Why no Ventral Ball turret on the B17s?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Martymart1976 #1 Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:14 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4283 battles
  • [FK] FK

Good Evening All, 

My buddy and I were flying tonight when I did a flyby in game and noticed there was NO ventral (bottom) ball turret the B17D.   I went into the hangar after battle to see if maybe it wasn't researched yet but it was not a researchable module.  Wargaming did you even research this?  The ventral ball turret is an iconic fixture of the American B17 line... does this make the plane too OP, no wait, the firing cut outs I here really hold back the bombers self defense machine guns.  Please fix this issue post haste via an  immediate patch.  Thank you, thanks for listening.. 

-Marty

Medjoe #2 Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:57 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4565 battles
Per the wiki, early B-17 models (up to D) featured a fixed "bathtub" fairing. The E models initially were fitted with a remote control Bendix turret, but that was replaced by the Sperry ball turret, which was kept on the ensuing models (ie the tier 6 B-17G).   

"Mobilis in mobili"

"It's more than you'd expect but less than you'd hope."

"Promise nothing and deliver less."

"This is either gonna be the biggest pork chop I ever ate... or my bulldozer."

HANNIBAL_LECTER_1 #3 Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:02 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3857 battles
  • [FALCO] FALCO

the D model did not have a ball-turret....the G has it. 

http://forum.worldof...are-ridiculous/

Martymart1976 #4 Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4283 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostHANNIBAL_LECTER_1, on 08 November 2018 - 10:02 PM, said:

the D model did not have a ball-turret....the G has it. 

http://forum.worldof...are-ridiculous/

If you look, the G model does NOT have a researchable ball turret... it is NOT on the upgrade modules in the tech tree... this is my beef Sir...my mistake on the model however...

Bobby_Tables #5 Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 4145 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

Oh Dear God, I cannot type that!  [Self Censor].

Sorry for the intrusion.  

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 09 November 2018 - 05:11 AM.

Dru83 #6 Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:04 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2489 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Martymart, it appears they had an issue with the upgrade screen that they couldn't make it wide enough to handle all the guns (13) on the B-17 G. So, they simply put them underneath some of the other guns. Unfortunately, this is very confusing because they look like the standard upgradable modules, but if you look carefully, there aren't any arrows going from the top module to the bottom module like there are when modules are upgradeable. It appears the only gun that is upgradeable is the rear gun. All the other gun modules are standard modules. The top turret lists a single .50 mg and has a double mg turret underneath. This is showing both the radioman's single gun and the pair of .50s in the top turret, not that the top turret is upgradeable. If you look under side turrets, it shows a single gun, a double gun, and then another single gun turret. This is referring to a waist gun, then the double .50 ball turret, and then the other waist gun. If you count the front, top, and side guns, plus the upgraded tail module, you will get 13 total guns.

The ball turret is on the plane and on the module list, they just don't call it a ball turret, which makes things confusing.

Edited by Dru83, 09 November 2018 - 12:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users