Sub Tier 7 Gaa and Heavies, what's the consensus?

show me your war FACE

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

ComradeZ #1 Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:07 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3945 battles
  • [FK] FK

So I've been loitering in the sub tier 7 GAA and Heavy fighters region for a week or two casually. Basically grinding a few 10 token missions.  Which brings me to my question:

What sub t7 GAA and Heavies are worth the time? Premium or otherwise?  I've been in my Bsh-1 so long now it's my second home. Looking for other stuff to fly but not willing to putz about the tech trees. Also looking for a quality TIV gaa to terrorize in when these missions pop up again.

Any input would be cool, thanks!

LMG #2 Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

Soviet GAAs so far have served me quite well from top to bottom, though the TSh-2 has a bit of a hard time with no ordnance nor access to Universal Ammo. German GAAs are imo decent at tier 4 and 7 up. The tier 5 and 6 German GAAs I feel need a buff so they can cap in a reasonable amount of time, as right now they take far too long to do much of anything, in particular the Ju 87 G. Surprisingly enough the Hs 129 B seems to not have a horrible time when it comes to capping since the single 37 kills armored buildings in the same number of shots as the Ju 88 P's 50, except the Duck also gets a pair of 20s and MGs for extra damage and to farm fires. You can still get them to work, but stats-wise they're really lacking.

Though when it comes to self-defense at those tiers you're mostly at the mercy of head-on duels, rams, bombkills and fancy flying, as the few rearguns available are not very reliable in keeping you alive. The more maneuverable GAAs I can think of are the Wirraway, the Hs 123, the LBSh, the Fw 189 C and the Ju 87 G, most of which still turn noticeably worse than your regular fighter but good enough to pull off some tricks.

Oh, and if you happen to have the Hs 129 A, fly it at your own discretion, as it's statistically the worst tier 4 GAA, but some folk can still make it work somehow :amazed:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

SpiritFoxMY #3 Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:38 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3735 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I'm personally a huge fan of the following:

Hs123 - tier II

The Henschel, apart from being a historically significant airplane is also a fantastic little sealclubber down at tier 2. It will suffer if it gets downtiered but at tier 2 it is hilariously fun to fly as you get to abuse it's rudder, low speed, even lower stall and your boost to dogfight more maneuverable fighters and multiroles. In this it us similar to the equal tier Fi98 which is available in the premium shop. The Fi98 trades speed and durability for maneuverability but otherwise retains the Henschel's hilarious dogfighting capabilities. It also has the advantage of being a much more commonly available plane.

CAC Wirraway - tier III

Like the Hs123, I love the Wirraway for both being an excellent ground attacker and a hilariously capable dogfighter to boot. Its twin .303 LMGs are not meant for ground strafing - they're for shooting up other airplanes. Its four bombs deal a good amount of damage with a fast reload and the plane is pretty fast to boot. Twins well with a Beaufighter crew.

LBSh - tier IV

I've only flown this once but I already love it. Its fast and agile for a GAA and packs a great punch to boot. Arguably the best tier 4 GAA, its only weakness is its health pool which is disastrously low for an Attack Airplane. Other than that, its guns are punchy, bombload effective and performance surprisingly good.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 04 December 2018 - 01:59 PM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

GonerNL #4 Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:42 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 875 battles

I really like the Hs-129A ... 2x20mm and 4 bombs.  And its big brother, the 129B ; 2x20mm + 37mm (or bombs)

Also Wirraway, Ha-137, Hs-123. Maneuverable enough to defend themselves a bit.

For me first priority is armored equipment, protection expert, camo (concealment and anti-AA).

I really hope they give us newcomers a chance to get the Pegasus one day ... rockets at tier II !! (9 vs the 4 of the I-16e)

Edited by GonerNL, 04 December 2018 - 08:53 AM.

