DO 217 M tier 6 bomber

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

hoom #21 Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6366 battles
Thks :)
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

vcharng #22 Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:14 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 3387 battles

View Post_GooBz_, on 04 November 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

OP here

Only recently did I realize you only get the cap points for fully destroying each target(I am new) so I kind of have a habit of 1 bomb per target. Even the ones I drop 2 half the time they will both miss if I am at any kind of altitude.

That's where you work on reversed logic.

It's 

You need to survive=> altitude => multiple bombs per target => focus on reload speed.

Not

1 bomb per target => low altitude => can't survive and therefore can't fight.

One bomb per target for a 217 is outrageous, the more normal way is 3-3-2 or even 4-4 for bigger targets.

If you are in a T7 game and you face an exceptionally hard target such as the workshop or military base, it's not abnormal to put 5 or 6 bombs on the same target set.

wylleEcoyote #23 Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:38 AM

• 3936 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS

View Postvcharng, on 07 November 2018 - 04:14 AM, said:

It's 

You need to survive=> altitude => multiple bombs per target => focus on reload speed.

Not

One bomb per target for a 217 is outrageous, the more normal way is 3-3-2 or even 4-4 for bigger targets.

If you are in a T7 game and you face an exceptionally hard target such as the workshop or military base, it's not abnormal to put 5 or 6 bombs on the same target set.

there is a middle road between those two extremes.

Between 2000 -3000 meters you can (or at least i can with a good bomb sight and sufficient extra boom in the bombs from frag war heads and demo expert)
reliably knock out an aa gun with 1 chance in 4 that there is something left over for a GAA to kill.

Small sized collections of tents are guaranteed dead with one bomb that hits center. 

The larger ones (6-8 tents) also dead with one bomb in the center it is possible to be off a bit and have a small tent escape the blast zone but that comes with aim. 

For the larger targets with hardening  a bomb in its front door and one more at its back door will do the trick 3 or 4 times in five.

FOr something like the large complex in the middle of a plant/ stronghold i have been known to drop 3. 

ANd when all is said and done... After one pass i still have 2-3 bombs left over to finish what i started.
ANd thats where that bombsight really helps

In the end the DO 217 is just fine for getting your ordinance where you need it to go do the best damage that the situation dictates.
Its enough to kill any two groups of targets in one pass with a bit left over to finish off one or two of whatever is still standing afterwards and then its on to the next zone.

If your looking for something different, i suggest the American Bombers of 2.0.8.
I hear that their tier [edit] 7 plane eventually gets one (then two) carpet bomb attacks
that consist of 20x500lb bombs in one drop :amazed:
I dont know if the bombs release one at a time or 2 or even 4
With something like that you dont aim for just one building so much as you aim for a bunch of them lined up. and
start from one side and make a kill box that is 50, 100 or even 200 meters wide and its length is determined by how fast your going. 
While the density of bomb strikes in the kill box is determined by altitude.

Edited by wylleEcoyote, 10 November 2018 - 01:03 AM.

vcharng #24 Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:27 AM

• 3387 battles

View PostwylleEcoyote, on 08 November 2018 - 05:38 AM, said:

there is a middle road between those two extremes.

Between 2000 -3000 meters you can (or at least i can with a good bomb sight and sufficient extra boom in the bombs from frag war heads and demo expert)
reliably knock out an aa gun with 1 chance in 4 that there is something left over for a GAA to kill.

Small sized collections of tents are guaranteed dead with one bomb that hits center. 

The larger ones (6-8 tents) also dead with one bomb in the center it is possible to be off a bit and have a small tent escape the blast zone but that comes with aim. 

For the larger targets with hardening  a bomb in its front door and one more at its back door will do the trick 3 or 4 times in five.

FOr something like the large complex in the middle of a plant/ stronghold i have been known to drop 3. 

ANd when all is said and done... After one pass i still have 2-3 bombs left over to finish what i started.
ANd thats where that bombsight really helps

In the end the DO 217 is just fine for getting your ordinance where you need it to go do the best damage that the situation dictates.
Its enough to kill any two groups of targets in one pass with a bit left over to finish off one or two of whatever is still standing afterwards and then its on to the next zone.

