B-17G Drops ALL 8 Bombs with 1 click.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Fkn_Ra #1 Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:31 AM

Airman Basic

• 2175 battles
  • [-FP-] -FP-
/start rant
Yes I know that once upgraded it will have 2 sets of 8. 
I just finished the grind to get my shiny new T6 bomber and go to take it out on it's first mission. And guess what? 
IT DUMPS THE ENTIRE BOMB LOAD IN ONE CLICK! REALLY? 
Tell me where, on ANY map, an 8 bomb load like that can be put to effective use. Even if it was 4 and 4, I'd be cool with it. But all 8? Who's idea was this?
I wan't whatever they were smoking when they made that decision.
I know balance is a thing, but after that ridiculous grind you end up with something that's barely functional (in game) with a 60 second reload? 
After hoping and praying and finally getting some "semi-non-premium" US Bombers, we get this. 
All I can say is I'm utterly disappointed with the performance of your "Fabulous new heavy hitters..."

Block Quote

These aircraft are perfectly suited for the rapid capture of well-protected sectors with a large number of objects. In a single pass, these machines can easily destroy a huge number of targets, and then, on their way back, complete the task and wipe out the enemy’s buildings.

I get that the "Gotcha" is "In a single pass."
But even lining up perfectly on a Mine/Factory bombs are wasted. 
If anyone is thinking about doing the grind to get these early, based on my initial experience, stick to the German bombers or the A-26B until they fix this. 
/end wall of text

TL: DR New B17-G is a total let down after that grind. sadface.

SpiritFoxMY #2 Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:43 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3735 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostFkn_Ra, on 10 November 2018 - 04:31 PM, said:

/start rant
Yes I know that once upgraded it will have 2 sets of 8. 
I just finished the grind to get my shiny new T6 bomber and go to take it out on it's first mission. And guess what? 
IT DUMPS THE ENTIRE BOMB LOAD IN ONE CLICK! REALLY? 
Tell me where, on ANY map, an 8 bomb load like that can be put to effective use. Even if it was 4 and 4, I'd be cool with it. But all 8? Who's idea was this?
I wan't whatever they were smoking when they made that decision.
I know balance is a thing, but after that ridiculous grind you end up with something that's barely functional (in game) with a 60 second reload? 
After hoping and praying and finally getting some "semi-non-premium" US Bombers, we get this. 
All I can say is I'm utterly disappointed with the performance of your "Fabulous new heavy hitters..."

I get that the "Gotcha" is "In a single pass."
But even lining up perfectly on a Mine/Factory bombs are wasted. 
If anyone is thinking about doing the grind to get these early, based on my initial experience, stick to the German bombers or the A-26B until they fix this. 
/end wall of text

TL: DR New B17-G is a total let down after that grind. sadface.

I assume you aren't on Discord because everyone on Discord knew this was coming. Even the tier 7 dumps all twenty bombs in a single stick. I've heard people can make it work but I myself am skeptical (even while I'm preparing for my own grind to the B-17D)

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

PoliticallyIncorrectName #3 Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:45 AM

Master Sergeant

• 7861 battles

Mount 16 bomb loadout then.

I only got the tier V one; workable on plants but I feel that half of my bombs are dropped needlessly; a big difference from that tier IV german premium that drops stacks of 8 as well, but they are much smaller and has faster reload.

Fkn_Ra #4 Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:25 AM

Airman Basic

• 2175 battles
  • [-FP-] -FP-

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 10 November 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

I assume you aren't on Discord because everyone on Discord knew this was coming. Even the tier 7 dumps all twenty bombs in a single stick. I've heard people can make it work but I myself am skeptical (even while I'm preparing for my own grind to the B-17D)

No, not a fan of Discord in general.
I've upgraded to the "doublestack" of 16. I'm still questioning how this is balanced. I look at the US bombers and then the German Bombers (and A26-B) and if I'm picking something that I know is going to be effective, there is no question which one I'd pick.

