Help with Pe-2?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Dru83 #1 Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2935 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out the best way to fly the Pe-2. It doesn't really seem suited for high altitude bombing and the accuracy suffers when you go high. However, it seems like bombing at mid altitude just leaves you completely exposed to attack. So far, I've had my best success with zipping into a cap at 5,000ft and 300 mph and double tapping two medium size targets and then taking the straightest path out of the cap at high speeds. This often works, but a lot of the time, I exit with someone on my tail which means I either die on the way out of the cap or it takes forever to get clear so I can come back and finish the cap. Also, with only taking two caps per attack, it takes a while to flip a cap. So, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had any better strategies for utilizing this bomber. It is fun to fly because it is ridiculously maneuverable for a bomber. I've even used it to shoot down heavy defense fighters even though it takes forever with just two machine guns.

hoom #2 Posted 17 November 2018 - 11:36 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5114 battles

Block Quote

So far, I've had my best success with zipping into a cap at 5,000ft and 300 mph and double tapping two medium size targets and then taking the straightest path out of the cap at high speeds.

This is what I do.

Light & some Med targets can be 1 bomb each which helps do more dmg per pass.

Light/Multiroles who try to chase can generally either be deterred with tailgun (BTW prioritise the -30% dmg skill for gunner) or outrun with your much longer boost.

Heavies are generally gonna kill you though.

As a general rule if not transiting to new point after a pass I tend to hang out between the cap point & the border when reloading, its relatively rare for a player/bot player to follow you there or decide to pick up the chase.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Dru83 #3 Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:06 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2935 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
Thanks for the reply hoom. Yeah, I was kind of back and forth about double tapping all the time, but I had been having trouble with bombs missing wide even at 4-5k feet. I hate leaving targets behind for other people to get, especially when the cap is still neutral. Hmm... I had gone ahead with the crit skill for the gunner thinking that if I get lucky then they'll leave me alone, but maybe I should have gone with the -30% one. When you have someone on your tail is it better to dive to get more speed, or to just stay straight and level? A similar question would be is it better to stay straight to maximize speed or should you jink to make them miss and give your gunner a better target?

LMG #4 Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

On the Pe-2 I've been having great results from playing it as a divebomber. Here's some videos so you can see what I do:

Spoiler

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

hoom #5 Posted 18 November 2018 - 03:57 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5114 battles

Oh wow, thats a way more dynamic method than I've been using & shows well how strong those bombs actually are :great:

I have some experimenting to do.

Captain_Underpants53 #6 Posted 18 November 2018 - 04:02 AM

First Lieutenant

• 17093 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

I don't really care for the Pe's.  Neither seems capable of capping a full up base with one pass.

:sceptic:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

FreeAmmo #7 Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:29 AM

Senior Airman

• 4422 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I just got one of the PE's, historically they were pretty good. Thanks for the ideas, I was wondering how to make it work... 

LMG #8 Posted 19 November 2018 - 01:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 17 November 2018 - 11:02 PM, said:

I don't really care for the Pe's.  Neither seems capable of capping a full up base with one pass.

:sceptic:

It mostly can't, but it reloads quickly enough to do a second pass and get the cap in a more-than-reasonable amount of time. With my playstyle I usually exit the sector between dives so I'm not under constant threat from ADAs and AA fire, and when I dive I usually wiggle around to avoid getting shot at for long too  :great:

Captain_Underpants53 #9 Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:32 AM

First Lieutenant

• 17093 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

I have to avoid wiggling around too much.  Certain folks seem to want to get into my pants when I do.   I'm looking at you Klown Komedy Kompany!

:trollface:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

CorvusCorvax #10 Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:42 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2658 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View Posthoom, on 17 November 2018 - 11:36 PM, said:

This is what I do.

Light & some Med targets can be 1 bomb each which helps do more dmg per pass.

Light/Multiroles who try to chase can generally either be deterred with tailgun (BTW prioritise the -30% dmg skill for gunner) or outrun with your much longer boost.

Heavies are generally gonna kill you though.

As a general rule if not transiting to new point after a pass I tend to hang out between the cap point & the border when reloading, its relatively rare for a player/bot player to follow you there or decide to pick up the chase.

I am the opposite.  I want to find you between caps.  And I want to deplete your health to about 5-10%.  Then, I'll leave you to lawn dart, or continue flying to a cap.  One more aircraft kill, especially between cap points, makes no difference to me.  I want you in a zone when I finish you off.

I try and stay out of the tail gun's field of fire.  I don't always succeed, because I forget that even though bots are really stupid (REALLY), human-powered GAA are tougher to crack, and require thought and effort.  But even a Yak or a Zero can bring down a GAA, if the right technique is used.

hoom #11 Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:56 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5114 battles

Block Quote

I want to find you between caps.

I think you misunderstood.

As a bomber after dropping a bombload but having not flipped the cap, while waiting on the reload I'll generally hang out between the point & the nearest border because its a relatively safe spot.

Gets you out of the way of AA/Defense fighters and enemy players/bots are unlikely to come bother you there while you're reloading.

