Match Maker, Match Maker, Make Me A Match

MM Match Maker Devs Patent

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Double_O7 #121 Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:37 PM

Senior Airman

• 484 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F
I don't understand why I have to wait over a minute just to get a team of bots. Why does it take so long?

Perrigrino #122 Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:27 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4104 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostDouble_O7, on 15 January 2019 - 05:37 PM, said:

I don't understand why I have to wait over a minute just to get a team of bots. Why does it take so long?

Where u been? Read the Patch notes?

Ever onward,

Much attention has been shifted onto the thinking that goes into the make up of the game, what I sometimes refer to as the model requires "Modelling". And here is an excellent example of that "THINKING" from WOT wiki, so not directly relevant, but instructive :

Vehicle TierEdit

Vehicle tier is not taken into consideration when balancing teams. This is a common misconception among players. For example, under the current rules a tier 8 medium can be matched against a tier 7 heavy tank. The only relevance of vehicle tier is to determine the battle tier (vehicle tier and battle tier not same thing)

However, the top tanks of each team have the same vehicle tier due to the current balancing rules.

The vehicle tier should be taken into consideration as it reflects a preordained operating range (wow!) of a vehicle also known as classification. The range of each tier gradually increases with technology and tiers can overlap. Your 7 heavy can feel reasonably confident his encounter with a medium 8 has a 50% chance of victory, because their operating ranges overlap."

That last statement : Your 7 heavy can feel reasonably confident his encounter with a medium 8 has a 50% chance of victory, because their operating ranges overlap..." is problematic because there is no other information provided to back up such a claim. I think it's safe to say that it's pure conjecture. The comparison sounds horizontal/linear, not curved, vertically. What about orders of magnitude in differences, exponential increases. T7 tank player has 50% chance of victory over T8 tank player? Gambling with percentages/numbers that DILBERT came up with? The accuracy of such a statement is suspect. In all fairness, statements like these are made for general information, to give players an idea of how to think of the match maker and subsequent matches formed. But again, it also gives a glimpse into the thinking of the modeller, designer, architect (s).

From Ships wiki there's this:

World of Warships

World of Warships is a naval action MMO, dipping into the world of large-scale sea battles of the first half of the twentieth century. Epic battles rage across the oceans of the world in order to claim victory among teams comprised of the greatest representatives from the era of multi-ton marine giants.

In order to achieve victory in battle, players must employ a wide range of strategies in a variety of tactical decisions. Sudden ambushes, cunning flanking attacks, open confrontation and "head-on" assaults — captains must strive to find an ideal way to deliver a decisive blow at the enemy.

Tactical diversity in World of Warships comes from the inclusion of many different classes of warships, including: aircraft carriers, capable of providing remote air support and striking targets at extreme range; colossal battleships that project power across vast swaths of ocean; light and heavy cruisers with the capability to quickly respond to changing battlefield conditions; and stealthy, agile destroyers"

The modellers "believe" (ordained ?) that Tactics are what is required to overcome the ever increasing odds, the disparity in vehicle type, class, tier, and the FLight combinations, Specialization, Gold ammo, etc. And, in all honesty, there is a CONTEST to be had, but for a game that keeps touting balance, would like to see a bit more of that happening. Not going the other way. I understand and respect what Russia had to go through and their sacrifice in the Great Patriotic War, and that without their sacrifices things would have turned out very differently in WW II, but can't help wondering how much of the underdog ethic, overcoming insurmountable odds, is applied to the construction of this CONTEST called World of Warplanes?

Edited by Perrigrino, 15 January 2019 - 09:42 PM.

Also tagged with MM, Match Maker, Devs, Patent

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users