If your looking for something different, i suggest the American Bombers of 2.0.8.
I hear that their tier 6 plane eventually gets one (then two) carpet bomb attacks
that consist of 20x500lb bombs in one drop :amazed:
I dont know if the bombs release one at a time or 2 or even 4
With something like that you dont aim for just one building so much as you aim for a bunch of them lined up. and
start from one side and make a kill box that is 50, 100 or even 200 meters wide and its length is determined by how fast your going. 
While the density of bomb strikes in the kill box is determined by altitude.

"left for a GAA to kill"

That's already bad enough, as it could also be an enemy GAA when you are taking a neutral sector.

Also, 2.0.8 would nerf low alt accuracy and buff high alt (as in "reducing the accuracy just above optimal, but increasing accuracy at high-altitude" according to the devs), so what you are saying here may soon cease to apply.

The biggest reason why I object flying below 3000 is probably because I fly a HF myself, I know how easy it is to shoot down a bomber at anything below 1600+200x(tier number) meters.

As for the B-32, I heard it's 2x10x500lb, i.e. 2 bombs per set.

_Goobz_OnYourFace #25 Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:14 AM

Senior Airman

• 438 battles
  • [SF] SF

View Postvcharng, on 07 November 2018 - 04:14 AM, said:

It's 

Not

i feel like if it was meant to drop 3 and 4 on 1 target than it should have just came with a cluster like the one before it. 

Still think the ju88 is better

vcharng #26 Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:47 AM

• 3387 battles

View Post_GooBz_, on 09 November 2018 - 05:14 AM, said:

i feel like if it was meant to drop 3 and 4 on 1 target than it should have just came with a cluster like the one before it. 

Still think the ju88 is better

Well the result is the B17G...

217 didn't have a cluster because with only 8 bombs you would like to be able to decide how many bombs you want to drop for each target.

For those of you who doesn't need the function, we have US bombers.

wylleEcoyote #27 Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:06 AM

• 3936 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS

View Postvcharng, on 08 November 2018 - 06:27 AM, said:

"left for a GAA to kill"

That's already bad enough, as it could also be an enemy GAA when you are taking a neutral sector.

Also, 2.0.8 would nerf low alt accuracy and buff high alt (as in "reducing the accuracy just above optimal, but increasing accuracy at high-altitude" according to the devs), so what you are saying here may soon cease to apply.

The biggest reason why I object flying below 3000 is probably because I fly a HF myself, I know how easy it is to shoot down a bomber at anything below 1600+200x(tier number) meters.

Considering just how maneuverable the Do217 is, i have turned around in mid pass to finish off that one out laying building

View Post_GooBz_, on 09 November 2018 - 05:14 AM, said:

Yes you can go this route if you have to. That is the point of BigDamageonDemand.
having 'just' one  500lb bomb that you can drop as many as 8 times in 8 places ...
Means that any one thing you want dead, you can make happen.

If you need to take down a mining plant by your lonesome, you can.

if the needs of the moment require you to kill that those three AAA positions that had their guns and soft buildings already removed by GAA
you can do that .
Do your best oprah impression. (Thats right! You get a bomb! and You get a bomb! and You get a bomb ...)

Is the red team 3/4 of the way to capping a Command center but they havent destroyed the radar dish and radio array?
You can turn around in the middle of a pass and address that issue quickly.

As opposed to americans which seem more focused on "kill em all and let the P-47's sort it out".

View Postvcharng, on 09 November 2018 - 05:47 AM, said:

Well the result is the B17G...

217 didn't have a cluster because with only 8 bombs you would like to be able to decide how many bombs you want to drop for each target.

For those of you who doesn't need the function, we have US bombers.

And thats great.
 After a B32 has already delivered a "All Y'all can Die in a Fire" note addressed to the whole northern half of the cap zone...
I can then at that point fly about and deliver a special "P.S. Fuq you in particular for still standing." to anything left over.