Flying on NA and EU servers

ComradeZ #5 Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:25 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3945 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostGonerNL, on 04 December 2018 - 08:42 AM, said:

I really like the Hs-129A ... 2x20mm and 4 bombs.  And its big brother, the 129B ; 2x20mm + 37mm (or bombs)

For me first priority is armored equipment, protection expert, camo (concealment and anti-AA).

I really hope they give us newcomers a chance to get the Pegasus one day ... rockets at tier II !! (9 vs the 4 of the I-16e)

wth, people actually want the Peggy?  It's right there with the FW-189 Twin tail snail on my list of prozaic planes to pilot.

Captain_Underpants53 #6 Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:06 AM

First Lieutenant

• 17093 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

View PostGonerNL, on 04 December 2018 - 03:42 AM, said:

Yes!  I want one too!

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

jack_wdw #7 Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:48 AM

• 1740 battles

As for the heavies: at tier IV you have the default bf-110b and the premium Bf-110c which are both very solid

At tier V the  P-38 and beaufighter are the best tech tree HF's and the Se.100 is the best premium HF.
At tier VI the Me410 Hornisse is pure gold, the chinese Premium Mosquito is okay

GonerNL #8 Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:06 PM

• 875 battles

Oh, heavies ; the new Ki-45 is very nice !! Good weapons (20mm & 37mm with high rate-of-fire) and turns better than other heavies at that tier. Only altitude is a bit meh.

Shouldn't the Japanese heavies be included in the tech tree one of these days ??

AHA! https://worldofwarpl...update-2-0-8-4/

• The branch of U.S. heavy bombers forks from the Tier V P-44 multirole fighter, starts with the Tier V B-17D bomber, and ends with the B-32 bomber joining the Tier VII P-47N multirole fighter.
  •  
  • The branch of Japanese heavy fighters forks from the Tier IV Ki-43-I and A6M1 fighters, starts with the Ki-45 heavy fighter, and ends with the Ki-93 heavy fighter joining the Tier VIII Ki-94-II fighter and the Tier VIII J7W1 multirole fighter.

Edited by GonerNL, 04 December 2018 - 01:55 PM.

Flying on NA and EU servers

SpiritFoxMY #9 Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:17 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3735 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

P-38F - Tier V

The P-38F is easily one of the three "problem aircraft" at tier 5, lining up alongside Spitfire I and 109E as almost completely broken in the right hands. The plane has a higher ceiling than any other heavy, turns better, accelerates faster and outperforms every other Heavy of its tier - only the Ki-45 Toryu can actually turn inside it but its a 100kph slower in all aspects and flies 600m lower on top of having a slightly slower rate of roll. And to top it off, the Lightning carries two 500 pound bombs giving it the nuking capabilities of a ground attack. (plus its skin just scream FREEDOM like no other)

SE100 - Tier V

If the P-38F is broken, the SE100 is the meme plane. It isn't a very high performing heavy but makes up for that by having a ridiculous weapons loadout - quad 20s in the front and a 20 in the tail that doles out DPS that makes every other plane in the sky between tier 5 and 7 weep (seriously, its DPS is equal to a tier 7 ground attacker from the rear, coming in at a ridiculous 105dps at 800m. For comparison, the Soviet IL-8's top tailgun hangs at 120dps at 800m). The only reason this plane isn't completely broken is because its modest performance specifications mean that it can be overcome by an intelligent pilot who knows how to keep out of its stinger's very narrow cone of fire.

nwlxn12 #10 Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:05 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1408 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 04 December 2018 - 08:17 AM, said:

P-38F - Tier V

The P-38F is easily one of the three "problem aircraft" at tier 5, lining up alongside Spitfire I and 109E as almost completely broken in the right hands. The plane has a higher ceiling than any other heavy, turns better, accelerates faster and outperforms every other Heavy of its tier - only the Ki-45 Toryu can actually turn inside it but its a 100kph slower in all aspects and flies 600m lower on top of having a slightly slower rate of roll. And to top it off, the Lightning carries two 500 pound bombs giving it the nuking capabilities of a ground attack. (plus its skin just scream FREEDOM like no other)

Before they removed the penalty for flying down low with a high alt plane, a Beaufighter could handle a P-38 when fighting on the deck.

