Glorious UK Multiroles WG When

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

trikke #21 Posted 21 December 2018 - 01:31 AM

Captain

• 3185 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i see great pilots doing so well in MRs, but i just can't see the attraction 

i've typed those same words every 3 months like clockwork, but this time, i really gave the 190 line a try since i typed them last

the Dora surely is fun, but i only live for a couple of minutes at a time      horizontal boosting away has only worked once, maybe twice

but...  i see my friend SpiritFoxMY carving a huge hole through the red team all the darn time, so it just takes a more disciplined pilot than me, i guess

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

vcharng #22 Posted 21 December 2018 - 01:34 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 3387 battles

View PostWhiteKnight416, on 21 December 2018 - 01:19 AM, said:

Let's be Honest... most MRs cant pace HFs anyway, and the fact that it's a Piston plane at T8 is hardly a big deal, the vast majority of planes at T8 are Piston driven. Premiums aside, only Germany and the USSR have Jets at T8 (edit, and one very ugly an maneuverable UK HF), and even then only on a couple of lines.

On the flip side the bomb/rocket loads look pretty solid

Usually the least maneuverable MRs should be able to bite the tail of a HF long enough to shoot it down. Tornado and Hurricanes are maneuverable enough, so I won't ask them to be able to do so, but for Typhoon and Tempest... They need to be fast enough to compensate for their terrible turn rate, and I'm not sure if the glorified 18-second boost is enough for that.

Yeah they have decent air-to-ground loadout, but they're not GAAs. Who are the other "MRs who can only be decent GAAs"? the Fws and the F2G. And how did they fare?

Bad. That's what I'm worrying about.

Excluding the non-fighters, the super-maneuverable LFs (<9 second) and jets, what do we have? Corsairs, Me 209s, Mustangs, and others. How are they doing? let's say subpar.

So I'd say being a non-jet in T8 is sincerely a problem.

LMG #23 Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View Posttrikke, on 20 December 2018 - 08:31 PM, said:

i see great pilots doing so well in MRs, but i just can't see the attraction 

i've typed those same words every 3 months like clockwork, but this time, i really gave the 190 line a try since i typed them last

the Dora surely is fun, but i only live for a couple of minutes at a time      horizontal boosting away has only worked once, maybe twice

but...  i see my friend SpiritFoxMY carving a huge hole through the red team all the darn time, so it just takes a more disciplined pilot than me, i guess

In general, Multiroles have either heavy firepower, access to outboard ordnance, or a combination of both. Aside of that, I personally fly them because I don't trust my allied GAAs on getting the job done, and I certainly do not trust my bots either :sceptic:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

hoom #24 Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7101 battles

Block Quote

Is it just me or are these T7-9 British MRs look horrible?

Its not the agility but the speed that bothers me.

T6 Typhoon & T7 Tempest like everyone assumed they'd be would be among the fastest of their tiers, at these tiers the're among the slowest.

Its possible that the huge horsepower will help keep average speed high though?

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

vcharng #25 Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:35 AM

• 3387 battles

View Posthoom, on 21 December 2018 - 02:17 AM, said:

Its not the agility but the speed that bothers me.

T6 Typhoon & T7 Tempest like everyone assumed they'd be would be among the fastest of their tiers, at these tiers the're among the slowest.

Its possible that the huge horsepower will help keep average speed high though?

If it lacks speed but has agility, it's fine.

If it lacks agility but has speed, it's fine.

But T7-T9 UK MRs looks like they have neither (pronounced Nai-ther as this is a UK plane).

LMG #26 Posted 21 December 2018 - 04:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View Postvcharng, on 20 December 2018 - 09:35 PM, said:

But T7-T9 UK MRs looks like they have neither (pronounced Nai-ther as this is a UK plane).

For multiroles the Tempest and the Sea Hawk look decent enough.The Typhoon though looks really rough, with no real speed or maneuverability to speak of, hopefully at least the ordnance reloads quickly enough :unsure:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

vcharng #27 Posted 21 December 2018 - 05:27 AM

• 3387 battles

View PostLMG, on 21 December 2018 - 04:29 AM, said:

For multiroles the Tempest and the Sea Hawk look decent enough.The Typhoon though looks really rough, with no real speed or maneuverability to speak of, hopefully at least the ordnance reloads quickly enough :unsure:

If I remember correctly it also has the worst stock grind, need more than 20K exp before you can have anything better than 12x .303s.

