Best way to use P-40 types?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Captain_Rownd #1 Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:32 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 827 battles

With all the free premiums that get handed out I have the tech tree P-40 as well as the russian and chinese versions, so I'll be playing a "P-40" quite a bit.  It has guns and some speed, with middle of the road altitude and manouvering.  Should it generally stay out of crowded caps and keep altitude and speed up to swoop on things from the edges and chase enemies between caps?  (I guess the russian one has a much lower altitude performance though)

Edited by Captain_Rownd, 26 November 2018 - 10:37 PM.

qu33kKC #2 Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:53 PM

Master Sergeant

• 4273 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
presactly.

BuffaloTime #3 Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:31 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 7801 battles
  • [3MNKY] 3MNKY
  1.  Always keep energy up.
  2. Don't turnfight with anything but multiroles and heavies.
  3. Don't sit on tails. Hit and run

Fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark and brother, it's starting to rain.

Demons run when a good man goes to war.

Captain_Rownd #4 Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 827 battles
So, take upgrades and pilot skills to maximize speed and vision? 

trikke #5 Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:29 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2639 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i love the heck outta mine, but i rarely fly it anymore 

i'm addicted to altitude, i like to get really high

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

BuffaloTime #6 Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:48 AM

• 7801 battles
  • [3MNKY] 3MNKY

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 26 November 2018 - 06:55 PM, said:

My setup

https://imgur.com/a/Ofq9UeG

Fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark and brother, it's starting to rain.

Demons run when a good man goes to war.

wylleEcoyote #7 Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:52 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2393 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 26 November 2018 - 10:32 PM, said:

With all the free premiums that get handed out I have the tech tree P-40 as well as the russian and chinese versions, so I'll be playing a "P-40" quite a bit

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 26 November 2018 - 11:55 PM, said:

you have multiple variants; that are "mostly" alike (and yet..still different), for a machine that is been decribed as a "hybrid energy/turn fighter". 
why spec them all to do the same damn thing?

Use this opportunity to try different builds. 

Captain_Rownd #8 Posted 27 November 2018 - 04:27 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 827 battles

View PostwylleEcoyote, on 27 November 2018 - 03:52 AM, said:

Use this opportunity to try different builds. 

Well, my lack of experience-based judgement would show.  ;)  The USA and China models look fairly similar.  For the Russia model I could perhaps choose more armor upgrades since it is stuck down low.  There are plenty of upgrades and consumables I've never used before.

Captain_Rownd #9 Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:17 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 827 battles
How can I be effective in the P-40?  If it gets anywhere near enemy fighters it is easily out-turned and shot down, and has to spend much its the time away from the fight to recharge boost and climb.  The only things that seem effective are attacking bot heavies and ground attack planes, if you can find them.  I had these same questions about the Focke-Wulf FW 109 back in the spring - I have trouble participating effectively in the battle when the vast majority of the time I'm trying to avoid engagement and fly between caps searching for targets.

Edited by Captain_Rownd, 28 November 2018 - 10:44 AM.

GonerNL #10 Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:34 AM

• 824 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 28 November 2018 - 11:17 AM, said:

If it gets anywhere near enemy fighters it is easily out-turned and shot down, 

Don't turn with real turn-fighters ... only with other energy fighters. Use the tactic you describe ; hit, climb away and return for another hit.

To be honest ; it took me awhile to fly like this. It takes patience and discipline (which I don't have). But slowly I'm getting the hang of planes like the Fw-190, F4U and the like. Fly it like a heavy ...

Edited by GonerNL, 28 November 2018 - 10:37 AM.

Flying on EU and NA server

Greg_Pattinson #11 Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 10774 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
I LOVE American planes and fly them more than 40% of the time.  The Russian p40 warhawkski is good.  It has the performance of an energy LF with a MR tag so is probably the most useful if you prefer fighters to multiroles.  The rockets are puny and there is only 4 of them so don't bother hitting ground targets.  Save them for anyone or anybot that tries to attack you head on, easy rocketeer.  The Chinese P40 is a hangar queen.  It has the best paint with the flying tigers skin and the only real shark mouth.  The downside is performance wise it isn't as good as the tech tree American P40.  True to life but still.  Unless you are trying to train a Chinese pilot for some reason the best way to use it is to leave it in the hangar and look at how pretty it is.  It is very nice to look at.  That brings us to the original American p40.  The best way to use it is to grind to get the p38 and p51a (2 VERY capable planes) and then never fly it again or even sell it for the hangar slot if you are low.  It is just out classed by so many other fighters (spitfire, bf109) at its own tier never mind being up tiered.  The only one not mentioned is the model 81a1 at t4.  It is one of the only planes faster than the t4 standard fighter (bf109b) but only slightly.  In exchange it has no guns and is less maneuverable.  All the t4 American premiums are pretty underwhelming so no surprise.  If you want to get every daily 2x possible to train a pilot it can usually be picked up for free with a bonus code so there is no reason not to have it.