CorvusCorvax #12 Posted 20 November 2018 - 06:10 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2658 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View Posthoom, on 20 November 2018 - 01:56 AM, said:

I think you misunderstood.

As a bomber after dropping a bombload but having not flipped the cap, while waiting on the reload I'll generally hang out between the point & the nearest border because its a relatively safe spot.

Gets you out of the way of AA/Defense fighters and enemy players/bots are unlikely to come bother you there while you're reloading.

No, I understand you just fine.  Like I said - while you're reloading is a great time to knock your health way down.

LMG #13 Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 20 November 2018 - 01:10 AM, said:

No, I understand you just fine.  Like I said - while you're reloading is a great time to knock your health way down.

If you want to intercept a bomber I'd suggest doing it while it's trying to bomb, that way it has to choose between dealing with you or doing its job. If you engage them as they're reloading they'll just focus on you, probably while exiting the sector to avoid losing capture points in the worst case scenario if they're smart about it. Kinda why I also prefer the divebombing gameplay, as I can mix the bombing with evasive maneuvers to do damage either way :B

PS: Knocking the health of a bomber while its reloading isn't really the best idea, as it can just heal up while the bombs ready up. On GAAs though it's a different story, as they have a lower minimal health threshold

Edited by LMG, 20 November 2018 - 08:54 AM.

CorvusCorvax #14 Posted 20 November 2018 - 03:37 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2658 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostLMG, on 20 November 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

If you want to intercept a bomber I'd suggest doing it while it's trying to bomb, that way it has to choose between dealing with you or doing its job. If you engage them as they're reloading they'll just focus on you, probably while exiting the sector to avoid losing capture points in the worst case scenario if they're smart about it. Kinda why I also prefer the divebombing gameplay, as I can mix the bombing with evasive maneuvers to do damage either way :B

PS: Knocking the health of a bomber while its reloading isn't really the best idea, as it can just heal up while the bombs ready up. On GAAs though it's a different story, as they have a lower minimal health threshold

It's a strategy that seems to work for me - a bomber can't just heal up - if you knock down the health, it takes many fewer shots when he finally does come back into the zone.  Even with the magic healing powers bestowed by WG, that base number is smaller, and sometimes a LOT smaller.  And that also makes the bomber much more susceptible to flak.  I have had my own AA do in GAA and bombers that I have blasted most the health off of on many, many occasions.  In fact, I had one of each in a game last night.  An RB-17 and an IL-10, both of which I knocked down to about 10-20% of original HP, then flew off and did some other thing - they both came into a military base that had the clock turned almost 3/4, only to both die by AA/AAA/ADA.  No, I didn't get the credit, but it worked out to turn the clock back to our side, and I was able to work in another sector.  OK, yes, that is not as positive a strategy as waiting for them to individually come into the zone, and relies a bit on luck (why does the flak/AA seem to work so well on my planes, yet the red planes seem immune?  Hmmm, [/hamhockjones])

Killing a bomber outside the zone might actually be beneficial to him.  That way, he doesn't have to traverse the entire map to get to a new place to bomb something.  AND now has a full health pool!  That goes double for GAA that aren't fast.

Edited by CorvusCorvax, 20 November 2018 - 03:38 PM.

Captain_Underpants53 #15 Posted 20 November 2018 - 05:52 PM

First Lieutenant

• 17093 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

Block Quote

Killing a bomber outside the zone might actually be beneficial to him.  That way, he doesn't have to traverse the entire map to get to a new place to bomb something.  AND now has a full health pool!  That goes double for GAA that aren't fast.

Dang it!  Another secret revealed!

:(

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

hoom #16 Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:30 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5114 battles

Block Quote

Of course players will try to kill bombers, no kidding.

I'm saying in my experience its relatively rare that players/bots will bother to come chase and kill me when I'm a bomber hanging out in a corner of the map reloading because there is nearly always something closer to catch their attention.

CorvusCorvax #17 Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:33 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2658 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 20 November 2018 - 05:52 PM, said:

Dang it!  Another secret revealed!

:(

As the proud owner of some bombers myself, I have benefited from this "feature" on more than one occasion.  Oh, and all my boost restored.  :)

trikke #18 Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:36 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2804 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i'm having some trouble hitting stuff while divebombing in the pe-2 m-something

i'm sure there's a trick to it, like clicking a string at the 'wall' 

hints?

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Captain_Underpants53 #19 Posted 21 November 2018 - 03:29 AM

First Lieutenant

• 17093 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

View Posttrikke, on 20 November 2018 - 08:36 PM, said:

hints?

I wouldn't mind hearing some hints myself.  I use it as a level bomber.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

LMG #20 Posted 21 November 2018 - 04:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View Posttrikke, on 20 November 2018 - 08:36 PM, said:

hints?

Preferably dive at an angle of 40° or higher so you can see the reticle. Also keep an eye on heavy ADAs, if they get on your tail you might straight up die, so you'll have to dodge them by flying towards them. And start pulling up as you reach your minimum optimal altitude, any lower and you're risking self-damage from bomb blasts. Oh, and remember to not fly straight or the AA will chew you up, keep wiggling as much as possible, especially when you're pulling out of a dive. Here's another video for reference:

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users