WhiteKnight416 #28 Posted 21 December 2018 - 03:09 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4181 battles
  • [PZB] PZB

View Postvcharng, on 21 December 2018 - 02:35 AM, said:

The Tempest is actually marginally more maneuverable than a Super Corsair, 10.8 turn tone vs 11.4 and marginally faster, (something like 10-20 kmh between cruise/dive)

At the price of maybe over weaker ground attack capability and a few hit points, not bad over all

Edited by WhiteKnight416, 21 December 2018 - 04:51 PM.

vcharng #29 Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:21 PM

• 3387 battles

View PostWhiteKnight416, on 21 December 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

The Tempest is actually marginally more maneuverable than a Super Corsair, 10.8 turn tone vs 11.4 and marginally faster, (something like 10-20 kmh between cruise/dive)

At the price of maybe over weaker ground attack capability and a few hit points, not bad over all

And F2G is probably the worst T8 in the whole game.

Sure, the tempest isn't going to be the worst MR at tier, but still pretty problematic.

WhiteKnight416 #30 Posted 22 December 2018 - 08:57 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4181 battles
  • [PZB] PZB

View Postvcharng, on 21 December 2018 - 11:21 PM, said:

And F2G is probably the worst T8 in the whole game.

Sure, the tempest isn't going to be the worst MR at tier, but still pretty problematic.

I dare say the Su-9 is worse... though beyond MRs the current Meta hasn't done the 262 any favours... plus I never really had any performance issues with the F2G, unlike its Fat cousin the XP-72

The Tempest is likely going to be fine, none of the MRs at T8 are dog fighters, the 360 turn tone on the BV is the same as the Tempest, but the BV gets an advantage for a faster roll. Conversely the BV cant hit ground targets worth a damn

vcharng #31 Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:43 AM

• 3387 battles

View PostWhiteKnight416, on 22 December 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

I dare say the Su-9 is worse... though beyond MRs the current Meta hasn't done the 262 any favours... plus I never really had any performance issues with the F2G, unlike its Fat cousin the XP-72

The Tempest is likely going to be fine, none of the MRs at T8 are dog fighters, the 360 turn tone on the BV is the same as the Tempest, but the BV gets an advantage for a faster roll. Conversely the BV cant hit ground targets worth a damn

And BV has a jet engine and supposedly would fly faster.

WhiteKnight416 #32 Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:58 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4181 battles
  • [PZB] PZB

The BV does have a bit of a top speed advantage but also terrible boost, and as I pointed out, really can't hit ground targets worth a damn

The Tempest also has better guns than the BV

Edited by WhiteKnight416, 23 December 2018 - 10:02 PM.

hoom #33 Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7101 battles

So a bunch of ppl have got hold of these now, whats peoples' opinion?

I've got the Typhoon now, not really played enough to get a good handle on it yet.

Crappy stock grind though: having to upgrade the fuselage first before mounting 20mm is pretty horrid.

12* 303s stock on the Tornado at T6 is OK but in T7 grinding out 18,000 XP with 303s to get the 20mm is unreasonable.

Facing Tempests they are at least decently agile & seem reasonably quick?

I haven't been able to get a good look yet but seems upgrades switch out the chin radiator for wing root?

Looking at the upgrades: Sabre V was on Tempest VI, some stuff moved from chin to wing root radiators.

But with Sabre VII it may actually bump it to technically a Fury afterall!

Fury prototype LA610 had that engine, was faster than Centaurus powered Fury, big chin radiator is gone, mostly moved to wing leading edge giving a P-51 like nose profile :unsure:https://navalairhist...est-fury-la610/

StoptheViolins #34 Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2179 battles
Sea Hawk is fun.. you can TnB with it and run away when facing a better TnB.  The forward guns are pretty good.

SpiritFoxMY #35 Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:42 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4462 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Posthoom, on 10 January 2019 - 09:42 PM, said:

So a bunch of ppl have got hold of these now, whats peoples' opinion?

I've got the Typhoon now, not really played enough to get a good handle on it yet.