SpiritFoxMY #11 Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:23 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3735 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postnwlxn12, on 05 December 2018 - 12:05 AM, said:

Before they removed the penalty for flying down low with a high alt plane, a Beaufighter could handle a P-38 when fighting on the deck.

A P-38F fighting on the deck has made a serious mistake. At that level, even a 190 A-1 can kill him without any fuss (I sure did).

wylleEcoyote #12 Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:56 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3227 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS

View Postnwlxn12, on 04 December 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 04 December 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

A P-38F fighting on the deck has made a serious mistake. At that level, even a 190 A-1 can kill him without any fuss (I sure did).

In my defense; i had a rocket payload to dump off.

I will also state for the record that if i am on the deck chasing kills its because everything else that can fly higher is already dead.

And that there are no caps that i need to go run off to attack/defend.
Or a certain GAA REALLY needs to be dead 5 seconds ago because its worth half of the points needed for a cap zone.

Azis_ #13 Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1590 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

The Beau and P-38 are my favorite matchup regardless of which plane I am in. They require discipline by each pilot to bring the fight to their respective element as each require a different flying style to be successful.

On the right map it can be a stalemate of hide-n-seek. :playing:

rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

HoujuuNue #14 Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:38 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7398 battles
  • [PZMOE] PZMOE

Tier4

Blenheim F - Best turning heavy with bombs

Bf 110 C-6 - 30mm snipe gun

Tier5

P-38F - Fastest plane that will out turn most heavys and high altitude

Beaufighter - Strongest guns with bombs and rockets

SE 100 - Strong guns and strong turret

Ki-45 - I don't have this but it's probably almost the same as Ki-102

IL-2

Tier6

P-38J - Fastest plane that will out turn most heavys and high altitude

Me 410 - Strongest guns and high altitude.

Ki-102 - Best turning heavy with strong guns and high altitude

IL-2(t)

sandtiger #15 Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 16678 battles

View PostComradeZ, on 03 December 2018 - 10:07 PM, said:

So I've been loitering in the sub tier 7 GAA and Heavy fighters region for a week or two casually. Basically grinding a few 10 token missions.  Which brings me to my question:

What sub t7 GAA and Heavies are worth the time? Premium or otherwise?  I've been in my Bsh-1 so long now it's my second home. Looking for other stuff to fly but not willing to putz about the tech trees. Also looking for a quality TIV gaa to terrorize in when these missions pop up again.

Any input would be cool, thanks!

tier  seven  ga il 10 fun plane rockets bombs  and can fight if it has to

me 265 fun plane good can dog fight if it has to

il 8 best you for ground fighting and not try to get in to a fight good tail gun

Premium il 10m i seen what that plane can do with a good pilot in it

he can make a mess of things really fast  .. 

on fighters the yak line is fun 

the spits fire is a good fighter

but i have to say this every line well have a plane that you just do not like or is not a favorite

but the Brit heavy fighters  have  good turrets so if you ever need turret kills that line .. at tier four can help with those trouble some missions to get a plane your after ..

CorvusCorvax #16 Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:03 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2658 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

I echo the sentiments here.  For GAA, the soviet planes really have what you need.  I liked flying the Hs-123 and -129B, but the other German GAA are crap until the Me-265.

Heavy fighters are my thing.  German heavies are really my thing.  I roll the Ao-192 -> Me-262 HGII, but I sold the Bf-110B and the Me-109Z.  My favorite plane in the whole game is still the Me-410.  But at T5/6, the P-38s rule the skies.  It's stupid how good they are, and flying them well is almost as effortless and yanking and banking in a Spitfire.  The SE-100 is just plain silly.  Those guns would be good on a T8 plane.  At T5.  Fly down, mostly zap any plane, fly away, switch to turret, finish off your victim.  Rinse, repeat.

