what's 'different' about top pilots?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Zaikadi #21 Posted 03 November 2018 - 03:34 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 955 battles

trikke, your stats are significantly better than mine, so you must be doing something right, or I'm doing something wrong.

I have to admit, I have learned one of Fox's tricks. I'm getting pretty good at squeezing off a minimum burst, just enough to take down the target. This is a habit developed from overheating the guns so much. I want to get that cool-down started as soon as possible.

Captain_Underpants53 #22 Posted 03 November 2018 - 09:15 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 13740 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostBobby_Tables, on 02 November 2018 - 08:27 PM, said:

Some people have the ability to almost be like Neo and see the code.  Others, like me, don't see the patterns and get lost in the noise.  Sometimes I recognize the patterns, like with the AI defender heavies always teaming up, but other things escape me.  

I had a roommate in college who would never attend the lectures, read the course book once, and go in and ace (or strong A) all his tests.  He had a total photographic memory.  Meanwhile I attended all lectures, took massive notes, did all practice questions twice and barely squeaked out B's with the occasional A.  

Some people just see and absorb everything around them and can operate on a level that I simply cannot.  Does that mean I am stupid?  Far from it.  Some are just inclined to certain things and while I can read, write and comprehend some high level technical stuff, I just simply don't see the patterns unfold like others.  

Probably why there were so few aces who came out of WWII and Korea intact.  Some just have a knack for it and others either survive or go down in flames.  I like to think I would be the guy to come out unscathed with maybe 3 victories and some stories to tell.  Most likely, I would be buried under a little white cross in some field in France.     

If you ever get a chance to visit the US Military Cemetery in Bastogne or the one in Luxembourg. where George Patton, along with countless other Americans lie buried, You should.  I defy you to gaze upon the seemingly endless rows of white crosses without crying.  I did and I ain't ashamed of it.

:honoring:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Chuck_norris10 #23 Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:38 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 456 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 03 November 2018 - 02:15 AM, said:

If you ever get a chance to visit the US Military Cemetery in Bastogne or the one in Luxembourg. where George Patton, along with countless other Americans lie buried, You should.  I defy you to gaze upon the seemingly endless rows of white crosses without crying.  I did and I ain't ashamed of it.

Lest we forget...Vietnam.

trikke #24 Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:26 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2426 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i get target-fixated and i get distracted... sometimes almost simultaneously 

SFMY has to fly, fight, strategize and ever-so-diplomatically suggest "um, where are you going"

i used to make excuses, until i finally realized that there were no reasonable excuses for whatever i was doing

now i just don't say anything, because me

i would have been under a white cross very early in my ww2 pilot career

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

CorvusCorvax #25 Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1708 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View Posttrikke, on 03 November 2018 - 12:26 PM, said:

now i just don't say anything, because me

i would have been under a white cross very early in my ww2 pilot career

Video games and real life aren't the same thing.  Sitting at home with the luxury of switching the thing off is not the same as having your very life depending on sweating all the details. 

wylleEcoyote #26 Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:29 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1977 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS
Situational Awareness.
Good pilots know What to do  AND How to do it, when the shite hits the fan.

Great Pilots do this consistently. To the point where its done without thought. allowing them to put thought into picking up on what is going on around them in their vicinity and react accordingly

Top Pilots know how to look at the whole map and know which fan is gonna fling the poo hardest and furthest.
And then they get there early enough to be the pilot that's dropping the deuce everyone else is scrambling to clean up.
And while that mess is still being sorted they are already off to the next fan...

Edited by wylleEcoyote, 03 November 2018 - 10:40 PM.

GonerNL #27 Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:06 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 722 battles

View PostChuck_norris10, on 02 November 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

his little maintenance shack in the arctic.

Be cool

That must have been easy ....

Flying on EU and NA server

trikke #28 Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:46 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2426 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i would subscribe to an online situational awareness air combat simulator, if there was one

no shooting, just a 360 degree "will that plane affect me within 5 seconds" sim

Azis_ #29 Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 340 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View PostwylleEcoyote, on 03 November 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

Situational Awareness.
Good pilots know What to do  AND How to do it, when the shite hits the fan.

Great Pilots do this consistently. To the point where its done without thought. allowing them to put thought into picking up on what is going on around them in their vicinity and react accordingly

Top Pilots know how to look at the whole map and know which fan is gonna fling the poo hardest and furthest.
And then they get there early enough to be the pilot that's dropping the deuce everyone else is scrambling to clean up.
And while that mess is still being sorted they are already off to the next fan...

Pilots great or otherwise are not using a mouse and keyboard staring at a 2D Monitor, unless they are possibly Drone pilots which in that case their situational awareness is relayed to them via several others monitoring it.

If you think this game in any way makes anyone a pilot...please pass me one of whatever you are having....

Edited by Azis_, 05 November 2018 - 09:34 PM.

rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

GonerNL #30 Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:23 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 722 battles

View Posttrikke, on 05 November 2018 - 09:46 PM, said:

no shooting, just a 360 degree "will that plane affect me within 5 seconds" sim

Won't help against the 1-shot sniper Yak-9 bots ... 

StoptheViolins #31 Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1980 battles

View PostGonerNL, on 06 November 2018 - 04:23 AM, said:

Won't help against the 1-shot sniper Yak-9 bots ... 