Crappy stock grind though: having to upgrade the fuselage first before mounting 20mm is pretty horrid.

12* 303s stock on the Tornado at T6 is OK but in T7 grinding out 18,000 XP with 303s to get the 20mm is unreasonable.

Facing Tempests they are at least decently agile & seem reasonably quick?

I haven't been able to get a good look yet but seems upgrades switch out the chin radiator for wing root?

Looking at the upgrades: Sabre V was on Tempest VI, some stuff moved from chin to wing root radiators.

But with Sabre VII it may actually bump it to technically a Fury afterall!

Fury prototype LA610 had that engine, was faster than Centaurus powered Fury, big chin radiator is gone, mostly moved to wing leading edge giving a P-51 like nose profile :unsure:https://navalairhist...est-fury-la610/

Typhoon is a really good airplane fully upgraded. Its hard stats are rubbish but its soft/hidden stats are what make it shine - it has excellent command of the controls, especially the all important rudder so making hard maneuvers is actually possible in this plane. Its boost is spectacular and can carry it up to altitudes it has no business being in. Its certainly more powerful than the boost on the Corsairs and lasts a full two to three seconds longer. Once I have this plane Specialized, it will give my beloved Dora a run for its money as my go-to tier 7 hard carry if for no other reason than its altitude performance is better.

The Tempest is just straight out the best classic multirole of tier 8, IMO. It isn't as fast but retains the excellent controllability and superb boost of the Typhoon while being as maneuverable as a Mustang or MiG. And like most British airplanes, it treats altitude as a suggestion rather than a strict limit.  It just kicks the asses of the XP-72 and F2G without breaking a sweat and can duel with tier 9s if it needs to. (another shameless self promotion below)

Unfortunately, as you can also see, the fully upgraded Tempest retains the Hawker's Maw.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 10 January 2019 - 02:43 PM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

GonerNL #36 Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 958 battles

I was very not impressed when I first got the Typhoon and Tempest.

Only got killed a lot ... now that I've got them on elite and some equipment and decent pilot added, I'm getting better results !! Fast and reasonably maneuverable. And tough.

Using the Typhoon for ground attack - extra armor - and Tempest more for fighting - lightweight stuff - to see what I like best.

Flying on NA and EU servers

WhiteKnight416 #37 Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:29 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4181 battles
  • [PZB] PZB

View PostGonerNL, on 10 January 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

I was very not impressed when I first got the Typhoon and Tempest.

Only got killed a lot ... now that I've got them on elite and some equipment and decent pilot added, I'm getting better results !! Fast and reasonably maneuverable. And tough.

Using the Typhoon for ground attack - extra armor - and Tempest more for fighting - lightweight stuff - to see what I like best.

Yeah a stock Typhoon is a very sad craft, once you get some munitions and at least the first airframe and cannon upgrade it's a much more effective plane.

hoom #38 Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7101 battles

Block Quote

Unfortunately, as you can also see, the fully upgraded Tempest retains the Hawker's Maw.

I'm kinda relieved, the idea of loads of Tempests running around looking like that Fury prototype wasn't a happy thought.

Not sure what I thought I was seeing then, probably glimpses of SeaFang?

I've been alt-tabbing to a half-screen browser during respawn waits & its mainly during those I've thought I saw glimpses of chin-less Tempests.

Good to see Typhoon & Tempest seem worthy despite apparently meh stats :)

Worth pushing on for Tempest then? I've pushed pretty hard last few days to get up to 568 candies, Tempest is in reach at 640, but then a huge jump to the cammo at 1000 and 1240 for the nose art and I'm not convinced I'll make it anywhere near that.

SpiritFoxMY #39 Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:22 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4462 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Tempest is worth it. What you're seeing are probably stock or 2nd engine airplanes as the maw is a characteristic of the elite airplane

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

CorvusCorvax #40 Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:47 AM

Captain

• 3385 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostWhiteKnight416, on 10 January 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

Yeah a stock Typhoon is a very sad craft, once you get some munitions and at least the first airframe and cannon upgrade it's a much more effective plane.

You're not kidding.  I rageXPd past all the stock grind, and the elited Typhoon is a very good T7 MRF.  I would call it an equal of the Dora, and I love the Dora.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users