Bobby_Tables #17 Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 5222 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

I have to say that at T4 for dailies that involve ground targets the premium Soviet LBSh is the way to go.  

My situation is a little unique as I put the Russian Valkyrie pilot into it so I can burn up the light targets with impunity.  Still, even with a standard pilot and premium ammo this thing mints money for a T4 plane.  The cost in gold is very reasonable.  I picked it up with spare gold from some past events.  I used to fly the German T4 GA and still have it in my hangar somewhere, but if I am looking to complete dailies at T4 that involves ground targets, this is my go-to plane.  

It can defend itself very well.  You can dump flaps, kills the throttle, make someone overshoot and then just burn them down.  The 20mm at tier and even when up-tiered are really effective and seem to overheat slower than I would expect for a 20mm at that tier. 

When all the sectors have turned in my favor, I use it to defend and it works out very well.  Of course, you cannot chase someone high up, but anyone who gets in range and in front of you is in trouble.

Downside, as mentioned above is not the best pool of hit points and not the best rear gunner (but with some skills the rear gunner gets some kills).  If you have some gold lying around, the LBSh is a very good investment.  Don't see how they will nerf it as by no means is it OP.  But spend some time in it and you will see just how much you can contribute to the team.  

Oh yeah, did I mention it mints silver for a T4?

HazeGrayUnderway #18 Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1814 battles

Tier VII and below?

For Bomber Killing, if it's your thing, the German Heavies tend to be very good.  Great Altitude ratings, sturdy, and most of all, tons of firepower.

The German Heavies are important because there's more Bombers now than ever before compared to the last time I played a lot (December 2017).  In those old days, the only low tier Bomber was the Tier III Blenheim IV.  Now there's RU Bombers starting in Tier III.  German Heavies are available very early in the tiers.

All the German Heavies I've worked towards (up to IX) are excellent Bomber Killers but the ones that really stood out to me from VII and below in the Tech Tree were Tier VI Me410 and VII Bf109Z.

I also have the Do-17 Z-7 and was not impressed by her altitude performance to kill high altitude bombers.

Tech Tree Fighters for Bomber Killing?  Tier V Bf109E earns respect.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 05 December 2018 - 10:22 AM.

ComradeZ #19 Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:25 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3945 battles
  • [FK] FK
How about T2-4?

SpiritFoxMY #20 Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:20 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3735 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostComradeZ, on 06 December 2018 - 07:25 PM, said:

How about T2-4?

If you're talking about Heavies... there really aren't many at those tiers.

Focke Wulf Fw57 - tier 3

Generally considered a clubbing monster, the Fw57 is simply devastating at tier 3, with a bombload rivalling its contemporary bombers, firepower that will tear any equal tier airplane to shreds in seconds and a massive tailgun that can do the same in the opposite direction, its a kinda like an SE100 at tier 3. Its only limiting factor is its poor maneuverability; the plane is a lumbering beast in flight. But once you learn to accomodate that, it is hard to find a plane that is quite as good at so many things at tier 3.

Messerschmitt Bf110C-6 - tier 4

A bit of a meme plane - the C-6 trades the B's dual 20mm cannons for a single 30mm MK101 backed by quad 7.92mm MG17s. That big stick is kinda its selling point as it outranges anything of its tier and can take massive chunks off people's HP when it hits. Of course, you actually have to hit first and the MK101 is NOT an easy gun to use. Its mixed armament is also a bit of a double-edged sword as it can be difficult to aim both the big stick and the little guns together when an enemy gets into firing range of the little guns... and they little guns can be a dead givaway to an experienced pilot that a C-6 is zeroing in on him if you leave them all on the same trigger control.

Also tagged with show, me, your, war, FACE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users