Jump to content


Ballistic Expert Crew skill Question


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

outwardpanicjoe #1 Posted 18 November 2018 - 06:57 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 798 battles
  • 161
  • [SF] SF
  • Member since:
    11-13-2014
Does the ballistic  expert skill increase the field of fire along the Z axis in terms of elevation and depression of the tail gunner?

Edited by outwardpanicjoe, 18 November 2018 - 06:58 AM.


vcharng #2 Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:00 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 3889 battles
  • 872
  • Member since:
    10-25-2017

You mean the gun depression angle and the like? No, it's limited by the plane.

I mean, even if you are a crack shot, you can't fire behind your head.

 

OK, perhaps Rambo can, but you know what I mean.

 

Edit: Ah, now I know why you have such a question. Let's say the icon wasn't drawn in the most comprehensive and intuitive way. It does give you a false impression that the skill increases the field of fire (angle of fire), but no, it increases the effective RANGE of the weapon. If it used to start shooting at 500 meters, it will begin to shoot at 600 after mastering the skill (+20%).


Edited by vcharng, 18 November 2018 - 07:03 AM.


outwardpanicjoe #3 Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:20 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 798 battles
  • 161
  • [SF] SF
  • Member since:
    11-13-2014

View Postvcharng, on 18 November 2018 - 02:00 AM, said:

You mean the gun depression angle and the like? No, it's limited by the plane.

I mean, even if you are a crack shot, you can't fire behind your head.

 

OK, perhaps Rambo can, but you know what I mean.

 

Edit: Ah, now I know why you have such a question. Let's say the icon wasn't drawn in the most comprehensive and intuitive way. It does give you a false impression that the skill increases the field of fire (angle of fire), but no, it increases the effective RANGE of the weapon. If it used to start shooting at 500 meters, it will begin to shoot at 600 after mastering the skill (+20%).

 

Im not sure it does that either so it makes since that its depression and elevation on the aircraft limit that But it seem like it might help with the traverse angle of the turret in the X and Y axis  so if a turret had a field of fire of 40 degrees on a horizontal plane then you use this skill then you would have 48 degrees of horizontal traverse but in planes like the Blenheim and Beufighter that have a 360 degree turret traverse i would assume it may be a useless skill on that aircraft?     

Captain_Underpants53 #4 Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:05 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 24197 battles
  • 3,525
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    04-17-2017

View Postoutwardpanicjoe, on 18 November 2018 - 02:20 AM, said:

 

Im not sure it does that either so it makes since that its depression and elevation on the aircraft limit that But it seem like it might help with the traverse angle of the turret in the X and Y axis  so if a turret had a field of fire of 40 degrees on a horizontal plane then you use this skill then you would have 48 degrees of horizontal traverse but in planes like the Blenheim and Beufighter that have a 360 degree turret traverse i would assume it may be a useless skill on that aircraft?     

 

Increased range is not at all useless. 
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

outwardpanicjoe #5 Posted 18 November 2018 - 08:18 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 798 battles
  • 161
  • [SF] SF
  • Member since:
    11-13-2014

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 18 November 2018 - 06:05 AM, said:

 

Increased range is not at all useless. 

 

well course not but I dont think I extends your firing range it seems to suggest it increases your field of fire /sector of fire. there is equipment the that extend your firing rang but they word it like this increasing firing rang so and so % but the ballistic skill says increases the range of fire and with the image of angles of fire it could mean to extend the field of fire?

Reitousair #6 Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:51 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 10963 battles
  • 664
  • [HVAR] HVAR
  • Member since:
    08-10-2013

Ballistics Expert increases firing range.

 

It does not increase your field of fire.


I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

 

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

 


outwardpanicjoe #7 Posted 18 November 2018 - 10:15 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 798 battles
  • 161
  • [SF] SF
  • Member since:
    11-13-2014

View PostReitousair, on 18 November 2018 - 04:51 PM, said:

Ballistics Expert increases firing range.

 

It does not increase your field of fire.

 

alright thanks 

Captain_Underpants53 #8 Posted 19 November 2018 - 01:39 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 24197 battles
  • 3,525
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    04-17-2017

View Postoutwardpanicjoe, on 18 November 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

 

well course not but I dont think I extends your firing range it seems to suggest it increases your field of fire /sector of fire. there is equipment the that extend your firing rang but they word it like this increasing firing rang so and so % but the ballistic skill says increases the range of fire and with the image of angles of fire it could mean to extend the field of fire?

 

You can find out how much it extends your range by manually operating the turret and watching  the distance increase until it no longer hits the target without the BE skill.  Then equip the BE skill and see how much further it hits.  I forget if it's 15% or 20%.  Stack this with range gains from certain equipment and you've got something. 
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

blindfoId #9 Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:33 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Administrator
  • 8 battles
  • 1,321
  • Member since:
    07-19-2018

I'll answer over here as well as I was addressed via PM. Reitousair is completely right. 

The ballistic expert skill increases only firing range and have no influence on field of fire and angles. And yes, it stacks with the equipment. 



trikke #10 Posted 21 November 2018 - 02:37 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 3633 battles
  • 3,499
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

z axis?    ffs

 

i was told that there would be no math on the test


Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

outwardpanicjoe #11 Posted 21 November 2018 - 09:54 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 798 battles
  • 161
  • [SF] SF
  • Member since:
    11-13-2014

View Posttrikke, on 21 November 2018 - 09:37 AM, said:

z axis?    ffs

 

i was told that there would be no math on the test

 

i just used those terms lol for elevation and depression.

 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users