And it sure is convenient that the my nerfed reload time from a bomb site can match the buffed reload time of hardpoints on a B17 / 32
The other pilot gets points for ground damage. I get points for targets destroyed. And we both get points for Flipping the cap.
My over all speed is not dictated by slow GAA support.
And i can fly in such a way that our turrets cover each others blind spots 

Everyone wins.

Captain_Underpants53 #28 Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:43 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18221 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

Yes to all the above.  I would only point out the new American bombers are slow and ponderous.  In other words not maneuverable.  The turrets on the G and the B-32 are killer.   :teethhappy:   Too bad about the D.  :(

:medal:  +1

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

wylleEcoyote #29 Posted 13 November 2018 - 04:21 PM

• 3936 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 10 November 2018 - 03:43 AM, said:

Too bad about the D.  :(

So what your saying is all those under age planes chasing that D and its problem is that there isnt enough to go around?  :amazed:

Captain_Underpants53 #30 Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:54 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18221 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

View PostwylleEcoyote, on 13 November 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

So what your saying is all those under age planes chasing that D and its problem is that there isnt enough to go around?  :amazed:

Its problem, IMO, is the huge blind spot to the rear of the plane.  I think they over did it.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

FishyPower #31 Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:15 PM

Senior Airman

• 729 battles

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 13 November 2018 - 06:54 PM, said:

Its problem, IMO, is the huge blind spot to the rear of the plane.  I think they over did it.

Overdoing the rear is a big no no

trikke #32 Posted 24 December 2018 - 02:33 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2957 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i haven't been back to this topic since my posts months ago...   i've missed tons of great tips!

i do love bombers, but i haven't pulled the trigger on the US b-17 yet

i've watched my flight partner SFMY wiggle over multiple targets in a single carpet bomb run...  it looks like fun!

it certainly adds a new layer of advanced planning about his path through the cap

did the 2.09 patch nerf any of the US bombers?

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Captain_Underpants53 #33 Posted 24 December 2018 - 03:53 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18221 battles
  • [I_D] I_D
Some.  They took a chunk of the turret guns range away.  Since the patch, my production of dead planes has fallen by half.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

LMG #34 Posted 24 December 2018 - 07:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View Posttrikke, on 24 December 2018 - 09:33 AM, said:

i haven't been back to this topic since my posts months ago...   i've missed tons of great tips!

i do love bombers, but i haven't pulled the trigger on the US b-17 yet

i've watched my flight partner SFMY wiggle over multiple targets in a single carpet bomb run...  it looks like fun!

it certainly adds a new layer of advanced planning about his path through the cap

did the 2.09 patch nerf any of the US bombers?

Kinda. There was a universal turret nerf; damage at max range was decreased, and aim time for the turrets on ground pounders was also increased, so it takes the gunner longer to swing the turret around. In particular, the B-32 now has the highest aim time for its turrets in the game. Overall though, the only ones that were actually hurt by the patch are the turrets that were pretty bad in the first place, so German and Soviet Bombers, and low/mid-tier GAAs :(

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

comtedumas #35 Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6536 battles
  • [FK] FK

View Postvcharng, on 08 November 2018 - 01:27 AM, said:

"left for a GAA to kill"

B32 is two set of 10 500 lb bombs.  If you plan it just right, you can clear out both sides of the plants aa in one bomb load.  It’s pretty awesome to watch it land or be a GAA down in that when it’s starts landing.

Edited by comtedumas, 26 December 2018 - 09:56 PM.

Dell Inspiron 5675 Ryzen 1700X

32 GB Ram

500Gb Samsung Evo 960 game drive

Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD - CT250MX500SSD4

AMD RX 580 8GB video card.  

CorvusCorvax #36 Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:23 AM

Captain

• 2914 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View Postcomtedumas, on 26 December 2018 - 09:54 PM, said:

B32 is two set of 10 500 lb bombs.  If you plan it just right, you can clear out both sides of the plants aa in one bomb load.  It’s pretty awesome to watch it land or be a GAA down in that when it’s starts landing.

One way to avoid the turret nerf effect is to, as a bomber pilot, bring along a HF flightmate.  He takes care of annoying attackers, while you take care of flipping caps. :)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users