Big Ol' Bombers a Coming

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Captain_Underpants53 #21 Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:17 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 13740 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostwylleEcoyote, on 07 November 2018 - 07:04 PM, said:

well thats definitely gonna change how bombers bomb.
One pass for one half of the zone
one pass for the other half. 

and that's it leave and go get the next cap.

with RNG determining whatever buildings are still standing for GAA to focus on.
btw if you drop em 20 at a time how soon before you flip the cap anyway because an ADA flew into one of the bombs :trollface:

Aaand last but not least ...
if you get close enough to shoot at them with light or Heavy machine guns. They can and will shoot back with as many if not more.

so the only "safe" method of engagement will be to get juuuust within effective cannon ranges @ 6-700 m

Soooo many light fighter tears:trollface:

With that said pretty soon we are gonna see more coordinated bomber flights that can flip a cap in one pass. But are therefore required to only attack from certain directions to have efficient bomb drops.

They do have more but remember that, from most angles, only one turret has a shot, so to speak.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

EZP_MRKARP #22 Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:10 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4274 battles

soon that will be all thats in the air bombers so the game will be all ga and bombers how boring,so every one will give up and all fly bombers ,its bad now fighters cant even get that high to attack them now and you wonder why 85 per cent of the players left

Captain_Underpants53 #23 Posted 08 November 2018 - 01:04 PM

• 13740 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

LOL.  We bombed them all away!  It's all our fault.

:amazed:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

wylleEcoyote #24 Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:12 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1977 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS

View PostEZP_MRKARP, on 08 November 2018 - 11:10 AM, said:

soon that will be all thats in the air bombers so the game will be all ga and bombers how boring,so every one will give up and all fly bombers ,its bad now fighters cant even get that high to attack them now and you wonder why 85 per cent of the players left

I WAS going to grind out the 109 F. But i guess I'm going back to German Heavy fighters with the anti tank guns, instead.

Azis_ #25 Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 340 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_
I don't have any, nor do I have any intention of pursuing bombers....pretty sure they still sell board games that would be more exciting. Maybe checkers!
rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

KonigTiger42 #26 Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:45 PM

Senior Airman

• 2171 battles
So 1 click drops 8 bombs at once? If that's the case how do you hit multiple targets? 8 bombs dropped on the mining plant seems overkill. I probably won't get the bombers so if someone can explain that, thanks.

Azis_ #27 Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 340 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_
Just a fleeting thought, but....if you really want the bomber experience, how bout humans have to man the turrets and AI fly's the bombing run....  :ohmy:
rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

ElricJC #28 Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:29 AM

Senior Airman

• 2216 battles
  • [E-S-S] E-S-S

I just got the B-17D this morning, and I have to admit I find it difficult to use. The two massive carpet bomb loads seem less useful to the load of the, say, Do 217M. Frankly I am not a good bomber player, so that certainly has a lot to do with that, but with the carpet bombing I find it difficult to line up a decent attack run on multiple objects. For the mine, it's easier, but the bombing is so indiscriminate that the bombers like the Do 217M can put more payload on specific targets. 

I might be off base, or just not "getting it" but it just seems off.

WhiteKnight416 #29 Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:49 AM

Master Sergeant

• 2740 battles
  • [PZB] PZB

View PostElricJC, on 09 November 2018 - 12:29 AM, said:

I just got the B-17D this morning, and I have to admit I find it difficult to use. The two massive carpet bomb loads seem less useful to the load of the, say, Do 217M. Frankly I am not a good bomber player, so that certainly has a lot to do with that, but with the carpet bombing I find it difficult to line up a decent attack run on multiple objects. For the mine, it's easier, but the bombing is so indiscriminate that the bombers like the Do 217M can put more payload on specific targets. 

Sounds like the answer is, like a good attack pilot, you need to take the time to really line up your run so your carpet covers the maximum number of targets/cap points

comtedumas #30 Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 5554 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostElricJC, on 08 November 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

1.  Don't use the strings from the B-17s on small targets, big ones only. 

2.  If you plan your drop properly, you can stretch that string out over two ground targets and kill them both.  

3.  Multi-tired climb outs to altitude are going to be the norm, 15% climb angle at best and take your time, otherwise you will be stalling out and never get to a sector to even start dropping bombs.  First mission I was chasing everybody else around and only got to drop two strings....

4.  Pilot skills are going to matter a lot.  Right now I am running demolition and the two engine skills and it has made a huge difference.  

