Jump to content


Best way to use P-40 types?


  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Captain_Rownd #21 Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:21 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 918 battles
  • 324
  • Member since:
    09-28-2015

View Posthoom, on 02 December 2018 - 02:19 AM, said:

 

You don't want to get bogged down turning vs a Spit/Zero/Yak-1 but a most of the time you should be able to kill or at least multi-crit one on first pass -> turn to finish off.

 

I've been trying to make fast passes through the cap "swooping in" to hit whatever planes get in front of me and then fly out of the other side of the cap as fast as I can to start my climb back up, but if I try to let back on the throttle or turn a little to get more than a short burst on target I lose too much airspeed and they latch onto my tail. 

 

 


Edited by Captain_Rownd, 02 December 2018 - 09:23 AM.


Captain_Rownd #22 Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:33 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 918 battles
  • 324
  • Member since:
    09-28-2015

 

w00t!  I just had a P-40 game with near 11000 points.  GAAs, bomber flights, with multi-roles and heavies trying to defend them - everything a hungry P-40 wants for dinner.  :child:

 

(now I'm sucking more in the Ki-43...or anything Japanese really)


Edited by Captain_Rownd, 04 December 2018 - 03:23 AM.


wylleEcoyote #23 Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:47 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 2430 battles
  • 262
  • [ALAS] ALAS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 03 December 2018 - 11:33 PM, said:

 

w00t!  I just had a P-40 game with near 11000 points.  GAAs, bomber flights, with multi-roles and heavies trying to defend them - everything a hungry P-40 wants for dinner.  :child:

 

(now I'm sucking more in the Ki-43)

 

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 02 December 2018 - 09:21 AM, said:

 

I've been trying to make fast passes through the cap "swooping in" to hit whatever planes get in front of me and then fly out of the other side of the cap as fast as I can to start my climb back up, but if I try to let back on the throttle or turn a little to get more than a short burst on target I lose too much airspeed and they latch onto my tail. 

 

 

 



FIrst off ...
Congrats!  Im glad your plan came together for you. Great Job! You''ll be specialist in no time:great:
Now all you need to do is stuff like that game . All the time.


Second ... What did we say about fighting better turnfighters at low altitude?
Thats right.   We Don't Do That. 
Maybe once your have acquired the instinctive habit to pull up and loop around  as soon as you see bullets coming from behind you
you can perhaps get away with fighting spits zeros lags down low. 
Spoiler

By that time your UpTuned Engine should be closer to advanced than improved. and you will find yourself not loosing so much airspeed and when you do loose it you get it right back very fast.
 

        


GonerNL #24 Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:08 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 824 battles
  • 692
  • Member since:
    01-17-2018

Anybody tried the Soviet P-40 (M-105) ??

6x12.7 mg's but altitude only 900 meters. I see a lot of bots lately in them, far above their alt ?! Something wrong with their AI ?


Flying on EU and NA server

wylleEcoyote #25 Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:37 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 2430 battles
  • 262
  • [ALAS] ALAS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostGonerNL, on 04 December 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

Anybody tried the Soviet P-40 (M-105) ??

6x12.7 mg's but altitude only 900 meters. I see a lot of bots lately in them, far above their alt ?! Something wrong with their AI ?

 

Not me.
But others have made the implication that given its nerfed altitude and rocket ordinance to carry; it is reminiscent of that MF, the Fw 190.
Thus one should fly it like they do.  In a method called "Horizontal Boom&Zoom" 
Tricky. because it relies on a plane with a lot of boost at its disposal.
Spoiler
 
See this thread for that discussion.
http://forum.worldof...-do-i-grind-it/

If nothing else it may give someone ideas on how to fly P-47s and Corsairs.

But the OP has like all of the p-40's so if he gets around to figuring out what works with it maybe he will share it with us here? (hint hint nudge nudge wink wink)

        


Captain_Rownd #26 Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:53 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 918 battles
  • 324
  • Member since:
    09-28-2015

View PostwylleEcoyote, on 04 December 2018 - 07:37 PM, said:

 


But the OP has like all of the p-40's so if he gets around to figuring out what works with it maybe he will share it with us here? (hint hint nudge nudge wink wink)

 

Alas, I don't have all of them since I'm missing the 81a-1. 

 

The M-105 obviously is more constraining than the others in the category of altitude.  Forget about things flying high.  Wait for cap defense heavies to drop down low before chasing them.  Try to find GAA.  Hit cap AA guns with the rockets.  Run away a lot.  etc

 



Captain_Rownd #27 Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:30 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 918 battles
  • 324
  • Member since:
    09-28-2015

 

Don't forget to make it pretty...

 



wylleEcoyote #28 Posted 22 December 2018 - 04:18 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 2430 battles
  • 262
  • [ALAS] ALAS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 04 December 2018 - 08:53 PM, said:

 

Alas, I don't have all of them since I'm missing the 81a-1. 

 


Yeah but that isnt a P-40. Its a Curtis but that's about it. And your not missing out, either.
A premium with tier 4 Zoom! and tier 3 boom

TL;DR
I really dont use mine unless in a flight.
And even then i prefer a competent wingman in another 81a-1.

If you are just looking for better solo play in a tier 4 curtis plane; fly the XP-36 F

 
For those that just Have to know why...


 

        





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users