are all fine.  They can be done in a day.  They also can be done while still trying to win.  But the ones that are sector specific or any of the assist missions got to go.  They are the ones that take too much time, conflict with winning, and encourage people to quit battles to get the right map.  Also there should be some sort of scaled progression so you don't have to spend the majority of your time at low tiers.  For example the ground target missions I completed over the last 2 days I spent more time at level 1 than level 2 and 3 combined.  Level 1 planes are slower to travel between sectors and just don't have the firepower to cap as fast as higher tier planes.  There are more small 3 sector maps that end faster and less good players that will retake the sector so you can cap it again.

Edited by Greg_Pattinson, 08 December 2018 - 01:32 PM.

Greg_Pattinson #4 Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 15751 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
I want to be perfectly clear for WG.  when I say "there should be some sort of scaled progression so you don't have to spend the majority of your time at low tiers."  I don't mean make the requirements for the high tiers more so it more of a grind.  I also don't mean make the low tier requirements less and the higher tiers more so its the same grind.  What I mean is make the lower tier requirements less so its LESS of a grind.  Your games need to be LESS grindy!!!!

trikke #5 Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:31 PM

Captain

• 3379 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i haven't noticed many blue team guys ignoring the battle and working on their own thing

but about one of a hundred battles, someone admits in battle that they're working on a daily mission 

i never can think of a civil enough response

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

CorvusCorvax #6 Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:42 PM

Captain

• 3981 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Posttrikke, on 08 December 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

i haven't noticed many blue team guys ignoring the battle and working on their own thing

but about one of a hundred battles, someone admits in battle that they're working on a daily mission 

i never can think of a civil enough response

I guess I should say right at the beginning that I'm working a daily, then?

trikke #7 Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:36 PM

Captain

• 3379 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

because i just don't notice much about what's happening around me... 

if you say nothing, i would never ever realize what your 'plan' is 

i suppose that the folks that do 'fess up in chat are just warning the rest of us, but please...  do not tell me that

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

CorvusCorvax #8 Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:07 PM

Captain

• 3981 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Posttrikke, on 09 December 2018 - 03:36 PM, said:

because i just don't notice much about what's happening around me... 

if you say nothing, i would never ever realize what your 'plan' is 

i suppose that the folks that do 'fess up in chat are just warning the rest of us, but please...  do not tell me that

Well, since you and I only very rarely play at the same time, the point seem moot.  And usually, my playing for tokens specifically happens at low tier - the upper tiers seem to solve themselves in the mere playing of the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users