5.  Reload rack modules are going to be mandatory, 70+ second reloads aren't going to cut it, and it's only going to get worse if you use a  bombsite.  

Captain_Underpants53 #31 Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:32 AM

• 13740 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostAzis_, on 08 November 2018 - 03:01 PM, said:

I don't have any, nor do I have any intention of pursuing bombers....pretty sure they still sell board games that would be more exciting. Maybe checkers!

For more excitement just go lower!

:playing:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Captain_Underpants53 #32 Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:34 AM

• 13740 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostKonigTiger42, on 08 November 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

So 1 click drops 8 bombs at once? If that's the case how do you hit multiple targets? 8 bombs dropped on the mining plant seems overkill. I probably won't get the bombers so if someone can explain that, thanks.

The new bombers drop slow strings.  If you line up right you can take out at least two, sometimes three.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

comtedumas #33 Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 5554 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 09 November 2018 - 12:34 AM, said:

The new bombers drop slow strings.  If you line up right you can take out at least two, sometimes three.

and the bombs are big enough to do some serious damage.  

Azis_ #34 Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 340 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 08 November 2018 - 09:32 PM, said:

For more excitement just go lower!

:playing:

Good call...till game crashed

blindfoId #35 Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:40 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Administrator
  • 7 battles

View Postcomtedumas, on 09 November 2018 - 07:19 AM, said:

1.  Don't use the strings from the B-17s on small targets, big ones only. 

2.  If you plan your drop properly, you can stretch that string out over two ground targets and kill them both.  

3.  Multi-tired climb outs to altitude are going to be the norm, 15% climb angle at best and take your time, otherwise you will be stalling out and never get to a sector to even start dropping bombs.  First mission I was chasing everybody else around and only got to drop two strings....

4.  Pilot skills are going to matter a lot.  Right now I am running demolition and the two engine skills and it has made a huge difference.  

5.  Reload rack modules are going to be mandatory, 70+ second reloads aren't going to cut it, and it's only going to get worse if you use a  bombsite.  

Some really good tips!

Carpet bombing is the main feature of the new shiny USA bombers. Probably, we need to get used to it and planning your drops is the key to success. :playing:

wylleEcoyote #36 Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:21 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1977 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS
So they are like a He 111 for higher tiers. long sticks, covered in guns not really fast and re-donk-u-lous altitude for hiding (but sad RNG if  you use it for bombing).

LMG #37 Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2248 battles

View PostwylleEcoyote, on 09 November 2018 - 08:21 AM, said:

So they are like a He 111 for higher tiers. long sticks, covered in guns not really fast and re-donk-u-lous altitude for hiding (but sad RNG if  you use it for bombing).

Not really, the He 111 can opt to take out single-targets with its 4 strings rather than try to hit multiple with one. With the B-17s you only have 2 that reload 20 seconds slower, which means you have to get several ground targets with each string or you won't make any progress. I personally prefer the He 111's gameplay, but we'll see if I can get the Fortresses to work somewhat reliably :sceptic:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Wombatmetal #38 Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:00 AM

• 1044 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostLMG, on 09 November 2018 - 08:05 AM, said:

Not really, the He 111 can opt to take out single-targets with its 4 strings rather than try to hit multiple with one. With the B-17s you only have 2 that reload 20 seconds slower, which means you have to get several ground targets with each string or you won't make any progress. I personally prefer the He 111's gameplay, but we'll see if I can get the Fortresses to work somewhat reliably :sceptic:

Haven't had a chance to fly my fort yet, but even on my He 111, I tried to line up targets and it was a race if the first drop completed before I needed to make the next drop. 

I think this will work out. Question is what bomber do I stick my one good crew in. Maybe B32?

Captain_Underpants53 #39 Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:32 AM

• 13740 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostWombatmetal, on 09 November 2018 - 07:00 PM, said:

Haven't had a chance to fly my fort yet, but even on my He 111, I tried to line up targets and it was a race if the first drop completed before I needed to make the next drop. 

I think this will work out. Question is what bomber do I stick my one good crew in. Maybe B32?

Yes!

:D

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

ElricJC #40 Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:51 AM

Senior Airman

• 2216 battles
  • [E-S-S] E-S-S
Thank you comtedumas, that was really helpful. Right now I just barely got all the modules researched and am just using the base crew, so yeah I need skills and equipment. I'll give it another stab :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users