I'm a completion-ist so I'm going to play these things, and get them to elite on all 3 because I like seeing them in the hanger fully upgraded. Maybe they'll grow on me? But as of right now, I don't see how they can be competitive with the other lines. 

ahab_AF #5 Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:28 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 441 battles
  • [DAV] DAV
I have just got the tier V (B-17D) and i must say that as it is they got it pretty accurate on how this plane preformed.  As much as i would love to ether have less on the drop or more bombs it might make it a bit to much.  But it does allow you to drop from a high Altitude and still hit your target.  I feel with a little bit of adjusting and getting used to this type of aircraft will bring a lot to the game.

trikke #6 Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:41 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2804 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

and i'm thinking that we'll see more accidental team kills of poor unsuspecting blue GAs 

on the other hand...  taking out 2-3 red GAs with one string might be possible?

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

SpiritFoxMY #7 Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:48 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3735 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Posttrikke, on 10 November 2018 - 10:41 PM, said:

and i'm thinking that we'll see more accidental team kills of poor unsuspecting blue GAs 

Angel (on Discord) has a video of him carpet-bombing a bomber flight.

vonluckner #8 Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:42 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 722 battles
  • [PLSGO] PLSGO

B-32 seems fine. The twenty-drop is enough to get you across a cap zone, and I've been able to take out 3 or more sites in one go. Sometimes you'll get owned by RNG and miss a building or two, so I found it effective to try and make my run over all the half-killed sites. It's not an efficient plane, but that's a product of how slow it is. I imagine the B-17 is even worse. 8 500lb bombs might get two sites if they're tightly clustered, but you're probably just going to get one big site per pass if you're trying to be thorough. One site every 60 seconds on something that slow... yikes.

Unfortunately, the B-17 was always going to be hard to balance. It was large and slow and didn't have a very big bomb bay. There was no way it was going to be a high impact aircraft unless they turned it into a precision bomber which isn't really fitting with the theme of the line, and would make it a nightmare to balance. Didn't carry a large enough bomb load to carpet bomb in WOWP, but 10x 1000lb bombs dropped individually, or even in pairs would have been way, way overkill.

comtedumas #9 Posted 11 November 2018 - 03:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6416 battles
  • [FK] FK
You have to plan your drops so you get one major target and one minor target in the string.  Typically that means something like a aa gun site and a group of factories, or the middle plane factory all in one drop.  Just wait till you get the B-32, I got 4 ground targets in one drop last night by wig-wagging the wings and going to full boost just as I dropped.  It’s an interesting change.  

Edited by comtedumas, 11 November 2018 - 03:34 PM.

comtedumas #10 Posted 11 November 2018 - 03:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6416 battles
  • [FK] FK

View Posttrikke, on 10 November 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

scared the crap out of me the first time I was under s B-32 when he dropped on top of me.  I thought I was in that episode of Airwolf when String was caught in a B-52 bomb drop exercise.....holy crap....

Edited by comtedumas, 11 November 2018 - 10:00 PM.

comtedumas #11 Posted 11 November 2018 - 03:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6416 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 10 November 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

Angel (on Discord) has a video of him carpet-bombing a bomber flight.

sorry I missed that....

LMG #12 Posted 11 November 2018 - 06:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

The B-17D works in that, while it drops a full 8 bombs with each "click", they fall fairly slowly compared to other Bombers like the He 111 or the Ju 88 A. On top of that the bombs are a lot more destructive than the ones on those two examples; they're even stronger than the FAB-100 on the RB-17. So basically you indeed try to line up at least 2 ground targets, 3 if possible (preferably the biggest ones around) and let them lose. You can still steer a bit if there's an extra target nearby, but don't try to turn around to clean up the one building you missed as the bombs drop, you're just gonna waste the rest of your ordnance.

I have to try it a bit more to really say if it works or not though, so maybe I'll do a video on the B-17D which is the one I own :sceptic:

Edited by LMG, 11 November 2018 - 06:57 PM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

trikke #13 Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:33 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2804 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

so... the D drops the string slowly     i might be able to work with that

about how many seconds?    would you guess 10 seconds?    more?