Dru83 #12 Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:42 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2805 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
For upgrades and pilot skills, I'd focus on speed of course, but also accuracy as the P-40 has 6 guns spread out on its wings, so by nature it won't be as accurate. Plus, you'll have less time to shoot since you're doing a hit and run most of the time so accuracy is important. Think of the P-40 as a vulture. You fly high and circle around looking for weak victims. Bombers and heavy fighters would be your main prey, but fighters aren't too hard to battle either, especially if they are slower and have less health. While I like to fly high and dive on my victims with the American and Chinese P-40s, it's probably better to fly in more of a level plane with the Russian P-40 because with a lower altitude band, you have less energy to spare, so only dive when you have to in order to get away safely. Flying boom and zoom fighters takes a lot of patience. Sometimes you are going to have to break off the attack in order to survive instead of going for the kill. Never follow your victims into a turn, except for in the case of heavy fighters. You'll just bleed of airspeed and become a sitting duck. It's all about hit and run and getting out of dodge before the enemy can turn around and shoot you.

Captain_Rownd #13 Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:42 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 827 battles

I guess I need to acquire this Model 81a1 for my collection of misfit planes.  :D  I didn't see that one. 

Having to approach targets from a distance is difficult, since they'll change directions continually as you try to catch up and perhaps even die before you get there.  All the while your guns are cold.  Then if it's a turny fighter you put a burst into them and in return have to let them chew on your tail for a while as you attempt to outrun them with guns growing cold again, which seems like a losing trade.  I guess I should ignore the cap game entirely and just prowl the areas in between looking for cap defense heavy fighters and GA planes.  They give more XP anyway.

This game needs to go VR to make it easier to look around.  

Captain_Rownd #14 Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:44 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 827 battles
After watching some youtubes it looks like perhaps I'm not initially climbing high enough.  I was trying to not go much above the "optimal maximum altitude", but other people seem to climb significantly above that before reaching the cap.

wylleEcoyote #15 Posted 30 November 2018 - 01:57 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2393 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 28 November 2018 - 11:42 PM, said:

I guess I need to acquire this Model 81a1 for my collection of misfit planes.  :D  I didn't see that one. 

Having to approach targets from a distance is difficult, since they'll change directions continually as you try to catch up and perhaps even die before you get there.  All the while your guns are cold.  Then if it's a turny fighter you put a burst into them and in return have to let them chew on your tail for a while as you attempt to outrun them with guns growing cold again, which seems like a losing trade.  I guess I should ignore the cap game entirely and just prowl the areas in between looking for cap defense heavy fighters and GA planes.  They give more XP anyway.

This game needs to go VR to make it easier to look around.  

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 29 November 2018 - 09:44 PM, said:

After watching some youtubes it looks like perhaps I'm not initially climbing high enough.  I was trying to not go much above the "optimal maximum altitude", but other people seem to climb significantly above that before reaching the cap.

Upgrade your engine. either with engine guru or uptuned engine, high octane gas consumable, paint job that boosts cruise speed, etc (or all of the above)

This lets get higher, faster. And if you find yourself in that yellow altitude band dont worry.
You can still turn ok  but other non german fighter planes ... not so much.
When you see a target below you to attack nose down and let gravity do the rest as you give them the whole 9 yards of ammo.
When you fly past them they will want to return the favor.  Do NOT get into a horizontal turn fight. This will get you killed. 

Instead... do a loop.
Vertical turning is based on how good your engine is not how tight you turn
When you fly past them pitch up as hard as you can
 other light fighters (german light fighters are an exception) loose a lot of power and speed when they do this as their engines are weak and not very manly

Keep going and finish your loop while your opponent is still trying to come around
throw on a bit of boost and once again your right behind them. 

Maybe they are smart and they did not try to follow you as you went high. perhaps they made a sharp left or right turn.  now you are high up and all set to dive on them again while they are still trying to make that circle.

Captain_Rownd #16 Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:04 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 827 battles
I'm sticking to it, but I have trouble being effective with my time in this kind of plane.  If there isn't anything to shoot up high I have to do the long haul to a different cap or dive down and hope get a short burst off on one or two planes in passing.  But if I do dive down that short burst doesn't do much total damage and I have to spend a lot of time running away, regenerating boost, and climbing back up.   If I'm lucky I'll get a game where nobody else goes after the two heavy cap defense fighters, or where I can get to a bomber.  Chasing bombers and roving heavies often wastes a lot of time.  I feel like I'm just picking off the few random things I can do with these limitations and not contributing to the cap game.  Over time hopefully I'll figure out how to "be in the right place at the right time"

wylleEcoyote #17 Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:19 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2393 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS

That comes with experience. Eventually you will be able to determine what is likely to happen just by where you see the enemy and friendlies going.
And then adjust your heading accordingly.

Spoiler

Also target selection is important. you have the right idea at the start. go high and intercept Incoming bombers and heavies.
Chasing a bomber that has decided to run from you is not always the best idea.

Spoiler

Heavies respond to your advances in a similar way to bombers. Though unlike bombers you may notice that when they are threatened they have a tendency to dive (to gain airpeed) into a big swarm of light fighter (to get you off their tail) instead of just running away from the cap.

