The Mind Set of Achieving Victory

Winning Victory Attitude

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Prenzlau #1 Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:01 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5638 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

"I don't want to get any messages saying, 'I am holding my position.' We are not holding a goddamned thing. Let the Germans do that. We are advancing constantly and we are not interested in holding onto anything, except the enemy's balls. We are going to twist his balls and kick the living **** out of him all of the time. Our basic plan of operation is to advance and to keep on advancing regardless of whether we have to go over, under, or through the enemy." ~ General George S. Patton, Spring 1944

I have to admit, that sort of speech gets my fighting spirit up. Even though this game is just a video game, we play to win and to do our best for ourselves and our team. We have fun, but not every battle is fun, and not every battle goes the way we might want it to. I know when one of those "mystery" battles occurs, you know the ones that leave you wondering how your team just lost, I find it helpful to express myself, whether it is talking to my computer screen, or even a few typed kind words. We all have are own rationality that pushes us through to the next battle or even causes us to quit, maybe for the day or night. I think part of winning, beyond the actual skill of playing and the antics of the game, is attitude. 

Disappointment is always created when expectations are not met. Sometimes losing streaks can become unbearable. In these events a person only has two directions to go. Quit and take a break, thus re-group psychologically, or change your frame of mind to something else and get back in there and fight. Sometimes it is helpful to throw any expectations out the window and just tell yourself that no matter what you are going to kill the red planes, and that is all that matters. Damn the statistics, and damn the game, your going into beast mode, now everything that comes across your path is going to be destroyed. 

"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." ~ Clint Eastwood, The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Sometimes psychologically you have to dig down deep and mentally fight back. You say to yourself, "They might get me, and it does not matter how many times, I'm not going to go quietly, I'm going to be a hard kill for the red team". It might turn your day or night around, it might actually make you a more difficult opponent, you might be surprised what a little "mean" attitude might do. 

Before the usual crowd jumps on me and launches critical missiles. I would like to point out that we are emotionally based beings, that play games for satisfaction, which comes from the enjoyment of the game. When we are frustrated, it is because expectations are not being met, either in the game or in ourselves. We often get emotional, sometimes with great negativity. The point I am trying to share is that there are avenues to channel that negativity and possibly turn it into a positive. The old phrase, "when the going gets tough, the tough get going". Sometimes you have to self motivate yourself, and from an emotional viewpoint, getting mad and angry is alright, and natural, but you always have a choice as to what to do with that anger or frustration. 

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog" ~ Mark Twain

It is hard to "up your game", and improvements in skill and adeptness within the game can take a lot of practice and patience. You are in complete control however over your mind set and attitude. That is something you control, not the game nor the other players. So sometimes you need to rely upon something more, and add a little emotion to your game. If you don't like losing and getting your a*ss shot down, then don't take it, challenge yourself, challenge the game, and challenge the other players. Don't go over board and behave badly and bust things up in the real world, but determination and fortitude are emotional actions. Be determined and carry some attitude and swagger into the battle. Control the elements that you can control, and start to believe in yourself by changing your mind set. 

Last year at this time my winning percentage was 46%! Now it is over 70%! I can admit that I progressed at this game through practice and becoming very good at flying bombers. I will honestly say that I became determined to win and become a higher skilled pilot with a lot of it being just attitude. Someone I know in this game, a highly skilled pilot, told me back when I was around 50% with my win rate that I basically was not a great pilot, and at the time it kind of stung because I wanted to be considered as skilled and respected. So I embarked on a personal campaign to rise up through the ranks, and the force behind that was simply determination. Now I realize that win percentage is not the whole story behind what kind of a player a person is, and I am not implying that. I had goals, and I played this game almost everyday since last October and everyday I inched closer to my goals. Don't tell me it cannot be done, and don't tell me that anyone cannot do it. Find your place, find what you are good at, befriend great people, and set your goals and then get the determination to fight for those goals. 

I know attitude counts, in anything you participate in. If you want to get from point A to point B, you have to have a plan and then the will to carry it out. Not everyone is going to find value from this topic, not everyone will agree with me perhaps. I've always believed that you have to control the things you can control instead of worrying about the things you cannot. Your mind set and attitude is something anyone can control and use to your advantage. 

I'm going to close with one of my favorite quotes from Muhammad Ali and something I completely agree with. 

"Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even."

All your loses and experience matters. People who have many loses are not without experience or skill. The game may have been unkind and for some it is difficult to play and succeed. If you like playing the game, then don't give up. This goes beyond the issues with the game and popular expectations, this is personal for each person, it is their journey. 

I wish you all the greatest of fortune in your upcoming battles and the greatest success. Go give' em Hell!

Prenzlau

Content Added

It has been brought to my attention that I left out things like sportsmanship and camaraderie. That was not intentional on my part for I was going to write a whole piece of that side of competition. The reality of online games is that they are as competitive as you make them, and not everyone is on board with being super competitive, some people just want to play. The spirit of the article above is more of an inspirational work, meant to inspire/motivate people and give them perspective. Not to create ill mannered sore losers. I'm also really at a loss to understand why there has been no feedback? Therefore I really have no idea if the people who have read it like it, hate it or otherwise. 

I enjoy feedback both positive and negative as long as it is not an endless string of personal snipes and attacks. When you read what I write, not matter what it is, ask yourselves one thing, what have you written lately? I don't mean to be crass or blunt, but for good or ill I contribute with the intention to help people and sometimes people are helped through realization, even the things they reject they have to contemplate. 

Prenzlau

Content Moderated by HeadlockMvnky

Edited by HeadlockMvnky, 11 October 2018 - 10:09 PM.

The Zigfreid & Prenzlau Bombing Company

"We're not just delivering the mail..."

Booze_Morgan #2 Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:06 PM

Senior Airman

• 70 battles
Well put categorically.   This is how on a number of occasions when my team was by all appearances beaten, we came back to win. It was by advancing to the next sector no matter what, never surrendering in battle or in the heart, and taking it TO the enemy no matter what.

_A_3_ #3 Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:26 AM

Master Sergeant

• 56 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
Might get better help from your shrink if you stopped paying them

Captain_Underpants53 #4 Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:05 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 12557 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

It is really a dang shame that we have a history of personal attacks at every opportunity.  You sometimes make a lot of sense.

But too much water under the bridge and all that.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

CorvusCorvax #5 Posted Yesterday, 01:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1453 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 12 October 2018 - 01:05 AM, said:

But too much water under the bridge and all that.

Never.  It is never too late.  You just have to decide if holding on to your anger is worth the effort.

Captain_Underpants53 #6 Posted Yesterday, 03:53 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 12557 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 13 October 2018 - 08:44 PM, said:

Never.  It is never too late.  You just have to decide if holding on to your anger is worth the effort.

Stop making sense!  Makes my head hurt.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Also tagged with Winning, Victory, Attitude

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users