LMG #14 Posted 11 November 2018 - 11:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View Posttrikke, on 11 November 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

so... the D drops the string slowly     i might be able to work with that

about how many seconds?    would you guess 10 seconds?    more?

Certainly not enough. After playing with the B-17D for a while the only really good thing it has is the bottom reargun being worth the investment. At best you can take out 3 ground targets, usually you'll have to cut corners to reach 2 ground targets, and probably not even good ones. Add to that the 80 second reload time for 2 strings and you end up with a Bomber that's mostly for show.

For comparison, with the Pe-2 I can take out about 4 ground targets in a dive, and by the time I reach my normal altitude I'm ready to dive for another 4. Hell, the He 111 H-2 can basically guarantee 4 dead ground targets per payload, on top of reloading in 60 seconds. With the B-17D you can't even guarantee 2 dead ground targets :amazed:

trikke #15 Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:46 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2804 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

just worked up to the Pe2 M-something this week...   flew it a couple of times with poor to middling results

same as the a-26, i'm torn between bombing and shooting at planes          with the exact same stupid results

i need to zip-tie my trigger finger to my middle finger next time, just to keep from firing the guns      well, maybe rubber band instead           

then fly the Pe like a proper dive bomber

comtedumas #16 Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6416 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostLMG, on 11 November 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

Certainly not enough. After playing with the B-17D for a while the only really good thing it has is the bottom reargun being worth the investment. At best you can take out 3 ground targets, usually you'll have to cut corners to reach 2 ground targets, and probably not even good ones. Add to that the 80 second reload time for 2 strings and you end up with a Bomber that's mostly for show.

For comparison, with the Pe-2 I can take out about 4 ground targets in a dive, and by the time I reach my normal altitude I'm ready to dive for another 4. Hell, the He 111 H-2 can basically guarantee 4 dead ground targets per payload, on top of reloading in 60 seconds. With the B-17D you can't even guarantee 2 dead ground targets :amazed:

that will change when you can specialize it and put on the reload racks.  Should being the reload down to something manageable.  

LMG #17 Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View Postcomtedumas, on 11 November 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

that will change when you can specialize it and put on the reload racks.  Should being the reload down to something manageable.  

Yea, except my Bomber specialization progress is dead-turtle-on-its-back slow. Even on the Pe-2 M-82, which has earned several Doolittles already. At least the B-17D can kill stuff with the bottom turret reliably, the M-82 can't even kill with the frontal gun reliably (damn sparkles :angry:)

SpiritFoxMY #18 Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:48 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3735 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Posttrikke, on 12 November 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

just worked up to the Pe2 M-something this week...   flew it a couple of times with poor to middling results

same as the a-26, i'm torn between bombing and shooting at planes          with the exact same stupid results

i need to zip-tie my trigger finger to my middle finger next time, just to keep from firing the guns      well, maybe rubber band instead           

Fly a bomber without front guns :trollface:

GonerNL #19 Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:55 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 875 battles

View Posttrikke, on 12 November 2018 - 02:46 AM, said:

Exactly. When flying at alt, my Pe-2 dies several times each battle from AA or fighters ... more than other bombers, I think.

Problem with dive-bombing is that you don't get the aiming circle on the ground ... ?

Flying on NA and EU servers

LMG #20 Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View PostGonerNL, on 12 November 2018 - 04:55 AM, said:

Exactly. When flying at alt, my Pe-2 dies several times each battle from AA or fighters ... more than other bombers, I think.

Problem with dive-bombing is that you don't get the aiming circle on the ground ... ?

You do, but Bombers' bomb mechanics work differently than on other planes. They fall almost straight down, so the reticle is usually behind the plane. I personally dive at about 40° to see the reticle. Otherwise I'd have to use the free camera and make slight adjustments, which is a pain to do and often makes me miss the target anyways. It takes a while to get used to it as well because when you don't use the Bombing Camera you don't get the dot in the center of the aiming circle for some reason, guess that dot really eats up into our fps :sceptic:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users