I hate it when AI rolls cannon planes.  You'll be zipping along and get sniped by the one hit wonders.

egikov #32 Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:13 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 2293 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Situational awareness helps. A lot of things comes to it - what planes close to you and what the situation on the map. What bases are important, which are easier to capture, where enemies concentrate. For example, not all radar maps have bots with only two heavies, there are many that have fighters, that easier to cap with just a fighter. The map scale on the right bottom can be adjusted with 0 and 9 buttons, that's not in the keyboard settings (+ and - changes size of the map, but not scale). If you see yak-9 bot before he sees you, it's easy to shoot it, but there are not many of yak-9s in the games. There are other planes with long distance cannons, but they have its own disadvantages.

Good controls: snap to target, flaps, etc.

Also helps knowing the abilities of your own plane. Altitude (maximum optimal), speed (optimal, stall, maximum, diving), turning, gun distance(if different guns especially), types of guns, bomb/rocket reload and damage. Who to run from, who to turn fight, who to head on. If you play a single plane long enough you'll learn faster.

A good team also helps, and flights of good humans on other side can destroy your win. In that situation do as much more damage and survive longer, in that way you still make good points and even a win possible if people concentrate on you and bots will capture everything around.

Good rest helps too.

trikke #33 Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:11 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2426 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postegikov, on 07 November 2018 - 12:13 AM, said:

Situational awareness helps. A lot of things comes to it - what planes close to you and what the situation on the map. What bases are important, which are easier to capture, where enemies concentrate. For example, not all radar maps have bots with only two heavies, there are many that have fighters, that easier to cap with just a fighter. The map scale on the right bottom can be adjusted with 0 and 9 buttons, that's not in the keyboard settings (+ and - changes size of the map, but not scale). If you see yak-9 bot before he sees you, it's easy to shoot it, but there are not many of yak-9s in the games. There are other planes with long distance cannons, but they have its own disadvantages.

Good controls: snap to target, flaps, etc.

Also helps knowing the abilities of your own plane. Altitude (maximum optimal), speed (optimal, stall, maximum, diving), turning, gun distance(if different guns especially), types of guns, bomb/rocket reload and damage. Who to run from, who to turn fight, who to head on. If you play a single plane long enough you'll learn faster.

A good team also helps, and flights of good humans on other side can destroy your win. In that situation do as much more damage and survive longer, in that way you still make good points and even a win possible if people concentrate on you and bots will capture everything around.

Good rest helps too.

qft     

especially the last line           (get to bed earlier, D!    even if i beg for just one more)

GonerNL #34 Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:02 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 722 battles

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 03 November 2018 - 10:15 AM, said:

And while you're there, travel north to Margraten, Netherlands ...

https://en.wikipedia...erican_Cemetery

Got more than a lump in my throat there ... you can't look at more than 8000 graves and remain unmoved.

CorvusCorvax #35 Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1708 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View Postegikov, on 07 November 2018 - 05:13 AM, said:

Keeping your head on a swivel is key.

Last night I was flying my Dora, and lost my head for about 30 seconds.  Just enough time for a human VB10 to find me and finish off what the flak had started.  What's bad is not the shootdown, per se, but the shootdown in-zone.  I spent the rest of the battle in the same zones with Mr. VB10, and got the better of him every other time.    (Helpful hint - a heavy fighter doesn't turn well - stop getting into a horizontal turnfight with a MRF.)

At the end of my session, I flew my Yak-15, forgot that it is built from kerosene-soaked tissue paper, and dove down on a GAA.  Ooops.  I can only get away with that in my MRFs and HFs.

StoptheViolins #36 Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1980 battles
To be a top player just grind your pilot to top siikls.  Or just l33t one of the Uber planes to grind your pilot to the top skills.

comtedumas #37 Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 5554 battles
  • [FK] FK
Top pilots spot trends, and learn to exploit them.  

Blond_Knight_Ironcross #38 Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:36 PM

Airman Basic

• 506 battles

View Posttrikke, on 02 November 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

they walk around and talk just like me, but they are not like me...

I've noticed with my flight partner SpiritFoxMY that he recognizes patterns in the flow of battles, whereas i just run around and try to put out fires

but that can't just be the only part of it... they also have to fly like a computer, only sending just enough bullets downstream to kill something, and no more

he often turns away toward another target even before his first target explodes, and then that first target always explodes on cue

early civilizations equate technological advances as magical, and i qualify as an early civilization

it's magical watching videos of top pilots, and it's impossible to believe that i can ever reach that level, but...   i can dream

what building blocks result in a top level pilot?    too much Mario Bros?    too much chess?    too much caffeine?

Hi Trikke, your pic, an actor of a TV series? maybe I'm in the same age group. I dream too. 

trikke #39 Posted 08 November 2018 - 01:35 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2426 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Bob Crane

what a great life... until it was not

Bobby_Tables #40 Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 4145 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View Postcomtedumas, on 07 November 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

Top pilots spot trends, and learn to exploit them.  

Yes they do +1. 

This kinda goes back to my post.  Some have an innate ability to spot trends while with schlubs like me, it doesn't make an impact.  I just enjoy the fights and I love to win, but knowing the aspects of each map, how to approach this sector vs. that sector, which sector to take first to better your chances for a win on a certain map when you spawn at a certain place etc. etc. are things I do not do well.  

But that's OK, heck if everyone had 70%+ win rates, then no one would have 70%+ win rates.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users