Spoiler

Now suppose that all is going well and you have swept the high altitude band of all enemies (whether you have shot them down or drove them off doesnt matter)
And your safely flying 1000 m over what is by all accounts a nasty dogfight. 

Spoiler

Looking down you see a target rich environment and pick the one that is closest to your guns and dive after him.

Don't. Just Don't.

rather you should pick you targets carefully.

Use that left alt button and see the health bars. That left alt will also tell you what type of plane you see.
Odds are its a bunch of fighters. Pay attention to how they are moving.
Bots especially will get in the habit of following each other around covering their various 6's.

Spoiler
Spoiler

A Multirole fighter is absolutely something you can out turn and is still fragile enough that you can kill it fairly quick.

Spoiler

Maybe you dont wanna tangle with an unoccupied Zero. Maybe you DO wanna tangle with a zero that is trying to fly in a slow and straight line to kill some other hapless fool.

Spoiler

Again, after that one pass go vertical and try finding something else that is an easy mark.

Maybe you are looking for a target and you notice a big booty heavy trying to boost away from that furball by going vertical as well. 

Spoiler

Speaking of being mindful; just because you swept the high altitude band clear that one time doesnt mean that someone may want to come back into your personal patch of sky. 

Spoiler

This is the heart and soul of Boom&Zoom tactics.
Is it as immediately gratifying as "fly to mid. turn and burn all the things . all  the time. until dead or the match is over" 
No, not at all.

Spoiler

But that is what you give up to have a plane that can actually get "Where it needs to be, When it needs to be there"

Edited by wylleEcoyote, 01 December 2018 - 01:46 AM.

Captain_Rownd #18 Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:00 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 827 battles

I'm usually failing at the "where it needs to be".  Some games I only get a couple of kills and spend most of the game out of the fight.  Bombers are a feast, but I'm uncertain how effective spending all game shooting up bomber flights is.

I have Eagle-Eyed and Engine Guru I, and Stock Collimator Sight and Stock Up-Rated Engine

Edited by Captain_Rownd, 01 December 2018 - 11:10 PM.

trikke #19 Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:17 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2639 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostwylleEcoyote, on 30 November 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

That comes with experience. Eventually you will be able to determine what is likely to happen just by where you see the enemy and friendlies going.
And then adjust your heading accordingly.

Spoiler

Also target selection is important. you have the right idea at the start. go high and intercept Incoming bombers and heavies.
Chasing a bomber that has decided to run from you is not always the best idea.

Spoiler

Heavies respond to your advances in a similar way to bombers. Though unlike bombers you may notice that when they are threatened they have a tendency to dive (to gain airpeed) into a big swarm of light fighter (to get you off their tail) instead of just running away from the cap.

Spoiler

Now suppose that all is going well and you have swept the high altitude band of all enemies (whether you have shot them down or drove them off doesnt matter)
And your safely flying 1000 m over what is by all accounts a nasty dogfight. 

Spoiler

Looking down you see a target rich environment and pick the one that is closest to your guns and dive after him.

Don't. Just Don't.

rather you should pick you targets carefully.

Use that left alt button and see the health bars. That left alt will also tell you what type of plane you see.
Odds are its a bunch of fighters. Pay attention to how they are moving.
Bots especially will get in the habit of following each other around covering their various 6's.

Spoiler
Spoiler

A Multirole fighter is absolutely something you can out turn and is still fragile enough that you can kill it fairly quick.

Spoiler

Maybe you dont wanna tangle with an unoccupied Zero. Maybe you DO wanna tangle with a zero that is trying to fly in a slow and straight line to kill some other hapless fool.

Spoiler

Again, after that one pass go vertical and try finding something else that is an easy mark.

Maybe you are looking for a target and you notice a big booty heavy trying to boost away from that furball by going vertical as well. 

Spoiler

Speaking of being mindful; just because you swept the high altitude band clear that one time doesnt mean that someone may want to come back into your personal patch of sky. 

Spoiler

This is the heart and soul of Boom&Zoom tactics.
Is it as immediately gratifying as "fly to mid. turn and burn all the things . all  the time. until dead or the match is over" 
No, not at all.

Spoiler

But that is what you give up to have a plane that can actually get "Where it needs to be, When it needs to be there"

always clever posts...  and always great advice!
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

hoom #20 Posted 02 December 2018 - 02:19 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4274 battles

Well I build mine for speed primarily, don't have much issue with agility.

It out-turns anything faster, is faster than anything that out-turns it.

I mostly fly pretty low, often dive into a furball & come out OK.

You don't want to get bogged down turning vs a Spit/Zero/Yak-1 but a most of the time you should be able to kill or at least multi-crit one on first pass -> turn to finish off.

I have both the Chinese & Soviet versions but find neither particularly satisfactory compared to the Tree version: Chinese keeps speed & altitude but has sucky firepower, Soviet is not so fast & has sucky altitude but gets the 6* 50cal firepower, not sure if the rockets are worth the performance hit.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users